What is Brooks best position

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4134
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: What is Brooks best position

Post by formerguest » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:49 pm

Not going to bother reading what others may or not think, because it is probably just a little short of vitriol from some. The guy is a halfback, no need for conjecture.


goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6427
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:57 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 3:37 pm
In my opinion it's too late to try something else for him, At least at WT. He has to sink or swim as a halfback for us. If he cant do it within the early few rounds he's out. I'd put Marshall in and promote Gamble to the interchange as a signal to G that next season it's his.

WT have endured too long this halfback with promise. Always next year, with more experience or being overshadowed by others. No hiding him elsewhere in the team.
A lot of his problems have come from the club and the AmtiCoach throwing him , (and others, )into first grade, long before they were ready for it, and then leaving them there when it was obvious to all that they needed to go back to reserves and learnthe game.
However he must be on his last chances unless he has a good season.
I hope he can do it,

It’s ironic that Gamble is getting the same sort of hype that Luke and Moses got in their first year of first grade., I think I’ll hang off from joining the fan club until he can put half a dozen First Grade performances together though.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5233
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:58 pm

Needaname wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:13 pm
Rarely criticised?
Small fortune?
Everyone is saying it’s sink or swim for Brooks this year, not just us tigers fans, the media and experts.
Outside of Brodie Croft, Brooks would be the lowest paid halfback in the comp.
If his rated at the lower end of the tier well we’ve still got what we paid for. I thought he looked more active in last weeks trial and really got everyone going up the field all night.
Lawrence was making 20 meters a run on the back of Brooks delivery, when was the last time you saw that?
I get it people want a premier half to lead this team around. My thoughts are Brooks have never been coached properly and from what we can see in the preseason Ivan has him engaged and willing to learn all the skills required to be an organising half not just the pretty ones.
It sucks that his still learning his trade, but he is only 23 and at least this year the job his to prove to everyone he has what it takes.
The position he is in right now is perfect for us as a team, he can only go up.
Well said, agree with your summary.

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am

Post by old man tiger » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:28 pm

In the recent trial I criticised him because I didn't think he had great impact, but I complemented his effort, which stood out. We will need more than effort from round 1 but this is a massive year for the club and not just Luke,

His position is 7. No one else is close.
Reynolds is a 6, or 9 at a pinch. Gamble is a 6 or 1 at a pinch. Benji is a 6 or a utility (including being our second choice 7). 3rd is godinet, who suddenly became a forum favourite after a reserve grade quality trial at hooker.

If people want quadja back, good on them, but Brooks is now being given a chance to prove he learnt something over the last few years and make the most of the best pack (we hope) that he has ever player behind.

I think he has been a mixed bag, which means good and bad, up till now. I disagree with anyone who thinks it's all been awful to date. I think we should continue to praise the good and criticise the bad. By round 6 or 8 if things aren't good enough I'll give you the whetstone for the ax.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:33 pm

I think he is a halfback, that needs to improve his kicking game/last play options.

With a good half by his side, he has a good running game and might be a decent 5/8.

With significantly improved defence a 9. (But defending around the ruck is different to defending out wide, he won't get isolated as much)


Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm

Post by Munk » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 1:11 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:58 pm
Needaname wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:13 pm
Rarely criticised?
Small fortune?
Everyone is saying it’s sink or swim for Brooks this year, not just us tigers fans, the media and experts.
Outside of Brodie Croft, Brooks would be the lowest paid halfback in the comp.
If his rated at the lower end of the tier well we’ve still got what we paid for. I thought he looked more active in last weeks trial and really got everyone going up the field all night.
Lawrence was making 20 meters a run on the back of Brooks delivery, when was the last time you saw that?
I get it people want a premier half to lead this team around. My thoughts are Brooks have never been coached properly and from what we can see in the preseason Ivan has him engaged and willing to learn all the skills required to be an organising half not just the pretty ones.
It sucks that his still learning his trade, but he is only 23 and at least this year the job his to prove to everyone he has what it takes.
The position he is in right now is perfect for us as a team, he can only go up.
Well said, agree with your summary.
Mate he has had a charmed life as a footballer. He has earnt a great deal of money with the club whilst producing fist all. He has never improved his kicking game, that some claimed was his strength coming into grade, and still looks substandard in this area. His front on defensive technique has improved but lateraly he still chases spider webs. He goes missing when the heat is on and his judgement of when to run the ball is terrible. He is a fraud who is damn lucky to have come through our system. Had it been through most others, hed be just about finishing his boilermaking apprenticeship right about now.

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 5:55 am

There is only one position for Luke Brooks. I'd like to welcome him as the new whipping boy for the Wests Tigers Forum. Stand aside Chris Lawrence and Kevin Naiqama. Beware Tui Lolohea, you're next!
"Quality Stupidity"

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29878
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 6:19 am

Has Brooks really produced nothing or just part of a team that's produced nothing..

