Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by momo&medo » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:44 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 8:47 pm
OldMagpie wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 8:35 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 8:25 pm
who cares if Iv goeas in 2 years just let him keep building what hes been building
How motivated do you think IC is going to be if he departs in two years? His eye will be closely on who Riff recruits.
No, I dont believe that, you dont get as far as he has in this game without being a thorough professional and doing you job to the best of your ability
Absolutely correct.
Besides what’s to say we still want him when his contract is up?

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:58 pm

I really do not know what all the fuss is about. He has a contract for two years and after that he is a free agent to do what he wants to do.

Being a professional coach he needs good results to keep or get future employment so that’s the motivation. I also think getting a team to 9th is hardly the grounds to be rushing out and trying to extend his contract. If indeed it looks like he will depart in two years, than that gives you two years to come up with another coach

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 10:24 pm

Is anyone considering that Penrith do not need Ivan if Nathan has agreed to terms without any clarity on the coaching situation?
People are saying Gus played Nathan and Ivan. What if the two of them played Gus so that Nathan could secure the biggest contract of his life.
You’ve got to remember Ivan to Nathan is Father first, coach second and would remain that way even if he was his coach directly.
Maybe Ivan agreed to a 2020 deal just so this scenario can arrise.
At this stage of their career they might be happy carving their own path.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:59 am

Needaname wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 10:24 pm
Is anyone considering that Penrith do not need Ivan if Nathan has agreed to terms without any clarity on the coaching situation?
People are saying Gus played Nathan and Ivan. What if the two of them played Gus so that Nathan could secure the biggest contract of his life.
You’ve got to remember Ivan to Nathan is Father first, coach second and would remain that way even if he was his coach directly.
Couldn’t agree more.
All Penrith wanted was Nathan.
Ivan will want to do the best he can with us so when he has a chance to one day work with his son, There is still demand for him as a coach.
I’m stoked Nathan signed with Penrith.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 1:51 am

Balmainian wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:59 am
Needaname wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 10:24 pm
Couldn’t agree more.
All Penrith wanted was Nathan.
Ivan will want to do the best he can with us so when he has a chance to one day work with his son, There is still demand for him as a coach.
I’m stoked Nathan signed with Penrith.
Gould got his man....it’s game over (clearys) as far as Gus is concerned....time we signed Brooks to a 3 year deal

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 5:58 am

I’m still dubious that he has signed or will sign within Gus’s new timeline. It goes against everything the Cleary’s have said regarding how this will be handled and moves into an emotional decision rather than rationale.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:20 am

Fox sports reporting Ivan Cleary in deep negotiations to sign with Penrith a 3 year contract from 2021.

I don’t know how people think his position is tenable here. The fact he continues to meet with panthers while employed by us shows he has absolutely no integrity. How can we have a coach that is leaving to our competitor in 2 years and will take all our secrets plus maybe some players when he leaves. Time to cut our losses, get some compensation in the form of a player or money and get someone else in. What a circus this has become and will become. Imagine the last year of his agreement with us, will he be meeting with players behind the scenes to sign them to the panthers.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:37 am

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:20 am
Fox sports reporting Ivan Cleary in deep negotiations to sign with Penrith a 3 year contract from 2021.

I don’t know how people think his position is tenable here. The fact he continues to meet with panthers while employed by us shows he has absolutely no integrity. How can we have a coach that is leaving to our competitor in 2 years and will take all our secrets plus maybe some players when he leaves. Time to cut our losses, get some compensation in the form of a player or money and get someone else in. What a circus this has become and will become. Imagine the last year of his agreement with us, will he be meeting with players behind the scenes to sign them to the panthers.

If that is true its disappointing. But hardly unexpected.

Im in the camp who think it can not work if his focus is elsewhere.

People go on about him being a professional etc well thats all well and good but the competitive nature of the sport and the direct competition his future club poses to his current club is something that cant be ignored. Imagine if the CEO of Coke signed on to be CEO of Pepsi with two years left on his Coke contract. I think we all know what Coke would do.

As ive said before, i just hope the ground work is done for someone like McGuire to be brought in if needed.
Its an opinion!

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:42 am

If he is moving on, it is untenable that he can be involved in recruitment. He can tie our cap up on recruits and leave us struggling to sign players he may want to take to Penrith

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:45 am

TIGERPOWER wrote:

Well Penrith have to go through the motions as this is part of the reason NC signed IMO ...the whole thing is bizarre , the Cleary side show is becoming more and more laughable .If Cleary wants out all good Penrith can pay for the privilege and the Tigers sign a coach that is not going to be side tracked for the next 2 seasons ..Why he would want to go back to a place that made it clear they did not want him is also odd.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:48 am

Christ, we can’t have Cleary running off with all our secrets. Other clubs might finally learn the secret about how to miss the finals for 7 consecutive seasons.

Lol

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:59 am

TIGERPOWER wrote:

Ahh the Cleary side show continues....this is totally embarrassing for the Cleary’s....if this is true, then Ivan should seek a release now....it’s funny the guy who coined the phrase on the bus, when the big 4 were in negotiations, here we are a year and a bit later and he is being questioned whether he is on the bus...I say good riddance just like we did to Moses....

willow

Post by willow » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:21 am

Panthers offer Ivan Cleary a three-year deal from 2021

By Adrian Proszenko
19 September 2018 — 12:00am

Penrith are deep in negotiations to bring Ivan Cleary back to the club from 2021 in a move that would place pressure on Wests Tigers to release him immediately.

