Nathan Cleary

Nucky Thompson

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:34 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:50 pm
I don't know. As much as I'd love to have Nathan on board, I more want our coach to stick around. I'm not at all convinced that Nathan and Luke would work well together. Sometimes it doesn't gel. But, I guess you just have to put faith in the coach.
The conflict of interest which would come with having your son as your main play maker and highest payed team member is also fraught with potential instability. Let's not be blinkered on this. If it worked though......booyaaaahhhh!!
Perhaps he would not re-sign brooks and just get nathan.

Brooks off contract same time.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:36 pm

hammertime wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:39 pm
Benji will retire this year or next, lolohea will be off contract and Reynolds is too injury prone to be our only decent option at 6. I really hope that Ivan can fit in all three.

1. Mbye
6. Brooks
7. Cleary
9. Liddle
14. jrey

I think having Cleary there will only improve brooks game. He's not a big talker and would go well at 5/8 or have him and Cleary play different sides of the field.
Tui signed for 2019 i believe with us

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:21 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:36 pm
hammertime wrote:
Benji will retire this year or next, lolohea will be off contract and Reynolds is too injury prone to be our only decent option at 6. I really hope that Ivan can fit in all three.

1. Mbye
6. Brooks
7. Cleary
9. Liddle
14. jrey

I think having Cleary there will only improve brooks game. He's not a big talker and would go well at 5/8 or have him and Cleary play different sides of the field.
Tui signed for 2019 i believe with us
Exactly. Cleary wouldnt be here till 2020, when tui and benji roll off (assuming he plays on)

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:52 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:37 am
supercoach wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:18 am
NC is a quality player, but if he was to come to us we would have to find some quality players to build around him, other wise he will be in the same boat as Brooks is in now. In fact I would say Brooks offers more in a battling team as he has the speed factor, but in a good team NC probably is a far better game manager.

Anyway basically unless we can get some real speed and power across a few positions young NC will struggle if he came to the WT's
I was actually thinking during the game last night how good it would be to see Brooks play in a team filled with a heap of talent and speed like the NSW team.
Brooks' improvement is down to the coach, the stronger pack and a good does of self belief especially since Moses left Concord. Remember that Thurston and Cronk started to hit form about this age. NC obviously is a special player in a very good team. I am keenly anticipating the arrival of Mbye and one or two other speedy backs. I also do enjoy the emphasis Cleary places on Mybe's personality.

Post by 851 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:09 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:52 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:37 am
supercoach wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:18 am
NC is a quality player, but if he was to come to us we would have to find some quality players to build around him, other wise he will be in the same boat as Brooks is in now. In fact I would say Brooks offers more in a battling team as he has the speed factor, but in a good team NC probably is a far better game manager.

Anyway basically unless we can get some real speed and power across a few positions young NC will struggle if he came to the WT's
I was actually thinking during the game last night how good it would be to see Brooks play in a team filled with a heap of talent and speed like the NSW team.
Brooks' improvement is down to the coach, the stronger pack and a good does of self belief especially since Moses left Concord. Remember that Thurston and Cronk started to hit form about this age. NC obviously is a special player in a very good team. I am keenly anticipating the arrival of Mbye and one or two other speedy backs. I also do enjoy the emphasis Cleary places on Mybe's personality.
Thurston wasn't starting to hit form at Brooks age, by 22 he had won a premiership and won the dally M player of the year, Brooks is 23
Go hard or go home

Post by 851 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:13 pm

supercoach wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:19 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:05 pm
851 wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:23 am
bigsiro wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:38 am
Put Brooks in the best team and he might be a world beater?
OMG
It's like saying put Mick Gillett in the Invincibles and he might be a world beater?
Or put Christian Laettner in the Dream Team and he might be a world beater (oh...right...)

