tigerap wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 3:06 pm
Snake wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 2:53 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 2:44 pm
softlaw wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 2:04 pm
So do people who've seen him play think he's more of an aggressive hard runner or a workhorse?
He's not aggressive. From his form this season he's more of a soft, sluggish work horse .

Think of a less impressive version of Eisenhuth.
Well seems nothing to get excited about by the reviews

Ticks all the plodder box categories.....
Oh great! So we punted Felise for this guy? I just don't get it :brick:

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:24 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 2:44 pm
softlaw wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 2:04 pm
So do people who've seen him play think he's more of an aggressive hard runner or a workhorse?
He's not aggressive. From his form this season he's more of a soft, sluggish work horse .

Think of a less impressive version of Eisenhuth.
Can't recall seeing him play, but that paints a very poor picture BB.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:35 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 5:39 pm
The critics seem to have watched a lot of the Panthers reserve grade side.

Where? Why?
because i live in the area and have mates who support the panthers, and they are laughing that we have taken this plodder.
also when it was stated a while back that he could be coming i started watching penrith isp games so i could see what he was like, and there deadset right plodder.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:36 pm

Would have rather we kept JJ. No idea why Cleary didn’t rate him.

Properossi

Post by Properossi » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:45 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 4:24 pm
clark is a utter dud, we have better playing a- grade at st clair.
Nothing wrong with playing for the Comets!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:50 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 5:39 pm
The critics seem to have watched a lot of the Panthers reserve grade side.

Where? Why?
He was rumoured to have signed with us months ago.

A lot of ISP games are televised now so it's not too hard to keep track, especially for players in the main teams like Panthers, Mounties, Magpies etc that feature regularly.

When watching Panthers in ISP their forwards are generally all big, strong hard running types, which is why one gets excited when we hear we're signing one. The rest of the ISP team were very impressive, for whatever reason Clark isn't.

Someone said earlier that he was very powerful in 20s but couldn't do the same when against men. Hopefully he can re-find his aggression.
Last edited by Balmain Boy on Wed 27 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willow

Post by willow » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:52 pm

Clark's first day starts on second pair of boots
Dan Talintyre Timestamp Wed 27 Jun 2018, 01:36 PM

It's lucky new recruit Oliver Clark has a second set of boots.

The 21-year-old was at home in Rouse Hill on Tuesday afternoon after wrapping up a big two days of training at the Panthers Academy when his manager called. Clark had spent the past two mornings training with the first-grade squad and then with the Intrust Super Premiership boys in the afternoon, preparing for what he was expecting to be a regular Round 16 game against the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles.

Instead, he was informed that his desire to move across to Wests Tigers — the club he had already signed with for the next two seasons — had come through, and Coach Ivan Cleary was expecting him bright and early at Concord Oval on Wednesday morning to start training with his new teammates.

"It's just been so out of the blue," Clark laughed after his first session at Wests Tigers.

"I haven't had the chance to grab any of my gear or say goodbye to the boys at Penrith because I was already home when I found out that I was coming to Wests Tigers.

"My gear's still sitting there — hopefully it's still there when I go back on Thursday!

"Hopefully they let me back in too," he added with a laugh.

For Clark, while more than committed to the Panthers for the 2018 season, the prospect of linking up with his new club and teammates earlier than expected was the desired goal — particularly with his future sorted for the next two and a half years.

"I had hopes of getting across here early but it was just getting so close to the deadline that I wasn't really sure if it was going to happen or not," the Quakers Hill junior said.

"I'd kind of just expected to be at Penrith for the rest of the year and was completely fine with that, but it's really great that it's come together and I can get started here early.

"I think it's a real club on the up here.

"I've had some past dealings with Ivan [Cleary] when I played with his young bloke at Penrith and I'm really excited to be coached by him and learn as much as I can and really grow myself in the culture here."

Off the back of a busy week, it'll understandably take Clark a week or two to completely settle in to his new environment (and retrieve the rest of his gear in the process), but the junior representative standout says he's feeling pretty comfortable with the situation and focused on putting his best foot forward for the club as soon as possible. Most likely, that will come as early as this Sunday, with the 21-year-old swapping his video review on the Intrust Super Premiership Sea Eagles for the St. George Dragons.

"I'm ready to go this weekend," Clark enthused. "I'm actually really excited about it.

