Re: Val Holmes

Post by formerguest » Fri 04 May, 2018 8:11 am

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 5:55 am
swag tiger wrote:
Thu 03 May, 2018 11:43 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 03 May, 2018 10:04 pm
Lets hope it happens, Thompson either at wing OR fullback is still the same player...we need to improve our roster, outside backs is a weakness...crazy to knock it back imo
I'm surprised by this Innsaneink as i thought you would be one of the people saying he isn't a fullback.
I wouldve said Thompson wasnt a fullback either earlier on in the season.
TBH I havent paid much attention to the sharks or VH, lets see how he goes in the one jumper the next few games while Dugans out
Don't watch the sharks as they play a crap brand of footy, so can't really comment on his potential signing, particularly for the fullback position.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 04 May, 2018 8:14 am

AnonTiger wrote:
Thu 03 May, 2018 11:35 pm
At the start of the season you would choke if
you knew Thompson would be our FB however he has excelled under Cleary. Lets get this deal done be great value for the team and hopefullt can reach his potential under Ivan
It would be a joke to pay the kind of money he wants for potential.

He needs to be flying to get that coin. (Full Back I'm talking about).

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 04 May, 2018 8:17 am

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 1:56 am
even better, how about Lolohea and Lawrence for Ponga, fast FB, with good passing game and very good goal kicker :sign:
Obviously just throwing it out there with no thought - right? (or is it a joke?)

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Fri 04 May, 2018 8:30 am

I would take him , he is quick and we need more speed , he is a talent , it's a yes from me if it happens

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 04 May, 2018 9:02 am

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 5:55 am
swag tiger wrote:
Thu 03 May, 2018 11:43 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 03 May, 2018 10:04 pm
Lets hope it happens, Thompson either at wing OR fullback is still the same player...we need to improve our roster, outside backs is a weakness...crazy to knock it back imo
I'm surprised by this Innsaneink as i thought you would be one of the people saying he isn't a fullback.
I wouldve said Thompson wasnt a fullback either earlier on in the season.
TBH I havent paid much attention to the sharks or VH, lets see how he goes in the one jumper the next few games while Dugans out
From what I've seen of Val at fullback he is a bit rough. As you say, Thompson at fullback or on the wing is the same dependable player. Given that Val is an exceptional winger and Thompson is the stand out at fullback you'd think that the side would be stronger if Val is brought in to play on the wing and Thompson is left at fullback rather than the other way around.

Anyway, I am not especially hopeful but since our source has been right a couple of times now (I wouldn't expect that the SMH trawls forums for info,) maybe there is some legs to it.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 04 May, 2018 10:17 am

teddy23 wrote:
Wed 02 May, 2018 5:43 pm
What does a winger do that would be restricted from you being a fullback, instead of finishing on the sideline?

You have Holmes in the thick of things at fullback, more on the ball and lurking off offloads through the middle (imagine him following Masters, Mahe and Nofo let alone the forwards), imagine Holmes with a broken line he’s one of the best in the NRL with some serious pace!
That's a good question and I wish people would take it seriously.
A Fullback is not a winger upgrade!

Looking at both positions:
Wingers
Wingers are good at sideline tryscoring, at high ball intercepts, edge defense, taking tough passes and putting a ball down on the right side of a white line.

Fullbacks
Fullbacks are good at gap spotting and running. I.e. seeing the whole field and realising where the opposition is weak. They need to think the whole field. They may be a Hayne/GI/Dugan style and run through a weak gap, or they may see gaps and know when to pass to get a guy through the hole.

The key bit is the Fullback needs to be a mystery in attack and a mindreader in defense. Will he run, pass go it himself or kick!

I don't think Val Holmes is a fullback. He has the speed and he can pick the gaps. But he doesn't seem to have that game sense or very strong passing game that a Fullback needs. He instead seems like a winger who wants to be over the try line each game.

His manager is probably pushing him to Fullback for him to get more money. We should offer him 350k to play fullback or 550k to play wing and see what he says.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 04 May, 2018 10:18 am

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Wed 02 May, 2018 5:12 pm
851 wrote:
Wed 02 May, 2018 5:03 pm
mctiger wrote:
Wed 02 May, 2018 4:57 pm
eyewonder wrote:
Wed 02 May, 2018 4:50 pm
it would be ironic if hilmes came to the tigers and stopped the one way traffic cronulla bound-
collis,ashford,gibbs,morris,heigno ryan to name a few.
the last shark to become a tiger was.......?
Galloway
Ado-Carr
And the fabulous Nick Graham came from the sharks, also Ava went to the sharks last year, and Fifita was a big loss, we certainly have supplied them plenty
Surely the only ones we’d want to keep that went to the Sharks would have been Fifita and Gibbs. The rest they were almost doing us a favour.
Gibbs, you have to be kidding!
Fifita we should have kept. I understand it was a choice between Woods and Groat or Gibbs and Fifita. If somehow we could have kept FIfita and Woods we would have had a very different forward pack. I think Fifita could have looked to Todd and others, clearly his game was good and was going to improve.

Gibbs had great energy and heart, but far out that guy made mistakes. Every game it was "drop ball, knock on, oops". I think he sat mainly on the reserve bench of the Sharks. We could have let Groat go, but it's that young player transition to first grade and we did not know he wasn't going to shine.

