If I was in charge I would.........

Tigerdon

Re: If I was in charge I would.........

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:59 am

For a team that has such a large territory you'd think there was a better option than playing out of Parramatta.
St George, Manly and Penrith are all in Sydney and would have to travel through or into a rival teams territory to play in a large Stadium. Which i'm guessing is why the play most of there home games at there local grounds.
For a Blockbuster game i'm happy to go to a large stadium. Obviously ANZ is going to be out of action for some time while it's being re made. We have played out of the SFS before and got large crowds there.

For the games that aren't going to attract a 20K plus crowd. Like on a cold Thursday night against an out of town team, Why not play these out of Campbelltown or Leichhardt?
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 24 May, 2018 4:48 pm

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/24/par ... ockbuster/

Eels and Tigers keen to open new stadium in Easter Monday blockbuster
Author Michael Chammas Chief Reporter Timestamp Thu 24 May 2018, 03:57 PM

The new Western Sydney Stadium is unlikely to be open for the first month of the 2019 NRL season as discussions begin about a potential Easter Monday launch between the Parramatta Eels and the Wests Tigers.

Construction of the $300 million 30,000-seat venue, which will have the steepest grandstands in the country, is set to be completed by April next year.

Easter Monday falls on April 22 in 2019, with discussions already underway about opening the venue with two western Sydney giants on a public holiday.

The Eels' original plan to play the first match against the St George Illawarra Dragons, like they did more than three decades ago when Parramatta Stadium was built, isn't dead in the water.

However, the club is working on an alternative option should the opening of the stadium fall around the same time as the traditional Eels-Tigers Easter Monday clash.

The NRL had hoped the stadium would be ready in February to launch the venue with a weekend Nines tournament, however attention has turned to a potential 2020 tournament in Western Sydney with Brisbane in the box seat for next year.

Easter Monday launch of new Parramatta Stadium?
It's understood the Wests Tigers, who have a long-term deal in place with ANZ Stadium, are also in discussions about transferring some matches from Sydney Olympic Park to Western Sydney Stadium next year.

They have a long-term deal in place to play at least four matches a year at ANZ Stadium, but given VenuesLive now operate both the Olympic Park venue and the new Parramatta stadium, terms of the deal could be up for negotiation.

The construction site of the Western Sydney Stadium.
The construction site of the Western Sydney Stadium.
©NRL Photos
The Tigers are yet to commit to their suburban grounds but it's expected they will continue to play at least three matches out of Campbelltown and Leichhardt, especially with murmurs gathering momentum that suburban grounds could receive a financial injection as part of the government's stadiums strategy.

South Sydney, Canterbury and St George Illawarra are also weighing up the possibility of using the new Western Sydney facility in some capacity.

It's likely the Rabbitohs and Bulldogs, who have met with the state government and opposition leader Luke Foley, will continue their current arrangement with ANZ Stadium next year.

However, they are waiting on the government to provide clarity in regards to constructing timing of the Olympic stadium before determining if or how many games they will play in Parramatta from 2020 while ANZ Stadium is being renovated.

The Sydney Roosters have knocked back an expression of interest to take some games to western Sydney and will play nine or 10 of their home matches at the Sydney Cricket Ground next year while Allianz Stadium is being knocked down and rebuilt.

The Panthers have shown no interest in playing matches out of Parramatta.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 24 May, 2018 4:54 pm

I thought I read Pascoe say the deal at ANZ can be waived after this year?

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 24 May, 2018 5:17 pm

this part was interesting....
"murmurs gathering momentum that suburban grounds could receive a financial injection as part of the government's stadiums strategy"

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 24 May, 2018 5:27 pm

If I was in charge I would do all I can to have Leichhardt Oval upgraded to 2019 standards. This ground is the soul of Wests Tigers and if upgraded could fit a much larger crowd in much better comfort. Go for it.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:03 pm

Newtown wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 5:27 pm
If I was in charge I would do all I can to have Leichhardt Oval upgraded to 2019 standards. This ground is the soul of Wests Tigers and if upgraded could fit a much larger crowd in much better comfort. Go for it.
It will never happen. Yes the place has charisma and atmosphere, but from a financial standpoint it makes zero sense to upgrade the place and logistically you'd be hard pressed increasing ground capacity there as it is. I'd be proposing to upgrade Campbelltown - there's space to redevelop that ground as it currently is.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:09 pm

You can’t improve perfection.
Leichhardt is currently the best football experience in Australia.

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:49 pm

My strategy would be not to listen to anyone on this Forum.

Who is Sean Meaney? Sounds like a plodder. Nobody knows a plodder better than a Wests supporter. Believe me.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:57 pm

Donald Trump wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:49 pm

Who is Sean Meaney? Sounds like a plodder. Nobody knows a plodder better than a Wests supporter. Believe me.
It's Nick Meaney.

Biography:2017 was a stellar year for the Reserve Grade fullback, who earned a spot in the NSW Residents squad and was selected in the number one jersey for the NSW Under 20s Origin side, which staged a win over Queensland.

In his first year with the Knights Reserve Grade squad, Nick showed a cool head under pressure and impressive technical skills.

After being named the Club’s NYC Player of the Year in 2016, a breakout year then earned the young fullback, the Knights 2017 Reserve Grade Player of the Year Award.

A young player with a bright future, he has good speed and reads the game well whilst having the ability to evade opposition tackles.

Nick will again be pushing to lock down the fullback role in the Club’s Reserve Grade squad for 2018 and will also be knocking on the door of the NRL to make his first-grade debut.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:57 pm

Donald Trump wrote:

Donald ...BREAKING NEWS..you are on this forum..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:15 pm

There is no better place to watch footy than on the hill at Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:16 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:57 pm
Donald Trump wrote:

:roll

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:40 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:16 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:57 pm
Donald Trump wrote:

:roll
Damn it
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:45 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:09 pm
Absolutely!! Everyone, including players, rave about the experience.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:54 pm

[media][/media]
willow wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:03 pm
Newtown wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 5:27 pm
It will never happen. Yes the place has charisma and atmosphere, but from a financial standpoint it makes zero sense to upgrade the place and logistically you'd be hard pressed increasing ground capacity there as it is. I'd be proposing to upgrade Campbelltown - there's space to redevelop that ground as it currently is.
Yeah turn LO into a block on units. Thats the Sydney way.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:00 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:09 pm
Anywhere is perfection if we win

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:06 pm

unfortunately the suburban grounds just cant compete- North Sydney Oval was also a fantastic place to spend an afternoon watching football. I loved Lidcombe Oval too.

For the future the NRL and State Govt has to sponsor 3 x grounds across Sydney to be shared by the clubs with each of the 3 having a few of the sydney based clubs homed there. Each ground with up to date facilities, crowd amenities for 30- 35,000 people, and transport interchanges.