magpiecol wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:35 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:23 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:15 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 10:58 pm

So why sign him for 2 and a half years? A reserve grader from a bottom 8 team?
Why buy a bloke as a stop gap solution for half a year? Then do the same again this year?
Its poor recruiting IMO.
Who was available to replace Mitchell Moses at short notice in 2017? You don't get mid-year transfer for guys like Gareth Widdop unless their team is under cap pressure. 2.5 years because that's probably what Tui negotiated to agree to move. Would he have moved to us for a 6 month deal?

Moses Mbye is nothing alike, he was an opportune signing from a club in salary-cap pressure, and one of their higher-profile and higher-paid footballers, of which existing club are carrying a significant amount of the freight. Everyone knew the Dogs were in salary cap trouble this year, everyone said to wait and pick the eyes out of that side, and Moses Mbye is the result, the same result that netted Graham to Dragons, Reynolds last year and Woods to Sharks.

Mbye I don't see as a stop-gap, he's a proven first-grader. He is fringe QLD origin selection.

If you preferred we played 2017 out for 14-odd rounds with a halves pairing of Brooks and Littlejohn, so be it, can't convince you.
I was referring to Farah, not Mbye.
I think Lolohea was signed as our long term fullback, but then played at 5/8 in '17.
I didn't see the point in that.
Our season was over when slimey fart left so I didn't see the point in a stop gap. Get someone you see as Long term prospect or go with who you got.
It's terrible recruiting.
In your opinion.

I thought that Tui would be a good signing. No one really knows what happened to him:- injuries for sure, trouble at home, home sickness, who knows.

He has heaps of talent for sure, however, it didn't work out for him or the team. Everyone will move on and the sun will rise in the morning.
So in other words 'there's always next year'.
Marvelous.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 5:47 am

gallagher wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:38 pm
magpiecol wrote:
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:15 pm

Who was available to replace Mitchell Moses at short notice in 2017? You don't get mid-year transfer for guys like Gareth Widdop unless their team is under cap pressure. 2.5 years because that's probably what Tui negotiated to agree to move. Would he have moved to us for a 6 month deal?

Moses Mbye is nothing alike, he was an opportune signing from a club in salary-cap pressure, and one of their higher-profile and higher-paid footballers, of which existing club are carrying a significant amount of the freight. Everyone knew the Dogs were in salary cap trouble this year, everyone said to wait and pick the eyes out of that side, and Moses Mbye is the result, the same result that netted Graham to Dragons, Reynolds last year and Woods to Sharks.

Mbye I don't see as a stop-gap, he's a proven first-grader. He is fringe QLD origin selection.

If you preferred we played 2017 out for 14-odd rounds with a halves pairing of Brooks and Littlejohn, so be it, can't convince you.
I think Lolohea was signed as our long term fullback, but then played at 5/8 in '17.
Our season was over when slimey fart left so I didn't see the point in a stop gap. Get someone you see as Long term prospect or go with who you got.
In your opinion.

I thought that Tui would be a good signing. No one really knows what happened to him:- injuries for sure, trouble at home, home sickness, who knows.

He has heaps of talent for sure, however, it didn't work out for him or the team. Everyone will move on and the sun will rise in the morning.
Marvelous.
So the other options may have been to sign experienced fullbacks in Josh Dugan or Jarryd Hayne. We approached Dylan Edwards and were told not an option, and then there were no other fullbacks or players capable of player fullback on the market.
I ask you since it was terrible recruiting, if you could have done a better job who would you have approached and managed to convince to come play fullback as the replacement for James Tedesco?
As harsh as it is, I like Ivan recruitment philosophy, Players you develop, Players you keep, players you recruit to fill a temporary hole.
Now you couldn’t tell me that Tim Grant and Elijah Taylor wernt recruited by JT for exactly the same purpose.
With TG, we just lost Big Keith and needed some experience to help out woods.
With ET we just lost Taupau and started the season trailing the walking HIA at lock who couldn’t handle the work rate required for lock.
And don’t stop there. Don’t just run your eye over your own backyard.
I’m sure if you look deep enough you’ll find these situations occur in most teams.
Do you remember one of the form Centres in Beau Champion going to the Storm?
What about Ben Barba’s stint at Brisbane? How did that work out?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 9:27 am

Needaname wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 5:47 am
gallagher wrote:
magpiecol wrote:
gallagher wrote:

In your opinion.

Marvelous.
So the other options may have been to sign experienced fullbacks in Josh Dugan or Jarryd Hayne. We approached Dylan Edwards and were told not an option, and then there were no other fullbacks or players capable of player fullback on the market.
I ask you since it was terrible recruiting, if you could have done a better job who would you have approached and managed to convince to come play fullback as the replacement for James Tedesco?
As harsh as it is, I like Ivan recruitment philosophy, Players you develop, Players you keep, players you recruit to fill a temporary hole.
Now you couldn’t tell me that Tim Grant and Elijah Taylor wernt recruited by JT for exactly the same purpose.
With ET we just lost Taupau and started the season trailing the walking HIA at lock who couldn’t handle the work rate required for lock.
I’m sure if you look deep enough you’ll find these situations occur in most teams.
So if he was bought as a full back to replace Tedesco why play him at 5/8? Why not put him straight in there? Our finals hopes were already gone. Move Teddy to the centers. How many games did he even play at fullback?
Did we buy Grant to replace Keefy and then play him on the wing?
I see no sense in our strategy except that finishing 14th is better than finishing last.
A 9 game contract for Farah. Ridiculous.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:12 am