Loosing Ryan and Chris H was so savage to the team. We saw the tigers go from the top 8 to the bottom 8 and it was pretty clear why. Heighington was solid, when he was replaced with Adam Blair we weren't used to an impact Prop playing for key moments. Beau Ryan was an awesome defender and seemed to be the backline glue that stopped tries and made a huge difference on the field. To me he was our Clint Gutherson.

We swapped Chris H and Ryan for Braith Anasta and Blair. I doubt there is a single Tigers fan, with hindsight who thinks this was a good idea. This hurt us far more then Loosing Fifita, our forwards were weak and our backline defense was hopeless.

Meh :deadhorse:

On Topic. We should offer Holmes 400K if he wants to play Fullback, 550K if he wants to play wing!

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 04 May, 2018 10:59 am

colmcd wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 10:18 am
851 wrote:
mctiger wrote:
Wed 02 May, 2018 4:57 pm

Galloway
Ado-Carr
And the fabulous Nick Graham came from the sharks, also Ava went to the sharks last year, and Fifita was a big loss, we certainly have supplied them plenty
Surely the only ones we’d want to keep that went to the Sharks would have been Fifita and Gibbs. The rest they were almost doing us a favour.
Fifita we should have kept. I understand it was a choice between Woods and Groat or Gibbs and Fifita. If somehow we could have kept FIfita and Woods we would have had a very different forward pack. I think Fifita could have looked to Todd and others, clearly his game was good and was going to improve.

Gibbs had great energy and heart, but far out that guy made mistakes. Every game it was "drop ball, knock on, oops". I think he sat mainly on the reserve bench of the Sharks. We could have let Groat go, but it's that young player transition to first grade and we did not know he wasn't going to shine.

Loosing Ryan and Chris H was so savage to the team. We saw the tigers go from the top 8 to the bottom 8 and it was pretty clear why. Heighington was solid, when he was replaced with Adam Blair we weren't used to an impact Prop playing for key moments. Beau Ryan was an awesome defender and seemed to be the backline glue that stopped tries and made a huge difference on the field. To me he was our Clint Gutherson.

We swapped Chris H and Ryan for Braith Anasta and Blair. I doubt there is a single Tigers fan, with hindsight who thinks this was a good idea. This hurt us far more then Loosing Fifita, our forwards were weak and our backline defense was hopeless.

On Topic. We should offer Holmes 400K if he wants to play Fullback, 550K if he wants to play wing!
Gibbs led our defensive line back in the day and did a good job of it. Sadly he had majorly worn knees when he went to the sharks and struggled to get on the field.

underdog

Post by underdog » Fri 04 May, 2018 11:07 am

Gibbs was a buffoon!

Had feet for hands and always good for a penalty or two. Had the temperament and IQ of a young BJ Leilua, and wouldn't survive the "No Punch NRL" We have today.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 04 May, 2018 11:40 am

Gibbs was quality around the ruck though. Lacked a bit of punch in attack but more than made up for it in defence.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

willow

Post by willow » Fri 04 May, 2018 12:27 pm

Just mentioned this rumour to my brother who is a mad Sharks supporter and he reckons Holmes is no chance of leaving. Having said that, it would be pretty funny now to see the look on his face if this rumour does turn out to be true.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 04 May, 2018 2:49 pm

formerguest wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 10:59 am
colmcd wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 10:18 am
851 wrote:

Gibbs led our defensive line back in the day and did a good job of it. Sadly he had majorly worn knees when he went to the sharks and struggled to get on the field.
Gibbs put the work in and probably was only second to Liam Fulton.

But man I agree with the Underdog, that guy was a Buffoon! Although his fight with Ben Hannant was hilarious. Gibbs "Hey Moron!". Ben "What do you have against me being a Mormon!". Gibbs "I said you're a Moron, you want to bring it!". Ben "I will die defending my faith!".

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Fri 04 May, 2018 4:39 pm

if we do get Holmes it may be a straight swap with Nofoaluma or Tui.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Fri 04 May, 2018 4:43 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 4:39 pm
if we do get Holmes it may be a straight swap with Nofoaluma or Tui.
Happy to swap either or both.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 04 May, 2018 4:58 pm

willow wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 12:27 pm
Just mentioned this rumour to my brother who is a mad Sharks supporter and he reckons Holmes is no chance of leaving. Having said that, it would be pretty funny now to see the look on his face if this rumour does turn out to be true.
:lol:

Did a similar thing last night during a dinner with the bad side of my family about Marty as they are massive Manly supporters.

:roll

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Fri 04 May, 2018 5:02 pm

willow wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 12:27 pm
Does he have inside information Willow ? I only ask because I often read comments from our colleagues on this forum that say something like "this will not happen" re a player transfer, and I'm left wondering if this statement is based on fact (ie they are in the know), or whether they like to state their own opinions as fact.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 04 May, 2018 5:09 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 11:40 am
Gibbs was quality around the ruck though. Lacked a bit of punch in attack but more than made up for it in defence.
Gibbs had some awesome defensive stats and his "stupid penalties" were more often than not very tactical and breather penalties... Many can't differentiate the person( I'm not a fan) and the player

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Fri 04 May, 2018 5:58 pm

colmcd wrote:
Fri 04 May, 2018 10:17 am
We should offer him 350k to play fullback or 550k to play wing and see what he says.

x2