Nathan Cleary

stevied

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by stevied » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 8:44 pm

Nathan is saying that he is happy at Penrith and can't see himself leaving. Of course he's going to say that, being the professional he is. Anyway, no overtures can be made until November so why even have this discussion? Pie in the sky at this stage. Yes, we all want him. Who wouldn't? But at this juncture, all we can do is agree that we have a solid chance of gaining his services, especially if we have a season that shows we're going places. Let's leave it alone now.....

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:28 pm

Love to see him in our colours in 2019.

Post by 851 » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:30 pm

Clearyweareone wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:28 pm
Love to see him in our colours in 2019.
I would love to see him do a Cartwright and Moylan and be in our colours round one 2018
Go hard or go home

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:49 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 5:50 pm
Soo if Brooks is going good you still want to get rid of him...
If you sign Cleary yes you let any player go if there is a clear upgrade and spend the money on a good edge backrower to replace Lawrence who may retire at the end of the year.

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:05 pm

TYGA wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:49 pm
Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 5:50 pm
Soo if Brooks is going good you still want to get rid of him...
If you sign Cleary yes you let any player go if there is a clear upgrade and spend the money on a good edge backrower to replace Lawrence who may retire at the end of the year.
Hopefully all 3 things happen. Lawrence is a nice guy but shouldn’t be starting 17.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 1:41 pm

More than a few "ifs" & "maybes" in this statement but as we're speculating this looks like a good halves pairing:

6. Gamble
7. Cleary

Personally I'd like to see Brooks succeed as our long term halfback.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 3:46 pm

Just hang on, tread slowly... Gamble looked good in that one trial.
So did a certain Mr Brooks who set the world on fire in his first NRL game (well he had some lucky ball bounces really and some other good fortune/play) but has not stepped up like we all have hoped he would since.

Gamble could be an awesome player, and I like most if not all of us hope he will be, for us the WT. But slowly does it...

Edit: This comment is not directed at odensraven, he (or she) was treading carefully, just in reading that comment I started to get a bit ahead of myself and my comment is trying to reel me in really.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 8:36 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 3:46 pm
So did a certain Mr Brooks who set the world on fire in his first NRL game (well he had some lucky ball bounces really and some other good fortune/play) but has not stepped up like we all have hoped he would since.

Gamble could be an awesome player, and I like most if not all of us hope he will be, for us the WT. But slowly does it...

Edit: This comment is not directed at odensraven, he (or she) was treading carefully, just in reading that comment I started to get a bit ahead of myself and my comment is trying to reel me in really.
No dramas TT & I agree, steady as she goes. The best outcome for the Tigers would be we see a formidable Brooks/Reynolds partnership with Benji adding spark off the bench. Meanwhile Gamble learns the trade in ISP before taking that utility spot in ‘19 after the king (BM) lifts the trophy for us in October.

