Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

TYGA

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by TYGA » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 3:54 pm

THE POM wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:20 pm
Simply if Ivan does not agree to extend his current deal with the club he WILL NOT be the head coach for 2019. Everything should be finalized one way or the other prior to pre-season, but this is affecting recruitment big time & has already cost us one signing.
Exactly what I heard and posted earlier. I am curious which signing did not happen as a result. It will cost us more if it’s not put to bed quickly.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:05 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:59 am
Pascoe should call Gus today and say
“Show me the money “

Ivan should be frog marched out of Concord this arvo !

Seriously....who wants to put up with all this crap for 2 more seasons ?!
You are on the moolah there hobbo.
Sick of hearing about the bloke TBH. A lot of the goings-on in the media are not his doing admittedly but we have a commodity that the Panthers desperately want, it would be stupid not to use that to our advantage and barter with the Pañthers re: getting some player compensation from them in return for letting Ivan rack off from our club a few years early. If we keep him here for 2 more years, and he would rather be at Penrith coaching Nathan, we will be left with nothing from this situation. He won't care how WT perform under his tutelege because he will know he will have a guaranteed job waiting for him at Penrith even if WT finish with 2 wooden spoons in '19 and '20.
Get rid of him now while he is worth something to us.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:21 pm

I hope the club doesnt offer an extension, imo one isnt warranted and doing something to counteract what someone else is doing isnt the correct way these things should be done
This may happen, maybe not...even if it does - unless he accepts this hypothetical extension - I doubt we will even know about it officially

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:23 pm

I must be the only one who doesn’t care about what the Cleary’s do. Ivan has confirmed he’ll see out his contract - that’s good enough for me.

The suggestion that it is wreaking havoc on our recruitment is laughable. Some suggest we lost CHN because of it but we got Ryan Matterson who some say is a better signing anyway.

Even the Pom said previously that contract offers had been made to a few players and that we were hopeful. I can’t remember reading any of Pom’s posts where he was certain of signing players.

If the Wests Tigers offer Ivan an extension and he refuses because he still has 2 more years on his current one, do you really sack him? We’d look proper fools.

I am happy for Ivan to coach us for the next few years but if he leaves, or is sacked, I am happy to support the next bloke.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

TonyTiger

Post by TonyTiger » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:25 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 3:07 pm
851 wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 1:40 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 1:32 pm
supercoach wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 1:01 pm
by
The fact that it is effecting our recruitment is a real issue because at the end of the day it’s the quality of your roster that wins you matches more than who coaches your team.

Our team will go backwards in 2019 without at least two more quality signings. You would also have to assume if CHN was the player we missed that he had some information that Cleary is on the move and being a close friend of NC that is possible.

I get the feeling this will be sorted very soon....with the smart money being on a new coach
Fact?
Because an anonymous username on a forum says so?
It is Pom, he has a great strike rate, but you continue to beleive there is nothing to the story, I have never beleived there was nothing to it.
Gus is laughing at us, and has done for a while now, but we are finally doing something about it, I say about time
Given Ivan's assurances, both with his statement and to Robbie Farah, I am one who thought that there was nothing in this story BUT when I see THE POM write that Cleary won't be coaching us unless he signs an extension, I now believe that this story is real and the club believes it's real. I really thought and continue to think that Ivan is a man of his word but he has only said that he'll be here for the next two years. However, it now seems that it was what he didn't say that was more important than what he did say, that being that he would enter into negotiations with a rival club midway through his tenure. Clearly this is destabilising his current club and the only way for him to salvage his reputation is to sign an extension with us.

What I expect from our head coach is loyalty and entering into negotiations with Penrith at this stage has to be gross disloyalty as he must be fully aware of the instability he is creating. If he can't see this, then his reputation of being a straight arrow is shattered and I'll be quite happy to see him go.

