Yes - Answer to our Problems at any cost
42%
No - Over rated for the Price
58%

Total votes: 122

diedpretty

Re: NC worth a Million

Post by diedpretty » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:31 am

I'd rather go after Luai on a lot less and groom him s 5/8 with Brooks as half andspend the money on some top forwards.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:33 am

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:31 am
I'd rather go after Luai on a lot less and groom him s 5/8 with Brooks as half andspend the money on some top forwards.
#moneyball

I read somewhere hes being groomed as Maloney replacement?
Either way, he's great.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:46 am

Maloney signed a 4 year contract with panthers, so he ain’t retiring for a while
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:47 am

Make that a 3 year deal
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:00 pm

coivtny wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:21 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:47 am
coivtny wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 8:52 am
If Brooks is on $550k I'd pay Cleary around $650k because I think he's better than Brooks but not that much better. I don't watch many games other than Wests Tigers so I've had to judge him on 3 SOO games. To be honest I was really disappointed in his attacking game in all 3 Origin games.
So you've only seen him play in 3 games (against the best players in the game) but from that limited game time you are able to deduce that he's only worth $100k more than Brooks who's never played at rep level? Impressive.
Spare me the sarcasm. If you want to put a counter view, more power to you but don't belittle yourself by trying to belittle others. It says a lot about your character and none of it is good.
Well you come out and say you haven't really seen him play at club level but you're happy to judge him up against a guy that you've seen play a hundred times. If you were making the same assumption based on Maloney's game last night you'd say he was worth about $5. Which is why making those kind of assumptions based on such limited play is ridiculous.

Cleary is clearly a quality player but he's also a player that's playing behind a quality forward pack. How would he be playing behind our rabble of a pack? Who knows, it's too hard to say. We know that in club football, behind a strong pack, he's an excellent player. Probably the brightest young halfback in the comp. Worth $1m? Possibly, and someone will absolutely pay him that. Would it be wise for us to pay $1m for him? Probably not, because our forward pack is hopeless and has zero go forward. In my opinion we'd be better off investing in the forwards and a couple of fast backs first.

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm

Not a million $$$ player yet has the potential to be,struggled a little at SOO level but is the best we have at present and the experience will be invaluable for the future, looks good at Penriff with strong backs and forwards running off him goal kicking a big plus and can defend it a shame Benji doesn't have a few more seasons left in him could teach him a lot probably still can in an off field role.

MissMe911

Post by MissMe911 » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm

As good as any other player on a mil

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:23 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:00 pm
coivtny wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
coivtny wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 8:52 am
If Brooks is on $550k I'd pay Cleary around $650k because I think he's better than Brooks but not that much better. I don't watch many games other than Wests Tigers so I've had to judge him on 3 SOO games. To be honest I was really disappointed in his attacking game in all 3 Origin games.
So you've only seen him play in 3 games (against the best players in the game) but from that limited game time you are able to deduce that he's only worth $100k more than Brooks who's never played at rep level? Impressive.
Spare me the sarcasm. If you want to put a counter view, more power to you but don't belittle yourself by trying to belittle others. It says a lot about your character and none of it is good.
Well you come out and say you haven't really seen him play at club level but you're happy to judge him up against a guy that you've seen play a hundred times. If you were making the same assumption based on Maloney's game last night you'd say he was worth about $5. Which is why making those kind of assumptions based on such limited play is ridiculous.

Cleary is clearly a quality player but he's also a player that's playing behind a quality forward pack. How would he be playing behind our rabble of a pack? Who knows, it's too hard to say. We know that in club football, behind a strong pack, he's an excellent player. Probably the brightest young halfback in the comp. Worth $1m? Possibly, and someone will absolutely pay him that. Would it be wise for us to pay $1m for him? Probably not, because our forward pack is hopeless and has zero go forward. In my opinion we'd be better off investing in the forwards and a couple of fast backs first.
Much better and more balanced response and done without sarcasm this time.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:36 pm

coivtny wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:23 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:00 pm
coivtny wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

Much better and more balanced response and done without sarcasm this time.
:)

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:39 pm

and here is the problem people dont want "plodders" but wont pay market price for players i dont get it. You are not getting a gun from another team for peanuts

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:44 pm

hodgo wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:39 pm
and here is the problem people dont want "plodders" but wont pay market price for players i dont get it. You are not getting a gun from another team for peanuts
Correct if you want quality you have to pay accordingly

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:46 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:44 pm
hodgo wrote:
Correct if you want quality you have to pay accordingly
Totally.
Even paying more than market value is still worth it, i.e. for the team that really needs it.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:47 pm

Great goal kicker but has not impressed since returning from the knee injury, despite playing behind the best forward pack in the comp.
It depends how Mbye goes with the goal kicking for the remainder of this year whether we really need Cleary for that purpose. I guess Brooks will be asking a lot more next contract and has up / down form but has really improved defensively this year.
I think the panthers would love to keep Cleary but they an awesome fallback option with a that kid who filled in for Cleary last game ( much cheaper option at that ).

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:49 pm

Not in great form ATM but he is still worth every penny imo. A 20 year old who's already played finals and in an origin winning series would be huge and still has a load of improvement in him. If we get him we could be getting him in some of his prime years as a footballer

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:56 pm

hodgo wrote:
But most of us agree that a couple of Million will have to be spent on a forward pack that will accommodate spending one million on a half back . No use having a Ferrari body with a Proton motor it would be irresponsible of the club to consider that as there are no winners.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 1:04 pm

Snake wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:56 pm
hodgo wrote:
But most of us agree that a couple of Million will have to be spent on a forward pack that will accommodate spending one million on a half back .
Don't necessarily agree. Investing too much in forwards with such rubbish backs can be problematic. Besides, we just bought Packer, Matulino and now Garner. If they performed we wouldn't have this discussion. Sad that.

We need one strike second rower but come one it's time to get a proper halfback.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 1:28 pm

Not even close to worth a million.

NC plays behind the best forward pack in the comp and with a strong backline. When he runs to the line, he can hit Kikau, Yeo, Fisher Hair, Harawira-Neira, and thats on the back of guys like Campbell-Gillard going forward. Whebn Brooks goes to the line his options are Rochow, Taylor, Eisenhuth. Brooks has legitimately nothing to work with, he has to make others look good.

Don't get me wrong, Cleary is good, but put him in the Tigers this year and I don't honestly think we are any higher on the lader. Last year, he was okay for the first 20 rounds and had a good final 2 months, again playing witha superstar team.

Other than some last tackle options, Brooks is going okay behind the weakest pack in the comp.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 1:31 pm

He is a game manager not a flashy attacking player, and we need a game manager. You can have a great pack of forwards but without a game manager they will never amount to much. He could probably even get our plodders looking good.

He alone will not make us a force but he will help