Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

supercoach

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by supercoach » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:59 am

Coaches like players are all replaceable. So when the time comes there will be plenty of people keen to take on the role. IMO I would be looking at the next generation of coaches rather than the tried and trusted. The bloke at Souths has done a brilliant job this year and last year he was a nobody.

In a way I hope the Panthers get knocked out this weekend so all this can be put to bed as you would think they would announce what coaching direction they are taking.

Anyway if he stays, and he is long odds he will, two years is a lifetime in the NRL and anything could happen. So I would not be worrying about what our coaching situation is two years down the track

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:28 am

supercoach wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:59 am
Coaches like players are all replaceable. So when the time comes there will be plenty of people keen to take on the role. IMO I would be looking at the next generation of coaches rather than the tried and trusted. The bloke at Souths has done a brilliant job this year and last year he was a nobody.

In a way I hope the Panthers get knocked out this weekend so all this can be put to bed as you would think they would announce what coaching direction they are taking.

Anyway if he stays, and he is long odds he will, two years is a lifetime in the NRL and anything could happen. So I would not be worrying about what our coaching situation is two years down the track
I'm not sure he is long odds to stay until the end of his contract. At the moment I'm assuming he will stay. He might sign elsewhere past that point and that is fine.

I don't see the need though to make this into some big deal. We are improving as a club but that isn't all on Ivan. I think it's more on Pascoe and Go. Ivan to me has been great but we aren't playing in the finals or being considered serious contenders for the title. I think often coaches have to be replaced as they become too aligned to certain players or the players just need to have a different look.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:31 am

supercoach wrote:

Spot on "supercoach" - a month is a lifetime in the NRL, let alone 2 years.

If he stays and I am sure he will (he said so), I believe he will do the job to the best of his ability. Whether he stays after his current contract is up, who knows.

If he doesn't stay after the two years, I would be hoping there are better options out there than Madge. At the moment there isn't and that is a concern.

Cleary will not do the wrong thing by us - I believe it is not in his nature to do stuff like that.

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:53 am

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:21 pm
TYGA wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:15 pm
There are no conspiracies Cleary will be back at Penrith in 2021 and Nathan will sign there.
He will leave us in a better position than he started and we move on. He will resign Brooks, Marsters and bring in a few players.
We will be stronger and in a position to probably upgrade the coach.
IF that is the case , are we better off moving NOW and getting the best coach available NOW instead of seeing them all pinched off the market and being left with a lesser quality option at that stage

It's a tough question but it needs serious looking at and serious answers
Why are people so certain Cleary will be at Penrith in 2021 ? That would mean that Penrith will appoint a coach to keep the seat warm for two years. They have a roster capable of winning the premiership now. It doesn't make sense that they would not appoint the best man for the job for at least three years.

And what happens if the seat warmer wins Penrith two premierships ? Are they going to dump him anyway and appoint Cleary for 2021 ? Like supercoach says, two years is a long time in the NRL.

The only reason I can think of for Cleary and Penrith agreeing to take the position in 2021 would be to force the Tigers to release him now. Pascoe and Go have both said that Ivan will not be given a release. If so, then Penrith would be stuffed.

In any event, Ivan has already said in his statement that he has not received any offers from Penrith, so for the time being, I'm prepared to believe him.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:53 am

Russell wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:31 am
supercoach wrote:

Spot on "supercoach" - a month is a lifetime in the NRL, let alone 2 years.

If he stays and I am sure he will (he said so), I believe he will do the job to the best of his ability. Whether he stays after his current contract is up, who knows.

If he doesn't stay after the two years, I would be hoping there are better options out there than Madge. At the moment there isn't and that is a concern.

Cleary will not do the wrong thing by us - I believe it is not in his nature to do stuff like that.
x2

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:57 am

Next year is key, need to see further improvement and must make top 6 (not just scrape in). If we can’t do this a new coach is needed anyway.

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:05 am

AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:57 am
Next year is key, need to see further improvement and must make top 6 (not just scrape in). If we can’t do this a new coach is needed anyway.
Top 6? Thats a stretch. And sacking the coach if it doesn't eventuate?

