Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Geo.

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by Geo. » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:27 pm

Sack em all thread...lol
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

voice of reason

Post by voice of reason » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm guessing both Ivan and Nathan's manager have advised him about the get-out clause. They would be concerned they sign Nathan and suddenly have a change of mind regarding Ivan as coach. I have no doubt at all the only thing on Gould's mind is Nathan's signature.
Totally uninformed opinion is that Nathan with sign with Panthers for 4 years, Ivan will honour his contract with Tigers and as long as Gus doesn't blindside them - they get to work together in 2021.
Perhaps by then Ciraldo might be a decent 1st grade coach with a few fresh ideas and a decent squad at the Tigers to work with.
Suffering supporter since 1967

Post by 851 » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:35 pm

WT2K wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:21 pm
vlad wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:14 pm
And these are the type of things I was alluding to, they are not helping us one bit, we are an innocent victim here, and the one bloke who can end it, stays silent. :x
Go hard or go home

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:39 pm

851 wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:35 pm
WT2K wrote:
vlad wrote:
And these are the type of things I was alluding to, they are not helping us one bit, we are an innocent victim here, and the one bloke who can end it, stays silent. :x
The perception is definitely there that the coach may not be with us next year. This has to be hurting recruitment.
Pascoe needs to have a heart to heart with his mate and if he wants to go just let him and move on.
If we move now thr be coach will still have money and a few spots to fill.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:48 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:22 pm
old man tiger wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:32 pm
Another solution, sound out madge or whoever as head of football, ivan reports to them and recruitment is through them.
So we punting Kelly Egan now too...
Sorry I thought he had a different title. Any old job title will do, like "coaching overlord", "Ivan's new boss", "highly paid coach in waiting".

Liddy

Post by Liddy » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:53 pm

There is no doubt that this situation is killing us and it is not our fault......it stinks.

As long a IC is here, this situation will continue for the next two years.

I just saw Adam O'Brien on 360....very impressive guy.

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:04 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:48 pm
Geo. wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:22 pm
old man tiger wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:32 pm
Another solution, sound out madge or whoever as head of football, ivan reports to them and recruitment is through them.
So we punting Kelly Egan now too...
Sorry I thought he had a different title. Any old job title will do, like "coaching overlord", "Ivan's new boss", "highly paid coach in waiting".
"Blakey"
Last edited by LeichhardtTiger on Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:07 pm

851 wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:35 pm
WT2K wrote:
vlad wrote:
You have to buy into it to believe it isnt helping us ...people in high places in NRL know what the media are and know how to handle them
Its only plebs who get suckered in by the headlines and buy into it are the ones thinking this isnt helping us, thus why we have a 200 page thread

OldMagpie

Post by OldMagpie » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:43 pm

851 wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 4:12 pm
Penrith to offer Cleary 3 year deal, this has gone to far, we need to cut our losses.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control
Oh .... but Gus said he knows nothing about Ivan being offered a deal remember ?( even though he runs the place with an iron fist )

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:47 pm

The Bard wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 11:06 am
News on Nathan’s contact extension a few days after the Panthers 2018 season finishing, and speculative news from multiple media sources (Fox Sports/SMH) that Ivan is negotiating to coach Penrith from 2021 suggests that an understanding of intent from both Cleary’s could of been unofficially resolved some time ago. Ivan’s reading of a carefully prepared statement and unwillingness to discuss was him shutting down the narrative, so the Tigers and Penrith could complete their 2018 seasons.

Benji in a recent article alluded to conversations with Ivan about Ivan’s fear of damage to his reputation is telling. There’s no doubt that if Ivan has been negotiating with Penrith behind the scenes, this will be considered by many as a treasonous and dishonorable act to the Tigers club, players, sponsors and supporters. If this proves correct than I think it’s a situation that’ll pain Ivan, damage his integrity and be eternally regretful for him. But it’s a desision he may be prepared to make such is his strong bond with Nathan and their desire to work together, and that’s understandable it’s just an unusual one that unfortunately leaves the Tigers club as the innocent sufferer in all this, and it’ll be difficult for those in Tigers colours not hold some sort of grudge towards Ivan.

