The Queen

Post by The Queen » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:29 am

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 11:47 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 11:42 pm
joelw2002 wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 11:12 pm
If we are letting Kev go to St Helens, we have to get someone to make up for his loss. Possibly Ben Barba? Or maybe even Curtis Rona?
Ma'a Nonu
Imagine Fonua and Nonu :o
We signed Nonu once before under Sheens Royce signed him up at Auckland airport only for Rugby NZ to step in and offer him more so dont think it would work again

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:31 am

The Queen wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 10:29 am
Tweed Tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
joelw2002 wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 11:12 pm
If we are letting Kev go to St Helens, we have to get someone to make up for his loss. Possibly Ben Barba? Or maybe even Curtis Rona?
Ma'a Nonu
We signed Nonu once before under Sheens Royce signed him up at Auckland airport only for Rugby NZ to step in and offer him more so dont think it would work again
What happened with Takarangi still takes the cake though :oops:

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:37 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 10:31 am
The Queen wrote:
Tweed Tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Ma'a Nonu

Yes Brad at least we got to pay him out of our cap for three years so thoses tackles and trys he scored we can share them with the eel supporters

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:48 am

The Queen wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 10:37 am
happy tiger wrote:
The Queen wrote:
Tweed Tiger wrote:

Yes Brad at least we got to pay him out of our cap for three years so thoses tackles and trys he scored we can share them with the eel supporters
For any relatively new joiners to the forum like me, here is a link to what these forumers are talking about. For one I hadn't heard of our mess-up here, but am not surprised at it in hindsight.

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23367
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:51 am

TigerTiger wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 10:48 am
The Queen wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 10:37 am
happy tiger wrote:
The Queen wrote:

For any relatively new joiners to the forum like me, here is a link to what these forumers are talking about. For one I hadn't heard of our mess-up here, but am not surprised at it in hindsight.

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23367
Much ado about nothing

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 19 May, 2018 11:01 am

fergiefurr wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:30 am
Yossarian wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:24 am
joelw2002 wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:02 am
Tweed Tiger wrote:

Hell no, Isn't he 35 now?
It was a joke for forum veterans...
‘We thought we had him’ is probably the single most hilarious/saddest rugby league article ever written
Yeah it was pretty sad.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Sat 19 May, 2018 12:55 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 11:01 am
fergiefurr wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:30 am
Yossarian wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:24 am
joelw2002 wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:02 am

Hell no, Isn't he 35 now?
It was a joke for forum veterans...
‘We thought we had him’ is probably the single most hilarious/saddest rugby league article ever written
Yeah it was pretty sad.

Nonu and The Master of the witches hats in separate interviews have both talked about the signing of the contract

Its just a shame it did not come to fruition

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 19 May, 2018 4:24 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 9:38 am
The Patriot wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 9:20 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 8:37 am
The Patriot wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 7:12 am
Reading through a thread like this it becomes apparent that most people have given up on our club ever signing a high profile player.

I refuse to have that mentality, we are every chance with every good player off contract. This is Ivan Cleary not the last bloke.

Is this the same Ivan Cleary that has us currently with

We have had no 5/8
We have had no Fullback
We have had no Hooker

and as a direct result that is losing us games...?
Lol you have a poor read on this one Geo.

Im a fan of Ivan Cleary. but in saying that -

We have had no 5/8
We have had no Fullback
We have had no Hooker

It is starting to cost us games.

I have every faith Ivan will correct the situation.
Who put the squad together with no spine? Wasn’t the last coach. You seem happy to have it both ways. Praising Cleary, yet constantly saying the playing group is a failure. Whose responsible for that?
No not me, I have never said the playing group is a failure. Not even close.

And actually I can have it both ways. It's called being measured.

Ivan has done a great job assembling this squad. BUT now is the time to address these positions.

Which as I said to Geo I have evey faith he will start doing.
Its an opinion!

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:33 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 4:24 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 9:38 am
The Patriot wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 9:20 am
Geo. wrote:

We have had no 5/8
We have had no Fullback
We have had no Hooker

Lol you have a poor read on this one Geo.

Im a fan of Ivan Cleary. but in saying that -

We have had no 5/8
We have had no Fullback
We have had no Hooker

It is starting to cost us games.

I have every faith Ivan will correct the situation.
Who put the squad together with no spine? Wasn’t the last coach. You seem happy to have it both ways. Praising Cleary, yet constantly saying the playing group is a failure. Whose responsible for that?
No not me, I have never said the playing group is a failure. Not even close.

And actually I can have it both ways. It's called being measured.

Ivan has done a great job assembling this squad. BUT now is the time to address these positions.

Which as I said to Geo I have evey faith he will start doing.
In 12 months I think the club has done a great job in rectifying the salary cap and bringing in some good players and staff....us supporters just have to wait a bit longer frustrating as it is .
There is money to spend ...the right coach and support staff are in place and already had some success on and off the field.Hopefully in the not to distant future some additions to the playing roster will be announced...it is better to wait IMO for the right players than just signing short fill players , Cleary has the smarts and connections we just have to be patient as frustrating as it is !

