Tim Simona

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 8008
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Tim Simona

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:05 pm

i was overseas when this simona thing happened

anyone have the exact facts of what he was charged with?
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble


Donald Trump
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue 15 Nov, 2016 5:28 pm

Post by Donald Trump » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:24 pm

No. The guy is scum. Should be banned from the NRL for life in any capacity.

As for comparisons with Packer, he too is a grub of a human. I wanted him deported which was very close to happening. And the way that he has been playing, I wish he had been!

If the NRL wants to do itself a favour it will be by not condoning these types of people and banning them forever.

Second chances? Yes I’m for them but within reason and both of these guys don’t get my sympathy.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

User avatar
TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Post by TigerTiger » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:11 am

One thing people probably should consider when they talk about second chances, people don't always deserve them. If the person hasn't shown remorse for what they did, if they aren't sorry and if given a chance they would do it again, then imo they don't deserve a second chance (at the moment).

I can't read minds, so I don't know if Tim Simona is remorseful or not. But he should continue doing charity work that is not affiliated with any club if he is genuine, to prove it's not about weaselling his way back into football. The way Brisbane got Lodge back in was pathetic, and this seems to be Gus just doing the same. Getting affiliated with Penrith just suggests he is doing it for appearances, and if so he does not deserve a second chance... yet.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

User avatar
TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Post by TigerTiger » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:15 am

tig_prmz wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:05 pm
i was overseas when this simona thing happened

anyone have the exact facts of what he was charged with?
I can't say exactly, but he was betting on the player that he was marking to be the first try scorer in the game (amongst other betting on games he played in but always against his team). And it was stupidly low amounts of money, not even a hundred bucks, when his salary was much higher. Clearly a gambling problem.

He (and his girlfriend I thought) were auctioning off signed jerseys for charity and keeping the cash for themselves,

I don't remember where the drugs came into it. But I think he and the girlfriend had a falling out, and that's when stuff starting to hit the media.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5628
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:26 am

Meh.
We need a centre and Tims a good one. Best ring the board while they've still got amnesia Timo.


snowleopard
Member
Member
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu 08 Sep, 2011 6:41 pm
Location: Syney NZ Manila

Post by snowleopard » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:30 am

gallagher wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:26 am
Meh.
We need a centre and Tims a good one. Best ring the board while they've still got amnesia Timo.
Made me laugh but seems very true although Benji and Robbie’s crones were against there employer not society

voice of reason
Member
Member
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm

Post by voice of reason » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 8:07 am

My opinion on this.

First, and most importantly, the games he played were reviewed and it was determined he made NO attempt to 'throw' a game. Let's just get that solidly in our minds. He did NOT 'dog' his teammates.

By comparison consider Lillee/Marsh in 1981 where they bet against Australia in a test they were playing. The Poms miraculously won and their payout was the current day equivalent of $25,000 pounds. For this they received no sanction at all - none.

As for the jerseys, this is the result of a man feeding a gambling habit. Yes, it's morally bankrupt but we're talking a few hundred dollars. Pay the money to the charities, do some community service with them and I'd be satisfied.

As for the coke use, he gets whatever the drug penalties are. I don't know what the league has for recreational drugs but professional sport is normally 2 years for performance enhancing and I'd think he's close to serving that already.

My feeling is he should be let back. At his age I did stupid things too and I'm sure his relationship crumbling wasn't helping either.

I believe the punishment should fit the crime and I don't believe his 'crimes' warranted a total destruction of his career.
Suffering supporter since 1967

TrueTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5504
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 8:44 am

There are plenty of everyday people who have done virtually the same things that Tim has done, in particular not giving charities money owed to them and the use of drugs..
These people get caught and have to under go societies rehab programs and after proving they have been rehabilitated go back in the workforce and get on with their lives,many more have also have avoided paying taxes and embezzeled monies..


If Tim was not in the public eye by being a top NRL star,would we all be calling for him to be banned or do we give him the opportunity that society gives the every day person who we don't even know to redeem themselves...


It seems just personal opinion whether or not many agree or not...I would let him do some more community work and if he does well then give him a chance at playing the game he loves...after all he hasn't murdered,raped or bashed anyone ….


This is just my opinion.....we are all Gods creatures....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 11:15 am

People who are comparing Simona to Packer, Av'au etc are missing the point. What Packer, Lodge et al did is much worse obviously BUT what Simona did actually impacts the very nature and integrity of the sport and therefore for mine he must be banned for life from all RL despite the fact that Packer etc are all back.

voice of reason
Member
Member
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm

Post by voice of reason » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:31 pm

Glennb wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 11:15 am
People who are comparing Simona to Packer, Av'au etc are missing the point. What Packer, Lodge et al did is much worse obviously BUT what Simona did actually impacts the very nature and integrity of the sport and therefore for mine he must be banned for life from all RL despite the fact that Packer etc are all back.
I disagree - it impacts the integrity of a young man who made a silly mistake. He gained nothing and lost everything. Those two things don't reconcile to what he did.

