Nathan Cleary

Nelson

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by Nelson » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:10 pm

palms wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 12:37 pm
And yet the Cowboys are reportedly in the market for Munster AND Holmes. Almost over this garbage, the Balmain Tigers used to recruit better!
Well they might be in the market for both but that doesn't mean they could afford both. If they managed to land one they probably couldn't afford the other even though they've got Thurston, Coote, Winterstein and Linnett coming off their books. They have too much tied up in Taumalolo and Morgan to land two more ~$1 million players.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:16 pm

If Nathan signs with Gus and the Panthers after all they put his father through, then my opinion of the kid is so low he may as well be playing for the Roosters.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:21 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:16 pm
If Nathan signs with Gus and the Panthers after all they put his father through, then my opinion of the kid is so low he may as well be playing for the Roosters.
Unless Ivan ends up back at the Panthers..

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:21 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
I dont understand that.
It's clear that the kid respects his dad and might even understand that his dad is his own man. His dad can look after himself.
Mates are another thing. Playing within a team can create some very strong bonds. He and his mates have some unfinished business.
"Quality Stupidity"

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:34 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 12:33 pm
kingbrooks wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 12:23 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 12:18 pm
ok, now that wonder kid is off the market and dad tries to get a release to go back to penrith, and the dogs are barking out penrith way, say it is very close to a done deal with the tigers.
what i want to know, and i really dont care who we get as a coach as long as hes a senior one. WHERES ALL THE MONEY in our cap considering we have released so many players and apart from mybe the rest are ISP type, ok matterson may have cost us 400-500 per season but we still should have plenty to splash about. yet we still shop at lowes.
We have a lot of guys on more money than they should.

Mbye, Lawrence, Nofolomu, Matulino, Packer, Reynolds, Brooks, McQueen, Elijah Taylor, would all be on between $400 to $700k. Maybe a few others too.
Brooks is on a two year deal for around $500k pa. That's not overs.
all the players u have named MYBE and matterson aside, where signed for this year, YET we have release 7-9 players so where the hell is that money, is the club officials using it to go on holidays or what, because we should have plenty. so to clarify every one signed for this year we where still under the cap we release all these players buy mybe on the cheap and the 2 from the roooters, and we have nothing left, dont make sense.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:35 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:21 pm
TigerTiger wrote:
I dont understand that.
It's clear that the kid respects his dad and might even understand that his dad is his own man. His dad can look after himself.
Mates are another thing. Playing within a team can create some very strong bonds. He and his mates have some unfinished business.

plus his dad going back there to coach

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:42 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:34 pm
fibrodreaming wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 12:33 pm
kingbrooks wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 12:23 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 12:18 pm
ok, now that wonder kid is off the market and dad tries to get a release to go back to penrith, and the dogs are barking out penrith way, say it is very close to a done deal with the tigers.
what i want to know, and i really dont care who we get as a coach as long as hes a senior one. WHERES ALL THE MONEY in our cap considering we have released so many players and apart from mybe the rest are ISP type, ok matterson may have cost us 400-500 per season but we still should have plenty to splash about. yet we still shop at lowes.
We have a lot of guys on more money than they should.

Mbye, Lawrence, Nofolomu, Matulino, Packer, Reynolds, Brooks, McQueen, Elijah Taylor, would all be on between $400 to $700k. Maybe a few others too.
Brooks is on a two year deal for around $500k pa. That's not overs.
all the players u have named MYBE and matterson aside, where signed for this year, YET we have release 7-9 players so where the hell is that money, is the club officials using it to go on holidays or what, because we should have plenty. so to clarify every one signed for this year we where still under the cap we release all these players buy mybe on the cheap and the 2 from the roooters, and we have nothing left, dont make sense.
There are free roster spots so of course we have money left, probably a fair bit.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:53 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:
I dont understand that.
Gus publicly came out and basically called Ivan a liar. Ivan (by all appearances) appears to value his integrity very highly, and that attack on his character visibly affected Ivan.

For a son to ignore that, regardless of what's best for their own career, shows the true character of the son. Putting mates above your own father, that's low in my book.

I hear what you're saying about unfinished business, they have a great young side, a great bond, and before all this Gus nonsense I was hoping if WT didn't win that Panthers would take the trophy this year. But that's changed now.

