Luke Brooks

greatodensraven

Re: Luke Brooks

Post by greatodensraven » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 5:36 pm

Be the player others want to play with.

We might just have ourselves a marque player magnet.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 5:59 pm

Great achievement Brooksie regardless of circumstances, something most players can only dream of. Well done.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:14 pm

I know we are all hating on Ivan atm (including myself) but I think he has been the best mentor for Brooks thus far. If we can get another Maddison type signing in the forwards ...Brooks could step up to another level again.
in Ivan we distrust

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:18 pm

Newtown wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 2:55 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:26 am
Newtown wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:14 am
HALFBACK OF THE YEAR: LUKE BROOKS

David Campbell

Four years after he claimed the rookie of the year award, Luke Brooks has claimed a second Dally M gong.

The Tigers halfback experienced the best season of his short career, fulfilling the prodigious potential that has lurked within him for so long.

His rise and improvement under Ivan Cleary played a big part in the joint venture’s revival.

Runners up: Mitchell Pearce, Ash Taylor, Daly Cherry-Evans, Cooper Cronk

Congratulations Luke. I am really glad that the Dally M judges are much better judges than some on this forum. What happened to Nathan Cleary? Hundreds of pages on this forum and he is not even a runner-up.
Glad Luke won - deserved it.

I think Cleary being out injured for 8+ weeks didn't help his points tally.

Put the boot in, but let's be fair and honest.
Luke Brooks was awarded 26 Dally M points whilst Nathan Cleary was awarded only 7 Dally M points (source Daily Telegraph). Given that Cleary was out injured for 9 weeks he would have had to score an average of 2 points in every one of those 9 weeks to pip Brooks by one point. I think that would have been somewhat unlikely.
Does that include games he missed due to other commitments , such as SOO?

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:39 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 5:08 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 2:44 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 2:20 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 11:02 am

He was also playing at least the last five rounds after his coach had commenced discussions with a rival club to break his contract, which soon cast a shadow over the whole team. Possibly a big factor in not securing more votes in that critical period.
Opinion not fact
So was Ivan lying about having discussions (his words per statement) with Penrith, and/or, why would anyone from the club mention WT will not be releasing him?

The known fact is he has a contract with WT, so if you know of any other contract that Ivan may have other than the NRL coaching position, it would be great if you could let everyone know and then there will be another contract which he can be released from.
I personally find it irrelevant, whether or not Cleary was or was not negotiating with another club.

I commend Brooks for his performances this year, really happy for him. He needs to get better again if he has any ambition of being a true Tigers (or NRL) star. That includes playing well despite off-field noise. There's no excuse, there's just the fact that he didn't poll points when we know those were clutch games for the team. Halfbacks really should be polling in those games.
Whilst I was and am still after a response from Jad, I must say that that your response seems disingenuous.

From many it would be easily accepted, but when you have written opinion on the importance of forwards laying a foundation and often break down essay like posts to point out detail that affect games, dismissing a the effects of a relatively major upheaval on the playing squad as irrelevant just doesn't cut it.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:47 pm

Question;
How many first choice halfbacks in the NRL earn less than $550?
in Ivan we distrust

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:03 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:47 pm
Question;
Brodie Croft (definitely)
Chad Townsend (probably about $500K)
Aiden Sezer (probably about $500K)
Lachlan Lewis (definitely)
Kodi Nikorima (definitely)
Adam Reynolds (probably about $550K)

DCE, Moses, Morgan, Taylor, Johnson, Cleary, Pearce, Hunt and Cronk all earn well over $550K.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:30 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:28 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:02 am
hsvjones wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 11:29 pm
That will add another 100k+ to his next contract... Well done to him and hope he resigns soon with us.
He is only on $550. I think the upgrade will be more the $100k
Think this should take him up to 850k myself.

When you see what some of the half backs are on e.g. Hunt, Taylor etc.
Yea i agree - i think we are looking at somewhere in the range of 750 - 850k to keep him. And i would definitely be upgrading his contract for next year.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:37 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:30 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:28 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:02 am
hsvjones wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 11:29 pm
That will add another 100k+ to his next contract... Well done to him and hope he resigns soon with us.
He is only on $550. I think the upgrade will be more the $100k
Think this should take him up to 850k myself.

When you see what some of the half backs are on e.g. Hunt, Taylor etc.
Yea i agree - i think we are looking at somewhere in the range of 750 - 850k to keep him. And i would definitely be upgrading his contract for next year.

Id like to think that they will stat at 700k and possibly go to 750k as a top dollar.

Im not sure he is worth more than that. Still has a bit to prove.
Its an opinion!

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:41 pm

MagpieFan wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 10:55 am
Rothfield on NRL360 last night:
Coach of the Year: Buzz picked Trent Robinson - Siebold won
Captain of the Year: Buzz picked RTS - Cam Smith won
Rookie of the Year: Buzz picked Jesse Ramien - Isaako won
Female Player: Buzz picked Isabelle Kelly - Brittany Breayley won
Buzz picked none from four picks so dont pay attention to that muppet.

