Official Moses Mbye signs till 2022..

Seantice

Re: Report: Wests Tigers sign Moses Mbye from Bulldogs, announcement imminent

Post by Seantice » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:45 am

There is a lot of upside to Mbye. The fact that he can pass, kick, has speed and goal kicks are all positives. He has things to learn no doubt but this is his first year at the back. I love Thompson but in the end he cant kick or pass. He stays on the wing and Mbye goes to fullback. Im not sold on Lolohea. Too lazy for my liking.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:05 am

tigertye wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:59 pm
Is anyone a little nervous about this signing?

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s got a lot of potential and talent. He’s got plenty of speed, footwork and his time in the halves has benefited his passing and kicking game. He also seems to have a good attitude and head on his shoulders.

I just can’t get my around is he better then Tui or Thompson? All have similar traits to their game and are fairly similar players. All are also pretty untested at fullback.

Tui probably has a bit more x-factor than Thompson, but Thompson is ever improving and has been safe as a bank at fullback. Thompson just lacks that passing game in the backline that modern day fullbacks need.

Unless Tigers have picked Mbye up for about $500k per year then I really can’t really see the value or think he will make much difference then our current options. He might be a slightly better player than Tui and Thompson, but is Mbye going to be a real game breaker for us in comparison?
Can you describe what Tui's X factor is?
Im not being sarcastic mate i just struggle to see what his special attributes are.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:05 am

At this point in his career a more expensive Tui imo, so hope if and when he gets here Ivan gets him earning his keep.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:17 am

Balmainian wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:05 am
tigertye wrote:

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s got a lot of potential and talent. He’s got plenty of speed, footwork and his time in the halves has benefited his passing and kicking game. He also seems to have a good attitude and head on his shoulders.

I just can’t get my around is he better then Tui or Thompson? All have similar traits to their game and are fairly similar players. All are also pretty untested at fullback.

Tui probably has a bit more x-factor than Thompson, but Thompson is ever improving and has been safe as a bank at fullback. Thompson just lacks that passing game in the backline that modern day fullbacks need.

Unless Tigers have picked Mbye up for about $500k per year then I really can’t really see the value or think he will make much difference then our current options. He might be a slightly better player than Tui and Thompson, but is Mbye going to be a real game breaker for us in comparison?
Im not being sarcastic mate i just struggle to see what his special attributes are.
I too would be interested to know.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:25 am

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Sat 26 May, 2018 12:44 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 26 May, 2018 12:33 am
Seems like this is happening, unlike the rubbish about Rona, Barba, Holmes etc that won’t die. Almost time to start discussing where we should play him.
I think his best positions in order are

Fullback
Hooker
Running 5/8.

His strengths are his speed and running game. He also can throw a quality long pass as half of his older highlights are long balls to Thompson and Rona.
Can we just add Rona to the team list now? If we the Premiereship this year, that guy deserves a ring! Man every pass we throw out now, well that was for Rona! Man Rona IS the Bus, we would be no where in the ARU if it wasn't for him.

You make a good point about Mbye though. His combination with Reynolds in the halves was crap. However when he combined with Thompson, with Hodkinson and Reynolds at the halves, it worked well.

I am not seeing a 800k player in Mbye though. I don't know if I am seeing a 400k player. When the guy is on fire, he can reach 800k but the Bulldogs are at the bottom of the table for a reason, and Mbye is one reason.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:32 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:17 am
Balmainian wrote:
tigertye wrote:

Sets up match winning trys, undefeated with him in the team this year.

Milky

Post by Milky » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:32 am

Hopefully he is announced today. So keen for this signing. Not only for what he brings ability wise but also depth.

In saying that, the combination he will build with Brooksy is going to be great.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:37 am

If there is an announcement today of an immediate move across, will he be picked for this weekend in 1st grade??

Do you change a winning team?

Unlike many I like Tui. Don’t get me wrong - I think Mbye is a better fullback and I think Thompson is at his best in the wing. So what happens to Tui? ISP? Utility? I’d like him to play centre but I reckon I’m probably in the minority here
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:38 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:32 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Balmainian wrote:
tigertye wrote:

If you think he was impressive yesterday you have very low standards.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:39 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Balmainian wrote:
tigertye wrote:

He has the ability to win games but he makes me nervous defensively at fullback.