And this is all assuming of course, as some have pointed out, that Gus did lie, that Ivan isn't going to Panthers. If he does, if Ivan goes, after all this, then I'm wrong, I was wrong all along, and every victory we have over Panthers for the rest of my life I will enjoy as sweet revenge.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 2:30 pm

It was always going to happen. Gould will take all the credit for Panthers re-signing NC on a long term deal. NC never wanted to leave them all along, would you if you were him??. Any talk, was just that, and a bid to up his deal and to set the wheels in motion for Ivan's return. After big noting himself and with all his media mates supporting him, Gould will begin to step back from his role at the Panthers and Ivan will move on in. The question is how long will it take - this coming season or the next, but rest assured it is already inevitable.
I hope that Ciraldo goes the full year next season at least and Ivan can focus on continuing our rebuild. Our WT project will need another 2 seasons before we can be a real force in the NRL.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 2:40 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 1:53 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:
I dont understand that.
Gus publicly came out and basically called Ivan a liar. Ivan (by all appearances) appears to value his integrity very highly, and that attack on his character visibly affected Ivan.

For a son to ignore that, regardless of what's best for their own career, shows the true character of the son. Putting mates above your own father, that's low in my book.

I hear what you're saying about unfinished business, they have a great young side, a great bond, and before all this Gus nonsense I was hoping if WT didn't win that Panthers would take the trophy this year. But that's changed now.

And this is all assuming of course, as some have pointed out, that Gus did lie, that Ivan isn't going to Panthers. If he does, if Ivan goes, after all this, then I'm wrong, I was wrong all along, and every victory we have over Panthers for the rest of my life I will enjoy as sweet revenge.
That's a bit harsh on Nathan. It's not like Gus shot him in the leg and Nathan is siding with some gangsta. The kid is making a career decision that will have long term impacts on his life. I'm sure he has spoken to his father about it all but at the end of the day he has to do what is right by him, so what if one of his senior colleagues and his father don't get along.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 2:44 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
NT Tiger wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:
I dont understand that.

I don't see it that way.
I left my last place of employ in some questionable circumstances, and in the end, I was happy to go. However if my son ever sought employment there I wouldn't hold it against him or even advise against it. Just because I believe I was treated badly, doesn't mean I should pass my baggage onto my son.
If Ivan is truly considering going back to the Panthers at some stage in the future, he must still see it as a viable workplace in spite of what may have happened in the past.
"Quality Stupidity"

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 2:45 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
NT Tiger wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:
I dont understand that.

Maybe his father was putting his son first, and recognises that Penrith are in a far better position to take him forward at this point than Wests, despite how he feels about Bee Sting Head he wouldn't want to torpedo his sons career for a petty vendetta if he is indeed a man of integrity.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 2:49 pm

Hopefully this can all be put to bed now, lets get our own house in order with or without the Cleary's.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 2:56 pm

Yeah I don't get it. Ivan came across as very aggrieved by what Gus and co said. I thought the son would be outraged and would stick up for his father, despite his father giving best wishes.

But if Ivan does go back, what, was it all a show? Or just business? Either way, it doesn't sit well.

Anyway, without the Nathan carrot, we should have a heap of cash to buy a top top class player. Fingers crossed we snare someone who makes us never think of Nathan again.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 3:02 pm

All the stories i have read today on Nathan Cleary staying at panthers have seemed to have been pulled. Not one story on any media outlet i read. Seems unusual for such breaking news.

will1999

Post by will1999 » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 3:18 pm

isn't even trending on Twitter

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 3:38 pm

Still on NRL & Fox apps

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 3:38 pm

Wa Mag/Tig wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 3:02 pm
All the stories i have read today on Nathan Cleary staying at panthers have seemed to have been pulled. Not one story on any media outlet i read. Seems unusual for such breaking news.
It's still on nrl.com?

What I personally want to know is exactly how much Penrith are forking out to retain NC. He's a good kid but this could also be an epic mistake, I'm not convinced that he's a career top player.

Not to say he would not have been a good signing for Tigers, but the decision appears to have been taken out of our hands, and I'm ok with that. That $1M could possibly be better spent elsewhere. Look at the Sharks model for example - one attacking half, one organiser and then bury the rest of your money in an arse-kicking forward pack.