Wests Tigers sign Robbie Farah for 2018 Official

What are your thoughts on signing Robbie Farah back?

Yeah, that would be great.
59%
Hell no.
41%

Total votes: 292

willow

Re: Wests Tigers sign Robbie Farah for 2018 Official

Post by willow » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 7:59 am

'Come home': The inside story of Robbie Farah's return to Tigerland
By Andrew Webster
21 June 2018 — 8:03pm

The text messages from Benji Marshall started lighting up Robbie Farah’s mobile phone on a Saturday morning three weeks ago.

Farah had played a leading hand in Souths’ 22-12 win over the Sharks the night before while filling in for first-choice hooker Damien Cook.

“Come home,” Marshall texted. “Would you come back to the Tigers?”

“In a heartbeat,” Farah replied.

On Thursday morning, Marshall drove to Farah's house and together they headed to Campbelltown Stadium for training, back together for the club they won a premiership with in 2005 before each walking out, two favourite sons bitterly unhappy with how they had been treated.

Marshall left in 2013 and re-joined them this season via the Auckland Blues, Dragons and Broncos. Farah left in 2016 via the Leichhardt Oval scoreboard, Souths and their feeder club, North Sydney.

Rugby league’s a funny old game? Yeah, a riot.

“It was like my first day at school,” Farah said about his first day back at his old joint, adding: “This is where my heart is.”

Farah’s homecoming for the remainder of this season might divide opinion among some fans but it’s going to right a lot of wrongs.

Tigers management decided to back former coach Jason Taylor ahead of their captain and life member. Farah was branded selfish and greedy when all he was doing was asking for the money owed to him. It wasn't his choice to sign a back-ended contract.

But he was squeezed out, culminating in a teary lap of honour at Leichhardt before he climbed onto the scoreboard and raised a cold can to himself.

Then, the following season, just a handful of games in, the same people who manouevred Farah out decided to sack Taylor. It was madness.

Farah might not have envisioned himself again wearing black and gold after that but others did.

Assistant coach Craig Sandercock was regularly in his ear, telling Farah to never give up on a return. Farah’s feisty manager, Sam Ayoub, also never let go of the romantic notion of Farah's return but casual discussions with coach Ivan Cleary never really went any further than being casual discussions.

In recent weeks, though, it’s been clear that the Tigers need an experienced — and durable — No.9. Jacob Liddle is coming back from shoulder reconstructions and isn’t quite ready physically.

That’s why Marshall decided to drop Farah a couple of pointy texts that Saturday morning after the Sharks game.

When the pair spoke later that day, Marshall couldn’t have been any clearer: “Do what I did: speak to Ivan. Come home”.

Some fans are wary about the Farah signing, making comparisons to Jarryd Hayne’s botched return to Parramatta.

The criticism is harsh: ask anyone at Souths and they will tell you how hard it was to see Farah go, so respectful has he been to all concerned. His advice to Cook has been invaluable. He never whinged nor complained about playing reserve grade.

Souths released Farah because, as Souths footy boss Shane Richardson says, “it was the right thing to do” even if they are risking Cook getting through the rest of this season without injury.

Cleary has told Farah he’s got enough room in the salary cap only for this year. Farah doesn’t seem overly keen to play beyond that, although he's keeping the door slightly ajar if his form betrays his 34-year-old body.

In the meantime, there’s his return match against the Titans (at Leichhardt) and then his 250th match (against Souths) and beyond that a possible finals appearance alongside Marshall.

“Our careers went down separate paths,” Farah said. “We grew up playing together, started out here together, so to finish together would be poetic.”

Funny old game, rugby league. A riot.

Clawdan

Post by Clawdan » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 8:23 am

AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 6:37 pm
https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... interview/

Interview is up with Robbie
Just watched this interview and was really impressed by his attitude and genuine love of the club. I like how he says "we & us" when talking about previous games this year, like it was still his club even when he wasnt playing here. Good or bad his passion for the tigers is why i love supporting this club, its pretty rare these days.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:03 am

For me Robbie has always been a tiger from his head to his toes.Certainly he has made mistakes on the way. He deserves to go out playing for the club.
I doubt Robbie will walk of the field joking and laughing if we lose as many players do these days.I am not sure if it will be enough to turn our season around and if he dosent overplay his hand(my main criticism of him) and plays for the team i can ask no more
Last edited by jadtiger on Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 851 » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:06 am

Robbie is right, Leichhardt will be packed, sunday arvo, Farah back, Mbye debut and a must win game. The stars have aligned for a huge crowd.
Go hard or go home

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:08 am

Souths released Farah because, as Souths footy boss Shane Richardson says, “it was the right thing to do”
Puke

cochise

Post by cochise » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:08 am

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 6:51 am
Love the WestsTigers wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 8:49 pm
tigerap wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 8:43 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:02 am
Lets hope the incompetents in charge at the NRL decide the "fairytale" of the return of Benji/Robbie with the resurgance of WT is what they would like to see in 2018.I am not holding my breath but it would be good to see us getting 50/50 calls instead of us being on the wrong end of blatant cheating from the officials like we are
Here here.....but not holding my breathe

