Official Moses Mbye signs till 2022..

swag tiger

Re: Report: Wests Tigers sign Moses Mbye from Bulldogs, announcement imminent

Post by swag tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 11:20 am

bp tiger wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 11:18 am
maybe we are looking at the MYBE signing in the wrong light, maybe IVAN is looking at bringing him over as a hooker, now would that not be a chance.
Points for originality.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 28 May, 2018 11:21 am

swag tiger wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 11:18 am
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 11:08 am
swag tiger wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 11:04 pm
willow wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 10:58 pm

Mbye fits the bill quite nicely. Not a superstar, but he is improving at fullback and he has a decent football brain, not to mention commonsense. The next step up from Mbye for me was RTS. Different player, but he is respected by his peers despite his young age.
Seens like you have been doing some research.
What are you swaggy, an online psych-profiling bot?
No I'm a 18 year old man who has TAFE to go to.
Lighten up champion.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 28 May, 2018 11:50 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:17 am
Balmainian wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:05 am
tigertye wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:59 pm
Is anyone a little nervous about this signing?

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s got a lot of potential and talent. He’s got plenty of speed, footwork and his time in the halves has benefited his passing and kicking game. He also seems to have a good attitude and head on his shoulders.

I just can’t get my around is he better then Tui or Thompson? All have similar traits to their game and are fairly similar players. All are also pretty untested at fullback.

Tui probably has a bit more x-factor than Thompson, but Thompson is ever improving and has been safe as a bank at fullback. Thompson just lacks that passing game in the backline that modern day fullbacks need.

Unless Tigers have picked Mbye up for about $500k per year then I really can’t really see the value or think he will make much difference then our current options. He might be a slightly better player than Tui and Thompson, but is Mbye going to be a real game breaker for us in comparison?
Can you describe what Tui's X factor is?
Im not being sarcastic mate i just struggle to see what his special attributes are.
I too would be interested to know.
Watch the extended highlights and note how often he features in our attack...

2:06: He's chasing through with Brooks on the Marshall kick
2:14 His quick hands under pressure put Fonua into space
3:39 He's supporting Lawrence on the inside following the linebreak
4:04 Throws the cut out ball to put Nofo into space
5:13 Sweeps and draws and passes to create a 2 on 1
6:34 Pushes up to be the only one supporting the Marsters line break
6:40 Continues to follow the play to present an offload option for Fonua
6:51 Kicks into space to set up the match winning try

He has good instincts and knows when something's on in attack and he's prepared to chance his hand a little and back his instincts. Even in a game where he didn't play great overall he came up with some critical involvements - that's his x-factor, he just makes things happen.

tonza

Post by tonza » Mon 28 May, 2018 11:54 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:47 am
Tweed Tiger wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:39 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:32 am
avocadoontoast wrote:

Sets up match winning trys, undefeated with him in the team this year.
He has the ability to win games but he makes me nervous defensively at fullback.

I think Tuis best position would be a utility if Benji hangs up the boots but unsure if he could play hooker. Could bring him on when Liddle goes off and move Reynolds to hooker and Tui to 5/8.
I'd say once Mbye is around and Benji is gone, he'll be the bench utility, Could be an option in the centres.
I dont think Ivan is looking at Mbye as a direct replacement for Tui at all. He can cover hooker, half, five eight, centre and fullback. A injury free Tui will surprise a lot of people.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:13 pm

Masterton wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:49 am
old man tiger wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:17 am
I didn't think he was impressive, not even solid, however his actions in the opposition 20 led to points. We were so dominant and didn't score, so what he brings to the team is the ability to put someone over the line.

Don't know if you saw the bunnies game on the weekend, one of their tries was from lovely hands in the backline with jennings finding the line in the corner. I thought to myself "why can't we break down passive defense like this?" The answer is we have been a ball player short, and we saw with Nofo's try that we can actually score a try from a backline movement, without the need for a miracle pass from benji or brooks.

