Nathan Cleary

Seantice

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by Seantice » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 3:03 pm

Comment: Why Nathan Cleary has one foot out the door at Penrith
February 4, 2018 7:18pm ESTFebruary 4, 2018 7:18pm ESTThey say revenge is a dish best served cold.

Adam Lucius
Updated at 7:18 p.m. ET

They say revenge is a dish best served cold.

MORE: Penrith fans divided over Bryce Cartwright's departure | The frightening statistic your NRL club needs to address before 2018

If that’s the case, then Penrith could soon be delivered a frozen sh*t pie – family size.

The chances of Nathan Cleary staying at the Panthers beyond 2019 appear as likely as Gus Gould winning this year’s series of The Bachelor.

Nathan has watched on quietly over the past year as Te Maire Martin, Leilani Latu, Matt Moylan and now Bryce Cartwright departed the foot of the mountains for new starts elsewhere.

Four talented footballers – two of them prized local juniors – gone quicker than free beer.

At least two of those teammates left due to dramas unrelated to football, either in their personal lives or with those in charge at Penrith.

Phil Gould’s decision to punt Ivan Cleary as Penrith coach at the end of the 2015 season caused the coach’s family massive heartache and upheaval.

The reasons given by Gus – that Cleary was burnt out and in need of a break – only added to the angst and confusion.

Cleary felt neither burn-out or in need of a long holiday.

He and his family had invested heavily in the club and the local area and were in for the long haul.

Yet Gus said at the time: “It was the right decision for Ivan, and for the club.”

You could argue Gould was wrong on both counts.

Ivan was given plenty of opportunities to fire back at the time but politely declined every media request.

He’s been around rugby league long enough to know shooting off your mouth, especially if your target is the powerful Gould, won’t get you far and that another chance is never too far away.

But in a delicious irony, Cleary is now in a position to torpedo Penrith’s long-term future by luring son Nathan away to join him at Wests Tigers in 2020.

Nathan’s management team has shelved contract talks with the Panthers in a clear sign the half-back is seriously considering not extending his stay beyond next season.

Ivan and Nathan are extremely close and would love to be at the same club again sometime in the future.

Ivan won’t coerce Nathan into walking out on the Panthers to join the Tigers, but he may not need to.

Nathan saw first-hand the devastation Ivan’s sacking caused the family and won’t be swayed by any sense of loyalty to Penrith.

Want sauce with that pie?

I agree. Gould had shot himself in the foot. Cleary will cone here I think.

OzLukeH

Post by OzLukeH » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 3:08 pm

I also managed to read in some trashy article where I can't remember is that the roosters want both of the cleary boys.....

but who knows how many players the roosters will squeeze into their sombrero

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 3:38 pm

2020 seems so far away.

2 full seasons is a long , long time. If he was a chance of playing for us in '19 I could see the interest but speculating this far out seems a little pointless. If Wests bomb this season, have a rough start to 19 then his dad could very well no longer be at the club (if our recent history is any guide).

Not saying that I hope it wont happen, just will be very surprised if everything works out perfectly enabling that scenario...i think supporting this club has made me jaded.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 3:56 pm

We will have to show some real promise over the next 18 months to keep one Cleary and attract another. I am sure both will be offered very tempting offers to join a heavy weight club. Brooks might take his game to another level, but young Cleary's kicking game will always make him a better no7 than Brooks

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 4:15 pm

If, a big if yes I know, but if we could land Cleary Jr for 2020, signing him in early November 2018, then Penrith could certainly be pushed to release him early and we get him for 2019 as well. It happens all the time, why not for us.

Gould would be filthy. Maybe we could offer them Brooksy?
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 4:50 pm

Would people see it as a conflict of interest if Cleary Snr lured Cleary Jr on a massive contract to WT?

After Cleary Snr has been signing no superstars, has no big name players on big money, then signs only one and it's his own son... Personally I think it would be good for the club, but am worried that people might turn on them both if it didn't go well. Saying that Cleary Snr looked out for family first above club.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 4:57 pm

The old adage " Don't tread on the toes today that are connected to the arse you might have to lick tomorrow"

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 6:10 pm

I reckon that this is all just media drivel at the moment. I do think that both Cleary's would have discussed it though.

