Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Snake

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by Snake » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:33 am

Muffstar wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:30 am
Ok so make a contract extension to Ivan and see how he responds. If he extends then there is a good chance Nathan may come. If he does not then he will more than likely leave.

The reason for doing this is to gauge his commitment and also should Ivan be involved in driving recruitment going forward since he went be here.
Maybe he wanted someone to get burnt by this and someone has been somewhat tarnished .

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:34 am

Haven't seen the presser but seriously what else was he going to say?
Had he said something like " I've had meetings with Wests Tiger's about extending my stay past 2020 and that's where we are at , hopefully we get something sorted out in the off season ". Then you'd be filled with excitement knowing his definitely on the Bus.

For me his still had dialogue with the Panthers and who knows maybe a deal has been struck.....Panthers have openly said there happy to wait 2 years for Ivan , so who knows.
If he goes to Penrith in 2021 well the answer will be that a deal was organised.

Anyway back to the Footy and we can give it a rest for a while.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

smoking gun

Post by smoking gun » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:36 am

Snake wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:31 am
Bula wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:23 am
Time for Smoking Gun to stop firing blanks. Reckons he is in the know at the club. On Wednesday he had the inside goss on Penrith paying for our next coach and giving us players. Needs to change his name to Dirty Diaper.
Mr gun I think we all have had enough of un factual posts and comments for one week.
I said if Cleary was released it would be at a kings ransom. Players money etc etc

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:37 am

Ken Y wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:29 am
So why does a smart bloke like Cleary not address this on Tuesday morning instead of Saturday morning.... the whole situation would not have had so much time to fester.

He says he spoke with the chair and ceo about the approach yet no offer was made.....

I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle
Agreed. Great that he's now committed to honour his contract, but there is clearly more to it otherwise he would have ended the media circus on Wednesday or Thursday.

Ken Y

Post by Ken Y » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:38 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:34 am
Haven't seen the presser but seriously what else was he going to say?
Had he said something like " I've had meetings with Wests Tiger's about extending my stay past 2020 and that's where we are at , hopefully we get something sorted out in the off season ". Then you'd be filled with excitement knowing his definitely on the Bus.

For me his still had dialogue with the Panthers and who knows maybe a deal has been struck.....Panthers have openly said there happy to wait 2 years for Ivan , so who knows.
If he goes to Penrith in 2021 well the answer will be that a deal was organised.

Anyway back to the Footy and we can give it a rest for a while.
Agree. The fact that he went out of his way to reiterate the point that he and Nathan would like to work together instead of saying I'd like to have Nathan at the club says it all.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:38 am

At least it took our minds off our season.

Get busy signing players now please.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:39 am

Earl wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:27 am
smoking gun wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:09 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 9:59 am
So he wants to coach his son. Does that mean he’ll be chasing him for 2020?
About 6 weeks ago tigers offered in an informal discussion Reynolds or Brooks for Cleary to get Nathan for 2019. My feeling this is what prompted Penrith into action. If Nathan leaves, Penrith will want something in return so high chance he will be released from final year if that’s indeed what he wants.
Is this really true ? I mean Reynolds I can understand but Brooks doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah Brooks does not want to leave but apparently that doesn't matter..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

on the hill

Post by on the hill » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:44 am

Ivan looked and sounded stressed as. If he left, it wouldn't be lightly. And he seems absolutely livid with the press. Normally he's unflappable but not today.

Through all of this I still wonder why he didn't speak earlier. The silence was deafening.
Also, who would want to work under Phil Gould? People in his position are best seen, not heard. I had a lot of time for him until this week where it seems like he's incapable of shutting his mouth.

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:44 am

hobbo wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:17 am
momo&medo wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:12 am
hobbo wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:10 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:00 am

Miss information huh...

Was a good press conference..
Meh ....
Read from a pre- prepared statement
Looked rattled
And how would you look after a week like that Mr Hobo?
Another nothing person for you I suppose.
He should’ve nipped it in the bud earlier in the week ..

What was the hold up ?
Ivan looked like he’d just been handed a 2 year good behaviour bond and sentenced to home detention.
The Tigers Board nipped this in the bud pretty quickly, don’t be disillusioned- Ivan had his pencil case packed, the panthers offer was verbal initially (with a pre conceived contract ready for activation, for 2019) with Ivan to approach the Tigers for a release then once granted the invisible ink on the 2019 contract would materialise with a whiff of fresh mountain air.
The delay was waiting for the board to rollover and sanction Ivan’s release but alas...checkmate.
Call me a mug if you like but I think the Tigers Board grew up this week.
My option still remains that Ivan is now poison though.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:47 am

TonyTiger wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:44 am
hobbo wrote:
momo&medo wrote:
hobbo wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:10 am

Meh ....
Read from a pre- prepared statement
Looked rattled

What was the hold up ?
Ivan looked like he’d just been handed a 2 year good behaviour bond and sentenced to home detention.
The Tigers Board nipped this in the bud pretty quickly, don’t be disillusioned- Ivan had his pencil case packed, the panthers offer was verbal initially (with a pre conceived contract ready for activation, for 2019) with Ivan to approach the Tigers for a release then once granted the invisible ink on the 2019 contract would materialise with a whiff of fresh mountain air.
The delay was waiting for the board to rollover and sanction Ivan’s release but alas...checkmate.
You are a mug.