Have you seen our playing list versus the current top 6 teams?

A scrape into the top 8 and keeping the coach will be fine by me.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:52 am

fibrodreaming wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:53 am
happy tiger wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:21 pm
TYGA wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:15 pm
There are no conspiracies Cleary will be back at Penrith in 2021 and Nathan will sign there.
He will leave us in a better position than he started and we move on. He will resign Brooks, Marsters and bring in a few players.
We will be stronger and in a position to probably upgrade the coach.
IF that is the case , are we better off moving NOW and getting the best coach available NOW instead of seeing them all pinched off the market and being left with a lesser quality option at that stage

It's a tough question but it needs serious looking at and serious answers
Why are people so certain Cleary will be at Penrith in 2021 ? That would mean that Penrith will appoint a coach to keep the seat warm for two years. They have a roster capable of winning the premiership now. It doesn't make sense that they would not appoint the best man for the job for at least three years.

And what happens if the seat warmer wins Penrith two premierships ? Are they going to dump him anyway and appoint Cleary for 2021 ? Like supercoach says, two years is a long time in the NRL.

The only reason I can think of for Cleary and Penrith agreeing to take the position in 2021 would be to force the Tigers to release him now. Pascoe and Go have both said that Ivan will not be given a release. If so, then Penrith would be stuffed.

In any event, Ivan has already said in his statement that he has not received any offers from Penrith, so for the time being, I'm prepared to believe him.
As I said to Ink I'm just putting it out there , if the club knows Cleary wants out , we might need to be pro active with the coaching market in the shape it currently is ,true ??

Might be far worse in two years time ??

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:15 am

Roar Power wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:05 am
AnnandaleTiger wrote:

If he can only assemble a team that scrapes in then he's not the man for the job.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:28 am

It looks like Cleary is not on the ‘ex-captain-born again WT’ approved list, as his supporters keep reminding us :deadhorse:

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:28 am

gallagher wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:15 am
Roar Power wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:05 am
AnnandaleTiger wrote:

If he can only assemble a team that scrapes in then he's not the man for the job.
Fair enough but I dont think that is realistic for 2019. I would be more confident about that in 2020.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 2:49 pm

There's that next years next year confidence in the heart of every Wests Tigers fan.....

As long as next year is not a drifting year...oh..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:05 pm

this thing regarding peachey been on the tigers wish list should he get a release, is confusing. if now ivan thinks he would be good for the club then why where we not getting him before he signed with the titans. was it the fact ivan was hoping he would be at the panthers and wasnt worried about chasing him. just smells some what. the same goes for cory didnt chase him because ????, because as day follows night that deal was done a long time ago, got that from a friend at the dogs.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:17 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:05 pm
this thing regarding peachey been on the tigers wish list should he get a release, is confusing. if now ivan thinks he would be good for the club then why where we not getting him before he signed with the titans. was it the fact ivan was hoping he would be at the panthers and wasnt worried about chasing him. just smells some what. the same goes for cory didnt chase him because ????, because as day follows night that deal was done a long time ago, got that from a friend at the dogs.
Gotta remember the deal was done a long time ago. Brennan is close with a lot of Penrith players, hence why Cartwright and Rein made the trip, and we had Suli and Milne for depth on the left. It's different now with the need for a utility and the lack of depth in the centres and back row, hence why I'm sure we'd be looking at him now.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:34 pm

Magneto did it with a magic bullet. ..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

cochise

Post by cochise » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:58 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Who said we didn't chase the both of them?

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:12 pm

cochise wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:58 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Who said we didn't chase the both of them?
Exactly!

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:39 pm

jrtiger wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:17 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Gotta remember the deal was done a long time ago. Brennan is close with a lot of Penrith players, hence why Cartwright and Rein made the trip, and we had Suli and Milne for depth on the left. It's different now with the need for a utility and the lack of depth in the centres and back row, hence why I'm sure we'd be looking at him now.
Surely Cartwright been in his ear saying things aren't always bright on the other side.