What Lillee and Marsh did was way worse - they made a significant financial gain and when they placed the bets Australia only needed 3 wickets to win - Australia lost and Lille/Marsh walked away with a motza. Even Steve Smith et all only received a year for deliberate and pre-meditated cheating. That is far more damning.

We're willing to have wife beaters, assaulters, drink drivers, drug users and perpetrators of sexual assault in our game but placing a two bob bet gets you banned for life.

I'm not defending what he did, but I believe he deserves a second chance. Isn't this exactly what the NRL try to achieve with rehabilitating people through sport?
Suffering supporter since 1967

tsjonathan
Member
Member
Posts: 1960
Joined: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm

Post by tsjonathan » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:39 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:31 pm
Glennb wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 11:15 am
People who are comparing Simona to Packer, Av'au etc are missing the point. What Packer, Lodge et al did is much worse obviously BUT what Simona did actually impacts the very nature and integrity of the sport and therefore for mine he must be banned for life from all RL despite the fact that Packer etc are all back.

We're willing to have wife beaters, assaulters, drink drivers, drug users and perpetrators of sexual assault in our game but placing a two bob bet gets you banned for life.


I'm not defending what he did, but I believe he deserves a second chance. Isn't this exactly what the NRL try to achieve with rehabilitating people through sport?
Agreed

TonyTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by TonyTiger » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:53 pm

Good luck to him, was a gun centre when playing for us.

Silentio
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon 01 Jun, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Silentio » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 3:49 pm

The crazy thing is, it seems like Simona didn't personally gain much.

He may have jeopardized the integrity of the game to some small degree, but he mostly hurt himself. It wasn't like he was part of some cricket-esque sub continent betting cartel.

His decisions were no doubt, very, very dumb but it shows the desperate lengths that humans will go to when sucked into the black hole of addiction.

The sport as a whole has some responsibility to support fellas like Simona.

Playing professional footy is not like working as a sparky. The pressure exerted on players is immense, so it shouldn't be surprising when blokes go off the rails from time to time. This is why clubs have started taking player welfare more seriously.

If Simona has control of his demons, has learned, is qualified and wants to help others, he'd probably be a good welfare officer.

But putting him back into the pressure cooker of NRL footy would be irresponsible.

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3756
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:04 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:15 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:05 pm
i was overseas when this simona thing happened

anyone have the exact facts of what he was charged with?
I can't say exactly, but he was betting on the player that he was marking to be the first try scorer in the game (amongst other betting on games he played in but always against his team). And it was stupidly low amounts of money, not even a hundred bucks, when his salary was much higher. Clearly a gambling problem.

He (and his girlfriend I thought) were auctioning off signed jerseys for charity and keeping the cash for themselves,

I don't remember where the drugs came into it. But I think he and the girlfriend had a falling out, and that's when stuff starting to hit the media.
Not sure that is correct. He was placing loads of small bets on NRL. Tigers games amongst others including first try scorers where he was backing himself, teammates and opposition players including those he was marking.
Signs of a chronic gambling problem

Red88 Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:28 am

Gus tried to sign lodge so I expect the writing is on the wall. Also peachy is leaving

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8292
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:44 am

Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:28 am
Gus tried to sign lodge so I expect the writing is on the wall. Also peachy is leaving
What writing?
Defo one of the clubs on the rise.
Just loses players like every other club.
Has one of the greatest junior systems ever... Place has put its self in a very nice position for the future.
Wallace retires and probably fall straight into a coaching role.
Could be a lot worse (Parramatta)
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Red88 Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:47 am

Demps wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:44 am
Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:28 am
Gus tried to sign lodge so I expect the writing is on the wall. Also peachy is leaving
What writing?
Defo one of the clubs on the rise.
Just loses players like every other club.
Has one of the greatest junior systems ever... Place has put its self in a very nice position for the future.
Wallace retires and probably fall straight into a coaching role.
Could be a lot worse (Parramatta)
As in Simona will be on penrith roster

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:51 am

Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:47 am
Demps wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:44 am
Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:28 am
Gus tried to sign lodge so I expect the writing is on the wall. Also peachy is leaving
What writing?
Defo one of the clubs on the rise.
Just loses players like every other club.
Has one of the greatest junior systems ever... Place has put its self in a very nice position for the future.
Wallace retires and probably fall straight into a coaching role.
Could be a lot worse (Parramatta)
As in Simona will be on penrith roster
Highly doubt it.

Post Reply