What is Brooks best position

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: What is Brooks best position

Post by old man tiger » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:55 am

He never combined well with Moses in FG, that was a catalyst for his developing game stalling in my opinion.

Watching the highlights reiterates that for me. Maybe because they were coached to play L and R? Maybe some other reason, I don't know.

Anyone who didn't see some potential in him at the end of 2014 was probably expecting too much.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:57 am

upthetigers wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:33 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:08 am
If you want to go on social media and bag players , why don't you do it to opposition players?
That would be hating just for the sake of hating. I just want to start seeing some success at this club and Brooks rubs me the wrong way because it seems like he believed his own hype and hasn't put in the work to excel at NRL level. How can you explain his poor kicking game? That has nothing to do with the forwards. We lack the creativity in attack so to score points we have to rely on field position and building pressure and we can't even do that. It is such a key position and when you have blokes like Pearce go to Newcastle it just pisses me off further lol.
Doesn't take much to p,,, you off by the look of it.

Bit of a trial match against very mediocre opposition as the sky fell in for you.

God help you in the 2018 season then.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:03 am

Russell wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:57 am
upthetigers wrote:
Tigerdon wrote:
If you want to go on social media and bag players , why don't you do it to opposition players?
That would be hating just for the sake of hating. I just want to start seeing some success at this club and Brooks rubs me the wrong way because it seems like he believed his own hype and hasn't put in the work to excel at NRL level. How can you explain his poor kicking game? That has nothing to do with the forwards. We lack the creativity in attack so to score points we have to rely on field position and building pressure and we can't even do that. It is such a key position and when you have blokes like Pearce go to Newcastle it just pisses me off further lol.

Bit of a trial match against very mediocre opposition as the sky fell in for you.

Yeah cause my thoughts are based on one trial game and not all his time at the Tigers you clown.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:05 am

Maybe hes reached his peak, gotten as far as he can go upthetigers.
Bit of a stretch to suggest he hasnt put in the work...I cant agree there.

As for his best position...it has to be 7, I dont see how you can expect a bloke who has played in one position his whole life to change and excel in another spot in the toughest comp in the world, particularly when he hasnt nailed down his preferred spot yet...silly suggestion imo

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:19 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 8:21 am

Well there are times he can kick and run..his combination with Tedesco in 2014 was very good..
That was a real purple patch with 4 big boppers on the bench. Hopefully the ‘18 Tigers pack can dominate & Brooksy can get back to that kind of form.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:21 am

upthetigers wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:03 am
Russell wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:57 am
upthetigers wrote:
Tigerdon wrote:

Yeah cause my thoughts are based on one trial game and not all his time at the Tigers you clown.
This is a new season - it has never been played before. Brooks hasn't played any games in this 2018 season.

It is a new forward pack - Brooks hasn't played an NRL game with this pack yet.

We have a new 5/8 this year - Brooks has not played an NRL game with this 5/8 yet.

I could go on. However what went on before is now not applicable unless he produces the same thing in this coming NRL season.

I can see the value in constructive criticism and pointing out inadequacies on the Forum.

I cannot see the value in just bagging someone when he hasn't even run onto the field in the 2018 NRL season.

It was a trial in Cairns - not a real game but don't let that worry you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:25 am

Its quite reasonable to judge people on their past....you cant judge them on the future Russell

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:30 am

That would be hating just for the sake of hating
Is that any worse than white anting one of our own?

*White-Anting, (Australia, colloquial) The action or process of bringing down from within.
White-anting is an Australian term for the process of internal erosion of a foundation. It is often used in reference to groups such as political parties or White-anting is an Australian term for the process of internal erosion of a foundation. It is often used in reference to groups such as political parties or organisations, clubs to undermine the goals of the group.
The Macquarie Dictionary says the verb "to white-ant" means "to subvert or undermine from within".
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:16 am

old man tiger wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:55 am
He never combined well with Moses in FG, that was a catalyst for his developing game stalling in my opinion.

Watching the highlights reiterates that for me. Maybe because they were coached to play L and R? Maybe some other reason, I don't know.