"Sunday afternoon debut for the new club at Leichhardt Oval is pretty special.

"I'm just excited to come in and do my job — whether that's in the NSW Cup competition or elsewhere.

"I think I can really get going under Brett [Hodgson] and do my best for him and help the boys continue what's been a really strong start to the year. I really like the way the Magpies have been playing this year — really tough footy and I think I'll suit that style of play. If anything can come off the back of it that's great, but right now I'm honestly not fussed by any of that, just about doing the week-to-week."

And it's that attitude that has Clark primed to thrive at Wests Tigers, with the 21-year-old in step with the words and principles Cleary has built this new-look team around.

"My goal when I play is just to be the guy that everyone wants to play with," Clark reflected when asked about what type of player he is and strengths he has.

"I try and do the little things and be selfless — that's what I want to base my game off.

"I focus on doing hard stuff and really try to take that on as my job for the team.

"For me, anyway, I think that's the greatest compliment you can get — to be someone that others want to play with. That's just all I try to do every week."

Clark was genuinely surprised when told that his new Coach in Cleary uttered the exact same phrase — be the player that your teammates want to play with — just over 12 months earlier as he spoke to the Wests Tigers players for the first time prior to their win over the North Queensland Cowboys in 2017.

"Really? I had no idea. I guess that's pretty convenient for me," Clark laughed.

"Maybe this club is right for me in more ways than I knew..."

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:53 pm

Properossi wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:45 pm
bp tiger wrote:
ur deadset right, my young bloke plays a- grade there.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 7:04 pm

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 7:31 pm

Gee some of you like to stick the boot in. Give the young fellow a chance, obviously IC and our recruitment staff believe he has something to offer. With the reduction in interchanges, having props who play long minutes may be advantageous.

Properossi

Post by Properossi » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 7:35 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:53 pm
Properossi wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:45 pm
bp tiger wrote:
ur deadset right, my young bloke plays a- grade there.
That’s it brother I’m an old Comet, back when we were the biggest JRLFC in the world!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 7:42 pm

Hopefully this guy is one of Nathan's best mates.

If not i fail to see the point lol
Its an opinion!

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 9:13 pm

I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from him this year in reserves. However, his junior rep honours can't be ignored:

Rep. Honours: NSW U/20's (2015-16), NSW U/18's (2013), NSW U/16's (2012)

And he was NYC team of the year in 2016 alongside Twal and Ponga.

Most players with rep honours like that end up being good first graders at a minimum. I'd give him a chance before calling him a plodder.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 9:38 pm

weststigerman wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 9:13 pm
I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from him this year in reserves. However, his junior rep honours can't be ignored:

Rep. Honours: NSW U/20's (2015-16), NSW U/18's (2013), NSW U/16's (2012)

And he was NYC team of the year in 2016 alongside Twal and Ponga.

Most players with rep honours like that end up being good first graders at a minimum. I'd give him a chance before calling him a plodder.
That is a fair point.

The question then remains why hasnt he gone on with it when others have. If Ivan can tap into that issue then we might have a good low coast recruit on our hands.
Its an opinion!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Welcome Oliver and good luck as you continue to develop. Im sure all our supporters will get right behind you
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:16 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm
Welcome Oliver and good luck as you continue to develop. Im sure all our supporters will get right behind you
Well said TS. Welcome Oliver. You’ve got some good coaches. Rip in.
Need more props.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:40 pm

cktiger wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 6:13 pm
TYGA wrote:
Wed 27 Jun, 2018 5:50 pm
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/team ... ver-clark/

You can see his stats on this page. If correct he averages 73 metres in around 36 minutes of game time and tackle efficiency of 92 percent.
It's not as though he's a 'superstar' signing.
He doesn't sound as bad as some of the doomsayers make out.
Only young for a prop and not on much coin... welcome aboard.
Phil Gould tweeted he needs to play NRL now and was blocked by Panthers strong pack.
They have Tamou, RCG, Merrin, Fisher Harris, CHN, Yeo, Kikau and others. Have a feeling this will be another Twal like signing.
Tigers have a pretty good track record buying young players over the last few years: Twal, Aloai, JAC, Austin.

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:55 pm

He may be a strategic purchase. Going of Gus’ comments, with the supposed reduced interchange, a prop who can play big minutes will be valuable.