It's just going to be a matter of seeing how both clubs are going and what money is on offer.

We also can't go crazy trying to get Nathan to the TIgers. Admittedly he is at least a billion classes above the 3 that have recently left us and he isn't as dumb as one Mr Suli. You still though need a quality team around him for him to be a success.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 6:22 pm

Even if it doesnt happen its amusing to see Gus sweat.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 6:32 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Mon 05 Feb, 2018 4:50 pm
Would people see it as a conflict of interest if Cleary Snr lured Cleary Jr on a massive contract to WT?

After Cleary Snr has been signing no superstars, has no big name players on big money, then signs only one and it's his own son... Personally I think it would be good for the club, but am worried that people might turn on them both if it didn't go well. Saying that Cleary Snr looked out for family first above club.
No I don't think so. Anything is going to be approved by someone other than him. It's not like we haven't paid decent money to players this year and N Cleary is worth big money.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 7:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Mon 05 Feb, 2018 6:32 pm
TigerTiger wrote:
Mon 05 Feb, 2018 4:50 pm

No I don't think so. Anything is going to be approved by someone other than him. It's not like we haven't paid decent money to players this year and N Cleary is worth big money.
Cartwright to titans because of brennan, boyd to broncos because of bennett. No its the way its fone these daya. Money,premierships and mates/mentors are the options for players these days. Wel have money and a mentor for Nathan. Just not sure about a premiership for a few years.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 8:27 pm

Doesn't Gould still have a lot of influence at the roosters? Pretty sure he and uncle nick are pretty chummy. If so, can't see Ivan jumping at the chance to go there.

Also, of they make the GF the next few years, very likely with their squad, Robinson won't be going anywhere.

Ivan and Pascoe running the show at the Tigers gives him far more job security than anywhere else.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:32 am

It would be funny if Gould gets rid of a few good players to ensure that he has enough cap space to sign NC and he still leaves the Panthers.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:41 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:32 am
It would be funny if Gould gets rid of a few good players to ensure that he has enough cap space to sign NC and he still leaves the Panthers.
Gould might start to look a bit "tired".
Last edited by Tigerdon on Tue 06 Feb, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 8:38 am

This poor kid needs to play a full 12 months of speculation before announcing he is going to the Roosters... Its alot of pressure for a young kid his age, plus the hype that Freddy will pick him for NSW this year.

Tough 12 months coming up for Nathan!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 8:45 am

I'll be honest, if Nathan Cleary goes to the Roosters, then I will lose some faith in his father Ivan Cleary as our coach. That may not make sense, it may not be fair, but that's honestly how I think I would feel*.

*Unless Brooksy really steps up, and I mean REALLY steps up by playing out of his skin all season, putting himself in for a genuine Origin contention, getting us deep into the finals, and winning or almost winning the Dally M.

guyofthetiger

Post by guyofthetiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 2:08 pm

Usually once there's smoke like this the matter is often resolved sooner rather than later. Hope we've got money in the bank.
But even if we do you'd have to think the Roosters would see him replacing Cronk nicely.
They've surely got a few million left in their cap.
Crush, kill and destroy!
Said that golden Android!
Pineapples from the Dawn of Time

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 2:52 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Tue 06 Feb, 2018 8:45 am
I'll be honest, if Nathan Cleary goes to the Roosters, then I will lose some faith in his father Ivan Cleary as our coach. That may not make sense, it may not be fair, but that's honestly how I think I would feel*.

*Unless Brooksy really steps up, and I mean REALLY steps up by playing out of his skin all season, putting himself in for a genuine Origin contention, getting us deep into the finals, and winning or almost winning the Dally M.
Being blunt. I had to work with my dad recently. NEVER AGAIN! I love him, I really do and sure an odd job for one day. NEVER ever a long term project.

Ivan wants to work with Nathan. Nathan may have other ideas. I could see someone just saying "No" to it or "yes" based off the family dynamic. Roosters will probably keep Cronk as a halves mentor and gladly sign N Cleary, Brooks, Marshall-King, Brock Lamb, anyone wanting to be the next NRL halfback (in fact that was why I was hoping we would go for Cronk. But he would change our club totally).