Nathan Cleary

Lukic

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by Lukic » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 12:47 pm

Cleary and Brooks would work perfectly fine together as left half and right half.

Cleary would organise a bit more and provide a great kicking option on the right while Brooks can continue to focus on his running game and be the kicker on the left.

The issue is what to do with Reynolds' money. I have a suspicion his contract is heavily front ended so we may not be on the hook for too much come 2020 so he could be moved or even kept in thr 14 providing great depth and also spark as a potential sub.

McQueen's contract is prob the one we want to really get rid of if he's just gonna be in reserves. I think he might "medically retire" at the end of next year and be kept on in a staff role.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 12:49 pm

Seantice wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:30 am
hammertime wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:39 pm
Benji will retire this year or next, lolohea will be off contract and Reynolds is too injury prone to be our only decent option at 6. I really hope that Ivan can fit in all three.

1. Mbye
6. Brooks
7. Cleary
9. Liddle
14. jrey

I think having Cleary there will only improve brooks game. He's not a big talker and would go well at 5/8 or have him and Cleary play different sides of the field.
People go on that we cant afford a spine like that. why not? Storm had the big 3 on a million each. Roosters and broncos similar.

Mybe 650k
brooks 600k
Cleary 1 mill
liddle 400k
j rey 750k

3.4 mill for this spine aint bad at all.
Brooks is going to get better offers than that. Tons of clubs are looking for a good halfback. 750-800k at least.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 1:06 pm

Telltails wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:13 am
Goddam its hard not to like everything about the Cleary's.
Gus will move mountains to keep Nathan -kept referring to how good Maloney and he play together and the positive infuence he has on his game.
They are going to have at least three clubs doing their best to lure them.
You can tell there's a deep bond , obviously raised by brilliant Parents .
The way Ivan speaks and conducts himself you can see why Nathan is such a great kid.

I don't think Nathan will be coming to us either.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 2:38 pm

HIs form is better than other years.
His running game has improved out of sight.
Yes, Ivan may be able to mould him into a better halfback. But right now he isn’t there yet. We have waited five years and I reckon that’s plenty to call a spade a spade.
Comparisons to JT or NC are not just unfair, they are borderline mockery.
Call me old fashioned but I think a halfback needs to be a general.
A 5/8 can be more of a runner or fancy
playmaker but the halfback is your go-to-guy for when the crucial play is needed.
Brooks for mine doesn’t take these opportunities well. He doesn’t take control. His kicking game is poor and game management isn’t good enough. These are specific areas where Cleary trumps him.
Brooks might be an excellent hooker or back-up half, but as a primary first option and playmaker, or as a general who will make the crucial play at the right moment; he just isn’t there yet.

Do I think he could be better than NC? Nup. But would loved to be proved wrong and I’ll gladly eat humble pie should it happen.

I’m not out to get the guy. I just know NC is far better right now. Stats are stats and they show an improvement. May it continue.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

marzie

Post by marzie » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 3:20 pm

Brooks is running 2nd in the Dally M i believe behind James Maloney

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 3:48 pm

Should we be looking a spending BIG $$$$ on one player or should we be looking at sharing the love elsewhere we have a good half at the moment who seems to be improving each week and is well placed in the Dally Ms if he keeps scoring well who is to say he wouldn't be Dally M player of the year It would be interesting to know what $$$$ value Ivan would place on a quality half should make signing discussions very interesting Cmon Harry we need a decent TPA to blow the Greek away.

tonza

Post by tonza » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 4:21 pm

Elderslie Tiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 3:48 pm
Should we be looking a spending BIG $$$$ on one player or should we be looking at sharing the love elsewhere we have a good half at the moment who seems to be improving each week and is well placed in the Dally Ms if he keeps scoring well who is to say he wouldn't be Dally M player of the year It would be interesting to know what $$$$ value Ivan would place on a quality half should make signing discussions very interesting Cmon Harry we need a decent TPA to blow the Greek away.
Have not thought of him as Dally M player of the year, but your right, if his good form continues, he could very well win it.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 8:57 pm

Elderslie Tiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 3:48 pm
I read somewhere that the NRL won’t accept any TPA’s from Harry because he was too close to the WT.
That would not stop him from contributing to the Wests Tigers foundation, as it is a charitable organisation.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:02 pm

I still think we'll get Cleary Junior, but if we can't how about we look at Maloney? He is a class above most others, has won premierships with several different clubs, excelled at Origin... he wouldn't be cheap but would be slightly cheaper than what we'd pay for Cleary.