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:37 pm

We have a decent coach, but the same garbage facilities. I will believe that we have truly turned the corner when our signings are not blokes with a long history with Cleary, or players that we have paid overs for.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sat 19 May, 2018 11:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
Reading through a thread like this it becomes apparent that most people have given up on our club ever signing a high profile player.

I refuse to have that mentality, we are every chance with every good player off contract. This is Ivan Cleary not the last bloke.

We have had no 5/8
We have had no Fullback
We have had no Hooker

See this is what I don’t get when people pick at our team. We’ve got a fair chunk of our squad in the 1, 6 and 9, the quality just isn’t there.

1. Lolohea, Thompson, throw in Naiqama
6. Reynolds, Marshall, Gamble
9. Liddle, McIlwrick, Godinet

Benji has regressed to the mean, Tui never really got going and Liddle is playing with paper shoulders.
Brooks’ form has been great, and Corey has exceeded expectations. If Grub was fit he’d be exactly what we need in the 6 at the moment. We’re not far removed from a good spine, but it’s the quality of the depth, not the lack of options that’s killing us.

the third

Post by the third » Sat 19 May, 2018 11:11 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 11:04 pm
Geo. wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

We have had no 5/8
We have had no Fullback
We have had no Hooker

See this is what I don’t get when people pick at our team. We’ve got a fair chunk of our squad in the 1, 6 and 9, the quality just isn’t there.

Benji has regressed to the mean, Tui never really got going and Liddle is playing with paper shoulders.
Brooks’ form has been great, and Corey has exceeded expectations. If Grub was fit he’d be exactly what we need in the 6 at the moment. We’re not far removed from a good spine, but it’s the quality of the depth, not the lack of options that’s killing us.
A couple of injuries to the above also didn’t help.

Still if you look at the losses, they all come from losing the ruck in the first instance. Errors come off the back of that. When we win the ruck, our spine looks pretty good. Need another prop in the rotation as Sue is a HIA risk and second rower to really compete week in week out

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sun 20 May, 2018 12:00 am

the third wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 11:11 pm
VanillaThunder wrote:

Still if you look at the losses, they all come from losing the ruck in the first instance. Errors come off the back of that. When we win the ruck, our spine looks pretty good. Need another prop in the rotation as Sue is a HIA risk and second rower to really compete week in week out
Agreed on the prop front, as nice as Eisenhuth and Twal are defensively, we just miss that extra impetus across the board.
As much as I hate Adam Blair, I’d swap him for Rochow in a heartbeat. We haven’t had line-speed for as long as I can remember, and we saw what Harawira-Naera and Katoa** did to Brooks all game on Thursday. Rowdy has had his moments this year but every game it seems like the opposition halves have all the time in the world, while poor Luke gets mobbed one off the ruck. Another reason to get Tui back in I guess, but our pack can go a long way towards addressing it themselves.
Last edited by VanillaThunder on Sun 20 May, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sun 20 May, 2018 7:26 am

VanillaThunder wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 12:00 am
the third wrote:
VanillaThunder wrote:

Agreed on the prop front, as nice as Eisenhuth and Twal are defensively, we just miss that extra impetus across the board.
As much as I hate Adam Blair, I’d swap him for Rochow in a heartbeat. We haven’t had line-speed for as long as I can remember, and we saw what Harawira-Naera and Karla did to Brooks all game on Thursday. Rowdy has had his moments this year but every game it seems like the opposition halves have all the time in the world, while poor Luke gets mobbed one off the ruck. Another reason to get Tui back in I guess, but our pack can go a long way towards addressing it themselves.
Brooks is getting mobbed because he's the only likely threat. Liddle hasn't had many minutes and Taylor is not a hooker plus there is no ball play at fullback.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 20 May, 2018 10:03 am

Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 7:26 am
VanillaThunder wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 12:00 am
the third wrote:
VanillaThunder wrote:

As much as I hate Adam Blair, I’d swap him for Rochow in a heartbeat. We haven’t had line-speed for as long as I can remember, and we saw what Harawira-Naera and Karla did to Brooks all game on Thursday. Rowdy has had his moments this year but every game it seems like the opposition halves have all the time in the world, while poor Luke gets mobbed one off the ruck. Another reason to get Tui back in I guess, but our pack can go a long way towards addressing it themselves.
Brooks is getting mobbed because he's the only likely threat. Liddle hasn't had many minutes and Taylor is not a hooker plus there is no ball play at fullback.
Well said "Red88 Tiger" - exactly on the money.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Sun 20 May, 2018 12:08 pm

The problem is that the BUS works both ways if you wait and hope that another club is so poorly run that you can get one of there main player on the cheap YOU CAN MISS THE BUS then what happens same squad but lots of money to spend its a fine line you need a good poker face ask Ivan if hes any good at poker

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 20 May, 2018 4:08 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:
Geo. wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

We have had no 5/8
We have had no Fullback
We have had no Hooker

You can’t have a discussion about the spine without including the 7. On my calcs our whole spine with depth signings is on the equivalent coin as Tedesco and Cronk. So we have by no means overspent on our spine and have plenty of $$$$ left to strengthen it if need be.