Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Cultured Bogan

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:22 pm

Kul wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:09 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 11:08 am
This story is looking like a Tarantino film with so many perspectives on the same story. Now the Ivan version.

Ivan goes to a casual coffee with his old mate O'Neil at Penrith. Dave is shooting the breeze about the future at Penrith "Would you ever come back Ivan?" "Yeah Dave I would... but I've got this contract with the Tigers so..." "Undersood mate - flat whites on me..."

Next thing Ivan is at home playing Lego with Nathan when the news comes that Griffin has been fired. Thinks back to his coffee and concludes he better tell Go and Pascoe since I might look bad. Does so. Gets back to deciding whether Luke Garner should start or go from the bench...

Sits at home watching a lot of rubbish from reporting. Can barely concentrate on the playdough with Nathan. Go and Pascoe tell him relax we'll do the press. That doesn't solve the problem entirely. Resolves to do press conference.
This!!!
Yep. Sounds like a declaration of an informal discussion got out of hand.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:38 pm

Balmainian wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 1:33 pm
Yeah, he’s not innocent, and his PC this morning didn’t really put my mind at ease that he was fully invested in the West’s Tigers.
He also said that panthers had not made him an offer.
If that’s the case why all this BS for the whole week.
Why not say last Sunday hey everyone there’s been no offer let’s move on.
"Made him an offer" is a phrase open to interpretation. Just because there was no contract with a set figure doesn't mean there wasn't some discussion on whether he would be willing to leave.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:45 pm

Dont think Gould ever wanted Ivan at Penrith but Dave ONeil does.
Ivan provided the opportunity for Gould to get rid of Griffin and also tarnish Clearys reputation by making public the meeting.
Still think Ivan would have taken the opportunity if he was able to, but now not sure that he and Gould will ever be able to be at the same club.
Interesting times ahead at Penrith in terms of who has most power there, and what Nathan decides to do after the events of the last week.
Hope the Titans wallop them today.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:47 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:22 pm
Kul wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:09 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 11:08 am
This story is looking like a Tarantino film with so many perspectives on the same story. Now the Ivan version.

Ivan goes to a casual coffee with his old mate O'Neil at Penrith. Dave is shooting the breeze about the future at Penrith "Would you ever come back Ivan?" "Yeah Dave I would... but I've got this contract with the Tigers so..." "Undersood mate - flat whites on me..."

Next thing Ivan is at home playing Lego with Nathan when the news comes that Griffin has been fired. Thinks back to his coffee and concludes he better tell Go and Pascoe since I might look bad. Does so. Gets back to deciding whether Luke Garner should start or go from the bench...

Sits at home watching a lot of rubbish from reporting. Can barely concentrate on the playdough with Nathan. Go and Pascoe tell him relax we'll do the press. That doesn't solve the problem entirely. Resolves to do press conference.
This!!!
Yep. Sounds like a declaration of an informal discussion got out of hand.
Yeah spot on Yoss, especially the part about the lego and playdough :lol:

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:53 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 11:15 am
Wouldn't surprise me if an extension for Ivan is being looked at ...for a guy who has a 45% win record and whist improvements have been made hasn't really proven anything..... would mean we have learnt nothing from Sheens when ironically the same club courted him we shat ourselves and extended only to sack him a year later...
You ain't a bit concerned that he was made to say that by the Tigers board by the look of his body language during the conference?
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:53 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:45 pm
Dont think Gould ever wanted Ivan at Penrith but Dave ONeil does.
Ivan provided the opportunity for Gould to get rid of Griffin and also tarnish Clearys reputation by making public the meeting.
Still think Ivan would have taken the opportunity if he was able to, but now not sure that he and Gould will ever be able to be at the same club.
Interesting times ahead at Penrith in terms of who has most power there, and what Nathan decides to do after the events of the last week.
Hope the Titans wallop them today.
You're right I don't think Ivan was Gould's choice either. Gould said he wanted a coach who will get this talented team a Premiership in the next year or so while the window is still open. I hardly think Gould sees Ivan as the man to do that considering his past dealings with him and the fact that he has never coached a side to a Premiership. My money is on Bennett getting the gig, though I'm not sure how well he and Gould would work together!

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 11:48 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 11:41 am
All this tells me is that Paul Kent, like the rest of the News journos have no idea so they have to make up their own news and Gus is getting desperate.

They will just run with ...at the time my info was correct...things change quickly in rugby league blah blah

I think the best one in the past week was Brent Read with Nathan's made up his mind he'll be a Wests Tiger in 2020 if not 2019...nek minnet.. :lol:
Don't laugh, Brent Read may well still be correct!

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:08 pm

The damage is done to the Tigers by Penrith. Ivan stated It is common knowledge that my son Nathan and I have acknowledged our desire to work together at some time," he said."That remains the case."

If I had to guess Gus will try to get Bennett on a 2 year deal with Ivan coming in 2021.
If Nathan signs with Penrith it will confirm it.
Uncle Wayne may be smarter than Gould na demand a 3 year deal.