I agree that if Ivan stayed with the Tigers he would preform professionally but the situation simply becomes untenable, and the club is likely to start “drifting” again as Ivan’s relationship dynamic with Tigers players, staff, sponsors and fans begins to shift and highly likely erode and sour as the crux of the problem will be his long term allegiance to Penrith.

If Ivan reaches an agreement to coach Penrith in 2021 then I don’t think the Tigers club has much choice other than to negotiate a settlement and let him go now, and the Tigers try to appoint another coach before November. We have to move on!
What happens then , if Ivan WANTS ,to wait until his contract ends .
The club can’t force him to leave. He has a contract. The Club would have to pay him out!
I’d rather he stayed, but There’s no gaurantee either way
There could be a lot of twists to go yet.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:47 pm

I wonder if the Club will come out with a statement given the latest claims in the media...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:52 pm

TYGA wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 2:57 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 2:50 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
TonyTiger wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 2:40 pm

A lesson for us: don’t resurrect a coach from the scrap heap - they’ll use it as a stepping stone to achieve their goal.. gobfor proven success.
Who do you suggest?
He'll probably suggest Madge - a coach on the scrap heap :lol:
CB I know your a mate of the great Bunny Asprou but Madge is a better coach than Cleary and it’s not even close. He built Souths from the ground up just wore thin after winning a premiership and staying too loyal. He would have learnt from that and wants to stay in Sydney. There won’t be any other jobs for him.

Timing is important. I’d keep Cleary in NSW Cup to work with Hodgo though. Harry may help we need to not be messed with by people wanting to coach little Johnny I. The under 8s.
Haha I was being sarcastic. I'd take Madge in a heartbeat. I was wondering if he would realise the irony of talking about giving out of work coaches a start and then suggest giving an out of work coach a start.

You know Sprouie? I've been trying to organise a round of golf with him for months. A really good bloke, shame he's a bunnies fan haha.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

willow

Post by willow » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:54 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:47 pm
I wonder if the Club will come out with a statement given the latest claims in the media...
I did read in one of the media articles that Pascoe was approached for comment but did not respond.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:56 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
TonyTiger wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 2:40 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 2:31 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 2:12 pm

I think 'Nathan calling the shots' is a bit simplistic. Nathan and Ivan live in the same house. They don't have to have clandestine latte's together. Unless I'm way wrong, they are playing this together to a plan.
Of course they would be planning this together to get the best outcome for both of them. I also think that Mrs C hates Ivan coaching against Nathan, and if putting pressure on Ivan.
I think that if all these media reports are correct Ivan’ Creditable is shot to ribbons.
I also wonder if Pascoe is meeting with Madge behind the scenes in case we do release Ivan.
I hope that the club screws Gus for a much compensation as possible.
A lesson for us: don’t resurrect a coach from the scrap heap - they’ll use it as a stepping stone to achieve their goal.. gobfor proven success.
Who do you suggest?
Watch Out!
I think I just saw someone on the “Grassy Knoll” :lol:

Post by 851 » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:56 pm

Geo. wrote:
Would be nice if they do, not holding my breath though, the Cleary statement was an effort in futility
Go hard or go home

willow

Post by willow » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:59 pm

Didn't see this posted so apologies if it has been previously...

Panthers board endorses Ciraldo to coach in 2019
Author Michael Chammas Chief Reporter Timestamp Wed 19 Sep 2018, 12:38 PM

EXCLUSIVE

The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place.

First Nathan Cleary committed to the Penrith Panthers until 2023, with an official announcement expected at the end of the week.

Now, NRL.com can reveal Cameron Ciraldo will be coach of the club for at least next season after the board recently agreed for the caretaker coach to continue his tenure beyond last week's exit from the finals.

It comes as the Panthers gear up to formally offer Ivan Cleary a three-year deal to return to the club and coach his son from 2021.

But what happens between now and 2021 is expected to be the hottest topic of the summer as conjecture over Ivan Cleary's future returns to the surface.