15 more sleeps

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:20 pm

Panthers wouldn't block Cleary move

Nathan Cleary's future is the source of continual speculation, but what is not known is the Panthers would never stand in his way of his dream to play under his father, Ivan.
Right now the Panthers don't think he wants to leave. In fact, they are confident he will sign a long-term deal when the time is right. There is a strong view that Nathan wants to stand on his own two feet and make a name for himself away from his father.
There is no clause in Nathan's contract, which expires at the end of next season, that says he can go and play with his dad at any time, but there is an understanding Penrith won't fight to keep father and son apart. But they will compete to keep him away from any other rival bidders.
There is still a strong relationship between the Cleary family and the Panthers, despite Ivan being moved on from his coaching job. Ivan and his wife, Rebecca, are regulars in the directors' box at Penrith when Nathan plays.
Panthers boss Phil Gould and Ivan are not lunch buddies — but they were never that when Ivan was coach at the club. It's a mature approach from all parties.
Nathan was a free agent earning a small salary when Ivan was moved on from Penrith in 2015. Nathan chose to stay with the club on a deal that was huge at the time for such a young player, but now looks like a good deal for the Panthers.
There is also an open-door policy when it comes to Nathan and upgrading his contract. He knows that if he is feeling short-changed the club is willing to talk. "I'm not driven by money," Nathan said.
I spoke to Nathan at length during the week about his future. The bottom line is that he is not thinking about it. There has never been talk of a new deal for Cleary.
"That's a myth," Nathan said. "It's also not an automatic thing that I will play under dad, but we have spoken about it and said we'd like to do it, but it's not automatic. It would have to be the right time and everything would have to fall into place. The good thing about dad is that he'd never push me into something I didn't want to do. It would be nice and something you can't do every day. It's a very unique opportunity." Panthers boss Phil Gould and Ivan are not lunch buddies — but they were never that when Ivan was coach at the club. It's a mature approach from all parties.
Nathan was a free agent earning a small salary when Ivan was moved on from Penrith in 2015. Nathan chose to stay with the club on a deal that was huge at the time for such a young player, but now looks like a good deal for the Panthers.
There is also an open-door policy when it comes to Nathan and upgrading his contract. He knows that if he is feeling short-changed the club is willing to talk. "I'm not driven by money," Nathan said.
I spoke to Nathan at length during the week about his future. The bottom line is that he is not thinking about it. There has never been talk of a new deal for Cleary.
"That's a myth," Nathan said. "It's also not an automatic thing that I will play under dad, but we have spoken about it and said we'd like to do it, but it's not automatic. It would have to be the right time and everything would have to fall into place. The good thing about dad is that he'd never push me into something I didn't want to do. It would be nice and something you can't do every day. It's a very unique opportunity." There has been a meeting between Gould, Ivan Cleary and Daryl Mather, the man who represents Nathan. The Panthers were keen for it to be known that Nathan is a player they can build a team around, and there were a variety of options discussed when it comes to contract length. Those options ranged from two years to 10 years. The length of contract is obviously vital for Penrith as they need to manage their salary cap. And while they have freed up some money with the departures of Bryce Cartwright and Matt Moylan, they have already had to upgrade the contracts of rising stars and re-sign others.

Danny Weidler SMH

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:50 am

If these types of articles and speculation keep coming out about Penrith players they could have a season like we had last year, off the field.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Post by 851 » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:00 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:50 am
If these types of articles and speculation keep coming out about Penrith players they could have a season like we had last year, off the field.
I hope the articles keep coming and Penrith crash and burn this year, will help us no end
Go hard or go home

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:29 am

I rate Nathan Cleary but scoring points once inside the 20 has been a problem for Penrith the last 2 seasons. If that is any indication then we can't expect Nathan Cleary alone to come in and fix that problem in our side.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:15 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:29 am
I rate Nathan Cleary but scoring points once inside the 20 has been a problem for Penrith the last 2 seasons. If that is any indication then we can't expect Nathan Cleary alone to come in and fix that problem in our side.
I agree. Cleary is the most composed half I have EVER seen for someone his age, but I don't see too many flashes of individual brilliance.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

teddy23

Post by teddy23 » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:03 pm

Masterton wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:15 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:29 am
I agree. Cleary is the most composed half I have EVER seen for someone his age, but I don't see too many flashes of individual brilliance.
That’s where RTS comes in, them 2 together would form such a dynamic combination!

The composed half and the flashy fullback.

Bit of a Cronk and slater like combo.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 3:38 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 8:36 pm
TigerTiger wrote:

No dramas TT & I agree, steady as she goes. The best outcome for the Tigers would be we see a formidable Brooks/Reynolds partnership with Benji adding spark off the bench. Meanwhile Gamble learns the trade in ISP before taking that utility spot in ‘19 after the king (BM) lifts the trophy for us in October.

15 more sleeps
i cannot wait for kickoff

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:05 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:

15 more sleeps
Learns the trade and play the utility role in 2019?

You obviously have no idea how good Gamble is. Just crazy to suggest he will have to wait a season just to play a bench role.

I saw him live at the last trial, he wants this so bad. His talents and mental drive are things this club has been missing. He will force the coaches hand soon enough
Its an opinion!

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 7:31 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:05 pm
greatodensraven wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:

15 more sleeps

You obviously have no idea how good Gamble is. Just crazy to suggest he will have to wait a season just to play a bench role.

I saw him live at the last trial, he wants this so bad. His talents and mental drive are things this club has been missing. He will force the coaches hand soon enough
Did I run over your dog or something? If Gamble forces his way into the team, good on him.

...the season can’t come quick enough

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:25 am

greatodensraven wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 7:31 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:05 pm
greatodensraven wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:

15 more sleeps

Did I run over your dog or something? If Gamble forces his way into the team, good on him.

...the season can’t come quick enough
I think this is Stryker with a new name!!!!!