Our recruitment which, is key will suffer Ivan can’t confirm to anyone he will be here more than 2 years which, usually wouldn’t have any impact but given this nonsense about coaching his son it will hurt the club.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:13 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:53 pm
Geo. wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if an extension for Ivan is being looked at ...for a guy who has a 45% win record and whist improvements have been made hasn't really proven anything..... would mean we have learnt nothing from Sheens when ironically the same club courted him we shat ourselves and extended only to sack him a year later...
You ain't a bit concerned that he was made to say that by the Tigers board by the look of his body language during the conference?
Marsters, Twal, Brooks etc will no doubt receive interest from elsewhere in time.... Should we be concerned?
We would've known nothing of all this had Gus not sacked Griffin.
Next time you cross a road.... Be concerned about trucks and buses
Last edited by innsaneink on Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:13 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 2:53 pm
Geo. wrote:
How can you possibly say ivan was made to say that by the WT board?Time to take off your tin foil hat.As far as his body language was concerned a saw a man who was still obviously annoyed by slurs against his character as anybody would be

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:20 pm

He’s been hammered in this. Probably unfairly so. Clear he hates the media prising into his personal business, and wanted to keep things coaching only

Tarl

Post by Tarl » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:37 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 10:56 am
old man tiger wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 9:57 am
Why not say this Tuesday. Feel the anger and emotion from all parties has been a waste of time. I understand and acknowledge he has been hurt by this and don't feel good about that, I also feel he could have hosed it down.

A possible explanation is that he had a decision to make, about an option he shouldn't have been considering. Will forgive and move on, but things like this make me hate the game.
Why wasn't Ivan allowed to consider any offers?

If Penrith came to him and offered 2021, or even 2019, why can't Ivan consider it? Any reasonable human would take some time to consider attractive job offers, even if they were under a contract.

Cleary has decided not to take up any offers, whatever they may or may not be, from Penrith at this time. So apart from the fact that Penrith blew up their own coaching ship and yanked Cleary into the subsequent mess, we are actually no different factually than we were a week ago - Cleary 2.5 years to run on his deal.

Anyone who says Ivan is poison or his position is untenable isn't thinking straight - tainted by the innuendo of a week of media. He hasn't done anything illegal.

Sure Ivan could have saved himself some grief by speaking out earlier in the week. We don't know the rationale at this time why he didn't speak sooner, maybe it will come out over time. Maybe he underestimated the media hubbub and the comments Penrith would make. Maybe there was indeed a really lucrative offer and he needed time to consider his options. Maybe he simply didn't have the time - I know I wouldn't be able to just drop everything and take on a press conference at short notice; there are things to be done this week.
Well said Jirskyr.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:44 pm

https://www.9now.com.au/100-footy/2018/ ... qokvjivydk

Watch from 3 mins 30 secs, Gould 100% believed they had him for 2019.

Moh

Post by Moh » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:48 pm

smoking gun wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 1:52 pm
West’s tigers forum “why hasn’t Ivan said anything it must be true he’s leaving”

Ivan speaks

Also west’s tigers forum “oh he didn’t say exactly what I wanted to hear and didn’t deliver it how I wanted I think he’s still gonna leave I believe he also had a big part in this and isn’t innocent and is gonna leave and wah wah wah wah wah”

Get a frickin grip. He’s here. He’s staying.
Mate, you do realise you've only pointed out the obvious RE this situation.

Yes he has said he's staying and honouring his contract. The questions are more about what will happen at the end of his contract - cause if he's thinking of going to the Panthers then, how will he be committed to building our roster?

You say get a grip because you think you know what's going on. But you have given absolutely no insights, other than stating that they are negotiating compensation because Ivan was going. And we all know how accurate that was.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 4:06 pm

We will know what IC is doing when son Nathan signs his next deal in November

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 4:12 pm

Will be interesting with results..

Panthers win this week and tigers lose - reports will be tigers in a rift, Cleary has lost support of the dressing room.

Panthers lose tigers win - Cleary is a professional coach that the panthers had to try get.

Both lose - club crisis continues

Both win - players win matches, not coaches

DREW76

Post by DREW76 » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 4:15 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:04 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 11:48 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 11 Aug, 2018 11:41 am
All this tells me is that Paul Kent, like the rest of the News journos have no idea so they have to make up their own news and Gus is getting desperate.

They will just run with ...at the time my info was correct...things change quickly in rugby league blah blah

I think the best one in the past week was Brent Read with Nathan's made up his mind he'll be a Wests Tiger in 2020 if not 2019...nek minnet.. :lol:
Don't laugh, Brent Read may well still be correct!
Wouldn't that be a kick in Gus's guts! :D :righton:

Cheffo

Post by Cheffo » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 4:45 pm

There are those who think Ivan is an innocent victim and those who think otherwise. It’s actually easily proved. Publicly offer him a 2 year extension. If he accepts it then he’s truly on the bus. If he turns it down, it means he’s a hostage on his own bus and is only staying because he has to. I think they need to do this, to stop this hanging over our head. If I wanted to come and play for Ivan, I’d be sure to have a “coach clause” at this point.