Cleary, whose Leonay home is no longer for sale, has two more years to run on his contract at the Wests Tigers and has publicly stated he "intends to honour his contract".

If, as the Tigers anticipate, Cleary in the coming weeks or months agrees to a deal with the Panthers from 2021, his intentions may count for very little.

The Panthers, who originally believed Cleary could be at the club in 2019, haven't tried to induce the coach to break his contract since the Tigers fired off a legal letter within days of learning of their appetite to lure Cleary back to the Panthers.

There is still a possibility he will end up at Penrith before 2021 - a move that would result in Ciraldo willingly stepping aside for the man who gave him his first crack at coaching.

But a decision on an early exit rests with the Tigers.

Some at the Tigers are hellbent on ensuring Cleary sees out the final two years of his deal, confident he can still lead the club forward regardless of where his long-term future lies.

"I don't know how many different ways I can say this, but Ivan has a contract here until the end of 2020," chief executive Justin Pascoe said.

Certain Tigers officials believe two years is ample time to come up with a succession plan given there are several NRL clubs with coaches coming off contract at the end of 2019.

However, there is a competing chain of thought. If Cleary accepts a deal with Penrith for 2021, some at the Tigers believe they will have to weigh up whether keeping a departing coach – albeit in two years' time – is in the best interest of the club's long-term aspirations for sustained success.

That could open the door for Cleary to coach Penrith earlier than 2021, but the Tigers hold all the power and won't be railroaded into making a decision to help their western Sydney rivals.

The Tigers were heavily criticised for sacking Jason Taylor just three rounds into last season. It was deemed by many as a rush of blood to appease their off-contract stars. But it was calculated and executed well from start to finish.

Upon reflection, the Tigers showed foresight knowing the best coach available at the time, Cleary, wouldn't be on the market much longer.

If he wasn't going to be Taylor's successor, he would have likely been Des Hasler's at Canterbury later that year.

Former South Sydney premiership-winning coach Michael Maguire is largely considered the best mentor on the open market now.

With uncertainty around the coaching role at Manly, as well as pressure on coaches at several clubs, it's unlikely he will still be available in 2021 to take on a role at the Tigers.

The Tigers could find themselves in a similar predicament in the coming weeks, hence a desire from some to offer Ivan Cleary an extension to see if there is any appetite to remain at the club long term.

If the Tigers try to extend Cleary's deal, it wouldn't be the first time this year the joint venture has discussed extending his contract.

After an impressive opening to the season, the club wanted to begin talks, however Cleary indicated he wanted to wait until season's end so he could focus on the team's campaign.

If Ivan was to return to Penrith, there is still the matter of taking care of the elephant in the room

Those closest to Ivan say he is reluctant to work with Phil Gould as a result of the breakdown in relationship following the Panthers executive general manager's decision to sack him at the end of 2015.

While Gould recently extended his contract with Penrith until the end of 2023, it's expected he will take a step back and lighten his load with the NRL squad to focus on development and pathways if Cleary returned to the club.

Under the set-up at the Panthers, the coach reports to Gould. However it's likely a restructure of the organisation will occur should Cleary come back to finish the job he started in 2012.

As appealing as it would be to link with his son at Penrith, it's hard to ignore the Tigers are a club on the rise.

There's stability at board and management level, membership is on the rise and they are set to record a profit for the first time in the club's history.

And because of the culture the coach has instilled in his 18 months at the club, the team is well equipped to handle the post-Cleary era - even if that is to arrive sooner than they originally anticipated.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:01 pm

We need WT to respond this week.

Sick of this dragging us down. And it is dragging us down, we got some cash to spend, w could get some nice players, but with all this rubbish going on we look bad to potential players and sponsors.

Sort it out Pascoe. We don't really care anymore if IC goes, just make it hurt for Panthers however you can, and get us a coach who will put us first before other people at other clubs (family or not, it's rubbish).
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:01 pm

willow wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:54 pm
Geo. wrote:
I did read in one of the media articles that Pascoe was approached for comment but did not respond.
360 said tonight that Pascoe had told them that nothing has changed and Cleary has two more years at Concord....or something along those lines