Nathan Cleary

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2413
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Nathan Cleary

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 8:15 pm

Looking through the junior rep teams Twal, Liddle and Cleary played together in the NSW U20s team.


goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 8:19 pm

I agree that that is that could determine where they go. He,d be mad to ask him to come here if we aren't looking a hell of a lot better than we are now. I can't see any father dropping their son in it like that.
The interesting thing though, is that other clubs may not be as keen about a double act
If he can't get that improvement into us. .
I hope we aren't getting updates on the situation regularly next season,

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:32 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 8:19 pm
I agree that that is that could determine where they go. He,d be mad to ask him to come here if we aren't looking a hell of a lot better than we are now. I can't see any father dropping their son in it like that.
The interesting thing though, is that other clubs may not be as keen about a double act
If he can't get that improvement into us. .
I hope we aren't getting updates on the situation regularly next season,
I agree. This all has the potential to be a huge distraction next season, with Brooks looking over his shoulder at the beginning of a new 2 year contract. If Brooks is to improve (and he needs to), he will need some clear air, not constant speculation about his potential replacement.

To be honest, I'm disappointed in Ivan for even talking about this as we head into what may be our most anticipated off season for many a year.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25145
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 391 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:40 pm

Cleary has backed Brooks repeatedly..

We would be mad though if we didn't look at the best options in the future whist staying focused on the present..

It's what goods Clubs do..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by TYGA » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 11:12 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:32 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 8:19 pm
I agree that that is that could determine where they go. He,d be mad to ask him to come here if we aren't looking a hell of a lot better than we are now. I can't see any father dropping their son in it like that.
The interesting thing though, is that other clubs may not be as keen about a double act
If he can't get that improvement into us. .
I hope we aren't getting updates on the situation regularly next season,
I agree. This all has the potential to be a huge distraction next season, with Brooks looking over his shoulder at the beginning of a new 2 year contract. If Brooks is to improve (and he needs to), he will need some clear air, not constant speculation about his potential replacement.

To be honest, I'm disappointed in Ivan for even talking about this as we head into what may be our most anticipated off season for many a year.
I don’t agree it’s smart play in every sense. There is a reason he signed Benji and it’s not just as a mentor.
Brooks needs real heat on him which, he is going to get.
Play well otherwise Benji steps in if not your replacement is signed November 1 next year. If Brooks can’t perform under pressure he will be moved on anyway.
From a personal sense he is making sure his son gets paid fairly as Penrith are well run and sign players for unders which is what they just tried to do with Nathan.


supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6448
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 12:46 am

If Brooks plays to his potential he doesn’t have to worry about Cleary, because he will also be in big demand. We all tend to bag Brooks, but gee I have seen some bog average no7’s playing for the WT over the years who at their best were no better than Brooks on a bad day

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36285
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 1:00 am

supercoach wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 12:46 am
If Brooks plays to his potential he doesn’t have to worry about Cleary, because he will also be in big demand. We all tend to bag Brooks, but gee I have seen some bog average no7’s playing for the WT over the years who at their best were no better than Brooks on a bad day
Brooks needs to find another gear or two and find much needed consistency to match Cleary

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 8:42 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:40 pm
Cleary has backed Brooks repeatedly..

We would be mad though if we didn't look at the best options in the future whist staying focused on the present..

It's what goods Clubs do..
I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at the options, and Nathan is just what we need,and I hope that He does come here.
And They can talk about it as much as they like at home.
But it doesn't have to be played out in the media, all the way through next season, there's been to much said about it by Ivan already in the last three weeks.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18806
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 10:38 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 8:42 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:40 pm
Cleary has backed Brooks repeatedly..

We would be mad though if we didn't look at the best options in the future whist staying focused on the present..

It's what goods Clubs do..
I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at the options, and Nathan is just what we need,and I hope that He does come here.
And They can talk about it as much as they like at home.
But it doesn't have to be played out in the media, all the way through next season, there's been to much said about it by Ivan already in the last three weeks.
If its played out in the media, at least its for a player we have a chance of signing as opposed to losing, which is a nice change given the last 18 months.

