Re: Nathan Cleary

Unread post by jirskyr » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:51 am

southerntiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 6:25 am
Fumbles wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:28 pm
Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 8:31 pm
I don't think he will come and by all accounts he has similar deficiencies in defence to our guys.
Cleary is miles ahead of Brooks and Moses in every aspect of the game.
No one has similar deficiencies to Brooks and Moses. They are world leaders in missed tackles.
Cleary might miss a a tackle or two but he is a good defender plus his only 18 and played 16 games.
What's Brooks and Moses's excuse?
I don't rate N Cleary as highly as many do and I suspect he benefits greatly from playing behind one of the best packs in the comp.

I wonder how effective he would be behind our sack of pillows.
It's not just that, he's played 18 games total, not even a full season. His team is doing alright and they are a good pack as you note, but I can think of so many halves who hit the ground running but can't necessarily sustain that over multiple seasons.

So the kid looks calm and collected, looks like a really sensible footballer, but how about if his team misses the finals for a few years, or if a few injuries strike?

People said all this stuff about Brooks after 20-odd games... and he hasn't really gotten any better since then.

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:05 am

magpiecol wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 7:00 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 9:36 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 9:27 pm
Young Cleary is signed to the end of 2019 I think.
Big deal all Contracts are broken these Days.
Would swap Brooks and Moses to the Panthers as a package deal to see Cleary in our colours but these guys got the Club by the Curlies and the Club are stupid enough to pay overs .
So, all contracts are broken?

Wow!!
Don't over think things with your 1 sentence replies :brick: .

If a Club wants to they drop players to Reserve Grade and force there hand in breaking Contracts and moving them on Farah , Shaun Fenson are 2 players that come to mind that have had that treatment .
Farah played the hard ball approach but eventually you will act.

Keiran Foran played his cards to break his Contract with the Eels.
Also for e.g if Broncos had a halfback coming through that they would like to bring him on a year early that could be tempting for a Club as Ben Hunt won't be there from 2018 onwards and can force an early release .
There are ways of breaking Contracts Nathan Clearly said himself that he had a clause in his Contract that allowed him to break the terms if his Father Coached another NRL side , he then has had that removed in his new deal but there are ways for Players and Clubs to break up deals .
There are all different types of clauses inserted in all players Contract that allow them to break away from Contracts .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Tigertigertiger

Unread post by Tigertigertiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:35 am

Tigers V Panthers game scenario

If Ivan gets the coaching gig and a Tigers player coat hangers his son, what mixed emotions Ivan will have....

Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 101 times

Unread post by 851 » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 1:03 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 7:00 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 9:36 pm
magpiecol wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 9:27 pm
Young Cleary is signed to the end of 2019 I think.
Big deal all Contracts are broken these Days.
Would swap Brooks and Moses to the Panthers as a package deal to see Cleary in our colours but these guys got the Club by the Curlies and the Club are stupid enough to pay overs .
So, all contracts are broken?

Wow!!
Tapau, Sironen, Tim Grant, ElijahTaylor, Farah all under contract and left, and that is just a few around our club
Go hard or go home

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:14 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:51 am
southerntiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 6:25 am
Fumbles wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:28 pm
Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2017 8:31 pm
I don't think he will come and by all accounts he has similar deficiencies in defence to our guys.
Cleary is miles ahead of Brooks and Moses in every aspect of the game.
No one has similar deficiencies to Brooks and Moses. They are world leaders in missed tackles.
Cleary might miss a a tackle or two but he is a good defender plus his only 18 and played 16 games.
What's Brooks and Moses's excuse?
I don't rate N Cleary as highly as many do and I suspect he benefits greatly from playing behind one of the best packs in the comp.

I wonder how effective he would be behind our sack of pillows.
It's not just that, he's played 18 games total, not even a full season. His team is doing alright and they are a good pack as you note, but I can think of so many halves who hit the ground running but can't necessarily sustain that over multiple seasons.

So the kid looks calm and collected, looks like a really sensible footballer, but how about if his team misses the finals for a few years, or if a few injuries strike?

People said all this stuff about Brooks after 20-odd games... and he hasn't really gotten any better since then.
Thats how I see it. I also see a lot less upside to Cleary's game. He does the simple things well, and that may be enough, but he is not fast for a young kid and I suspect his lack of pace will be even more telling as he ages.

Re your 20 games point, I am a big english football fan and one thing I have observed is that most strikers have 1 or 2 good seasons at a maximum. It is only the genuine champions - Linekar, Shearer, Drogba - that succeed over a continuous period. The reason for this is that opposing teams work them out. They know which way they will turn, how much speed needs to be accommodated etc. I see the same thing for halves in rugby league.

sideline eye
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:08 pm

He's more than a coach: Elijah Taylor backs Ivan Cleary as Wests Tigers coach

Michael Chammas

Wests Tigers lock Elijah Taylor says the club will get more than just a football coach if they appoint his former coach Ivan Cleary as Jason Taylor's successor.

The Tigers forward says he was stunned the club decided to axe Taylor after three rounds and believed the club had acted prematurely in sacking the coach following back-to-back losses.

However it's opened the door for his former Warriors and Panthers coach to take the reins at Concord.

"He gave me my debut opportunity at the Warriors back in 2011," Taylor said of Cleary.