Give me a break with the Brooks gushing already. It's OTT. Cleary is soooo much better than him it's not funny. And he has played less than half the time!
Careful champ, the guns will be out you can't bag Brooks, but you are right, Cleary is 20, he is so far more advanced than Brooks who is 23 and been playing NRL since last round 2013.
Brooks is coming on this year, but Cleary never took 4 years to come on, he was on from the get go, a Brooks 6 Cleary 7 combo could be one to take us to the top though.
That's true, but in fairness to Brooks he didn't step into a Top 4 side like NC has. Not taking anything away from Cleary, he's awesome, but Brooks has been playing behind an average forward pack for years (the backline hasn't been too flash either).
Thats my point...Of course there are exception, but history will tell you most very good players come from strong clubs.
Kayln Ponga, Ash Taylor are very good from pretty weak clubs
Go hard or go home

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:44 pm

851 wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:13 pm
supercoach wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
851 wrote:

Careful champ, the guns will be out you can't bag Brooks, but you are right, Cleary is 20, he is so far more advanced than Brooks who is 23 and been playing NRL since last round 2013.
Brooks is coming on this year, but Cleary never took 4 years to come on, he was on from the get go, a Brooks 6 Cleary 7 combo could be one to take us to the top though.
That's true, but in fairness to Brooks he didn't step into a Top 4 side like NC has. Not taking anything away from Cleary, he's awesome, but Brooks has been playing behind an average forward pack for years (the backline hasn't been too flash either).
Thats my point...Of course there are exception, but history will tell you most very good players come from strong clubs.
Ponga came from the Cowboys system, and Taylor came from the Broncos system (he only signed for the Titans in 2016). Hard to say those two clubs are pretty weak

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Are we there yet ??

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 1:07 am

851 wrote:
supercoach wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
851 wrote:

I think Taylor is more over hyped than Brooks has been in the past.

schnobob

Post by schnobob » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 6:58 am

:D
Last edited by schnobob on Mon 11 Jun, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 6:58 am

TCL wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
I see Brooks having a similar style to Maloney just Brooks is younger, faster and this year a better defender.

I think they would work well together however, even if they didn't i would rather be in the position of having to let one go rather than never knowing if they would work together.
This is a serious consideration, I have been very impressed with Brooks progression this season .This could be a master stroke his defence has improved,his kicking game has been better plus has a good passing game .if the NC vibe has any merit this surely would be looked at by the club .

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 8:04 am

gallagher wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 1:07 am
851 wrote:
supercoach wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

I think Taylor is more over hyped than Brooks has been in the past.
Agree Gal.

Post by 851 » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 10:59 am

TigersBusDriver wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:44 pm
851 wrote:
supercoach wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

Ponga came from the Cowboys system, and Taylor came from the Broncos system (he only signed for the Titans in 2016). Hard to say those two clubs are pretty weak
They might have come from good clubs, but they played hardly any NRL with those clubs, they were straight into NRL with weak clubs
Go hard or go home

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:10 am

TCL wrote:
I see Brooks having a similar style to Maloney just Brooks is younger, faster and this year a better defender.
Talk about taking the piss.

There was another poster who said they'd rather have Brooks than Cleary.
Honestly, anyone who prefers Brooks to Cleary is either completely insane or out to sabotage the Tigers. Either way, it is an invalid opinion and I feel silly even giving it more airtime. It has got to stop.
Might as well say Tui is better than Tedesco.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:30 am

hammertime wrote:

1. Mbye
6. Brooks
7. Cleary
9. Liddle
14. jrey

People go on that we cant afford a spine like that. why not? Storm had the big 3 on a million each. Roosters and broncos similar.

Mybe 650k
brooks 600k
Cleary 1 mill
liddle 400k
j rey 750k

3.4 mill for this spine aint bad at all.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:58 am

bigsiro wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:10 am
TCL wrote:

Honestly, anyone who prefers Brooks to Cleary is either completely insane or out to sabotage the Tigers. Either way, it is an invalid opinion and I feel silly even giving it more airtime. It has got to stop.
Understand you don't rate Brooks at all ..care to comment on his form this year which includes leading the NRL in forced drop outs 4th in line engagements.....most running metres for a half...3rd in try assists and 3rd in line break assists for halves
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 12:00 pm

Brooks is having his best season yet and this is with a new team that in all honesty is lacking in a few areas.

I am happy with his performance this year, he is showing great potential.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 12:45 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:10 am
TCL wrote:

Comon Bigsiro. Im not saying i would prefer brooks to cleary.

Im saying that Maloney has been great with cleary and brooks has a similar game. Both brooks and maloney are good runners of the ball, but brooks is faster. Brooks is definitely younger and this year has a better defence. Maloney has experience and has proven himself over the years. But in my opinion brooks and Maloney have a similar game.

Also i am saying that i would rather sign cleary and have brooks as well and be in a position to drop one if it isnt working than to have never had them play together.