Sydney as a destination isnt the problem, we are the problem,
Pretty much
No more plodders!
:sign:

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm

TopTiger wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 4:48 pm
Even with Korbin Sims leaving the Broncos you would envisage that they would lose at least one or two of the other forwards mentioned above given their current roster!!
Plus, don't forget that Sam "third man in" Thaiday is retiring .. leaves two forwards down for next season. So they will be able to top TPJ, Fifita and Sau with money saved from Sims and Thaiday.

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:34 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:43 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 5:37 pm
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 5:28 pm
Problem we have is we aren’t seen as a dream location. Hopefully we throw a few offers out there but broncos will pull so rubbish to keep them all.
We cover the Inner West, one of the most desirable areas in Sydney. Remember that many of these players have wives, partners and girlfriends. A promotion of up market Inner West residences at affordable prices (subsidised?) in Balmain, Leichhardt, Concord or Stanmore can be persuasive in attracting talent, more so than the club.
I live in the inner west and agree it’s a great area to live for everyone. I was more referring to the club not the location. We are seen as a poor battling club with sub par facilities which makes it hard to attract players.
Yeah, nothing like cringing every time an airplane skids across your roof in the inner west, especially whilst watching ‘Aircraft Diasters’ on TV.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:12 pm

TonyTiger wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:34 pm
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:43 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 5:37 pm
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 5:28 pm
Problem we have is we aren’t seen as a dream location. Hopefully we throw a few offers out there but broncos will pull so rubbish to keep them all.
We cover the Inner West, one of the most desirable areas in Sydney. Remember that many of these players have wives, partners and girlfriends. A promotion of up market Inner West residences at affordable prices (subsidised?) in Balmain, Leichhardt, Concord or Stanmore can be persuasive in attracting talent, more so than the club.
I live in the inner west and agree it’s a great area to live for everyone. I was more referring to the club not the location. We are seen as a poor battling club with sub par facilities which makes it hard to attract players.
Yeah, nothing like cringing every time an airplane skids across your roof in the inner west, especially whilst watching ‘Aircraft Diasters’ on TV.
One of my mates use to live in a place out the back of Marrickville and you’d have to pause your conversation every couple of minutes when have beers out the back due to the planes. Still wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, everything I need/want is in the local area or easily accessible.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:52 pm

Ever since we merged from the old Balmain & Wests we have never really had a pack for forwards that were feared by other teams. Back in the days of Wests & Balmain yes at times, but not now. We need forwards that the other side does like fronting up to. We will just have to buy cautiously with a longer term goal. Yes, have to replace plodders with plodders until ......., but we can only hope longer term we can have a pack like Souths, Easts, Bronco's.............

I also think we should try expanding the search to ESL because the pickings here are getting very slim at present.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 9:15 pm

Roosters just offloaded their reserve orange peeler so that frees up 1 million a season.heard they're keen

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 1:04 am

The reserve orange peeler has been superseded by the Gatorade lid remover, a role that is highly remunerated at the Roosters.

WswWt

Post by WswWt » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 1:47 am

With the broncos signing Haas till 2024 we should look to either offer TPJ or Jaydn Sua an offer.

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:40 am

Harvey wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:32 pm
Players love the attraction of traffic gridlock and properties that cost you as much as you will clear in a ten year contract, and you fight for car spaces or don’t have one.

Best option would be to offer cheap rent in a ghetto apartment complex built by a former major sponsor
Didn’t that same guy say he was going to sort JT and Robbie’s differences back in the day?????
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 9:51 am

There was a quote in another thread saying the club will not pay above market rate for a player .. well looks like the plodderthon and the super cheap bargain bin for burnt out pension seeking players will continue.

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:02 am

this is a very amusing thread.
its been a chucklethon for me.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:07 am

How about Josh Maguire? Either the Broncos re-sign all their gun kids coming through or they let some of their more experienced high profile forwards go. Thaiday is one, Sims was in there to an extent but not on great coin. They may be releasing one of their contracted players.