On that I agree with you.
Teddy was not firing at the time and could have been moved to wing or even 5/8 himself.
Especially there were circumstances last year where when we had both Lolohea and Teddy but with Teddy injured Kev was moved to fullback.
I think our development for Lolohea should have starting from the moment he was signed.
It did appear Ivan was never confident in Tui owning the 1 jersey.
Who knows what happens behind the scenes.
For me, the fault lies with Tui. Why agree to a contract to play fullback when you clearly want to play five eight?
He had the offer from the cowboys to do just that, but chose us instead.
Did he honestly think he would convince Ivan that he is the number one choice at five eight for 2018?
What’s clear is that our stop gap for fullback didn’t work this year.
And although we’ve purchased another utility to play there I genuinely believe he will not only relish in the role but that he wants to succeed there also.
In the end we managed a decent upgrade without to much fuss.
Farah should never have left.
But the way he was, he was never going to want to take a back seat until his body couldn’t do it anymore.
Souths humbled him and we would never have seen the Farah in the second coming if he never left.
Things happen for a reason, I’m a firm believer of that.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:06 am

Depending who we sign in the next 5-6 months I'd keep Rochow

I think if we needed him for say 5-8 games from ISP Cup he would be very useful

He is highly rated by Matt Elliott , he said he could see him as an NRL coach in the future after interviewing him on ABC Grandstand

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:27 am

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:06 am

He is highly rated by Matt Elliott , he said he could see him as an NRL coach in the future after interviewing him on ABC Grandstand
We discussing Rochow in the other thread genius. This is the Tui Flopolea thread.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:31 am

Demps wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:27 am
happy tiger wrote:

We discussing Rochow in the other thread genius. This is the Tui Flopolea thread.
Discussion has turned to our retention and recruitment Demps which involves all players , about 30 different players have been discussed , ours players and others

Put your glasses on bro

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:50 am

gallagher wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 9:27 am
So if he was bought as a full back to replace Tedesco why play him at 5/8? Why not put him straight in there? Our finals hopes were already gone. Move Teddy to the centers. How many games did he even play at fullback?
I see no sense in our strategy except that finishing 14th is better than finishing last.
Because he was brought to replace Slimey Fart short-term, and Tedesco long-term. Moving Tedesco to the centres doesn't help 5/8th, unless you wanted Kevin Naiqama or Esan Masters as 5/8th for the back half of the season. Also makes no sense whatsoever to move Tedesco who is one of the top FBs in the game.

As to Farah, I also can't fault it as a hooker strategy, ignoring the off-field nonsense and drama surrounding his departure. Liddle isn't physically fit, ET / Godinet / Killer aren't acceptable options - they have been tested.

If you are a bloke who would play nobody at 5/8th to replace Slimey Fart, and nobody at hooker to replace Liddle, then so be it, you torpedo any chance of salvaging a decent end to the season. Farah is a pretty good chance IMO of playing on for a year, so it may be anything but a 9-game signing. But I doubt there's anything I can say, just that your comments make no sense to me.

I'm actually curious if you think Benji was a good signing or not. Signing a bloke for just 1 year to maybe play on the bench... didn't turn out that way, but the plan was certainly not to start Benji Rd 1 and play him there most of the season.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:00 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:31 am
Demps wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Discussion has turned to our retention and recruitment Demps which involves all players , about 30 different players have been discussed , ours players and others

Put your glasses on bro
Demps is about to go to the sin bin...been sent to the bunker for review...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:02 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:00 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Demps wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Put your glasses on bro
Demps is about to go to the sin bin...been sent to the bunker for review...
LOL nooooo
*Argues with ref*
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm

I don’t think Lolohea has as much talent as some people make out...
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:54 pm

steve-o wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm
Yeah - he strikes me as a player who doesn't play structure, more off the cuff and dangerous in a line that's been broken. At the same age, he is a bit like a poor man's Benji.

barra

Post by barra » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:14 pm

Do we really know the actual longer term plans on how we were going to use Tui? Of course not.
Early signs were that he was going well at 5/8 and it seemed like a very good move.
Perhaps he felt he was going so well that this confidence morphed into him wanting to play fullback and perhaps based on his progress this being accepted by the coaching team. So we signed Reynolds.
But for whatever reasons, he hasn't carried that form over to the #1. Perhaps it's not within him. I believe he can be an acceptable 5/8 but not worthy of fullback. But by the time that was clear, we already had another couple of players for 5/8.
So Mbye came in before June 30, and Tui is off to the old dart.
Many things are going to be fluid when such a player comes to a club under these circumstances. I think the club has dealt with all quite well.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:22 pm

gallagher wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 9:27 am
Needaname wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 5:47 am
gallagher wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

In your opinion.

Marvelous.
I think we bought Tui to do a job, to play 5/8 for us for 12 rounds in 2017 and then have a crack at fullback in 2018. The extra year signing was a show of faith. He didn't work out at fullback, so we have offered him the opportunity to move on and he has.

Benji was brought back for a year one stint, Robbie has now been bought for a six month stint as well. They are exercises in rebuilding the morale, culture and public perception of the team, nothing more, not long term fixes. And as long as IC keeps looking for long term fixes (MBye) then I think it should work.

All recruitment is a gamble (pun not intended), some short stints, some longer term moves, some will come off some will go bad. As long as IC gets it mostly right, which we'll know for sure in a couple of years.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:22 pm

steve-o wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm
Agree.
#Unbeatable

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:23 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Demps wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Put your glasses on bro
Apologies boss.
#Unbeatable

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:39 pm

Demps wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:23 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Demps wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Put your glasses on bro
Apologies boss.
Me no boss , me kemo sabe , white man speak with forked tongue

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:49 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:39 pm
Demps wrote:
Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:23 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Demps wrote:

Put your glasses on bro
Apologies boss.
Me no boss , me kemo sabe , white man speak with forked tongue
You and BBF on the pipe again?
#Unbeatable