Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:01 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 8:40 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 7:23 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 7:19 pm

Well said Russ..

This thread just seems to be an opportunity to further slip the boot in by the usual suspects before a ball has been kicked in real anger...

I'd have Rowdy ahead of Tui though...
Couldn't help yourself eh! Chief. - should've known there would be a sting.
I don’t think that there’d be too many “Wanting “ Brooks to fail Geo,
But I do think that a lot are worried that he will . There’s a difference.

I for one , hope that he absolutely kills it.
He’s got the Talent. He’s shown that,
But it’s mainly his decisions that have been suspect, along with a shaky kicking game,
I’d have more confidence if we had a more reliable partner with him, but we’ve got what we’ve got
GCT,the best things that Brooks has this year is Reynolds and Benji helping him out,far better than the leech he had that left for greener pastures (or should I say blue and gold pastures) never mind .....you know what I mean....
Not sue why some are so sure that Reynolds is the best thing yet,
If you watched him over the last few years, you couldn’t be as confident as you are about him,
Pretty ordinary. But no doubt that was Haslers fault I suppose
Benjii is fine, but I would have thought that Reynolds would be the first choice after they chased him so hard. .
If he is better than I think, I won’t mind a bit, but he scares me every time he touches the ball.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:28 pm

Needaname wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 8:24 pm
Not the Drinkwater debate again.
Luke is the only recognised halfback in our top 28 squad.
Well we do also have the Dally M halfback of the year from 2015...

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:35 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:27 pm
TrueTiger wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:01 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 8:40 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 7:23 pm

Couldn't help yourself eh! Chief. - should've known there would be a sting.
I don’t think that there’d be too many “Wanting “ Brooks to fail Geo,
But I do think that a lot are worried that he will . There’s a difference.

I for one , hope that he absolutely kills it.
He’s got the Talent. He’s shown that,
But it’s mainly his decisions that have been suspect, along with a shaky kicking game,
I’d have more confidence if we had a more reliable partner with him, but we’ve got what we’ve got
GCT,the best things that Brooks has this year is Reynolds and Benji helping him out,far better than the leech he had that left for greener pastures (or should I say blue and gold pastures) never mind .....you know what I mean....
Not sue why some are so sure that Reynolds is the best thing yet,
If you watched him over the last few years, you couldn’t be as confident as you are about him,
Pretty ordinary. But no doubt that was Haslers fault I suppose
Benjii is fine, but I would have thought that Reynolds would be the first choice after they chased him so hard. .
If he is better than I think, I won’t mind a bit, but he scares me every time he touches the ball.
Yes mate I hear you,but,I think Reynolds will be there to help Brooks develope his allround game more....it wont be all about him,but more to help Brooks become a better playmaker...and dont forget that Reynolds was good enough to play origin...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:35 pm

Half back in State Cup.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:52 pm

Geo. wrote:
Russell wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 7:14 pm
Gee Wizz, Let's hang him and be done with it.

Brooks - Whipping Boy No. 1 for 2018.
Tui - Whipping Boy No. 2 for 2018.
? - Whipping Boy No. 3 for 2018.

Will it be Rowdy or Kev again or one of the new recruits - stay tuned.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Well said Russ..

This thread just seems to be an opportunity to further slip the boot in by the usual suspects before a ball has been kicked in real anger...

Do you think it's not deserved , seriously Geo

How long do we have to wait for potential .........

How many halfbacks came up on the market in 2017 that are far ahead of Brooks ??

Has nothing to do with putting the boot in , if we have a quality 7 and we might achieve something ....finally ......

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:52 pm
Geo. wrote:
Russell wrote:

Well said Russ..

How many halfbacks came up on the market in 2017 that are far ahead of Brooks ??

Has nothing to do with putting the boot in , if we have a quality 7 and we might achieve something ....finally ......
Brooks is terrible. Gamble is awesome.

Lawrence - he’d be better for the club entertaining the sponsors.

Kev - lame. Should play state cup.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:09 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Russell wrote:

Well said Russ..

Each to their own..

Only 22 there are parts of his game that rank highly for any half in the comp..there are parts that need vast improvement as well....