Tommy Magpie

Post by Tommy Magpie » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:48 am

Not real convincing from Ivan.

I think Nathan wants to stay with his mates at the Panthers and wants his Dad to the Panthers rather than move to the Tigers. Ivan was willing to sacrifice his integrity for the $s.

Ivan had no choice but to honour his contract as Wests didnt roll over. If he wanted to stay at the Tigers he would have come out earlier in the week, or made a commitment in his presser this morning.

If Nathan extends at Panthers, Ivan will be there in 2021, if not earlier. Whats the point in keeping Ivan against his wishes if he will be with Nathan from 2021.

Our only chance is to to get Ivan upgraded and extended before November, and Nathan will follow. Need Harry T to match the $s Ivan was offered at the chocolate soldiers.

People say Ivan wont play under Gould. I say if Ivan goes to Penrith then Gould steps aside. His 5 year contract just means a bigger payout for the grub when he pulls the pin.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:48 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:47 am
TonyTiger wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:44 am
hobbo wrote:
momo&medo wrote:

What was the hold up ?
You are a mug.
:lol:
No more plodders!
:sign:

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:50 am

Pretty unconvincing really.

Seemed very upset reading the statement and looked far more comfortable answering ad hoc questions about the game. Absolutely no indication that he wants to be here - seems more about maintaining his integrity etc. Don't have a lot of faith but time will tell I suppose.

Ken Y

Post by Ken Y » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:51 am

"I was told at that meeting the club was looking at the head coaching position. I advised the Panthers of my ongoing contract status with the Wests Tigers."

Yeh right Ivan cause Penrith didn't know what your coaching status was....

He then goes on to say he''ll 'Honour' his contract, which sounds like someone being held against their will...

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:54 am

Funny hat nrl.com choose to run an article confirming his commitment for 2019

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:55 am

His take on the initial meeting with Penrith was interesting. According to IC:

They brought up the coaching future at Penrith. He reminded them he had a contract at WT and that was it. He was surprised when Griffin got the elbow.

So... no contract, no expression of interest in 2019.

Wildcat777

Post by Wildcat777 » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:56 am

Lol too funny..... what we know is what is the truth are 2 very different things. It’s obvious however. This has all been about the signature of one NC. So 2 sides both different stories. One truth and the other not. The person who will eventually tell the truth will be the man in question. That is NC. And this truth will be made public in November. If he signs a new contract extension then Gus has basically been telling the truth, though I may not like and how he got his man. The rest ie 2019 or 2021 to Penrith is just as it sounds, rubbish to protect one club being exposed to legal ramifications and compensation to get there man as agreed and when they really wanted him. I am happy to be wrong if IC extends his time and NC is signed. But I have a feeling there is no chance of this scenario happening. Yes we are passionate supporters and we all have the right to express our opinions be they right or wrong. At this moment we do not know. And may never know.
Do not go where the path may lead go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:56 am

old man tiger wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 9:57 am
Why not say this Tuesday. Feel the anger and emotion from all parties has been a waste of time. I understand and acknowledge he has been hurt by this and don't feel good about that, I also feel he could have hosed it down.

A possible explanation is that he had a decision to make, about an option he shouldn't have been considering. Will forgive and move on, but things like this make me hate the game.
Why wasn't Ivan allowed to consider any offers?

If Penrith came to him and offered 2021, or even 2019, why can't Ivan consider it? Any reasonable human would take some time to consider attractive job offers, even if they were under a contract.

Cleary has decided not to take up any offers, whatever they may or may not be, from Penrith at this time. So apart from the fact that Penrith blew up their own coaching ship and yanked Cleary into the subsequent mess, we are actually no different factually than we were a week ago - Cleary 2.5 years to run on his deal.

Anyone who says Ivan is poison or his position is untenable isn't thinking straight - tainted by the innuendo of a week of media. He hasn't done anything illegal.

Sure Ivan could have saved himself some grief by speaking out earlier in the week. We don't know the rationale at this time why he didn't speak sooner, maybe it will come out over time. Maybe he underestimated the media hubbub and the comments Penrith would make. Maybe there was indeed a really lucrative offer and he needed time to consider his options. Maybe he simply didn't have the time - I know I wouldn't be able to just drop everything and take on a press conference at short notice; there are things to be done this week.