"That was my debut season and training full time with the Warriors when I was 18. I followed him to Penrith and we all know what happened there. You want to play for him. He's a coach you want to play for. He's a family man. He puts trust in the players to play what they see and freedom to the players.

"A lot of the Penrith boys keep in touch with Ivan. It's just that relationship. He's more than a coach. A lot of the Penrith boys that we had hope to see him get a coaching job... He's the type of coach that will fit in everywhere. When he was coaching at the Warriors, all three grades were in the grand final on grand final day. it says a lot about recruitment and the way he handles and manages players. That's one of his strongest assets - man management. But I can't choose the coach – I have no power there."

While Taylor will no doubt be ecstatic to work under the man he followed from the Warriors to Penrith, where he was shown the door by Anthony Griffin, he couldn't hide his disappointment over the clubs' decision to part ways with their coach.

"A lot falls on the players. The last two performances haven't been up to par. It's not the coach out there dropping the ball. It's not the coach out there controlling our energy or missing tackles," he said.

"That's our job as footy players. But round three...I thought it was a bit early. It caught me off guard big time. We'll see what happens. We just finished four months of finishing an off season with a coach and now he's gone. It's round three and we play the Storm this weekend. We'll have to dig deep and work hard for each other.

"Just the timing – and that JT brought me from Penrith. Just the timing – round three. We have another four months of footy to play. I thought it was too early. I played at the Warriors in 2011 when we lost our first three games but still made the grand final."

This is the third club in which Taylor has experienced a changing of the coach.

There has been a suggestion Jason Taylor restricted Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses' attacking flair during his time at the club, but Elijah disagreed.

"Coming in as a fresh pair of eyes from a strict regime under Anthony Griffin, they had a lot of freedom under JT," he said of the halves.

"They still have a lot of freedom now. They had the freedom to play what they see under JT. They'll have that freedom with whatever coach comes in because they are so dangerous and you don't want to restrict players like that."

jirskyr
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 12:01 am

Interesting ET's comments, he still comments like a new guy, a lot of outsider-type view. A refreshing sort of take on things.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 333 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 7:47 am

Taylor is all class...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:41 am

Nice balance in his comments. It would be tough when he has a high opinion of both of them. He has the potential to be caught between a rock and a hard place, but he handled it well. Sympathises with JT and that he believed his sacking was premature, yet fully endorsed Cleary at the same time.

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:04 am

His comments are very diplomatic re Taylor and Griffin. He obviously holds Cleary in very high regard which would please the Tigers hierarchy no end given his is the favourite to get the coaching job!!

jrtiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by jrtiger » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm

Dear Ivan,

Please ensure that Nathan doesn't sign a long term deal with Penrith to come to us in a few years and create a dynasty that is untouchable.

Regards,

JR and the rest of the Wests Tigers fan base.

Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 101 times

Unread post by 851 » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 2:07 pm

jrtiger wrote:
Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm
Dear Ivan,

Please ensure that Nathan doesn't sign a long term deal with Penrith to come to us in a few years and create a dynasty that is untouchable.

Regards,

Hard to imagine the kid is just 19 with 30 odd NRL games to his name, and yet Brooks has had nearly 80 games and isn't half the player that Cleary is
Go hard or go home

weststigerman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by weststigerman » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 2:12 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 13 Aug, 2017 2:07 pm
jrtiger wrote:
Dear Ivan,

Regards,

Hard to imagine the kid is just 19 with 30 odd NRL games to his name, and yet Brooks has had nearly 80 games and isn't half the player that Cleary is
Why? Cleary is the best young half in the game, and Brooks is not at that level. Not many halfbacks under 25 are at Cleary's level, not hard to imagine at all.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 2:31 pm

weststigerman wrote:
Sun 13 Aug, 2017 2:12 pm
851 wrote:
jrtiger wrote:
Dear Ivan,

Regards,

Why? Cleary is the best young half in the game, and Brooks is not at that level. Not many halfbacks under 25 are at Cleary's level, not hard to imagine at all.
Sort of like wondering why Jack Wighton isn't on Tedesco's level having been around the same amount of time. Different level's of players.

Earl
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 3:01 pm

weststigerman wrote:
851 wrote:
jrtiger wrote:
Dear Ivan,

Regards,

Comparing Brooks to Cleary isn't fair. We should also be honest and Brooks wasn't much worse than Cleary when we played them.

Brooks does have a lot to improve in his game but I don't think he is that bad.

Earl
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 3:03 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 13 Aug, 2017 2:31 pm
weststigerman wrote:
851 wrote:
jrtiger wrote:
Dear Ivan,

Regards,

Sort of like wondering why Jack Wighton isn't on Tedesco's level having been around the same amount of time. Different level's of players.
Yep. Brooks could still be a good NRL level player. Cleary could be a good rep level player.

TIGER
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 8:34 pm

It's pretty simple, if we don't get a really top notch halfback we go nowhere in this competition.
We can sign as many players for next season and beyond as we like but if Brooks doesn't improve 200% we'll go nowhere.
Same goes for our no 9, if Liddle turns out a dud we go nowhere.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 8:50 pm

Cronulla won a comp with Chad Townsend in the 7...
Not that simple

Return to “Player Contract Rumours & Discussion”