The choice is his and he has set in motion something which now has to go to a conclusion, rather than be allowed to drift. If he chooses Penrith, then he has lied by omission to fans, members, players and his club. If he chooses Wests Tigers by signing an extension, his standing is only restored somewhat given the turmoil this has created and he can only regain his reputation by doing extaordinary things for this club over the rest of his tenure.
Welcome to the dark side

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:34 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:21 pm
I hope the club doesnt offer an extension, imo one isnt warranted and doing something to counteract what someone else is doing isnt the correct way these things should be done
This may happen, maybe not...even if it does - unless he accepts this hypothetical extension - I doubt we will even know about it officially
It's one of the only plays the club has though. I can see how it could impact on recruitment and even if 80% of players don't really care about it (at least not enough to overlook it for money) that won't mean much if the players we're strongly going after are in the 20% that do really care. We need some big signings and big signings are going to get good money wherever they go so things like a good coach, good prospects of a competitive team and club stability are more likely to be a factor. If he extends - even if it's only for 12 months - then that cuts through all the crap that's been in the media and we're back to looking stable in the coaching department and like a club on the up.

It wouldn't be enough now for Cleary to come out and say he's committed, there needs to be something more than that like an extension. I highly doubt he'll sign any extension but I guess that'll mean the club knows exactly where it stands (if it doesn't already).

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:41 pm

innsaneink wrote:
I consider it likely that it's an investigative tactic rather than necessarily desperate to get Ivan booked for longer.

You ask the employer if they have received other offers, and if they say yes, you advise that you might be willing to match their offer. If they decline anyway, then you know you've lost your man / woman, because if you can compete financially, then what else is driving the situation? It's evident you cannot provide that "what else", otherwise the person would be happy to extend rather than changing employers, and it tells you something about the employees current state of mind.

yeti

Post by yeti » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:42 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:23 pm
I must be the only one who doesn’t care about what the Cleary’s do. Ivan has confirmed he’ll see out his contract - that’s good enough for me.

The suggestion that it is wreaking havoc on our recruitment is laughable. Some suggest we lost CHN because of it but we got Ryan Matterson who some say is a better signing anyway.

Even the Pom said previously that contract offers had been made to a few players and that we were hopeful. I can’t remember reading any of Pom’s posts where he was certain of signing players.

If the Wests Tigers offer Ivan an extension and he refuses because he still has 2 more years on his current one, do you really sack him? We’d look proper fools.

I am happy for Ivan to coach us for the next few years but if he leaves, or is sacked, I am happy to support the next bloke.
x2

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:53 pm

vlad wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:22 am
tiger05premier wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:08 am
Im probably wrong with what I'm about to say and i don't like what's going on one little bit but here goes

Wouldn't it be funny if IC never ever had any intentions of ever going back to Penrith

The problem being NC sees himself as having unfinished business at Penrith with his mates

Both IC and NC work on getting the best deal they can for NC at Penrith with a clause regarding IC future

Once NC has agreed to the deal IC than recommits to tiger's

When NC goals at Penrith are reached he joins his dad at tiger's

Unlikely but would be nice just to see gus played for the fool
Gus’s head would explode .
Gus's head is full of puss.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

Red Rugby

Post by Red Rugby » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:29 pm

I'll start by saying that I think Ivan has improved the side since taking over. So that's a tick. Though given the results for the years before that, it would have been hard to go backwards.

Having said that he's not the messiah. He's got a worse than 50% success rate.

Two things to consider. He left the Warriors a year early to head back to the Panthers when Phil Gould labelled him the best young coach in the business (on the back of his success with the Warriors). The second isn't Cleary related but is Penrith related. Cast your minds back to the Tim Sheens reign, the Panthers came for him (Sheens) in a big way and the Tigers blinked by offering Tim Sheens an upgrade and an extension (we all know how that turned out!).

Maybe the Tigers shrug their shoulders and force the issue. If you want him Penrith, this is what it's going to cost....

It's a big risk for Ivan. He's put all of his eggs in the Penrith basket and if it doesn't work out, he'll struggle to get another NRL job ever.

For the sake of context. The Tigers have got really good building blocks. I don't think they'll struggle for another coach. The tricky thing is getting the right one. After all there's only 16 of those jobs to go round.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:44 pm

i really had high hopes when we signed IVAN, and i think he has done a fine job in the 1st year, but the MAN THAT I THOUGHT HE WAS has turned out to be IVAN THE TERRIBLE. HE HAS BETRAYED all tiger supporters just so he can coach his son the bloke must have no morals at all, after been sacked, he is willing to crawl back to where they kicked him to the gutter. i dont want him here for 2 years then run off, u have destroyed everything u have build in the last year ivan, u and ur family must be very shallow to be willing to destroy what u claimed to be GET ON THE BUS, NOW i just want to throw u and ur son under the bus. time for the COE to give him his marching orders and get what ever we can from GUS.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:44 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:33 am
He’s a crap coach ...let him go !

