Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 3652
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by WT2K » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:55 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:53 pm
tigerap wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:46 pm
81Tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 11:08 am
Last night at end of the footy show Freddy slipped into a sentence “when Ivan joins the Panthers next year” then kind of paused and tried to imply he meant “if”... hope it’s nothing but it didn’t seem like he was trying to make a joke, more a slip of the tongue. I assume he is very tight with Gus and privy to what he knows. Make of it what you will.
Even over on the Matty Johns Thursday night show when they referenced Ivan Cleary and Penriff is was said in a tone that its a "done deal" that Cleary will end up at Penriff in 2021 or earlier and if the Tigers were smart they would take away the recruitment ownership away from Cleary whilst he is there to avoid the new coach inheriting a "Hasler style mess"
All signings need to be approved by the Manager of Football Operations..Kelly Egan..is he going too...?
That's what I thought too. All signings need to go through Egan.
No more plodders!
:sign:


User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6230
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:55 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:24 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:11 pm
TYGA wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
I’d be very surprised if Cleary is not released by November. I think it’s more than likely Our management was out manoeuvred by Penrith. I hope he stays but it’s unlikely in my view. It’s probably all denial stuff until the season finishes.
Unfortunately I agree with you on this as it would of been put to bed properly by actually talking to the media.

My main concern is that this happens after season and we miss out on a good coach and have to start all over again..

My Choice would be Michael M or Wayne Bennett (Only if Ivan leaves )
The problem with your interpretation is that when people in the public eye make categorical, unambiguous statements such as: (a) “I have not received any offer from the Panthers, nor have I asked the Wests Tigers for a release”; and “…. I intend to honour this contract”, I’m inclined to believe them.

The reason is that smart people don’t tell deliberate lies if there is a chance they will be caught out. They certainly don’t tell barefaced lies, which the above statements would prove to be, if he intended to take up a coaching position with the Panthers in 2019.

If Cleary intended to take up a contract with Penrith in 2019 he would not have been so unequivocal in his statement.
Gus and Brandy both said a week before Griffin was sacked, " Anthony Griffin will be coach of Penrith next year, there are no issues with the players, it's a media beat up"
It does happen, it may be happening to us right now.
Go hard or go home

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:56 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:23 pm
Sign a player for spite..I like it..

Can we sign Taumalolo to stick it to the Cowgirls..and Taupau to give it to them Manly Scumbags for paying overs to get him..
Hear, hear!
But why stop there?
Let’s take Napa from the Chicks, and Gillard and Kikau from Gould, and we are more than 1/2 way there 🤗

Tcat
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by Tcat » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:56 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:51 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:11 pm
TYGA wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
I’d be very surprised if Cleary is not released by November. I think it’s more than likely Our management was out manoeuvred by Penrith. I hope he stays but it’s unlikely in my view. It’s probably all denial stuff until the season finishes.
Unfortunately I agree with you on this as it would of been put to bed properly by actually talking to the media.

My main concern is that this happens after season and we miss out on a good coach and have to start all over again..

My Choice would be Michael M or Wayne Bennett (Only if Ivan leaves )
The clubs management will know if Cleary leaving is correct or not. They'll be talking to coaches now.
I was thinking thinking the same thing. Our management isn't that stupid.

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by tigerap » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:57 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:53 pm
tigerap wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:46 pm
81Tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 11:08 am
Last night at end of the footy show Freddy slipped into a sentence “when Ivan joins the Panthers next year” then kind of paused and tried to imply he meant “if”... hope it’s nothing but it didn’t seem like he was trying to make a joke, more a slip of the tongue. I assume he is very tight with Gus and privy to what he knows. Make of it what you will.
Even over on the Matty Johns Thursday night show when they referenced Ivan Cleary and Penriff is was said in a tone that its a "done deal" that Cleary will end up at Penriff in 2021 or earlier and if the Tigers were smart they would take away the recruitment ownership away from Cleary whilst he is there to avoid the new coach inheriting a "Hasler style mess"
All signings need to be approved by the Manager of Football Operations..Kelly Egan..is he going too...?
I dunno is he.....


User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5863
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:58 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:04 pm
Spartan117 wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 11:34 am
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 16 Aug, 2018 4:11 pm
TIGERPOWER wrote:
Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:44 pm


What are you talking about. Ask mr Gould, no offer was made to Ivan. They were having coffee discussing old times. The whole thing was a media beat up, and it took us 5 days to let Ivan hose it down because he was super busy .

How’s your who will the tigers next coach thread going? Lol lol
Ask Gould? :roll
You must be the only fool that believes that BS artist

Now you reckon the whole things a media beat up...yet you still believe Ivans position here is untenable???

Make up your mind
This wasnt a beat up, the panthers made a move behind closed doors and they haven't been able to pull it of just yet.

Ultimate call is to retain Cleary Jnr even if its coupled with hiring the coach the same management thought he wasn't good enough at the time.
I'd suggest that the "Ivan is a done deal to the Panthers" is a beat up. Otherwise, why did Ivan categorically and unambiguously deny he had received an offer and say that he intended to see out his contract.

