Hbom wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:02 am
junior05 wrote:
Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:16 am
king sirro wrote:
Sun 15 Apr, 2018 9:56 am
junior05 wrote:
Sun 15 Apr, 2018 8:14 am
We may have a very good fullback in Dylan Smith, let's see how goes with a few games in ISP first before we rush out and buy a fullback. We need wingers and centers with pace first and foremost. And Tariq Sims would be nice as well.

Physically a long way off first grade. Like Ryan Pap and Matt Dufty, he will be best served holding back until physically ready. May take 2 years, even 3. So we have plenty of time to sign another fullback.
I agree to some degree, Ryan Pap has only played one game for Sunshine Coast Falcons and to me, he looked out of his deep in that game.But Matt Dufty is going great at this movement. There are a few good fullbacks in the ISP, Jai field, William Kennedy just to name a few.
Wait... Bubba Kennedy is back!? I thought he was wasted in the centres and should have been a fullback.
Don’t laugh but Bubba was still playing last year for a small town called Cargo.
I think he is 48.

teddy23

Post by teddy23 » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:59 pm

junior05 wrote:
Sun 15 Apr, 2018 8:14 am
We may have a very good fullback in Dylan Smith, let's see how goes with a few games in ISP first before we rush out and buy a fullback. We need wingers and centers with pace first and foremost. And Tariq Sims would be nice aswell.
Dylan isn’t that small physically, but needs a few more years

Jai field looks to be a real player

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 5:12 pm

Since this is a fullback thread.
Did anyone catch Tuis game in ISP on the weekend.
2 questions come out of that,
His not ready for the positional play of fullback.
Is he really happy to be a fullback or would he prefer to play in the halves?
I had visions of Tui poking his head in around the ruck looking for the offload or ready for a quick scoot but so more often he seamed more interested in receiving the ball in a sweeping play and putting pressure on his edges again.
It’s going to be a long way back to first grade for him, and after that performance I felt sorry for Helata and the rest of the team as they actually look a better outfit with Heleta at Fullback.
Tui might be best getting his game back from the wing in Nofas old ISP position.

joelw2002

Post by joelw2002 » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:31 pm

Needaname wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 5:12 pm
I had visions of Tui poking his head in around the ruck looking for the offload or ready for a quick scoot but so more often he seamed more interested in receiving the ball in a sweeping play and putting pressure on his edges again.
It’s going to be a long way back to first grade for him, and after that performance I felt sorry for Helata and the rest of the team as they actually look a better outfit with Heleta at Fullback.
Tui might be best getting his game back from the wing in Nofas old ISP position.
I reckon Tui will eventually get his 1st grade role for us in the centres.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 11:03 pm

There aren't many options for fullback for 2018 and beyond. In my opinion there are only three realistic options.

1. Persist with Lolohea and continue to have Thompson as a backup.
2. Take a punt with Bevan French. If we offer him a decent (not overs) contract he would ask for a release for the fact that he would have a better chance at playing fullback here than Eels. His form hasn't been the best this year but his team have been awful so he hasn't been given many chances to shine.
3. Offer Gutherson a four year lucrative contract and hope that the issues at the Eels at the moment make him think twice about staying there.

loyalotiger01

Post by loyalotiger01 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:00 pm

Luke wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 11:03 pm
There aren't many options for fullback for 2018 and beyond. In my opinion there are only three realistic options.

1. Persist with Lolohea and continue to have Thompson as a backup.
2. Take a punt with Bevan French. If we offer him a decent (not overs) contract he would ask for a release for the fact that he would have a better chance at playing fullback here than Eels. His form hasn't been the best this year but his team have been awful so he hasn't been given many chances to shine.
3. Offer Gutherson a four year lucrative contract and hope that the issues at the Eels at the moment make him think twice about staying there.
You also have Coote. Rumours say that he is looking to leave the Cowboys at the end of his contract and is looking to only sign with a Sydney club. He is effective but the isn’t a long term option considering his age (28)

barra

Post by barra » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:08 pm

joelw2002 wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:31 pm
Needaname wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 5:12 pm
I reckon Tui will eventually get his 1st grade role for us in the centres.
Certainly wasn't Tui's best game. Actually a bit surprised he made the 21 this week. I'm not writing him off as a #1 but he needs a fair bit of work.

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:14 pm

Ahhh that old chestnut raises it’s ugly head again - Lachlan Coote- funny how often he is mentioned in this forum, the Cowboys must be ecstatic that we have Coote Groupies ready to accept their has-been cast offs!

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:23 pm

Yes Coote is injured more than he plays. Not sure who we could get for a fullback.

loyalotiger01

Post by loyalotiger01 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:31 pm

Seantice wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:23 pm
Yes Coote is injured more than he plays. Not sure who we could get for a fullback.
I would say Isaako but it looks like Bird is a mainstay at five-eighth, and with Kahu coming back probably in the centres Isaako will likely stay in the starting side.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:44 pm

Coote would be a good pickup if he was cheap but I’m hearing he is asking for near top dollar - so no thank you.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:34 am

I would wait Thompson has been sensational.
I like him as a winger but he looks like a long term fullback both positionally, fielding and returning kicks. He has to develop a Passing game and if he does so this kid may be the next Billy Slater. We have good wingers also MWZ, Fonua, Nofa. Kev and Tui could also cover.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:48 am

cqtiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:44 pm
Coote would be a good pickup if he was cheap but I’m hearing he is asking for near top dollar - so no thank you.
The Roosters offed him a massive amount of cash when he was off contract last time and it was a 4 year deal I think it was the beginning of 2016 it would have started but he took unders last time to stay at the cowboys and said he would go big next time but form and injuries have struck he wants 800K is the rumor he's not worth it

Tarl

Post by Tarl » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:17 pm

No to Coote. what's wrong with Thompson? With Lolohea as backup?

Although I feel Lolo was great at 5/8 last year and that may just be his true position. He's still young. Like to see him in the centres too. Might just be a revelation there.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:11 pm

I think we are close to signing a fullback.

I have been calling for this player for 18 months.

He is not a big name and has not played first grade but I am very excited if it is.

He has a lot of upside.
Last edited by Eddie on Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:12 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:11 pm
I have decent mail we are the he process (close) to signing a fullback.

He is not a big name and has not played first grade but I am very excited if it is.

He has a lot of upside.
meaney from newcastle?

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:51 pm

Theres not much available unfortunately. We do need a good fullback and some speed in our 3/4 line.. Id ameka play for Waqa blake end of this year for centre. Fast and can score tries.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:53 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:12 pm
Eddie wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 3:11 pm
I have decent mail we are the he process (close) to signing a fullback.

He has a lot of upside.
meaney from newcastle?
A good player if we can sign him.