Doesn’t know who his best 17 are .

Hasn't got a clue who’s the best fit for the captency

He’s got no idea about who was the best fit for the hooker position
( until Farah came back)

He signs garbage players like Rochow
Godinet and Marshall .

He can’t get the team up for a semi final berth .

He isn’t focused on the job ..

Piss him off and get Toovey !
I wonder if Ivan bails will he overtake Taylor and Lamb as Wests Tigers most despised coach...Sure both Taylor and Lamb were limited in their coaching ability but you can't question their commitment to the Club and it's players and fans alike....

I also like the idea of Tooves mentioned a while back ...he's a good coach who was shafted by Manly for other reasons IMO....can then change my sig from Ivan's Laws to Needs to be an investigation into this... :lol:
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:53 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:41 pm
innsaneink wrote:
I consider it likely that it's an investigative tactic rather than necessarily desperate to get Ivan booked for longer.

You ask the employer if they have received other offers, and if they say yes, you advise that you might be willing to match their offer. If they decline anyway, then you know you've lost your man / woman, because if you can compete financially, then what else is driving the situation? It's evident you cannot provide that "what else", otherwise the person would be happy to extend rather than changing employers, and it tells you something about the employees current state of mind.
Yes,
I agree,
But I think there are legal reasons behind it to.
If it’s an ultimatium put to Ivan it’s got to the point that the trust has been broken.
We need Ivan to ask to walk, not be asked to.
Nothing will come financial if we make the first move.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:54 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:44 pm
i really had high hopes when we signed IVAN, and i think he has done a fine job in the 1st year, but the MAN THAT I THOUGHT HE WAS has turned out to be IVAN THE TERRIBLE. HE HAS BETRAYED all tiger supporters just so he can coach his son the bloke must have no morals at all, after been sacked, he is willing to crawl back to where they kicked him to the gutter. i dont want him here for 2 years then run off, u have destroyed everything u have build in the last year ivan, u and ur family must be very shallow to be willing to destroy what u claimed to be GET ON THE BUS, NOW i just want to throw u and ur son under the bus. time for the COE to give him his marching orders and get what ever we can from GUS.
:lol: this has to be a gee up.....
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:12 pm

Swordy wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:54 pm
bp tiger wrote:
:lol: this has to be a gee up.....
Some meltdown eh?

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:16 pm

Geo. wrote:
hobbo wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:33 am
He’s a crap coach ...let him go !

Doesn’t know who his best 17 are .

Hasn't got a clue who’s the best fit for the captency

He’s got no idea about who was the best fit for the hooker position
( until Farah came back)

He signs garbage players like Rochow
Godinet and Marshall .

He can’t get the team up for a semi final berth .

He isn’t focused on the job ..

Piss him off and get Toovey !
I wonder if Ivan bails will he overtake Taylor and Lamb as Wests Tigers most despised coach...Sure both Taylor and Lamb were limited in their coaching ability but you can't question their commitment to the Club and it's players and fans alike....

I also like the idea of Tooves mentioned a while back ...he's a good coach who was shafted by Manly for other reasons IMO....can then change my sig from Ivan's Laws to Needs to be an investigation into this... :lol:
If Ivan bails he’ll be the scum of the earth !

Our softies couldn’t handle Madge so Toovey is my choice !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:25 pm

Did anyone catch Brooks on NRL tonight? Only caught some of it and only managed to hear him say in response to Cleary questions...he’s used to speculation...is not as bothered not knowing Cleary’s future with Tigers....loves Ivan as coach and what he’s done for his game (along the lines of)

Also came across this a bit earlier and thought it was interesting enough to share
Attachments
10F2A096-8454-421F-97E5-0228F477ED96.jpeg
10F2A096-8454-421F-97E5-0228F477ED96.jpeg (108.35 KiB) Viewed 233 times

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:28 pm

If this has already cost us a quality player (as suggested) it has gone on too long.