Sounds like a beat up to me.
Cause people can have agreements without saying the words, or by having someone pass on the message or by lieing.

Only time will tell I guess.

I hope Im wrong

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29179
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:59 pm

WT2K wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:55 pm
Geo. wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:53 pm
tigerap wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:46 pm
81Tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 11:08 am
Last night at end of the footy show Freddy slipped into a sentence “when Ivan joins the Panthers next year” then kind of paused and tried to imply he meant “if”... hope it’s nothing but it didn’t seem like he was trying to make a joke, more a slip of the tongue. I assume he is very tight with Gus and privy to what he knows. Make of it what you will.
Even over on the Matty Johns Thursday night show when they referenced Ivan Cleary and Penriff is was said in a tone that its a "done deal" that Cleary will end up at Penriff in 2021 or earlier and if the Tigers were smart they would take away the recruitment ownership away from Cleary whilst he is there to avoid the new coach inheriting a "Hasler style mess"
All signings need to be approved by the Manager of Football Operations..Kelly Egan..is he going too...?
That's what I thought too. All signings need to go through Egan.
Larger contracts also need to go to the Board for final approval..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Bee-Em
Member
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri 14 Apr, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Bee-Em » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 2:20 pm

Demps wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 8:34 am
Bee-Em wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 8:24 am
Demps wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 7:38 am
willow wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 6:46 am


Your posts are trolling other users - don't be daft or you can take a hike. I cannot be any clearer than that.
We don't even take notice of users with sign up dates after 2015

Keep up the good work Willow,
Legend!
Sounds like a boys club

Some users that signed up post 2015 may have been Tigers/Wests or West Tigers fans/members A LOT longer than some of the kids on here..
Semi serious.... Don't be mad.
Stay on topic 😉

Stay on topic...Grand idea.

I.Cleary is a good coach, but is he great? And his son does have a bright future, but he would have to start feeling the pressure sooner rather than later. Expectations are growing by the day

I think Brooksy is starting to come into his own, and I would be stoked if he became a West Tiger for life.

There are plenty of good coaches out there, just need to find the right one. But front office just needs to be on it's game, which I think it is.

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by tigerap » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 2:51 pm

Bee-Em wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 2:20 pm
Demps wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 8:34 am
Bee-Em wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 8:24 am
Demps wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 7:38 am


We don't even take notice of users with sign up dates after 2015

Keep up the good work Willow,
Legend!
Sounds like a boys club

Some users that signed up post 2015 may have been Tigers/Wests or West Tigers fans/members A LOT longer than some of the kids on here..
Semi serious.... Don't be mad.
Stay on topic 😉

Stay on topic...Grand idea.

I.Cleary is a good coach, but is he great? And his son does have a bright future, but he would have to start feeling the pressure sooner rather than later. Expectations are growing by the day

I think Brooksy is starting to come into his own, and I would be stoked if he became a West Tiger for life.

There are plenty of good coaches out there, just need to find the right one. But front office just needs to be on it's game, which I think it is.

You know you raised some good points....

Do we really need Nathan Cleary, when Brooks is coming along so nicely?...tbh the answer is no....so why should we sign him just so Ivan can stay!?!.... If Ivan goes I'm sure we can find another career coach to replace him, as long as it aint Toovey or Hasler....John Cartwright has a good demeanor about him..similar to Ivan

hsvjones
Member
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:26 pm

Post by hsvjones » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 2:57 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:14 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:11 pm
TYGA wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
I’d be very surprised if Cleary is not released by November. I think it’s more than likely Our management was out manoeuvred by Penrith. I hope he stays but it’s unlikely in my view. It’s probably all denial stuff until the season finishes.
Unfortunately I agree with you on this as it would of been put to bed properly by actually talking to the media.

My main concern is that this happens after season and we miss out on a good coach and have to start all over again..

My Choice would be Michael M or Wayne Bennett (Only if Ivan leaves )
Would Wayne bring Darius?
Gees I hope not

hsvjones
Member
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:26 pm

Post by hsvjones » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 3:00 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:24 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:11 pm
TYGA wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
I’d be very surprised if Cleary is not released by November. I think it’s more than likely Our management was out manoeuvred by Penrith. I hope he stays but it’s unlikely in my view. It’s probably all denial stuff until the season finishes.
Unfortunately I agree with you on this as it would of been put to bed properly by actually talking to the media.

My main concern is that this happens after season and we miss out on a good coach and have to start all over again..

My Choice would be Michael M or Wayne Bennett (Only if Ivan leaves )
The problem with your interpretation is that when people in the public eye make categorical, unambiguous statements such as: (a) “I have not received any offer from the Panthers, nor have I asked the Wests Tigers for a release”; and “…. I intend to honour this contract”, I’m inclined to believe them.

