Tigers interested in RTS

TigerSkins

Re: Tigers interested in RTS

Post by TigerSkins » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 11:42 am

diedpretty wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 9:04 am
The rorters aren't going to waste money on RTS when they have wonderboy at fullback already. They will be saving their money to make a big play for Cleary or Morgan.
The Chooks are also making a play for Josh Mansour (Penrith) to add to Angus Creighton (Souths) coming in 2019.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 2:02 pm

TYGA wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 6:57 pm
Some have short memories RTS had over 12000 running metres between 2012-2015 with the Roosters and was the best fullback in the game in 2015. Warriors have cruelled him as well as serious injury. Forumers need to stop over rating our players Tui simply has not got the genetic talent of RTS. I like Tui but geez it’s a pretty poor comparison.
What's obvious in these forum discussions is that posters often have love affairs with particular players. There is no doubting RTS's talent and, yes, he displayed a magic step and explosive pace in 2015.....However, in these chats, we should look at all the available information before making sweeping statements. RTS played with a star laden roster in 2015 with play makers to provide opportunities for him. It wasn't just his broken field running. Lolohea played in some fairly average Warrior teams when he broke into first grade and his progress since his debut season has been chequered due to a variety of reasons, none of which us fans can be exactly sure of. What made me respond to your comment, TYGA, are the words 'genetic talent'. what do you mean exactly, that his parents somehow infused more natural skill? The single word 'talent' would have sufficed and, anyway, I can't agree. Has anyone seen the highlight reel of Lolohea's debut season? To be honest, I have never seen such a lightning step, combined with speed and raw power coming from the back. But it was only a small sample and it was only the Warriors, meaning not many people watched his games. I would be careful when judging talent. I think Lolohea possesses just as much talent, he just needs to be guided and encouraged.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 3:44 pm

stevied wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 2:02 pm
TYGA wrote:
Some have short memories RTS had over 12000 running metres between 2012-2015 with the Roosters and was the best fullback in the game in 2015. Warriors have cruelled him as well as serious injury. Forumers need to stop over rating our players Tui simply has not got the genetic talent of RTS. I like Tui but geez it’s a pretty poor comparison.
What's obvious in these forum discussions is that posters often have love affairs with particular players. There is no doubting RTS's talent and, yes, he displayed a magic step and explosive pace in 2015.....However, in these chats, we should look at all the available information before making sweeping statements. RTS played with a star laden roster in 2015 with play makers to provide opportunities for him. It wasn't just his broken field running. Lolohea played in some fairly average Warrior teams when he broke into first grade and his progress since his debut season has been chequered due to a variety of reasons, none of which us fans can be exactly sure of. What made me respond to your comment, TYGA, are the words 'genetic talent'. what do you mean exactly, that his parents somehow infused more natural skill? The single word 'talent' would have sufficed and, anyway, I can't agree. Has anyone seen the highlight reel of Lolohea's debut season? To be honest, I have never seen such a lightning step, combined with speed and raw power coming from the back. But it was only a small sample and it was only the Warriors, meaning not many people watched his games. I would be careful when judging talent. I think Lolohea possesses just as much talent, he just needs to be guided and encouraged.
Have never watched the highlights, but in the games that I saw him play back then, he left an indelible impression of his talents and I expect to see similar this coming season. As such, I was one of the early ones on here wanting him on the bus asap and very happy that he chose to come to WT.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 28 Jan, 2018 2:15 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 3:44 pm
stevied wrote:
TYGA wrote:
Have never watched the highlights, but in the games that I saw him play back then, he left an indelible impression of his talents and I expect to see similar this coming season. As such, I was one of the early ones on here wanting him on the bus asap and very happy that he chose to come to WT.
:master:

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sun 28 Jan, 2018 3:54 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 3:44 pm
stevied wrote:
TYGA wrote:
I watched a few warriors games in Tui's debut year.
He was the difference on a few occasions and more then held his own at at the back.