The pack has been beefed up..,,keeping them on the Park us what will determine how much we achieve more than anything IMO..games are generally won up front on the back of defence..Brisbane won a comp with Shane Perry at half

Lets see how the reserve orange peeler goes 1st eh..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:35 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:09 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Russell wrote:

Well said Russ..

Each to their own..

Only 22 there are parts of his game that rank highly for any half in the comp..there are parts that need vast improvement as well....

The pack has been beefed up..,,keeping them on the Park us what will determine how much we achieve more than anything IMO..games are generally won up front on the back of defence..Brisbane won a comp with Shane Perry at half

Lets see how the reserve orange peeler goes 1st eh..
He get his last chance to shine , no one should be making excuses after this season

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 5:58 am

Hope it works- but not convinced about the combination of Brooks and Reynolds - see them both as impulsive and often not in a good way. Cant see both holding positions unless their decision making vastly improves.

The Old Fox

Post by The Old Fox » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 6:52 am

It;s a catch 22 with our halves, we didn't pay them 1.2 million dollars a year to drop them in 5 seconds if they have a bad game however. The bigger question is the potential of Tyson Gamble and where does he fits into the team if he starts showing the form..keep in mind he wasn't a washed out 26 year old playing for Redcliff last year Cronulla offered him a start in the under 20's.

.he is 6 foot 3 97kg and just 21 years old and probably ahead of Moses in development at the same age especially in defence..when Moses played in FG he had to hide on the wing in defence because it was sub standard...... if any one was paying close attention to Gamble he did two giant smothering ball and all tackles one of them causing a drop ball that led to a try...

his 40/20 near miss, was near Cameron Smith genius the kid has a brain..when was the last 40.20 Brooks kicked? and I gather that's the claim made here..my concern is..just like we lost Blake Austin giving Moses the benefit of the doubt are we going to lose Gamble because we can't find a place for him in the team?

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 7:04 am

Nelson wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:28 pm
Needaname wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 8:24 pm
Not the Drinkwater debate again.
Luke is the only recognised halfback in our top 28 squad.
Well we do also have the Dally M halfback of the year from 2015...
Doesn’t sound like his gunning for Brooks’ spot though. He likes the freedom of playing off the back of a halfback.

NRL 2018: Wests Tigers co-captain Benji Marshall preparing for tears on return
Adam Pengilly
Published: February 22 2018 - 6:15PM

It will be a 1646-day wait Benji Marshall wishes he never had to endure. The Tigers' favourite son insists he will shed tears the first time he pulls on a black and gold jumper again as he brushed off suggestions he will be a bit-part player at his old club.

Father-to-be Marshall, whose wife Zoe is expecting their first child any day, will skip the Tigers' final trial against the Sharks this weekend, instead hoping to be included for the opening-round blockbuster against James Tedesco's Roosters without any pre-season minutes under his belt.

And it hasn't stopped the 32-year-old contemplating the prospect of wearing a Tigers jersey for the first time since 2013.

"It will be emotional," Marshall told Fairfax Media. "I've already thought about it and I get a little bit teary when I think about it because it's been so long.

"It was no secret I didn't really want to leave when I left anyway. To have the opportunity to come back again is probably something I never thought would happen. I don't know what's going to happen at the time, but you get older and you start getting more emotional."

A candid Marshall – who last week was named as one of five Tigers co-captains alongside Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds, Chris Lawrence and Elijah Taylor – has stressed to coach Ivan Cleary he wants to make a major on-field contribution in 2018 as well as nurture the Tigers' young cubs.

Luke Brooks and Canterbury recruit Reynolds will be given first shot at the base of the Tigers' scrum, but Marshall said he is ready for any role Cleary might throw his way after filling in at hooker for the Broncos under Wayne Bennett last year.

Marshall was the first to concede he was stunned when Cleary asked him to be one of the Tigers' five co-captains, but it wouldn't detract from his ambition to be a regular on-field fixture.

"I even said, 'are you sure [about the co-captaincy]?' When he sat down and explained to me why and the effect I had on the group and the way I led throughout the pre-season ... I was actually proud," Marshall said. "It was a very humbling moment to obviously come back into a side at 32, turning 33, and get a responsibility like that.