Cleary is contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2020 but Fairfax Media can reveal that the Panthers are in the process of offering him a three-year deal from 2021. The development comes as his son, gun halfback Nathan, is poised to sign a contract until the end of 2023 - one that would mirror his father’s tenure should he join immediately.

The Clearys have made no secret of their desire to work together and the latest move could result in them again joining forces at the foot of the mountains in the off-season. The family stands to enjoy a $10 million-plus windfall if both Clearys are at the Panthers over the next five years.

The Tigers have every right to force Cleary senior to see out the remainder of his contract after throwing him a lifeline after he was sacked at the Panthers. But the situation will almost certainly become untenable if he has made a long-term commitment to a rival team.

Cleary has done little to douse speculation over his future after it emerged the Panthers wanted him back to replace Anthony Griffin. The former Warriors mentor has refused to take any questions on the issue, having addressed the matter only in a brief written statement after the news broke. The 47-year-old’s mantra at the Tigers has been “on the bus”, but it remains to be seen if the Penrith offer will result him disembarking.

Nathan Cleary had initially outlined his plan to make a call on his future on his 21st birthday, a milestone he reaches in November. However, he told Fairfax Media last weekend that he was keen to fast-track negotiations, hinting “It will be very, very hard to walk away” from the Panthers. Penrith supremo Phil Gould indicated a deal was imminent on the Channel Nine's 100% Footy on Monday night and deal is expected to be formalised and announced by the end of the week.

The Tigers had hoped a Cleary family reunion would occur at Concord and were preparing to make a big-money play once Nathan hit the open market on November 1. However, it now appears they could be without both Clearys in a matter of weeks if Ivan signs with Penrith and requests an immediate release or is asked to move immediately.

The Tigers will likely seek compensation if Cleary wants out, either through player transfers or a financial settlement. Regardless, there are plenty of coaching replacement options. Premiership winners Michael Maguire and Des Hasler are club-less, Trent Barrett is on borrowed time at Manly, Wayne Bennett could consider longer-term options with only a one-year deal at Brisbane, while Kevin Walters, Laurie Daley, Geoff Toovey, Neil Henry, Todd Payten and Justin Holbrook are among the other alternatives.

Although the Tigers missed the finals - they finished in ninth spot - Cleary’s stocks have risen after overseeing a rebuild at a club many tipped to come last. The bond between the Cleary clan is undeniable, as evidenced by Ivan’s decision to donate a kidney to his brother Ash.

However, Cleary senior will come under heavy criticism if he doesn’t commit solely to the Tigers. He convinced a number of the club’s biggest-name recruits to join and play for him, some of them signing long-term deals or subsequently renewing their contracts.

There is also the question of why Cleary would want to go to a club that only recently sacked him. Gould said Cleary was “tired”, ushering in Griffin as his replacement. However, Gould then sacked Griffin with more than two years remaining on his contract, leaving Cameron Ciraldo to oversee the team in a caretaker role over the past six weeks.

It remains to be seen how, and for how long, Gould and Cleary can work together this time around if the later decides to return to his old post.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:22 am

The Patriot wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:37 am
TIGERPOWER wrote:

People go on about him being a professional etc well thats all well and good but the competitive nature of the sport and the direct competition his future club poses to his current club is something that cant be ignored. Imagine if the CEO of Coke signed on to be CEO of Pepsi with two years left on his Coke contract. I think we all know what Coke would do.

As ive said before, i just hope the ground work is done for someone like McGuire to be brought in if needed.
Change Coke Zero to No sugar and put it in a different can....?

Deep negotiations.....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:33 am

When it comes to Ivan the C word comes to mind.That being COMMITMENT WTs need to know NOW if Ivan wants to be part of our future or go back to Penriff and be Goulds b**ch he should either extend or ask for a release so we can move on and build on what we have.The second C word is COMPENSATION if Penriff want him they should suitably compensate WTs by cash payment or player(s) swap.It needs to be sorted now so we can build or roster and move on.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:34 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:48 am
Christ, we can’t have Cleary running off with all our secrets. Other clubs might finally learn the secret about how to miss the finals for 7 consecutive seasons.

Lol
So your happy to have him here for the next 2 years and then run off to Penrith?

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:36 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:22 am
The Patriot wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:37 am
TIGERPOWER wrote:

Change Coke Zero to No sugar and put it in a different can....?

Deep negotiations.....
Always one to add some substance to a topic.

hsvjones

Post by hsvjones » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:43 am

This was always going to happen as I said all along.. He did not comment on this 6 weeks ago because he know the media would bring it up again and make him look silly... You don't read a prepared statement unless its a serious matter and the lawyer helped you prepared it.. he is going and was always going..
Now we just hope the Tigers are not sitting on this and looking at the best coach available and not some rookie again.. McGuire for me as this would help with recruitment.
For me I hope this just get sorted ASAP as i am totally over all this unnecessary rubbish..