It would be foolish to predict he will have a wowser of season....Also just as foolish to say he will have dud year.
Hopefully Tui rips it up this year and we dont have to worry about signing any one at fullback for a few more years to come.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 12:54 am

stevied wrote:
TYGA wrote:
RTS is a better athlete hands down and has runs on the board.
RTS off memory was the Dally M winger of the year in 2013 and Fullback of the year in 2015. When fit and playing in a well coached team he is not only a freak of an athlete but was consistently great. Tui is a project player has never hit those heights but it is also true both of them have been negatively impacted playing for the Warriors. I hope Tui does well because he’s with us and I can’t see RTS signing with the Tigers we rarely sign sought after players in demand. We either uncover hidden gems, players cast off or with injury issues.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:51 am

Let me put this out:

Why not have Both? Ok that sounds far out but...
Roosters went for Cronk with Pearce on the roster.
Penrith have Wallace with Cleary.

Tui I think is a talent and I want to keep him. He has that potential to be a great ball assist fullback. He can play FB and Five Eight.
RTS is a natural athlete and a great player. He has played Wing and Fullback.

Superstars are great. RTS is a superstar, but he went to the Warriors on a $1Mil paycheck. Tui is on a 300K? contract (ok we really have no idea.). I am seeing RTS providing close to 900K value and Tui definitely performing above his paygrade at 500-600k.

Now do we say no to superstars? Ofcourse we say yes. But I would be punting all but 1 of Thompson, Kevie, MWZ, Founa (depending on performance) and telling RTS that his best position is on the wing and we will give 900K. We say yes to superstars, we say OH YES to superstars (like Marshall) who will play below their paygrade. But when someone becomes available we don't rush to pay them over their paygrade. Particularly when we have a fullback who can perform way above his own paygrade.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 1:24 pm

colmcd wrote:
Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:51 am
Let me put this out:

Tui I think is a talent and I want to keep him. He has that potential to be a great ball assist fullback. He can play FB and Five Eight.

Superstars are great. RTS is a superstar, but he went to the Warriors on a $1Mil paycheck. Tui is on a 300K? contract (ok we really have no idea.). I am seeing RTS providing close to 900K value and Tui definitely performing above his paygrade at 500-600k.

Now do we say no to superstars? Ofcourse we say yes. But I would be punting all but 1 of Thompson, Kevie, MWZ, Founa (depending on performance) and telling RTS that his best position is on the wing and we will give 900K. We say yes to superstars, we say OH YES to superstars (like Marshall) who will play below their paygrade. But when someone becomes available we don't rush to pay them over their paygrade. Particularly when we have a fullback who can perform way above his own paygrade.
You don't pay 900k for ANY winger(that is ANY).

RTS if he is interested in leaving the Warriors won't be signing to be a winger with any other club I wouldn't think.

underdog

Post by underdog » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 3:09 pm

colmcd wrote:
Let me put this out:

900k for strictly a winger is far too much however If some sort of hybrid backline role could happen, RTS could potentially work.

Unfortunately it would be Tui that would suffer, as we have brought in Josh Reynolds for the 6, Brooks currently has a mortgage on the 7, and positions 2-5 would be paying mega overs, even by Tigers standards.

My guess would be that he'd be taking quite a paycut to leave the Warriors and he'd be in the vicinity of 600k or so.

Gee whiz, goes to show, just when we think we are a basket case, the WARRIORS far and away outstrip us on this kind of thing - Tomkins, Foran, RTS, all on eye watering contracts money wise, and all been complete fizzlers. Then you have the perennial underachiever Shawn Johnson who is also on stupid stupid money - now theyve brought Adam Blair across.... rofl - without the Bennett Factor motivating him, that will be interesting.

As you stated, some of our depth would have to go to make it happen.