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 4946
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm
Has liked: 439 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 12:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 1:00 am
supercoach wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 12:46 am
If Brooks plays to his potential he doesn’t have to worry about Cleary, because he will also be in big demand. We all tend to bag Brooks, but gee I have seen some bog average no7’s playing for the WT over the years who at their best were no better than Brooks on a bad day
Brooks needs to find another gear or two and find much needed consistency to match Cleary
Spot on Happy, Brooks for all his talent has delivered bugger all, had a free ride under no pressure of being dropped.
He needs to have pressure on his position to maybe wake the sleeping giant, if not see you later.
Look at easts, they have the origin halfback, but they go and buy the australian halfback, if a better option comes up you take it.
Go hard or go home

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 1:11 pm

Brooks is frustrating - because he has all the skills just not the smarts. Playing on instinct is fine if you are smart but if not much is going on upstairs - disastrous. Not sure how Luke prepares himself for games but something in his approach has to change. Maybe Benji is exactly what he needs.

westy81
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 1:29 am
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by westy81 » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 12:10 pm

Who knows maybe brooks will be a much better player next year with a much better forward pack in front of him
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

kevinmcguiness
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:18 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by kevinmcguiness » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 12:34 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 1:11 pm
Brooks is frustrating - because he has all the skills just not the smarts. Playing on instinct is fine if you are smart but if not much is going on upstairs - disastrous. Not sure how Luke prepares himself for games but something in his approach has to change. Maybe Benji is exactly what he needs.
i don't understand how he keeps kicking the ball dead and someone like ash taylor always finds the in goal

User avatar
Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 3:37 pm

Here's another article on the Panthers..from a couple of days ago by Paul Kent.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... m=Facebook

Disappearing halves leave Panthers’ plan at sixes and sevens
Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
November 17, 2017 7:31pm

PENRITH’S famous five-year plan, about to enter its seventh season, must not include halves.

This season the Panthers have released Te Maire Martin, once considered one of the bright ones.

They also released Matt Moylan. He left for Cronulla just a year after the club signed him to a five-year deal and regarded him as the cornerstone of their future.

And Nathan Cleary might be the next to go.

This week Cleary’s father, Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary, told NRL.com plans are back on the table for father and son to work together.

“Basically we’re both coming to the opinion that we’d like to play together. It’s just a question of timing really,” Ivan Cleary said.

Could Nathan and Ivan Cleary work together one day?
“He’s still got two years to go at the Panthers and I think that’s good for him. He’s not in a hurry to decide that, but we both realise that this situation is a pretty unique opportunity.

“I was always conscious of never wanting to put him in a position that compromises him being up front.

“But the further (his career) is going I’m getting more confident it won’t be a problem. But we’re not thinking about it too much right now. Probably in 12 months time it will be more relevant.”

Like everything in rugby league, the interest is more what Cleary can’t say than what he did.

Nathan Cleary is contracted until the end of 2019 and unable to negotiate with rival clubs until November 1 next year. Then he begins the final season of his contract.

Ivan, as the Tigers coach, is unable to talk to his own son about his future.

But Nathan still lives at home with mum and dad and that doesn’t stop father and son from talking generally about football and what that might include.

Not that Ivan will be the only coach interested in Nathan when he is available. It probably hasn’t escaped the Roosters’ notice that Nathan comes of contract on the first day their latest investment, Cooper Cronk, walks into retirement.

Whether they like it or not the Panthers are already in a battle to retain Cleary. And they might be losing it.

Phil Gould, the general manager of football, has absolute authority at the club. He continually gets lacerated for his “five-year plan” to win a premiership even though he actually said it would take “half a decade” to get the salary cap in order which, most presumed, also meant it would have them in premiership contention.

It was welcoming news at the time. Finally the club was going to prepare for long-term success.

Yet in that time Gould has sacked Ivan Cleary because he took a look at him at a press conference after Penrith played Parramatta in Darwin and decided he looked “tired”. The Penrith board did not know Cleary was sacked until they read about it.

Being sleepy was a new one when it came to sacking coaches. Most clubs would have tossed in some spending money and sent the coach on a holiday and told him not to come back until the new year.

Gould and Cleary were already butting heads, though. Cleary wanted to release Jamie Soward and James Segeyaro but Gould denied him. Gould then released them the following season, after he sacked Cleary.

Phil Gould has absolute authority at Penrith.
Cleary wanted to keep Api Koroisau but Gould released him. There were a number of disagreements about roster management.