The reason is that smart people don’t tell deliberate lies if there is a chance they will be caught out. They certainly don’t tell barefaced lies, which the above statements would prove to be, if he intended to take up a coaching position with the Panthers in 2019.

If Cleary intended to take up a contract with Penrith in 2019 he would not have been so unequivocal in his statement.
Understand but this just seems very suss to me..

hsvjones
Member
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:26 pm

Post by hsvjones » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 3:01 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:51 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:11 pm
TYGA wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
I’d be very surprised if Cleary is not released by November. I think it’s more than likely Our management was out manoeuvred by Penrith. I hope he stays but it’s unlikely in my view. It’s probably all denial stuff until the season finishes.
Unfortunately I agree with you on this as it would of been put to bed properly by actually talking to the media.

My main concern is that this happens after season and we miss out on a good coach and have to start all over again..

My Choice would be Michael M or Wayne Bennett (Only if Ivan leaves )
The clubs management will know if Cleary leaving is correct or not. They'll be talking to coaches now.
You would think so ... With our CEO and GO i feel more confident than in the past..

User avatar
fibrodreaming
Member
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon 28 Mar, 2011 4:36 pm

Post by fibrodreaming » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:25 pm

TYGA wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:44 pm
fibrodreaming wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:24 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 1:11 pm
TYGA wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
I’d be very surprised if Cleary is not released by November. I think it’s more than likely Our management was out manoeuvred by Penrith. I hope he stays but it’s unlikely in my view. It’s probably all denial stuff until the season finishes.
Unfortunately I agree with you on this as it would of been put to bed properly by actually talking to the media.

My main concern is that this happens after season and we miss out on a good coach and have to start all over again..

My Choice would be Michael M or Wayne Bennett (Only if Ivan leaves )
The problem with your interpretation is that when people in the public eye make categorical, unambiguous statements such as: (a) “I have not received any offer from the Panthers, nor have I asked the Wests Tigers for a release”; and “…. I intend to honour this contract”, I’m inclined to believe them.

The reason is that smart people don’t tell deliberate lies if there is a chance they will be caught out. They certainly don’t tell barefaced lies, which the above statements would prove to be, if he intended to take up a coaching position with the Panthers in 2019.

If Cleary intended to take up a contract with Penrith in 2019 he would not have been so unequivocal in his statement.
He has to deny any contract has been offered otherwise he would be in court with Gus. He also has to state he will see out his contract he is legally obliged to fulfil it.
This is where it gets murky if he is leaving likely at the end of his deal and has told Pascoe this it’s untenable and he will be released. Oldest trick in the book it will come out as mutual agreement. If Maquire is available I’d waste no time and get it done.
West’s have the cash Cleary can coach the Magpies.

Fair enough Tyga. My point remains that smart people don't normally tell bare-faced lies in public. They choose their words carefully.

Cleary didn't have to deny a contract had been offered and he didn't have to state his intention to honour his contract.

Take Seibold for example - he started his presser last night saying he wanted to make a statement about the coaching position. He expressed disappointment at the false news in the press; said he would not take any questions on the subject; and then said "I am contracted to the Rabbihos for the next 15 months". End of story.

Cleary could have done the same thing. Seibold's statement won't put the matter to bed; but then, Ivan's more fulsome statement hasn't either. So, rather than lie, Cleary could have done a Seibold.

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 1823
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:43 pm

As has been mentioned i think Fitler let the cat out of the bag last night.

People have been trying to point out the issues with this whole mess and that we might not be out of the woods just yet. Perhaps its time they were listened to.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:47 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:43 pm
As has been mentioned i think Fitler let the cat out of the bag last night.

People have been trying to point out the issues with this whole mess and that we might not be out of the woods just yet. Perhaps its time they were listened to.
I just can’t believe that a man that articulated his values as openly and honestly as Cleary does could say ‘I’m staying’ and then go. But sadly, this is all I’m hanging onto because everything else I read and hear tends to reinforce we’ll be starting again next year.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 1823
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:52 pm

What will happen will happen.

What i really care about however is that the club is aware of the situation and is diligent in searching for a plan B.

If Ivan jumps we need a back up up our sleeve. Hire a new coaching director whatever just dont sit on our hands and go back to square one at the end of all this.
Its an opinion!

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:53 pm

WT2K wrote:
Thu 16 Aug, 2018 3:25 pm
You just have to look at the darts being throw by news Ltd on the Bennett situation to realise they have no idea. One saying Souths coach is all but done yesterday and now today saying madge is being head hunted for it. Eventually one of the darts will hit.
If the governments really wanted to do something about fake news it would be easy.Increasing libel cases against the media platforms re Cleary articles etc.The media left a lot of people and NRL clubs affected re bottom dollar etc with all this crap.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29179
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:53 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:43 pm
As has been mentioned i think Fitler let the cat out of the bag last night.

People have been trying to point out the issues with this whole mess and that we might not be out of the woods just yet. Perhaps its time they were listened to.
OK
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Post Reply