I think Tuis best position would be a utility if Benji hangs up the boots but unsure if he could play hooker. Could bring him on when Liddle goes off and move Reynolds to hooker and Tui to 5/8.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:42 am

the undefeated with Lolohea in the team is funny..

Keep picking him Ivan I'm sure we will go the rest of the season undefeated..

Unless circumstances have changed Mbye is for 2019..so lucky we have Lolohea..the lucky charm..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:44 am

There is a lot of upside to Mbye. The fact that he can pass, kick, has speed and goal kicks are all positives. He is only 24 years old.

Hope he is a 30 June 2018 signing.

It makes sense for Canterbury to let him go now to fix up their salary cap mess.

I would still like Brett Morris at the right price. Still has much to offer.

Imagine our backline for 2019

Mbye
Brett Morris/ Fonua
Brian Kelly/ Curtis Rona (if this long drawn out rumour is true or not.)
Marsters
Thompson.

That back line gives us much need pace and a better goal kicker.

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:44 am

Gosh I miss teddy

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:46 am

Soon we will be a team of expensive utilities. Maybe Ivan sees the game heading in a new direction

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:57 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:42 am
the undefeated with Lolohea in the team is funny..

Keep picking him Ivan I'm sure we will go the rest of the season undefeated..

Unless circumstances have changed Mbye is for 2019..so lucky we have Lolohea..the lucky charm..
You are right i remember the days when we had Moltzen at the club and he had the same sort of record(early days) as Tui and some supporters insisted that he should always be in the side.I think Tui is a much better footballer but nobody should be a certainty to be picked especially basing it on "their" winning percentage when playing.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 28 May, 2018 10:04 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:38 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Balmainian wrote:

The thing is, i can acknowlwdge the deficincies in his game, like the howler where he dropped the ball before HT. You and his other critics can't say anything positive about him, even when he wins us games like in round 1. Instead, when he set up the match winning try and kicks the goal from the sideline, the response was "he missed one from in front earlier so it doesn't matter". Can only imagine the crap he'd have copped if hs missed the penalty shot Matsters did last night. Marsters doesn't even cop half the crap the Tui did when he kicked, and Marsters is twice as bad as a kicker that Tui is. I haven't seen a vandetta this bad on the forum since JT. People just hate him, and find it highly offensive when its suggested he recieve credit for anything.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 10:17 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Balmainian wrote:

I didn't think he was impressive, not even solid, however his actions in the opposition 20 led to points. We were so dominant and didn't score, so what he brings to the team is the ability to put someone over the line.

Don't know if you saw the bunnies game on the weekend, one of their tries was from lovely hands in the backline with jennings finding the line in the corner. I thought to myself "why can't we break down passive defense like this?" The answer is we have been a ball player short, and we saw with Nofo's try that we can actually score a try from a backline movement, without the need for a miracle pass from benji or brooks.

Mbye has a similar skill set, and probably makes less bad decisions, so I'm not blindly defending Tui. Just trying to offer some perspective as to why I think we need him wearing the 1 for now. Thomson on the wing showed you still get the best out of him, so proud of this guy, but he doesn't have the passing game of a 2018 fullback imo.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 10:17 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 10:04 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

The thing is, i can acknowlwdge the deficincies in his game, like the howler where he dropped the ball before HT. You and his other critics can't say anything positive about him, even when he wins us games like in round 1. Instead, when he set up the match winning try and kicks the goal from the sideline, the response was "he missed one from in front earlier so it doesn't matter". Can only imagine the crap he'd have copped if hs missed the penalty shot Matsters did last night. Marsters doesn't even cop half the crap the Tui did when he kicked, and Marsters is twice as bad as a kicker that Tui is. I haven't seen a vandetta this bad on the forum since JT. People just hate him, and find it highly offensive when its suggested he recieve credit for anything.
See GNR, the problem is simple, Brooks and Lawrence are both playing really well so the experts have to find a new kicking boy.
"Quality Stupidity"