Nathan Cleary

Skip

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by Skip » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:30 am

Thought he was quiet tonight, good defensively but overall quiet. Can only get better from here
"It's not because i'm lazy, it's because i don't care"

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 7:20 am

No to any long term contract for Ivan.

The trouble with long term contracts is that the game can change and leave a coach stuck in his ways. Ask Sheens, ask Hasler.

Cleary hasnt shown enough adaptability with our attack to give you the confidence to sign long term. He has done a million things right but he still has it all to prove. We flat out cant score points!

We cant make club decisions based on a Penrith player.
Its an opinion!

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 7:37 am

Telltails wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:13 am
Goddam its hard not to like everything about the Cleary's.
Gus will move mountains to keep Nathan -kept referring to how good Maloney and he play together and the positive infuence he has on his game.
They are going to have at least three clubs doing their best to lure them.
Gus shouldn’t have sacked Ivan so brutally, pay way through the rebuild. I think that rules Penrith out. I think if we show Ivan that we are serious and committed to building a sustainable, winning culture then we should retain Ivan. Who knows what’s going to happen at roosters, politis is on his last legs.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:18 am

NC is a quality player, but if he was to come to us we would have to find some quality players to build around him, other wise he will be in the same boat as Brooks is in now. In fact I would say Brooks offers more in a battling team as he has the speed factor, but in a good team NC probably is a far better game manager.

Anyway basically unless we can get some real speed and power across a few positions young NC will struggle if he came to the WT's

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:37 am

supercoach wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:18 am
NC is a quality player, but if he was to come to us we would have to find some quality players to build around him, other wise he will be in the same boat as Brooks is in now. In fact I would say Brooks offers more in a battling team as he has the speed factor, but in a good team NC probably is a far better game manager.

Anyway basically unless we can get some real speed and power across a few positions young NC will struggle if he came to the WT's
I was actually thinking during the game last night how good it would be to see Brooks play in a team filled with a heap of talent and speed like the NSW team.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:49 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:37 am
supercoach wrote:

I was actually thinking during the game last night how good it would be to see Brooks play in a team filled with a heap of talent and speed like the NSW team.
I agree, put him in a top team and he might be a world beater. We will never now while he is playing in the slowest NRL team since the dark ages. Its amazing he has been so good this year when you consider we have zero strike power.

Anyway plenty of room for both of them, but I would imagine if NC comes Brooks will go. That is based purely on the salary cap and how it is spread over the roster

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:26 am

Thought Nathan was solid without being spectacular. For a 20yr old on debut, he will only get better.

I'm a fan of Gus Gould, but his gushing comments about Nathan all night were a little over the top.

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:31 am

Skip wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:30 am
Thought he was quiet tonight, good defensively but overall quiet. Can only get better from here
He was pretty ordinary wasn't he. His defence is great so he can play ordinary and still get a pass mark. Maloney has been carrying him but Maloney is the best half in the game at the moment.

I'd love to see him and Brooks together though.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:38 am

Put Brooks in the best team and he might be a world beater?
OMG
It's like saying put Mick Gillett in the Invincibles and he might be a world beater?
Or put Christian Laettner in the Dream Team and he might be a world beater (oh...right...)

Give me a break with the Brooks gushing already. It's OTT. Cleary is soooo much better than him it's not funny. And he has played less than half the time!
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Post by 851 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:23 am

bigsiro wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:38 am
OMG
It's like saying put Mick Gillett in the Invincibles and he might be a world beater?
Or put Christian Laettner in the Dream Team and he might be a world beater (oh...right...)

Give me a break with the Brooks gushing already. It's OTT. Cleary is soooo much better than him it's not funny. And he has played less than half the time!
Careful champ, the guns will be out you can't bag Brooks, but you are right, Cleary is 20, he is so far more advanced than Brooks who is 23 and been playing NRL since last round 2013.
Brooks is coming on this year, but Cleary never took 4 years to come on, he was on from the get go, a Brooks 6 Cleary 7 combo could be one to take us to the top though.
Go hard or go home

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:05 pm

851 wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:23 am
bigsiro wrote:
OMG

Careful champ, the guns will be out you can't bag Brooks, but you are right, Cleary is 20, he is so far more advanced than Brooks who is 23 and been playing NRL since last round 2013.
Brooks is coming on this year, but Cleary never took 4 years to come on, he was on from the get go, a Brooks 6 Cleary 7 combo could be one to take us to the top though.
That's true, but in fairness to Brooks he didn't step into a Top 4 side like NC has. Not taking anything away from Cleary, he's awesome, but Brooks has been playing behind an average forward pack for years (the backline hasn't been too flash either).

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:19 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:05 pm
851 wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:23 am
bigsiro wrote:
OMG

That's true, but in fairness to Brooks he didn't step into a Top 4 side like NC has. Not taking anything away from Cleary, he's awesome, but Brooks has been playing behind an average forward pack for years (the backline hasn't been too flash either).
Thats my point...Of course there are exception, but history will tell you most very good players come from strong clubs.

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:36 pm

supercoach wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:49 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:37 am
supercoach wrote:

I agree, put him in a top team and he might be a world beater. We will never now while he is playing in the slowest NRL team since the dark ages. Its amazing he has been so good this year when you consider we have zero strike power.

Anyway plenty of room for both of them, but I would imagine if NC comes Brooks will go. That is based purely on the salary cap and how it is spread over the roster
I was thinking the same thing, if Cleary comes over theres a big chance Brooks will leave. I'd take Brooks over Cleary
"It's not because i'm lazy, it's because i don't care"

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:26 pm

I thought Cleary was pretty good last night. QLD had constant line speed (offside) and targeted him all night. He didn't throw any dumb passes and wore the body shots if they closed too quickly.

His long kicking game was uninspiring but so was Maloney's, due to said line speed.

20 year old playing in a winning Origin team in his debut - given that perspective, I thought he did well.

schnobob

Post by schnobob » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:58 pm

yeh
Last edited by schnobob on Mon 11 Jun, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:39 pm

Benji will retire this year or next, lolohea will be off contract and Reynolds is too injury prone to be our only decent option at 6. I really hope that Ivan can fit in all three.

1. Mbye
6. Brooks
7. Cleary
9. Liddle
14. jrey

I think having Cleary there will only improve brooks game. He's not a big talker and would go well at 5/8 or have him and Cleary play different sides of the field.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:50 pm

I don't know. As much as I'd love to have Nathan on board, I more want our coach to stick around. I'm not at all convinced that Nathan and Luke would work well together. Sometimes it doesn't gel. But, I guess you just have to put faith in the coach.
The conflict of interest which would come with having your son as your main play maker and highest payed team member is also fraught with potential instability. Let's not be blinkered on this. If it worked though......booyaaaahhhh!!

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm

I see Brooks having a similar style to Maloney just Brooks is younger, faster and this year a better defender.

I think they would work well together however, even if they didn't i would rather be in the position of having to let one go rather than never knowing if they would work together.