And Gus would probably let us have him if it meant he retained Cleary Junior.

Maloney and Brooks, a premiership combo in the halves right there.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:02 pm
I still think we'll get Cleary Junior, but if we can't how about we look at Maloney? He is a class above most others, has won premierships with several different clubs, excelled at Origin... he wouldn't be cheap but would be slightly cheaper than what we'd pay for Cleary.

He's 32 next week and is contracted for the next 2 years. I don't think he's an option.

Milky

Post by Milky » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:10 pm

TigerTiger wrote:

Maloney will hang up the boots after his current contract i think

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm

Nelson wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm
TigerTiger wrote:

He's 32 next week and is contracted for the next 2 years. I don't think he's an option.

He also said a few times he would never play for the Tiger's he does not like the Tiger's as a club

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:07 pm

The Queen wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm
Nelson wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm
TigerTiger wrote:

He also said a few times he would never play for the Tiger's he does not like the Tiger's as a club
What about the Wests Tigers? 8-)

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:22 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 2:38 pm
HIs form is better than other years.
His running game has improved out of sight.
Yes, Ivan may be able to mould him into a better halfback. But right now he isn’t there yet. We have waited five years and I reckon that’s plenty to call a spade a spade.
Comparisons to JT or NC are not just unfair, they are borderline mockery.
Call me old fashioned but I think a halfback needs to be a general.
A 5/8 can be more of a runner or fancy
playmaker but the halfback is your go-to-guy for when the crucial play is needed.
Brooks for mine doesn’t take these opportunities well. He doesn’t take control. His kicking game is poor and game management isn’t good enough. These are specific areas where Cleary trumps him.
Brooks might be an excellent hooker or back-up half, but as a primary first option and playmaker, or as a general who will make the crucial play at the right moment; he just isn’t there yet.

Do I think he could be better than NC? Nup. But would loved to be proved wrong and I’ll gladly eat humble pie should it happen.

I’m not out to get the guy. I just know NC is far better right now. Stats are stats and they show an improvement. May it continue.
I think your being harsh on this years form. Our pack has rarely dominated and he is still killing it.
Finally with a smart coach he is starting to realise his potential, his repeat sets are leading the comp which was one of my annoyances from him.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:58 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:58 am
bigsiro wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:10 am
TCL wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
I see Brooks having a similar style to Maloney just Brooks is younger, faster and this year a better defender.
Talk about taking the piss.

There was another poster who said they'd rather have Brooks than Cleary.
Honestly, anyone who prefers Brooks to Cleary is either completely insane or out to sabotage the Tigers. Either way, it is an invalid opinion and I feel silly even giving it more airtime. It has got to stop.
Might as well say Tui is better than Tedesco.
Understand you don't rate Brooks at all ..care to comment on his form this year which includes leading the NRL in forced drop outs 4th in line engagements.....most running metres for a half...3rd in try assists and 3rd in line break assists for halves
Would you be happy to see Brooks at 6 and Cleary at 7 ??

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 12:02 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 1:06 pm
Telltails wrote:
Gus will move mountains to keep Nathan -kept referring to how good Maloney and he play together and the positive infuence he has on his game.
The way Ivan speaks and conducts himself you can see why Nathan is such a great kid.

I know this will sound crazy , but if Penrith win the premiership I think Cleary is more likely to leave .......

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 10:16 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 12:02 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 1:06 pm
Telltails wrote:

I know this will sound crazy , but if Penrith win the premiership I think Cleary is more likely to leave .......
I have been thinking the same, and if we cant get up there this year am hoping the Panthers do for that very reason. I am concerned that if Panthers get close (GF losers or prelim losers) then he will be more likely to stay with them.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 1:13 pm

Cleary & Brooks could be something really special if it ever happens!
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.