Mbye has a similar skill set, and probably makes less bad decisions, so I'm not blindly defending Tui. Just trying to offer some perspective as to why I think we need him wearing the 1 for now. Thomson on the wing showed you still get the best out of him, so proud of this guy, but he doesn't have the passing game of a 2018 fullback imo.
Well said, OMT.
Yeah definitely well said. Just a point of interest though, you say that Thompson doesn’t have the passing game of a 2018 fullback but neither does Tedesco! Yet he is NSW fullback rated one of the best in the game. He is certainly no playmaker and I really don’t see why the fullback has to be. I know it gives teams another option but if the halves and hooker are good at what they do all we really need is a fullback with speed and good positional play, backing up when needed. And I think we already have that with Thompson.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:20 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:28 am
NT Tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:04 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:38 am

If you think he was impressive yesterday you have very low standards.
The thing is, i can acknowlwdge the deficincies in his game, like the howler where he dropped the ball before HT. You and his other critics can't say anything positive about him, even when he wins us games like in round 1. Instead, when he set up the match winning try and kicks the goal from the sideline, the response was "he missed one from in front earlier so it doesn't matter". Can only imagine the crap he'd have copped if hs missed the penalty shot Matsters did last night. Marsters doesn't even cop half the crap the Tui did when he kicked, and Marsters is twice as bad as a kicker that Tui is. I haven't seen a vandetta this bad on the forum since JT. People just hate him, and find it highly offensive when its suggested he recieve credit for anything.
See GNR, the problem is simple, Brooks and Lawrence are both playing really well so the experts have to find a new kicking boy.
So the criticism stopped when they started playing well? Funny that.
Or so the experts say.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:21 pm

formerguest wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:46 am
old man tiger wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:38 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:32 am

Sets up match winning trys, undefeated with him in the team this year.
If you think he was impressive yesterday you have very low standards.
I didn't think he was impressive, not even solid, however his actions in the opposition 20 led to points. We were so dominant and didn't score, so what he brings to the team is the ability to put someone over the line.

Don't know if you saw the bunnies game on the weekend, one of their tries was from lovely hands in the backline with jennings finding the line in the corner. I thought to myself "why can't we break down passive defense like this?" The answer is we have been a ball player short, and we saw with Nofo's try that we can actually score a try from a backline movement, without the need for a miracle pass from benji or brooks.

Mbye has a similar skill set, and probably makes less bad decisions, so I'm not blindly defending Tui. Just trying to offer some perspective as to why I think we need him wearing the 1 for now. Thomson on the wing showed you still get the best out of him, so proud of this guy, but he doesn't have the passing game of a 2018 fullback imo.
Agree, though overall I would give Tui a solid rating. And go further than just alleviation of the need for miracles from our halves, as he takes eyes not only off them, but the back rowers and centres each side of them. Basically, he changes the dynamic of the opposition defensive line, even if he doesn't touch the ball, something that, despite his energetic contribution, Thompson simply cannot provide. Thompson's finishing on the wing has always been sublime as well, so for mine the team balance just works better with both on the paddock.
I agree
"Quality Stupidity"

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:21 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 12:13 pm
Masterton wrote:
old man tiger wrote:

Well said, OMT.
Yeah definitely well said. Just a point of interest though, you say that Thompson doesn’t have the passing game of a 2018 fullback but neither does Tedesco! Yet he is NSW fullback rated one of the best in the game. He is certainly no playmaker and I really don’t see why the fullback has to be. I know it gives teams another option but if the halves and hooker are good at what they do all we really need is a fullback with speed and good positional play, backing up when needed. And I think we already have that with Thompson.
Spud I thought teddy developed a bit of a passing game but he shelved it last year to our detriment.

I think Dugan is a good example of a decent fullback who can't pass at all, so I still take your point

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:35 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
I agree entirely. You don't have to be a ball-player to be a good fullback, but I think it benefits our side.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:40 pm

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:42 pm

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 28 May, 2018 12:56 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 12:21 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Masterton wrote:
old man tiger wrote:

Well said, OMT.
Spud I thought teddy developed a bit of a passing game but he shelved it last year to our detriment.