"I said it to Ivan when I came here my goal is to contribute on the field and not off the field. I'm going to do it anyway regardless of whether I play or not, but I'm going to be putting pressure on you to have to select me by [my] performances."

Brooks has been given a licence to roam either side of the field in attack with Reynolds – and potentially Marshall – to act as a foil to the Tigers' general who has assumed extra responsibility under Cleary.

Brooks is one of the few constants in a Tigers squad almost unrecognisable from last year, with Marshall, Reynolds, Packer, Ben Matulino and Chris McQueen heading a host of recruits to arrive at Concord.

While Marshall played down suggestions he could bob up on the field at the same time as Brooks and Reynolds, he was more candid about the No.7's influence over the Tigers and offered to put his hand up to wear the No.9 if required.

"The way I do see it with Luke and Josh at the moment is, it's a great opportunity for Luke to control the game at first receiver – it doesn't matter what side," Marshall said. "He's been pigeonholed on the left for however many years and he can roam anywhere he wants and play off the back of it.

"I think Josh's best game is when he sees a quick play-the-ball and just brings energy doing what he does. If I get the opportunity to come in and fit in there somewhere ... that's been my best game as well letting the halfback organise.

"Injuries happen, things change ... I found that out at Brisbane. You can get thrown in the deep end pretty quickly. If I have to [play hooker I will]."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r ... 0whl8.html

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 7:13 am

If Gamble dominates State Cup, he will gets his chance coming off the bench as a utility. Putting pressure on for a starting position. The only starting position I see him being selected for is 5/8.
Brooks is the best halfback at the club, so let's get behind him. If we had a B Croft waiting he the wings I could get all the white-anting. But we don't.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 7:42 am

First Reyolds has publicly backed him as being an organising halfback and now Benji.
See below.
Maybe they see something we don’t, or maybe they have no clue?

BABY watch has delayed Benji watch at the Wests Tigers.

The return of the Tigers’ favourite son will not happen until the start of the season after Marshall ruled himself out of the second and final trial game Saturday night so he could focus on the birth of his first baby.

Marshall ditched last weekend’s hitout in Cairns to be with wife Zoe for the expected arrival of their cub.

With his baby due to be born any minute, a fighting-fit Marshall is not taking any chances by travelling an hour south west to play against Cronulla at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

“The baby is due any minute. I’ve got my phone in my pocket, and even when we train, I’ll hand the phone to the trainers, just in case the phone call comes,’’ Marshall told The Daily Telegraph.

“We were due last week.

“I’m anxious, excited, nervous, and I won’t play this weekend because of it. It’s a trial game. Had it been the season, maybe it would have been a little different, but don’t tell the wife that.

“I want to be there for the first child. It’s been a dream of mine to become a dad, we struggled for a few years to make it happen, and I want to make every moment count.’’

It’s an exciting time for Marshall and wife Zoe.
One thing that has Marshall just as excited is the Tigers’ season ahead, especially with how quickly new halves Luke Brooks and Josh Reynolds have clicked.

Marshall, who returns to the club where he won a premiership before eventually being shown the door at the end of 2013, expects his role to come off the bench — and likely assisting the halves.

Not being required to play 80 minutes in the early rounds, along with his long experience in the top flight, will ensure he is more than physically ready from round one against the Sydney Roosters.

As for Reynolds and Brooks, Marshall said: “I’ve never seen Josh train before here, but he trains how he plays.

“He brings a lot of energy to training, he’s very competitive, and that rubs off on the other players.

“For Luke, his growth through the pre-season, I train with him in the gym and he’s lifting stronger than he’s ever lifted — I’ll take credit because I push him on there.

“I think within himself he’s confident, he knows it’s his team, and me and Josh have stressed that to him. He’s running the side, and we’ll play off the back of it. That suits him because he loves to control, and that helps him step up.

“There is a quiet confidence within this group. The way we’ve recruited is very smart, there’s a lot of experience and guys in the forwards who have played a lot of games like Russell Packer, Ben Matulino and Chris McQueen, who has played Origin.

“The best thing I’ve noticed is there’s no pecking order in the locker room, nobody is better than anyone else, and everyone is on the same page.’’

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 8:55 am

Needaname wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 7:42 am
First Reyolds has publicly backed him as being an organising halfback and now Benji.
See below.
Maybe they see something we don’t, or maybe they have no clue?