Anyone who didn't see some potential in him at the end of 2014 was probably expecting too much.
I've said the same to my mrs a thousand times.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:29 pm

I havnt seen anything in Brooks behaviour or game that suggests that he has ever believed in any of the hype that was once around him - which has now well and truly ceased. The kicker for him is now there is no more waiting for it to happen, his position is more vulnerable than ever.
He will either rise to the challenge or he wont - but either way he will come out of the game financially healthy for a young man who was touted as the next big thing and never quite delivered.
Hope he has a great season but he probably could do with some of that self confidence/belief that has seen others kick on and left him stagnant.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:30 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:25 am
Its quite reasonable to judge people on their past....you cant judge them on the future Russell
That is very true Ink - when comparing oranges with oranges.

As it is a different season, he is a year older, different front row, different 5/8.

It then becomes a situation where you are trying to compare oranges with apples.

All I am saying is give him a go in his new circumstances. If he doesn't measure up - then get stuck into him.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 1:01 pm

I feel for brooksy, When you look at guys like Shaun Johnson, Adam Reynolds ,Gareth Widdop or even Ash Taylor, None of these guys have taken their team to the semi's for a few years and not one of them is considered the reason they have had little success.
Lets just Re-cap his last three seasons.
2015 yep he wasnt great(his second year in FG)
2016 we were one win away from semi finals.
2017 possibly the worst/hardest year i have seen a club go through with Farah sacked, JT sacked, Simona's rubbish and then the media circus around the "not so" big three leaving, how was brooks suppose to lift a team in such chaos out of the depths to the finals and regain the support of the so called fans.......there isnt a halfback in the comp that would have got us to finals last year.
It takes a team playing together to achieve success.
Hopefully with a team more focussed on winnig games then chasing the highest dollar we might just get the 2 points more often, I hope brooks plays out of his skin and if he does this will be a very humbling forum to read through.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 2:09 pm

Balmainian wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 1:01 pm
I feel for brooksy, When you look at guys like Shaun Johnson, Adam Reynolds ,Gareth Widdop or even Ash Taylor, None of these guys have taken their team to the semi's for a few years and not one of them is considered the reason they have had little success.
2017 possibly the worst/hardest year i have seen a club go through with Farah sacked, JT sacked, Simona's rubbish and then the media circus around the "not so" big three leaving, how was brooks suppose to lift a team in such chaos out of the depths to the finals and regain the support of the so called fans.......there isnt a halfback in the comp that would have got us to finals last year.
Hopefully with a team more focussed on winnig games then chasing the highest dollar we might just get the 2 points more often, I hope brooks plays out of his skin and if he does this will be a very humbling forum to read through.
Agree - but it won't be humbling.

It,ll be - "I knew he could do it" or "It took him long enough, but I always said I hoped he would" etc.

You will get about 3 or 4 admit they were wrong but there will not be any humbling.

Who cares anyway - let us just hope that with more going for him this year that it all comes together for the team, the players and us supporters. May the force be with you Luke!

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 5:02 pm

Russell wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 2:09 pm
Balmainian wrote:

It,ll be - "I knew he could do it" or "It took him long enough, but I always said I hoped he would" etc.

You will get about 3 or 4 admit they were wrong but there will not be any humbling.

Who cares anyway - let us just hope that with more going for him this year that it all comes together for the team, the players and us supporters. May the force be with you Luke!
Some will have a field day with this comment but, I think this is the best team the weststigers have had apart from the 05 squad.

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 5:24 pm

Either way, this season is Luke's to grab with both hands and deliver on his early promise, or forget any aspirations of being considered a good if not great half back.
If he hasn't aimed up by half way through the season, you can bet Ivan will be having a quiet but serious chat with his son.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 5:44 pm

Balmainian wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 5:02 pm
Russell wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 2:09 pm
Balmainian wrote:

Some will have a field day with this comment but, I think this is the best team the weststigers have had apart from the 05 squad.
Hard to argue that considering it is the biggest recruitment drive the club has undertaken and we havnt played a game yet - I hope you are right.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 6:30 pm

Give him a run at 9, as long as he doesn't kick he might go OK.

Brooks 9
Benji 7
Reynolds/Gamble 6

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:57 am

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/28/bro ... t-to-come/

Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks talks about living up to expectations, the Andrew Johns comparison and Benji Marshall’s return