Gould had always stated that his intention was to get the club in such a place it would make his job redundant.

It just might have been.

There was tension between them and Gould won.

Still, the club trusted Gould’s decision because he was building towards something. Successful clubs plan for the long term. It’s hard to see how that still exists.

Moylan is 26 and Martin is 22. Yet they are gone. James Maloney was bought to replace Moylan and he is 31. It makes for an odd future if you are planning for long-term success.

It leaves Cleary as the future of the club and yet we saw him exposed in the playoffs this year when he was left with no Plan B in the game plan when Brisbane refused to surrender their tryline.

At the time, Moylan was stood down because he had “personal” issues.

“Personal issues”, or words to that effect, are a euphemism for mental-welfare issues, which we also know are phrases increasingly being used by clubs and players to discourage further examination.

Don’t ask, don’t pry, you just might tip our guy over the edge. It’s a Get Out Of Jail Free card for clubs with internal trouble.

Moylan has told friends his reasons for wanting out were nothing more than he could not stand Anthony Griffin any longer.

He was offended at the insinuation he had mental-health issues and now he has landed at Cronulla after he stuck solid on his refusal to work with coach Griffin, who Gould appointed to replace Cleary without interviewing anybody else.

Te Maire Martin left Penrith to join the Cowboys.
Martin was let go because Griffin believed he was too small and not tough enough to play in the NRL.

He went to North Queensland and slipped in immediately. He was a solid performer in the Cowboys’ unlikely drive to a grand final appearance and on Saturday will run out as the starting five-eighth in New Zealand’s World Cup quarter-final against Fiji.

Individually, all these decisions and actions can be justified.

Collectively, it begins to look a little shaky.

Salary cap management is a da Vinci notebook, a mix of science and art. Everybody wins and loses, the trick being to win more than you lose.

It’s hard to see the Panthers are moving forward here, or whether they have been for some time..
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 5:51 pm

TYGA wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 11:12 pm
sideline eye wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:32 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Nov, 2017 8:19 pm
I agree that that is that could determine where they go. He,d be mad to ask him to come here if we aren't looking a hell of a lot better than we are now. I can't see any father dropping their son in it like that.
The interesting thing though, is that other clubs may not be as keen about a double act
If he can't get that improvement into us. .
I hope we aren't getting updates on the situation regularly next season,
I agree. This all has the potential to be a huge distraction next season, with Brooks looking over his shoulder at the beginning of a new 2 year contract. If Brooks is to improve (and he needs to), he will need some clear air, not constant speculation about his potential replacement.


I don’t agree it’s smart play in every sense. There is a reason he signed Benji and it’s not just as a mentor.
Brooks needs real heat on him which, he is going to get.
Play well otherwise Benji steps in if not your replacement is signed November 1 next year. If Brooks can’t perform under pressure he will be moved on anyway.
From a personal sense he is making sure his son gets paid fairly as Penrith are well run and sign players for unders which is what they just tried to do with Nathan.
To be honest, I'm disappointed in Ivan for even talking about this as we head into what may be our most anticipated off season for many a year.
I am taking those last words to heart. I totally agree. Brooks stayed, and will probably want to stay.
If he suddenly thinks " OK Nathan Cleary is going to take my spot no matter what...." Then he will be a bunch of nerves.

Personally I think Brooks is borderline half, borderline 5/8. We could move Brooks to 5/8 and move Reynolds to Center (or Hooker as everyone suggests). But Brooks needs a clear season under Ivan and should have a fair run for 18/19.

Naturally if Brooks does not perform because he hasn't performed. He can be dropped to reserve half and Marshall can take up the spot. If he is performing... well it could ruin 2019.

Ivan, keep talking about the bus and let your son play for Penrith till 2020.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Eddie » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 10:51 am

Brooks has a prettygoodforward pack this year for mine.

Time for excuses for him are over.

Perform this year or start planning for life after him.

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1682
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm
Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 11:31 am

Was it just coincidental that Ivan only signed Brooks for 2 years, knowing Nathan was off contract at the same time.

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue 20 Aug, 2013 3:03 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 11:48 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 11:31 am
Was it just coincidental that Ivan only signed Brooks for 2 years, knowing Nathan was off contract at the same time.
Me thinks not!!

Post Reply

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”