We'd still likely be outgunned by the Sharks, Roosters or Eels but we could make a big play for him. Still only 28.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:44 am

Snake wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 9:51 am
There was a quote in another thread saying the club will not pay above market rate for a player .. well looks like the plodderthon and the super cheap bargain bin for burnt out pension seeking players will continue.
Do you want to end up like Canterbury?

:crazy

kafta

Post by kafta » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:54 am

magpiecol wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:44 am
Snake wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 9:51 am
Do you want to end up like Canterbury?

:crazy
They were all backended contracts, At least they spent a few years at the top.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:22 pm

A lot of this stuff I am reading in this thread and in the "Signing Suggestions and Rumours" thread isn't making any sense to me. People need to be a little more patient. Coming from where we were in the last couple of seasons with the roster that we had, it was obvious that it was going to be a process to climb off the bottom of the pile. No club can make a turnaround of that proportion in one season. We are not going to be a "destination" that quality players want to play at just all of a sudden. The cap structure wont allow you to buy up a whole bunch of top players in one go that maybe will win a GF! You have to take it in steps, and that's what Ivan is trying to do. A quality roster is built over time.

We need to PROVE to everyone that we are no longer a basket case club. We need to EARN a reputation on and off the field. Top players have got to be able to look at us and think - "there's a club going somewhere".
All this requires many things but includes, sound Management and Admin decisions, having a respected Coaching team, having quality facilities, a strong fan base and membership, building a positive club and player culture, as well as performing well at all levels on the field.
We have made good inroads in most of these areas and have begun to earn respect. There have been some clever decisions on recruiting, and some perhaps that haven't worked out as hoped. As an example, the recruiting of Benji and Farah has shown everybody that WT's has a proud history, and as much as it may seem a feel good story, it resonates well with prospective players and NRL fans.

Ivan has been able to clear away some of the superfluous players to make room for new blood and next season he will do this again, until we are able to hone in to a playing group that will get us where we want to be. What players we are able to secure at the end of this season will be interesting, but I am sure he is out there working on it. So as much as I would have liked to see us playing finals this year, realistically I am pretty happy with the way things are heading and I think everyone else should be too!

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 5:15 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:22 pm
A lot of this stuff I am reading in this thread and in the "Signing Suggestions and Rumours" thread isn't making any sense to me. People need to be a little more patient. Coming from where we were in the last couple of seasons with the roster that we had, it was obvious that it was going to be a process to climb off the bottom of the pile. No club can make a turnaround of that proportion in one season. We are not going to be a "destination" that quality players want to play at just all of a sudden. The cap structure wont allow you to buy up a whole bunch of top players in one go that maybe will win a GF! You have to take it in steps, and that's what Ivan is trying to do. A quality roster is built over time.

We need to PROVE to everyone that we are no longer a basket case club. We need to EARN a reputation on and off the field. Top players have got to be able to look at us and think - "there's a club going somewhere".
All this requires many things but includes, sound Management and Admin decisions, having a respected Coaching team, having quality facilities, a strong fan base and membership, building a positive club and player culture, as well as performing well at all levels on the field.
We have made good inroads in most of these areas and have begun to earn respect. There have been some clever decisions on recruiting, and some perhaps that haven't worked out as hoped. As an example, the recruiting of Benji and Farah has shown everybody that WT's has a proud history, and as much as it may seem a feel good story, it resonates well with prospective players and NRL fans.

Ivan has been able to clear away some of the superfluous players to make room for new blood and next season he will do this again, until we are able to hone in to a playing group that will get us where we want to be. What players we are able to secure at the end of this season will be interesting, but I am sure he is out there working on it. So as much as I would have liked to see us playing finals this year, realistically I am pretty happy with the way things are heading and I think everyone else should be too!
Well said, Mate. That's as I see it too.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 5:22 pm

hobbo wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:12 pm
gallagher wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:51 pm
Sydney as a destination isnt the problem, we are the problem,
That’s pretty much it .
Sydney saturated and we not on top of list atm.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 6:01 pm

Russell wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 5:15 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:22 pm

Well said, Mate. That's as I see it too.

The club is heading in the right direction and things will happen in time.