Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

LARDS

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by LARDS » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:29 am

Jux wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:32 am
If Brent Reads get out clause tweet is correct, it's game, set and match Ivan
It virtually guarantees Ivan a contract ANYWHERE after 2020 because Nathan will be going with him.
It will suit Weststigers because his commitment to our cause can't be questioned.
If we do well next season, then we can offer an upgrade.
To me this sounds more likely than anything.
I was thinking Nathan would only sign one extension to line up with dads contract but this would be an even better result for them.
Gus will save face as NC will be signed and can only go if its with his dad.
As a tigers fan I would be happy with this too. I think its imperitive we hang on to Ivan. Hes the sort of coach that attracts players.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:33 am

He’s a crap coach ...let him go !

Doesn’t know who his best 17 are .

Hasn't got a clue who’s the best fit for the captency

He’s got no idea about who was the best fit for the hooker position
( until Farah came back)

He signs garbage players like Rochow
Godinet and Marshall .

He can’t get the team up for a semi final berth .

He isn’t focused on the job ..

Piss him off and get Toovey !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:33 am

TYGA wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:03 am
Maybe the POM can confirm but I’m hearing
WT management will sit down with Cleary in the next 2 weeks to table an extension to his contract. If he refuses and commits to the Panthers in 2021 they will sign Maguire and only release Cleary under their own terms.

Tigers prepared to let Cleary sit on the sidelines for 2 years playing full freight.
Panthers will pay to get it done now I feel cash is no concern to them.

The bus has reached the depot time to get on the Maguire Metro.
This is the way I'd go, offer him an extension put the ball in his court and see where he's at.
If he knocks it back then go looking for his replacement immediately and let Ivan go immediately.
If he accepts then we've got ourselves a coach that we know is "on the bus" we can get on with the job.

My thoughts are that Cleary took on this job as the Tigers bus repair man, just to get us back on the road.
Now looking at the window of opportunity at Penrith he thinks he can take them to a GF and do it with his son, it's a new challenge for him a different one than he's had previously, he's normally the "rebuild coach" now he genuinely sees an opportunity to win a premiership with his son.

So lets find out where he's at by offering him an extension.

yeti

Post by yeti » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:34 am

There are good arguments for letting Cleary go early - perhaps getting Maguire - a proven coaching record - a clearer path ahead as far as recruitment goes etc.
I for one, however, hope the Tigers' management stick to their guns and make Ivan see out his contract.
Reasons being - Ivan, regardless of where he is to coach in 2021 and beyond, is still a professional football coach and will do the best he can whilst at the Tigers. And I am convinced he has improved the club in the time he has been coach and I see no reason why that won't continue over the next 2 years.
Second, and more importantly, it sends the message that this club will not be pushed around by anyone - even one of the powerhouses of the League.
For the longer term future of the club, that is vitally important.
More important in fact, than success on the football field this year or next.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:38 am

supercoach wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:31 am
TYGA wrote:
WT management will sit down with Cleary in the next 2 weeks to table an extension to his contract. If he refuses and commits to the Panthers in 2021 they will sign Maguire and only release Cleary under their own terms.

Tigers prepared to let Cleary sit on the sidelines for 2 years playing full freight.

Cleary would have a contract that spells out his job description, the minute the club attempts to change that he has grounds to break the contract. In other words, they can not get another head coach and pay Cleary to do nothing or perform another role. Of course it depends on how the contract is written but it would be very odd if it did not contain a detailed job description
Yeah that sounds like it would involve a straight up repudiation of Cleary's employment contract. We don't have to run him out as first grade coach but if we don't then we can't stand in the way of him leaving.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:40 am

Don Kershane wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:15 am
Might be opportune to look at signing Trent Barrett.Players love him, good football brain , there are some good pickings to be had from the Manly squad and he is the right age group to manage younger players.
Um yeah nah, no to Barrett thanks.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:49 am

TYGA wrote:

That definitely says WT management are not going to be bullied, I have more respect for them every day!

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:50 am

Really at the end of the day it really doesn't matter whose pulling the reigns, he's sitting on a Colt that is maybe capable of a class 3 win at Canterbury on a Wednesday, he won't be steering Winx.