BABY watch has delayed Benji watch at the Wests Tigers.

The return of the Tigers’ favourite son will not happen until the start of the season after Marshall ruled himself out of the second and final trial game Saturday night so he could focus on the birth of his first baby.

Marshall ditched last weekend’s hitout in Cairns to be with wife Zoe for the expected arrival of their cub.

With his baby due to be born any minute, a fighting-fit Marshall is not taking any chances by travelling an hour south west to play against Cronulla at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

“The baby is due any minute. I’ve got my phone in my pocket, and even when we train, I’ll hand the phone to the trainers, just in case the phone call comes,’’ Marshall told The Daily Telegraph.

“We were due last week.

“I’m anxious, excited, nervous, and I won’t play this weekend because of it. It’s a trial game. Had it been the season, maybe it would have been a little different, but don’t tell the wife that.

“I want to be there for the first child. It’s been a dream of mine to become a dad, we struggled for a few years to make it happen, and I want to make every moment count.’’

It’s an exciting time for Marshall and wife Zoe.
One thing that has Marshall just as excited is the Tigers’ season ahead, especially with how quickly new halves Luke Brooks and Josh Reynolds have clicked.

Marshall, who returns to the club where he won a premiership before eventually being shown the door at the end of 2013, expects his role to come off the bench — and likely assisting the halves.

Not being required to play 80 minutes in the early rounds, along with his long experience in the top flight, will ensure he is more than physically ready from round one against the Sydney Roosters.

As for Reynolds and Brooks, Marshall said: “I’ve never seen Josh train before here, but he trains how he plays.

“He brings a lot of energy to training, he’s very competitive, and that rubs off on the other players.

“For Luke, his growth through the pre-season, I train with him in the gym and he’s lifting stronger than he’s ever lifted — I’ll take credit because I push him on there.

“I think within himself he’s confident, he knows it’s his team, and me and Josh have stressed that to him. He’s running the side, and we’ll play off the back of it. That suits him because he loves to control, and that helps him step up.

“There is a quiet confidence within this group. The way we’ve recruited is very smart, there’s a lot of experience and guys in the forwards who have played a lot of games like Russell Packer, Ben Matulino and Chris McQueen, who has played Origin.

“The best thing I’ve noticed is there’s no pecking order in the locker room, nobody is better than anyone else, and everyone is on the same page.’’
I think with Brooks going into Round 1 as the starting halfback, you have to get behind him, especially if he's your team mate. He's not going to be bagged by fellow squad members in the press, because that's simply illogical. But they certainly could be onto something, but as always, time will tell.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 4:41 pm

Support from within the club is not a true indicator. Fluff pieces, if Benji and Josh had come out and said he could not organise brown paper bags if in charge of the roosters player payments, that would have been a story

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 4:52 pm

How about not saying anything at all.
They could have done that.
I think you’ll find we have a very competitive very supportive group of players, from within that seems. Shame about the supporters.

Munk

Post by Munk » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 9:37 pm

Needaname wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 4:52 pm
How about naot saying anything at all.
They could have done that.
I think you’ll find we have a very competitive very supportive group of players, from within that seems. Shame about the supporters.
Get off your high horse pal. People are well within their rights to be sceptical of Brooks. He seems the most charmed player in the comp, producing so very little yet rarely criticised and paid a small fortune to do it.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:13 pm

Rarely criticised?
Small fortune?
Everyone is saying it’s sink or swim for Brooks this year, not just us tigers fans, the media and experts.
Outside of Brodie Croft, Brooks would be the lowest paid halfback in the comp.
If his rated at the lower end of the tier well we’ve still got what we paid for. I thought he looked more active in last weeks trial and really got everyone going up the field all night.
Lawrence was making 20 meters a run on the back of Brooks delivery, when was the last time you saw that?
I get it people want a premier half to lead this team around. My thoughts are Brooks have never been coached properly and from what we can see in the preseason Ivan has him engaged and willing to learn all the skills required to be an organising half not just the pretty ones.
It sucks that his still learning his trade, but he is only 23 and at least this year the job his to prove to everyone he has what it takes.
The position he is in right now is perfect for us as a team, he can only go up.