Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Spud Murphy

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:32 pm

Swordy wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:44 pm
Even the worst coach won't be thinking about their plans in 2 years, their reputation is today. They aren't the solitary man in recruiting, not ideal, but it's not wrist slashing time.

And we all know the Gould might even change his mind before the time came anyway.

As with any player (many of whom sign 12 months ahead of time), they need to do their best to protect their brand. Ivan Cleary is no different,
Yes!!

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:41 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Hes not standing up for anyone, he’s just trying to stir things up again , as it’s died down in the last couple of days, and it’s in his interest that its kept churning over and over again, being talked about and argued about,
When not much is happening , it’s easy to pick a side , and bake the other side and get the public talking about it again.
Sells papers, especially if one side bites.

I bet it would worry Ivan if he lost Hoopers respect . :roll

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:57 pm

vlad wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:31 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:45 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Madge has demanded too many things in regards to staff etc for Manly’s liking.
Remember the Penn’s are watching the pennies and don’t like spending anything.
Plastic chairs ?
No a new BBQ.
I think that I posted the article from the SMH in the “Who do we target” thread.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:05 pm

krayola wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:00 pm
If Ivan leaves he is making a mistake. His talk has proven to be very cheap and his actions, ultimately, self-serving.
I think he has a lot of respect, it could be his last contract

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:16 pm

I’m struggling to work out the truth from the lies in this situation, Ivan was seen as the saviour for WT when he was appointed,so far nothing has changed in real time, we have two good signings from roosters, Ivan has said he is staying for two more years minimum, I believe that he is a man of integrity so would not be slitting wrists yet

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:21 pm

rex2ce wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:16 pm
I’m struggling to work out the truth from the lies in this situation, Ivan was seen as the saviour for WT when he was appointed,so far nothing has changed in real time, we have two good signings from roosters, Ivan has said he is staying for two more years minimum, I believe that he is a man of integrity so would not be slitting wrists yet
I wonder when the signings he has made are due to expire with us.
If Mbye, Matterson and co are all off contract in 2021 id be a little concerned.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:47 pm

Swordy wrote:
Even the worst coach won't be thinking about their plans in 2 years, their reputation is today. They aren't the solitary man in recruiting, not ideal, but it's not wrist slashing time.

And we all know the Gould might even change his mind before the time came anyway.

As with any player (many of whom sign 12 months ahead of time), they need to do their best to protect their brand. Ivan Cleary is no different,
Would that be because no coach has a contract with another club in 2 years time?

If he signs with Penrith mid contract with us, like he did when he was the warriors coach, then we gotta get someone else. Sooner rather than later.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:57 pm

I think everyone is missing the point.
By even giving the perception of signing two years out you are forcing a release without looking like the bad guy. Cleary and Gus are forcing the Tigers hand. The Media for once are calling this out. Cleary should be a man and demand a release but he wants to retain moral high ground. Are we seriously thinking a professional coach think of Bill Bellichik would leave New England to coach his son.
WT are being treated like a door mat and Cleary is the person to blame. He knows staying silent and not answering questions is designed to keep his options open and keep his image intact. They didn’t account for a media in particular fox that have been after should for years. I don’t think Gus and Ivan care tbh.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:02 pm

Has Cleary signed with the Panthers?
What happens if Cleary signs with them for when his current contract runs out and tells no-one?
"Quality Stupidity"

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:10 pm

TYGA wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:57 pm
By even giving the perception of signing two years out you are forcing a release without looking like the bad guy. Cleary and Gus are forcing the Tigers hand. The Media for once are calling this out. Cleary should be a man and demand a release but he wants to retain moral high ground. Are we seriously thinking a professional coach think of Bill Bellichik would leave New England to coach his son.
WT are being treated like a door mat and Cleary is the person to blame. He knows staying silent and not answering questions is designed to keep his options open and keep his image intact. They didn’t account for a media in particular fox that have been after should for years. I don’t think Gus and Ivan care tbh.
I think you are on the money TYGA

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:11 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:02 pm
Has Cleary signed with the Panthers?
What happens if Cleary signs with them for when his current contract runs out and tells no-one?
Good on him if he achieves that

Highly doubt he will

voice of reason

Post by voice of reason » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:12 pm

I'd be amazed if there wasn't a 'no Ivan get out clause'. Surely the Clearys aren't that naive. Nathan signs and Gus pulls Ivan's offer. Without that clause, I don't see them being together at the Panthers - Gus can't be trusted and Ivan should be the most untrusting.
Suffering supporter since 1967

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:19 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:12 pm
I'd be amazed if there wasn't a 'no Ivan get out clause'. Surely the Clearys aren't that naive. Nathan signs and Gus pulls Ivan's offer. Without that clause, I don't see them being together at the Panthers - Gus can't be trusted and Ivan should be the most untrusting.
The Clearys will unite at Penrith next year.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:29 pm

TYGA wrote:
This!!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:33 pm

Balmainian wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:21 pm
rex2ce wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:16 pm
I wonder when the signings he has made are due to expire with us.
If Mbye, Matterson and co are all off contract in 2021 id be a little concerned.
Youre concerned?
Signings made months apart, with an apparent view im assuming to Cleary taking them to Penrith with him in two years time...all designed to fit the balance of that squad and their cap without knowing who is recruited, released & retired in the meantime???

That would be some feat!

:deadhorse:

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:36 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:29 pm
TYGA wrote:
This!!
x2
No more plodders!
:sign:

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:47 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 5:47 pm
Swordy wrote:

Would that be because no coach has a contract with another club in 2 years time?

If he signs with Penrith mid contract with us, like he did when he was the warriors coach, then we gotta get someone else. Sooner rather than later.
You're presuming no other coach has ever done this or sounded out other clubs without telling the public. To presume this has never happened is naive.

Seibold to Broncos 2020. You don't think that hasn't been discussed, just as an example?
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Post by 851 » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:51 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:27 pm
Well...as Pascoe noted, half the clubs dont have a coach lined up past next year...so there will be a lot of off-contract, confused & turned off NRL players about
But none of those coaches have a contract with a rival team for the end of their current contract, huge, huge difference
Go hard or go home