Nathan Cleary

teddy23

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by teddy23 » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm gonna leave this here, I just found this article... interesting....

So the question on everyone's lips since Ivan signed with the Tigers has been whether father and son will reunite?

"It couldn't work if he's not established," Ivan believes. "If he's established then that's different."

So in other words, get the cheque book ready Gus, because the man you sacked is coming for the man you need most.

"I like him as a player," Ivan jokes. "And obviously I like him as a person ... sometimes.

"But at the end of the day, it'll be his decision. I have discussed it with him and with them [Panthers], too. But I'm not his manager. I'm involved so I'll listen to what they propose.

"But really he's 19, just started playing first grade and has two years to go on his contract. I don't think he should be in a hurry. He knows that. I think the Panthers should just enjoy what he's doing for them at the moment. If he wants to stay, he can stay."

As for Nathan, he couldn't be happier with his surroundings at the Panthers. So much so he removed a clause allowing him to leave the club if his father left. But even he can't hide the appeal of playing under his father in the future.

"I definitely think down the track I'd be keen to do it," Nathan says. "I can't lock anything in. But you don't know what can happen in two years. I'm happy at the Panthers and when the time comes we can talk about what's next. I just have to get out there, be consistent and stay in first grade."

Yes two years is a long time in rugby league. In fact, two years ago Ivan was at the helm of the Panthers and despite a horror season plagued by injury, looked as though he was on the verge of something special at the foot of the mountains.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:23 pm

Interesting article, do you have a source for it? I'd be interested to know who wrote it.

TSupps05

Post by TSupps05 » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:30 pm

Surely this is a gee up. But if not i think playing under his father would be a promising chance to take as it will make things much easier around the house.
All aboard the Wayne Train :righton: :sign:

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:33 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:23 pm
Interesting article, do you have a source for it? I'd be interested to know who wrote it.
Michael Chammas
Published: August 5 2017 - 10:33PM

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... eType=text
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 11:18 pm

I love it! Nathan has got it over Gus.

It sends a very clear message to Gus - put your hand deeper in your pocket or I leave. Common Gus you can do better, make Nathan an offer he can't refuse - Guess: it must have at least 6 zeros per year. Gus hates those million dollar plus contracts

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:01 am

The way our club burns coaches who's to say Ivan will be here in 2 years.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:33 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 8:50 pm
Cronulla won a comp with Chad Townsend in the 7...
Not that simple
The Broncos won a comp with Shane Perry at halfback.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:41 am

Not sure what Ivans relationship with Gould is really like. After the way Gould made his sacking a public affair, not sure he would be so supportive of Goud trying to tie up the services of his son long-term.
Nathan appears to have a great relationship with his father, and the actions of the great Gus may come back to bite him on the butt with this one.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:55 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:01 am
The way our club burns coaches who's to say Ivan will be here in 2 years.
i expect Ivan to be here until at least the end of 2022.The only danger to that will be another club stealing him i expect more stability with him at the helm

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:09 am

Telltails wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:41 am
Not sure what Ivans relationship with Gould is really like. After the way Gould made his sacking a public affair, not sure he would be so supportive of Goud trying to tie up the services of his son long-term.
Nathan appears to have a great relationship with his father, and the actions of the great Gus may come back to bite him on the butt with this one.
Ivan said when we played the panthers that Gould reason for sacking him were patronising or condescending were the exact word used. So not good.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:29 am

Gould patronizing and condescending? ........ nah....would never have thought! ;)

Nathan will make us a force. Our major deficiency at the moment is our last tackle options close to the line. Maybe brooks will get there, but if he doesn't, it's great to know that Nathan's contract is lined up against his.

I wonder what the Panthers threw at Nathan to remove the Cleary coaching clause from his contract?

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:42 am

Gould would be squirming whenever he thinks about what he did to Ivan. With Ivan's son now being the Panthers best player, the Clearys will make life very uncomfortable for Gould.
This is very GOT.
When the Lanisters behead the father and made the daughter marry into their family. It didn't work out long term.
in Ivan we distrust

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:46 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 8:50 pm
Cronulla won a comp with Chad Townsend in the 7...
Not that simple
Ditto Brissy 2006 with Shane Perry.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

vlad

Post by vlad » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:57 am

assuming the bus is on the right track in the next year it would be a good idea to extend Ivan's contract before the "official" negotiations with Nathan are allowed .

I imagine the Cleary's will be a popular signing for a lot of clubs .

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:01 am

I am certain Ivan would be advising Nathan NOT to sign with Penrith beyond his current contract 2019.

I am also certain in the back of Ivan's mind he would be angling to have Nathan in Tigers colours....why wouldn't he as Nathan is proving to be one of the best game managers we have seen behind Cronk and Thurston.

IMO brooks has till next year to prove his worth as a half back....if he doesn't come on in leaps and bounds, especially in his game management, he will not be offered a contract beyond 2019

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:03 am

vlad wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:57 am
assuming the bus is on the right track in the next year it would be a good idea to extend Ivan's contract before the "official" negotiations with Nathan are allowed .

I imagine the Cleary's will be a popular signing for a lot of clubs .
yep good point....assuming the bus doesn't suffer a flat tyre, around mid season I would be extending Ivan's contract by another 2 years...that should only help get Nathan across too...the club has to play this smart and not do another "big 4 bungle"

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:11 am

Don't get your hopes up guys.

I'll believe Nathan signing with the Tigers, when it happens.

Until then Go Luke!!!!

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:47 am

I'd love to have Nathan at the club, but Coaching your own Son can be a minefield. Even ( or especially ) in First grade.
When he's playing well it would be fine. But when he has the inevitable form drops, that's when the pressure rises.
They have a great relationship, and maybe could make it worth it. But a lot would rather not put that relationship under strain. It may not be worth the risk.