Individually won Dally M rookie of the Year in 2014 Top 10 in NRL for Try assists Linebreak assists ..2015 again Top 10 in those areas 2016 just outside Top 10 2017 way down in those areas but Ranked 2 for Halfbacks in run metres and hit ups per game...

As for charmed life is it his fault the Wests Tigers offered him these contracts...Ivan pulled the other knuckleheads could have easily done the same with Brooks...He had inerest from the Storm prior to talking up his 2017 option and was wanted by Hasler at the Dogs but Dessie was probably looney by then
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 6:53 am

Care to explain to me how Brooks has a good running game? I just don't see it. The whole point of a halfback taking the line on is to catch out the tiring forwards in the middle. Every time I see Brooks take the line on he gets smashed. How is that an effective running game?

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4145
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:09 am

upthetigers wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 6:53 am
Care to explain to me how Brooks how a good running game? I just don't see it. The whole point of a halfback taking the line on is to catch out the tiring forwards in the middle. Every time I see Brooks take the line on he gets smashed. How is that an effective running game?
Have you looked at the halfback running metre over the last few years?

That would be a good place to start.
in Ivan we distrust

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:18 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:09 am
upthetigers wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 6:53 am
Care to explain to me how Brooks how a good running game? I just don't see it. The whole point of a halfback taking the line on is to catch out the tiring forwards in the middle. Every time I see Brooks take the line on he gets smashed. How is that an effective running game?
Have you looked at the halfback running metre over the last few years?

That would be a good place to start.
I saw Geo mention that stat but does it tell the whole picture? Comparatively speaking he could just be taking the line on more. He doesn't need to be another forward out there he needs to create more in attack. Our attack was abysmal last season.

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4145
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:28 am

upthetigers wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:18 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:09 am
upthetigers wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 6:53 am
Care to explain to me how Brooks how a good running game? I just don't see it. The whole point of a halfback taking the line on is to catch out the tiring forwards in the middle. Every time I see Brooks take the line on he gets smashed. How is that an effective running game?
Have you looked at the halfback running metre over the last few years?

That would be a good place to start.
I saw Geo mention that stat but does it tell the whole picture? Comparatively speaking he could just be taking the line on more. He doesn't need to be another forward out there he needs to create more in attack. Our attack was abysmal last season.
No it doesn't tell the whole picture.
I agree our attack was hopeless last year. We no longer have an attacking DH. Teddy didn't do what he had done the previous years. Nofo was injured but was still one of our best. Brooks didn't have the try assists he had in previous years and Moses tanked then bailed leaving us with a new halves combination mid season.
I don't really see how you can pin all that on Brooks.
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4145
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:08 am

upthetigers wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 6:53 am
Care to explain to me how Brooks has a good running game? I just don't see it. The whole point of a halfback taking the line on is to catch out the tiring forwards in the middle. Every time I see Brooks take the line on he gets smashed. How is that an effective running game?
The forwards pack has been getting owned the whole time Brooks has been halfback. Look at the other packs in the comp that have made the finals in recent years and hand on heart tell me ours is better.

Look at the spine we had last year that Brooks had to worked with. Liddle was injured most of the year. Teddy was good until he got selected for SOO, then did nothing for us. Moses tanked until he was told to go. Brooks had hamstring issues and had a delay start to the season with LittleJohn filling in.

You say Brooks lacks confidence yet bag the crap out of him on social media every chance you get, even before a game has been played. Brooks sometimes plays good then sometimes frustrates me but I don't go onto social media and bag one of our own. I can't see what good for the WTs as a whole that can do.

Do we have Nathan Cleary playing in reserve grade and Brooks taking his spot? No. We have Josh Drinkwater for Christ sake. Have we dropped JT and played Brooks instead? Did we not go after Pearce or other top half because we thought that Brooks was better than them?

If you want to go on social media and bag players , why don't you do it to opposition players? or WTs players that piked out to join a team that looks like it will be more successful than ours.
in Ivan we distrust

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29878
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:21 am



Well there are times he can kick and run..his combination with Tedesco in 2014 was very good..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:32 am

Think Luke was worried Fui Fui was going to eat him
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:33 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:08 am
If you want to go on social media and bag players , why don't you do it to opposition players?
That would be hating just for the sake of hating. I just want to start seeing some success at this club and Brooks rubs me the wrong way because it seems like he believed his own hype and hasn't put in the work to excel at NRL level. How can you explain his poor kicking game? That has nothing to do with the forwards. We lack the creativity in attack so to score points we have to rely on field position and building pressure and we can't even do that. It is such a key position and when you have blokes like Pearce go to Newcastle it just pisses me off further lol.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29878
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:36 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:32 am
Think Luke was worried Fui Fui was going to eat him
:lol: :lol: that would do it...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

The Old Fox
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun 09 Jul, 2017 5:33 pm

Post by The Old Fox » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:43 am

Anywhere away from the ball on 5th tackle!

Post Reply