Luke Brooks

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2712
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Re: Luke Brooks

Post by diedpretty » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 6:45 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am
diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did??
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Ok so i shouldn't use the two best halves in the world as a yardstick. You say Thurston was ordinary yet he was no. 1 in try assists and linebreak assists for 2018. Cronk although not up to his Melbourne level was no 1 in kicks and kick metres plus i don't think his experience can be understated as a factor in the rorters making the grand final.


Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 6:54 pm

Harvey wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 4:21 pm
So according to today’s paper there was a superstar trying to recruit a player to his club at the dally M’s. Said he would speak up to coach and recruitment team.

Would be keen to know whether it was Teddy to Brooks considering that all the roosters young gun halves have signed elsewhere.

They’re going to need a half in 2020, and there are not many on the market
Didn’t you see Brooks up there on stage talking to Munster, that must of been it!

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6427
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:17 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 6:45 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am
diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did??
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Ok so i shouldn't use the two best halves in the world as a yardstick. You say Thurston was ordinary yet he was no. 1 in try assists and linebreak assists for 2018. Cronk although not up to his Melbourne level was no 1 in kicks and kick metres plus i don't think his experience can be understated as a factor in the rorters making the grand final.
So youre saying, that up to the last few games, that Thurston wasnt giving a great impersonation of a player who'd had one season too many
and Cronk was being called a dud buy from many ,
Thurston has been the best half in the world for a long while. but you would have to be be pretty one eyed to say that in the season just ended he was.

Im far from the only one that was questioning his decision to continue this year. for most of the season it was justified,
he got into gear in the last few games and was back closer to his best then,
Im not one of those who were calling Cronk a dud buy for the Roosters either , but it took the greater part of the season, to get himself and the team on to the same page'

if you think that they were both at their best this year, go for it.
I just hope that Brooks is one day as good as those two at their best, he might do it, he might not.
But I think i wont be comparing him with them for a while yet, hes done well this year and doesnt need that sort of pressure on him.
If he can just continue the best that he can be , thats fine

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:10 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:17 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 6:45 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am
diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did??
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Ok so i shouldn't use the two best halves in the world as a yardstick. You say Thurston was ordinary yet he was no. 1 in try assists and linebreak assists for 2018. Cronk although not up to his Melbourne level was no 1 in kicks and kick metres plus i don't think his experience can be understated as a factor in the rorters making the grand final.
So youre saying, that up to the last few games, that Thurston wasnt giving a great impersonation of a player who'd had one season too many
and Cronk was being called a dud buy from many ,
Thurston has been the best half in the world for a long while. but you would have to be be pretty one eyed to say that in the season just ended he was.

Im far from the only one that was questioning his decision to continue this year. for most of the season it was justified,
he got into gear in the last few games and was back closer to his best then,
Im not one of those who were calling Cronk a dud buy for the Roosters either , but it took the greater part of the season, to get himself and the team on to the same page'

if you think that they were both at their best this year, go for it.
I just hope that Brooks is one day as good as those two at their best, he might do it, he might not.
But I think i wont be comparing him with them for a while yet, hes done well this year and doesnt need that sort of pressure on him.
If he can just continue the best that he can be , thats fine
Can’t disagree with that.
The common trait with the Dally M team of the year most years is the player that was in the best form that year generally gets it. Not necessarily the best player in the game but I don’t think many could argue against the fact that Brooks was the most consistent half this year. Each week he had a decent game.
Funnily though his tally of 26 came from two games of 1 point each (one when we were smashed by the raiders) and 8 games of 3 points which means he was only brilliant for a third of the season but in the games he tally’d Dally M points in, he was far and away the best player on field.
Be nice to see how good he can get. I think the sky’s the limit for him.
His game understanding is not up there with other half’s in the game but he seems to be a really good student. When asked on the NRL tonight show they asked him “when you watch an NRL game, do you see it differently as a player compared to the average punter”? I’m sure that question was mean’t as though do you see holes in the defence easier, or call the play before the team puts it on, which you know if it was Moses he’d give a cocky analysis of the game. A humble Brooks instead simply stated “I generally watch the halves, I watch how they set up the plays and manage the team around the park”. Which indicated to me he is still a student of the game and doesn’t think he is a big shot.
I’m sure if you asked him if he was the best half back this year he himself would struggle to agree with it!

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:46 pm

Needaname wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:10 pm
Funnily though his tally of 26 came from two games of 1 point each (one when we were smashed by the raiders) and 8 games of 3 points which means he was only brilliant for a third of the season but in the games he tally’d Dally M points in, he was far and away the best player on field.
One thing it points to is we don't win too many games without Brooks playing well.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."


Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:54 pm

Masterton wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:46 pm
Needaname wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:10 pm
Funnily though his tally of 26 came from two games of 1 point each (one when we were smashed by the raiders) and 8 games of 3 points which means he was only brilliant for a third of the season but in the games he tally’d Dally M points in, he was far and away the best player on field.
One thing it points to is we don't win too many games without Brooks playing well.
Highlights how much he can actually have an influence on the result.
Sounds like he is on his way to becoming our most important player in each game and our marquee player.

User avatar
Dan Blanco
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 7:31 am

Post by Dan Blanco » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:37 pm

Brooks' utility @ our club is invaluable.

Balmainian
Member
Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by Balmainian » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:55 pm

Gotta extend Brooks Ivan!!!!

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6427
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 29 Sep, 2018 8:23 pm

Needaname wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:10 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:17 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 6:45 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am


Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did??
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Ok so i shouldn't use the two best halves in the world as a yardstick. You say Thurston was ordinary yet he was no. 1 in try assists and linebreak assists for 2018. Cronk although not up to his Melbourne level was no 1 in kicks and kick metres plus i don't think his experience can be understated as a factor in the rorters making the grand final.
So youre saying, that up to the last few games, that Thurston wasnt giving a great impersonation of a player who'd had one season too many
and Cronk was being called a dud buy from many ,
Thurston has been the best half in the world for a long while. but you would have to be be pretty one eyed to say that in the season just ended he was.

Im far from the only one that was questioning his decision to continue this year. for most of the season it was justified,
he got into gear in the last few games and was back closer to his best then,
Im not one of those who were calling Cronk a dud buy for the Roosters either , but it took the greater part of the season, to get himself and the team on to the same page'

if you think that they were both at their best this year, go for it.
I just hope that Brooks is one day as good as those two at their best, he might do it, he might not.
But I think i wont be comparing him with them for a while yet, hes done well this year and doesnt need that sort of pressure on him.
If he can just continue the best that he can be , thats fine
Can’t disagree with that.
The common trait with the Dally M team of the year most years is the player that was in the best form that year generally gets it. Not necessarily the best player in the game but I don’t think many could argue against the fact that Brooks was the most consistent half this year. Each week he had a decent game.
Funnily though his tally of 26 came from two games of 1 point each (one when we were smashed by the raiders) and 8 games of 3 points which means he was only brilliant for a third of the season but in the games he tally’d Dally M points in, he was far and away the best player on field.
Be nice to see how good he can get. I think the sky’s the limit for him.
His game understanding is not up there with other half’s in the game but he seems to be a really good student. When asked on the NRL tonight show they asked him “when you watch an NRL game, do you see it differently as a player compared to the average punter”? I’m sure that question was mean’t as though do you see holes in the defence easier, or call the play before the team puts it on, which you know if it was Moses he’d give a cocky analysis of the game. A humble Brooks instead simply stated “I generally watch the halves, I watch how they set up the plays and manage the team around the park”. Which indicated to me he is still a student of the game and doesn’t think he is a big shot.
I’m sure if you asked him if he was the best half back this year he himself would struggle to agree with it!
You’re right,
Just another reason that most would love to see Brooks go as high as possible rather than see Moses get there

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3270
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:40 am

Any updates on a new contract for Brooks?

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29716
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:47 am

No.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29902
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 5:00 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:40 am
Any updates on a new contract for Brooks?
3 year extension on the table...

No stufing around this time Issac please...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3270
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 8:30 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 07 Oct, 2018 5:00 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:40 am
Any updates on a new contract for Brooks?
3 year extension on the table...

No stufing around this time Issac please...
Thanks Geo. Good to know. Let's hope he has an upgrade for next year as well.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 8:42 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 07 Oct, 2018 8:30 am
Geo. wrote:
Sun 07 Oct, 2018 5:00 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:40 am
Any updates on a new contract for Brooks?
3 year extension on the table...

No stufing around this time Issac please...
Thanks Geo. Good to know. Let's hope he has an upgrade for next year as well.
Agreed he is our priority player extension

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 10:55 am

Nov 1 looms large. No doubt the coaching situation needs to be sorted out before he signs.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22861
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 12:23 pm

I can see this lingering on, potentially into next season. No doubt he’ll be curious to know what he’s worth on the open market, and I’m sure the Roosters, Storm and Broncos will all sniff around him. He’d be in no rush.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29902
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 4:49 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 07 Oct, 2018 12:23 pm
I can see this lingering on, potentially into next season. No doubt he’ll be curious to know what he’s worth on the open market, and I’m sure the Roosters, Storm and Broncos will all sniff around him. He’d be in no rush.
Nope...the kid doesn't want to go anywhere else...Wests Tigers for him...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 4:52 pm

If we are going to sign him up for another 3 seasons lets go get him a good 5/8 partner hey. He cant do it all himself.
Its an opinion!

Post Reply