Our demise against Raiders started with a wrong call "penalty"for ball strip when it was loose carry.
That play saw Lawrence get injured and it was all downhill from that point onwards

Goes to show how the officials can really cost teams games

Then there was that penalty Klien gave to Brisbane in extra time .. we know how that ended
Then against the Roosters for the same thing We DIDNT get a penalty which would have leveled the game

Refs are humans, they will makes mistakes, as long as they are not biased.. which we all know they are

I was sick of hearing refs saying "Robbie Robbie Robbie" when he played for us, no surprises if it happens again
This post reminds me of the time we played the Dragons at Kograh and got towelled up by 50, looking useless most of the time. (Pretty sure it was 2004)

Sheens comes out post game stating that we would have performed better if we were awarded a try in the first 5 minutes when Jason Moodie had his hand on the dead poor line.

That day Sheens even stated “this might sound stupid but”
Please Please Please do not remind me of that game, if it's the same game it rained all day, I was sitting on the hill and was alive in the double so couldn't leave. Jason Moodie was the second leg of my doubles so was sitting there hoping he would score.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:09 am

Good to see Souths do the right thing and release him.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:04 am

willow wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 7:59 am
'Come home': The inside story of Robbie Farah's return to Tigerland
By Andrew Webster
21 June 2018 — 8:03pm

ask anyone at Souths and they will tell you how hard it was to see Farah go, so respectful has he been to all concerned. His advice to Cook has been invaluable. He never whinged nor complained about playing reserve grade.

Doesn't quite fit the narrative does it.

Funny how respect works both ways.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:26 am

They really appreciated his last game when many of their champs were poop players but Farah (with a few others) held the fort to get the 2 points. There are still many nice things being said about him on the Warren. I am awaiting Geo's approval to change my signature line to a quote from the Bunny's site.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:43 am

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:08 am
Souths released Farah because, as Souths footy boss Shane Richardson says, “it was the right thing to do”
Puke
Ah you are a cynic. Souths didn't have to release the bloke, many people were saying they shouldn't release him, but they did. Do you reckon Roosters or Broncos would have released Farah?

This move only goes to help the Tigers' season, not Souths', so it is a magnanimous move. We released Drinkwater for similar reasons, but at least that was to ESL and not a rival NRL club.

Just imagine, unlikely as might be, that Farah orchestrates some classic Tigers wins over Souths in the 2 games we still have to play with them, and it costs Souths a Top 4. Or if we jag a Top 8 spot and come up against Souths in the finals.

Post by 851 » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 11:46 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:43 am
innsaneink wrote:
Puke
Ah you are a cynic. Souths didn't have to release the bloke, many people were saying they shouldn't release him, but they did. Do you reckon Roosters or Broncos would have released Farah?

This move only goes to help the Tigers' season, not Souths', so it is a magnanimous move. We released Drinkwater for similar reasons, but at least that was to ESL and not a rival NRL club.

Just imagine, unlikely as might be, that Farah orchestrates some classic Tigers wins over Souths in the 2 games we still have to play with them, and it costs Souths a Top 4. Or if we jag a Top 8 spot and come up against Souths in the finals.
How good would that be, would probably also mean we are in good enough form to get ourselves in the 8
Go hard or go home

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:42 pm

jirskyr wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Puke

So I guess everyone here swooning and gushing over Farahs return should be grateful and thankful to souths?
I therefore don't expect to hear a negative thing about them from here on in.
We are in their debt

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 2:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:42 pm
jirskyr wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Puke

So I guess everyone here swooning and gushing over Farahs return should be grateful and thankful to souths?
We are in their debt
I'm not swooning or gushing; certainly we are not in their debt either - they made a commitment to the footballer, not Wests Tigers.

But I do tip my hat. Like I said, Roosters or Broncos would not do something like this. A lot of Tigers fans don't like Souths but personally I see a lot of similarities between our clubs, also with us and Newcastle; same kinds of supporters, same lack of general success compared to past heydays.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 2:20 pm

If Laurie Nichols was big enough to personally go and protest with Piggins to help keep them independent then it should be good enough for you and Russell to realise that we are both struggling working class foundation clubs that should respect each other. I am sure that they appreciated Nichols just as we should appreciate their gesture even though they will get some coin back. If they did not take Farah he may not now be available for us to re-engage in drastic circumstances.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

guyofthetiger

Post by guyofthetiger » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 3:18 pm

Ah well, for better or for worse we have a no.9 for the first time since he left.
Crush, kill and destroy!
Said that golden Android!
Pineapples from the Dawn of Time

Post by 851 » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 4:00 pm

guyofthetiger wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 3:18 pm
Ah well, for better or for worse we have a no.9 for the first time since he left.
That is basically it in a nutshell
Go hard or go home

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 4:22 pm

innsaneink wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Puke

We are in their debt
Might be balanced out by the 600k we paid for Robbie to play for them last year

Post by 851 » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 5:02 pm

Harvey wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 4:22 pm
innsaneink wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

Puke

We are in their debt
Might be balanced out by the 600k we paid for Robbie to play for them last year
It was over $700k, thanks JT, not
Go hard or go home