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 3:33 pm

We have come a long way since Cleary chimed in, I reckon Tui will be a gun at fullback. If Jason Taylor was still coach we would be looking at Kyle Lovett in the fullback position! Nice to have a coach that has realistic options and can possibly attract the right talent if need be.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 4:55 pm

For the record,Jason Taylor inherited a pig of a roster,a control freak as captain,and a totally dysfunctional board....and still got us into 9th place in 2016.
I'm not here to defend him by any means,but we need some perspective

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 5:15 pm

underdog wrote:
Mon 29 Jan, 2018 3:09 pm
colmcd wrote:
Let me put this out:

900k for strictly a winger is far too much however If some sort of hybrid backline role could happen, RTS could potentially work.

Unfortunately it would be Tui that would suffer, as we have brought in Josh Reynolds for the 6, Brooks currently has a mortgage on the 7, and positions 2-5 would be paying mega overs, even by Tigers standards.

My guess would be that he'd be taking quite a paycut to leave the Warriors and he'd be in the vicinity of 600k or so.

Gee whiz, goes to show, just when we think we are a basket case, the WARRIORS far and away outstrip us on this kind of thing - Tomkins, Foran, RTS, all on eye watering contracts money wise, and all been complete fizzlers. Then you have the perennial underachiever Shawn Johnson who is also on stupid stupid money - now theyve brought Adam Blair across.... rofl - without the Bennett Factor motivating him, that will be interesting.

As you stated, some of our depth would have to go to make it happen.
Yea totally agreed. The Warriors are a basket case. Stephen Kearney actually had the "gun" team and it completely misfired, he made even Jason look good.

Anyone else realising that if RTS wants to walk, either NZ has a tough coach and he doesn't like having to work (which he did at the Roosters) OR NZ has another bad coach follow Kearney's footsteps. Probably means they are going to Shed more players soon.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 7:19 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Mon 29 Jan, 2018 4:55 pm
For the record,Jason Taylor inherited a pig of a roster,a control freak as captain,and a totally dysfunctional board....and still got us into 9th place in 2016.
I'm not here to defend him by any means,but we need some perspective
Best Jason Taylor post I’ve read. I’m not a defender either but jeez he had some rubbish to deal with.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 7:19 pm

I really think Cleary has brought in the support network to ensure Tui’s transition to fullback will be a real success. Tui lacks confidence!, he’s just moved to another country, transitioned into a team that Moses was controlling right up until his arrival. Last season Tui hung his head, held back during try celebrations and looked hesitant in attack on occasions. Clearing has brought in Brett Hodgson to help Tui with the transition to fullback and improve his goal kicking. Josh Reynolds’ persona will also bring Tui along and make him feel part of the team.
Tui is an explosive runner and ball handler, I think we are selling him short with all this speculation. I believe if he can feel part of the team we will see him flourish - he’s been a shag on a rock at the Warriors so let’s show him we believe in him. RTS was a promising talent in a star-studded Roostrrs team but looked to be running on one leg at the Warriors.

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 7:23 pm

In regards to Jason Taylor, he still persisted with moving Kyle Lovett into the centres even though he was a slug and a human turnstile, for that I don’t forgive, pig or no pig!

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:01 pm

RTS left a strong club, went to the Warriors and his form nose dived, now he wants out, so do you really think he will come to us?.. He will get offers from plenty of clubs, and if he decides to stay in the NRL he will head back to a strong club. We might be on the way up, but I seriously doubt we would be in the hunt

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 8:34 am

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 11:42 am

Needaname wrote:
Wed 24 Jan, 2018 5:27 pm
Why can’t we sign RTS and stick him at left wing or in centre.
His pretty rubbish at fullback.
Personally I think Tui has a higher ceiling in that position.
[/
Tui could become a very good player in time.

RTS is already extremely good (I agree hes been below his standards in his time at the Warriors, but thats a common problem with players who go there)
Tui was the same , apart from one or two games
If Tui gets anywhere near RTS's top form, I'll be pleasantly surprised., but id rather have RTS any day