Yes - Answer to our Problems at any cost
42%
No - Over rated for the Price
58%

Total votes: 122

jirskyr

Re: NC worth a Million

Post by jirskyr » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 2:03 pm

Whilst I agree you need your forward pack working properly to let the halves play properly, I wonder what Tigers would be like having a bloke who defends well, covers the park (NC consistently posting highest travel metres in each Origin match), kicks and passes well, has a calm head, kicks goals at a high percentage.

Literally we have never had a footballer like that, always had rocks-diamonds types in the halves, that could win a match late or murder a lead. Benjis, Brooks, Slimey Fart, Craig Field. Scott Prince perhaps our closest type but even he was up and down.

Is he worth $1M? Yes - current market value for a top halfback. NC would be one of the better halfbacks in the comp in anyone's books, and is only very young. He's played 3 seasons now so it's no fluke, no first-year syndrome.

But the truest irony here is two-fold for me.

Number 1 - we are a legitimate shot at signing NC because of his Dad. Totally legit opportunity to sign an elite-level rep footballer, and people are poo-pooing it. I get it, you don't think he's worth the money, but everyone thought Tedesco was worth $1M and is Tedesco clearly a better club footballer than NC? We currently have ZERO Origin players on our books, have a think about that. Sure I'd love to sign a top-line prop or centre, but we also have to think about who we might legitimately convince to come to the Tigers without forking out $1.5M per season to swing it.

And Number 2 - judging his capability as a long-term club footballer based on a single Origin series, if anyone is doing only that, is lunacy. Or maybe you have it backwards, because he's just played his first Origin and we won the series. The last 4 halfbacks to win a SOO series for NSW are NC, Trent Hodkinson and Kimmorley/Joey Johns.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 2:15 pm

I think people also are losing sight of how much the cap has gone up in recent times. $1 million doesn't mean the same as $1 million when DCE signed or Taumalolo. It's a smaller percentage of the cap.

A Cleary/Brooks/Mbye/Liddle combo will be pretty damn good. If we've forward loaded some contracts, the $1mil won't bite into our cap as much.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 2:33 pm

O.K then signing him up i am convinced.

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 2:42 pm

I voted yes for a number of reasons.

Wests are struggling to attract elite players and signing NC would be an elite signing.

I believe this will help Wests to attract players similar to Cowboys and JT has and as Ponga will for Knights.

NC is an outstanding young man with potential to be the face of the NRL for many years to come.

The 1m price tag is in the ball park of the elite HB in todays game. But we are not the Rorters and will need to pay overs for an elite player or 2 to attract others.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:04 pm

Signing Nathan and any other player (re props and good back rowers) doesnt need to mutually exclude one another. If fact could be used as a good plan to show them WT mean business.

I think Brooks has done his dash and wont improve any further as a halfback, we have spent too much time hoping. I'm open to him possibly trying other positions but I dont know what.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:04 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:53 am
Forget about the money ladies and gentlemen

If we can't put a forward pack in front of NC that can hold it's own , he won't be coming even if we cough up 1.5 million
I agree. We need strong forwards and centres not another halfback. After paying $1.1 miliion to NC work out whether we could then afford another "reasonable" player to improve our team. Also it would be likely that we would have to payout the remaining on Brooks' contract. I wonder how those proposing NC be signed for $1.1 milliom go handling the family budget let alone an NRL club budget.

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:09 pm

Newtown wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:04 pm
happy tiger wrote:

If we can't put a forward pack in front of NC that can hold it's own , he won't be coming even if we cough up 1.5 million
I agree. We need strong forwards and centres not another halfback. After paying $1.1 miliion to NC work out whether we could then afford another "reasonable" player to improve our team. Also it would be likely that we would have to payout the remaining on Brooks' contract. I wonder how those proposing NC be signed for $1.1 milliom go handling the family budget let alone an NRL club budget.
The rorters have a number of players on 1m+ and still have a mil left in cap space.

Infact, most teams have more then one 1m player. Even the Knights.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:09 pm

happy tiger wrote:

Areed. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. We are always behind the 8 ball when it comes to our team line up mentality. Wests tigers think that Grand Prix's are won with the quickest set of wheels. Wont mean Jack squat if we are running with a reconditioned V6 engine.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:27 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:21 am
Needaname wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:07 am
I don’t think the Poll questions sum up the title query.
He is far from overrated, and far from the only answer to all our problems.
I think 800,000 to 850,000 is fair. Don’t believe Penrith will pay much more than that for now.
I’d be surprised if his on much more than 350,000 at the moment.
fair enough changed it a bit..

The thing is though the $1M + price tag is what he will command ..the next Club will pay it..
Better, thanks Geo, still don’t believe the million.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:30 pm

supercoach wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 1:31 pm
He is a game manager not a flashy attacking player, and we need a game manager. You can have a great pack of forwards but without a game manager they will never amount to much. He could probably even get our plodders looking good.

He alone will not make us a force but he will help
Well said Super!!

TopTiger

Post by TopTiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:30 pm

Sign him and others will follow.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:32 pm

I'd take him.
Can't see us winning diddly squat with Brooks - he just doesn't have the right temperament.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:34 pm

TopTiger wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:30 pm
Sign him and others will follow.
How I view it too.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:38 pm

Newtown wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

But... they are off contract the same time???

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:45 pm

Snake wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 6:52 am
Is NC worth a Million a season out of our cap ? After watching the three Origins and most games Penrith play I certainly would not be paying that amount to sign him. Yes a solid player but certainly not the X factor ,I would be spending the money first on building a dominate forward pack and a class 5/8.
but, but, we just send packing our 'X-factor' to UK ? :ugeek: :)

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:48 pm

Ok ok,
Mixed results but the question is.
If we signed Cleary to control and manage our game, after going over NCs strengths and weaknesses as one part of two halves who is the best partner for him at 5/8?

Consider every 5/8 or halfback if you’d like, in the comp. left foot kickers preferred.
I’m split between Corey Norman or Cameron Munster.
Who would you chose?

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:56 pm

If we signed him 1 mil at let Brooks go, we'd be losing about 300k in our salary cap (I'm expecting Brooks to ask for at least 700k).

We'll also have a number of players coming off contract end of 2019 so we should have room to move for a couple of top forwards, especially if we somehow manage to sign NC early as it will entice others to join.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 4:17 pm

Fibros wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:09 pm
Newtown wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

The rorters have a number of players on 1m+ and still have a mil left in cap space.

Infact, most teams have more then one 1m player. Even the Knights.
Are you suggesting that Wests Tigers break the CAP rules? If they did they would be made sacrificial lambs by the NRL in no time.