We've got Packerlino for Christ's sake!!
Unless Alex Twal turns into the Burgess brothers and Fafita rolled into one, we're pushing steaming dog poo up hill anyway.
I see no players on the market that are going to provide what we need.

Bellamy would be battling to take this side into the semis.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:11 am

Its not very often one agrees with Laurie Daley, errrr.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e2cfa8fd88
Its an opinion!

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:17 am

If I may, I want to talk about us fans for a moment.

We loved Ivan but that has turned sour. He hasn't yet taken us to the finals but a vast majority of us believed in him and wanted him long term.

Over 200 pages now suggest that as fans, many of us have not only lost the love but resent him being our head coach any longer.

The meeting with Penrith (however harmless we want to believe it was) was the catalyst for this extreme about face from the fans. Silly Ivan.

Right now we are a very disillusioned mob and the club needs to step up.

Ivan has a job now to convince players that he wants to build a winning dynasty here - an impossible task, considering he wants to coach his son at Penrith and build his real winning dynasty over there.
Our position on the open market is shot and the faith of his own players here must be highly dubious. I don't see how this point is arguable. (Note: Benji's comments in this regard are moot. He is only staying for another season and he would play under any coach, surely!)

Whether or not Ivan sits or goes to Panthers is a separate question. So, let's no think of it as conceding to the Panthers just yet.

But we all need to now Ivan is a sitting duck. If he stays on this year and maybe even next year he will bear the brunt from the fans, regardless of results. Being that it will be really difficult to improve our team (based on the above) it is a matter of time before poor results follow and "Ivan Out" signs appear at games. That seems harsh, but it will happen. We are a passionate lot and we want what is best for the Tigers. We all want and need a stable coaching environment, and that cannot be achieved as long as Ivan is about.
The damage is done. I think a good proportion of the fan's appreciate it is irreparable.
As such it is a pretty simple, but really sad equation; if Tigers management want the fans back, Ivan has to go.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:20 am

hobbo wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:33 am
He’s a crap coach ...let him go !

Doesn’t know who his best 17 are .

Hasn't got a clue who’s the best fit for the captency

He’s got no idea about who was the best fit for the hooker position
( until Farah came back)

He signs garbage players like Rochow
Godinet and Marshall .

He can’t get the team up for a semi final berth .

He isn’t focused on the job ..

Piss him off and get Toovey !
Agree. We haven't improved under him either. Despite what the apologists like to claim.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:26 am

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:11 am

More of Gould attempting to up the pressure on the WTs. Same message, different face.

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:28 am

I love Ivan, best coach we have had here, but if its its confirmed he signs with Penrith for 2021 AND we can secure Maguire, I'd jump at that. Im not necessarily sold on Maguire as a Coach but we do need someone with the runs on the board to attract talent.

What a lot of people here seem to be missing though is that Ivan has a contract here for another two years. We can't just "let him go" unless he agrees and if we do we can forget compensation from Penrith, we would be effectively sacking him.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:30 am

tiger05premier wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:12 am
TYGA wrote:

On Newcastle radio this morning the sports update said Manly were deciding on whether to appoint Madge or Cartwright as new head coach

I hope if IC is going we are talking to Madge
Because I have zero trust in the media, I will take from Maguires mouth when he was interviewed a few weeks ago that Manly for him is almost no chance.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:32 am

Whatever happens with all of this the one thing I hope the club does is ensure we have a coach lined up before letting Ivan go. We need an established coach who can take the squad and the club forward.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:35 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:26 am
The Patriot wrote:

More of Gould attempting to up the pressure on the WTs. Same message, different face.
That was my immediate thought as soon as I opened the article. Nothing to see here folks.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:42 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

It's interesting you know, the more media crap i see with the 'Gould stamp of approval' the more I think the Panthers are doing everything in their power to push Ivan away.
To my mind, Cleary would hate all this media BS and the pressure it brings on his family. He would have a good idea where its origins are.
This also indicates to me that this media pressure on Cleary exists for a reason. The only reason for it is, Gould isn't as close to his goal as he'd like the public to think.
Another perspective
"Quality Stupidity"

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:42 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:35 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

That was my immediate thought as soon as I opened the article. Nothing to see here folks.
Laurie Daley knows no more than any of us about the situation.
I prefer to focus on the second article on that link.