I think Dugan is a good example of a decent fullback who can't pass at all, so I still take your point
And that is what brought Tedesco back to the field with us last year. generally running side to side or in circles and going nowhere instead of taking them on direct and occasionally setting up the outside men as he used to.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:06 pm

ricksen wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:56 am
Just on any announcements, I doubt we’ll see any today given the news cycle is full of origin selection content.
Yep... Maybe Wednesday my bet

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:14 pm

2 Photos , make your own mind up what was said
Corey to Moses , you won't have to put up with loosing for long , see if Woodsy want to come with you
Moses to Josh , can't wait to get out of this mess , Woods wants in as well

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:17 pm

I really like Tui, was excited when we bought him and really hope he can make it, but IMO he should not be fullback again this year and if Mbye is coming next year that solves that.

Last night when Morris strolled over for his try and Tui lazily coasted up next to him with no urgency and let him pinch another 10-15m closer tot he sticks, that told me all I needed to know about Tui at FB in comparison to Thompson.

Then of course the dropped catch (can happen to anyone but....) and general poor play. Even the try from his kick, would have been safer and easier to go through the hands.

Nice kid, lots of talent but there is something missing mentally IMO. In comparison Thompson shines but is too small and has no passing game. Last night in a rubbish team Mbye was everywhere, backing up looking for teh ball. He looked the best FB on the park.

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:31 pm

Stats would disagree here.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:42 pm

Nelson wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 11:50 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Balmainian wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:05 am
tigertye wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:59 pm
Is anyone a little nervous about this signing?

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s got a lot of potential and talent. He’s got plenty of speed, footwork and his time in the halves has benefited his passing and kicking game. He also seems to have a good attitude and head on his shoulders.

I just can’t get my around is he better then Tui or Thompson? All have similar traits to their game and are fairly similar players. All are also pretty untested at fullback.

Tui probably has a bit more x-factor than Thompson, but Thompson is ever improving and has been safe as a bank at fullback. Thompson just lacks that passing game in the backline that modern day fullbacks need.

Unless Tigers have picked Mbye up for about $500k per year then I really can’t really see the value or think he will make much difference then our current options. He might be a slightly better player than Tui and Thompson, but is Mbye going to be a real game breaker for us in comparison?
Can you describe what Tui's X factor is?
Im not being sarcastic mate i just struggle to see what his special attributes are.
Watch the extended highlights and note how often he features in our attack...

2:06: He's chasing through with Brooks on the Marshall kick
2:14 His quick hands under pressure put Fonua into space
3:39 He's supporting Lawrence on the inside following the linebreak
4:04 Throws the cut out ball to put Nofo into space
5:13 Sweeps and draws and passes to create a 2 on 1
6:34 Pushes up to be the only one supporting the Marsters line break
6:40 Continues to follow the play to present an offload option for Fonua
6:51 Kicks into space to set up the match winning try

He has good instincts and knows when something's on in attack and he's prepared to chance his hand a little and back his instincts. Even in a game where he didn't play great overall he came up with some critical involvements - that's his x-factor, he just makes things happen.
Ok.
I did see most of what you mentioned yesterday and im not arguing about anything you've said.
I dont mind Tui.......i dont know where he actually fits in to the team, But i kind of feel an X factor is something not many footballers have or can emulate.
I think of Benji when he broke onto the scene as a good example of X Factor, He did what not many could physically do or even try to do.
Im not comparing the two players but i just dont see supporting a ball runner or chasing a kick as X factor qualities, those things are compulsory for all players in my opinion.
I hope i start see what it is that you see in him, but i havent seen my expectation of X factor yet.
And yes he did have critical touches that i will agree with.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:52 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:43 am
Masterton wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:39 am
swag tiger wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:14 am
Masterton wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:09 am

Or still negotiating over when he joins us. A win today may tip the scale for a mid-season arrival.
The Bulldogs furom is still clinging to hope that he isn't going anywhere.
Yeah, I remember having those delusions about Woods & Teddy last year.
It has all come as news to his agent, Simon Mammino. “I certainly haven’t picked up my phone and spoken to anyone about Moses outside of Canterbury”.
This is what they are hinging there hope on.
Its all in the wording - he could be telling the truth - maybe negotiaitions have been face to face without any phone contact.