Brooks was the best halfback in 2018, but it was a weak season for halfbacks in general (Id say only Brooks and Townsend are the only two halfbacks who had their best season of their career) and add a touch of luck with Pearce and Cleary being injured for big chunks of the year. The upside is there is still alot of improvement in Brooks game, looking forward to further improvement and consistency in 2019.
And yet Cronk and Thurston played every game - and they are supposedly the two best in the game.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:10 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:41 pm
MagpieFan wrote:

Brooks was the best halfback in 2018, but it was a weak season for halfbacks in general (Id say only Brooks and Townsend are the only two halfbacks who had their best season of their career) and add a touch of luck with Pearce and Cleary being injured for big chunks of the year. The upside is there is still alot of improvement in Brooks game, looking forward to further improvement and consistency in 2019.
And yet Cronk and Thurston played every game - and they are supposedly the two best in the game.
They were. However Thurston had played 1 year too many. Cronk was good towards the end of the season, at the start not so much.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:41 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:41 pm
MagpieFan wrote:

Thurston was terrible (along with the rest of the Cowboys)for a big chunk of the season this year, and Cronk Wasnt anywhere near his best for at least the first half of the season,

it took quite a while for him to get to know the Roosters game , and the way that they played ,and vice versa, Getting near the later games both were back to near their best, but any DM points that either received in the first half of the year must have been out of sympathy,

Brooks beat what was there , and hopefully he may have gained confidence from that , which may help to get better at the things like managing a team on the field, and his kicking game near the line.
I hope that he comes out next year and tears it up

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:54 pm

formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:39 pm
jirskyr wrote:
formerguest wrote:
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 2:20 pm

Opinion not fact
So was Ivan lying about having discussions (his words per statement) with Penrith, and/or, why would anyone from the club mention WT will not be releasing him?

The known fact is he has a contract with WT, so if you know of any other contract that Ivan may have other than the NRL coaching position, it would be great if you could let everyone know and then there will be another contract which he can be released from.
I personally find it irrelevant, whether or not Cleary was or was not negotiating with another club.

I commend Brooks for his performances this year, really happy for him. He needs to get better again if he has any ambition of being a true Tigers (or NRL) star. That includes playing well despite off-field noise. There's no excuse, there's just the fact that he didn't poll points when we know those were clutch games for the team. Halfbacks really should be polling in those games.
Whilst I was and am still after a response from Jad, I must say that that your response seems disingenuous.

From many it would be easily accepted, but when you have written opinion on the importance of forwards laying a foundation and often break down essay like posts to point out detail that affect games, dismissing a the effects of a relatively major upheaval on the playing squad as irrelevant just doesn't cut it.
Not disingenuous at all.

All we know for sure is Penrith spoke to Cleary about a coaching role - that's the only thing truly verified. You can call that "discussions" but it doesn't necessarily involve intention to break a contract. Cleary came out a week later and confirmed he was committed to his contract.

Brooks has an opportunity every day of the week to chat to Cleary about the coaching situation, to potentially reassure himself it he has concerns.

Cleary didn't go anywhere then, nor has he gone anywhere since.

Now I can understand if that might be a little distracting, but you go out on the field and you play football. Better players put distractions behind them. Benji played this year just after his Grandad died and frankly that's far more immediate and distressing than paper talk over where your coach might be in 2019.

So I don't accept an excuse that Brooks may have polled poorly the last few weeks because he might have been distracted by the coaching talk. If he was, then it's not good enough. They were key games for the Tigers and to be off your game for such a flimsy reason is concerning.

Now personally I don't believe any such thing is true. I believe Brooks tried his best, but he didn't really stamp his authority in those key matches - particularly the Dragons game. Not all his fault, but also an indicator of why he ultimately didn't get the Dally M. And that award was legitimately within his reach.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm

You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.

clokan
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by clokan » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 10:32 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
X2, he had a great year, image the potential behind a dominant pack

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 11:01 pm

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 11:48 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:54 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:39 pm
jirskyr wrote:
formerguest wrote:

Not disingenuous at all.

All we know for sure is Penrith spoke to Cleary about a coaching role - that's the only thing truly verified. You can call that "discussions" but it doesn't necessarily involve intention to break a contract. Cleary came out a week later and confirmed he was committed to his contract.

Brooks has an opportunity every day of the week to chat to Cleary about the coaching situation, to potentially reassure himself it he has concerns.

Cleary didn't go anywhere then, nor has he gone anywhere since.

Now I can understand if that might be a little distracting, but you go out on the field and you play football. Better players put distractions behind them. Benji played this year just after his Grandad died and frankly that's far more immediate and distressing than paper talk over where your coach might be in 2019.

So I don't accept an excuse that Brooks may have polled poorly the last few weeks because he might have been distracted by the coaching talk. If he was, then it's not good enough. They were key games for the Tigers and to be off your game for such a flimsy reason is concerning.

Now personally I don't believe any such thing is true. I believe Brooks tried his best, but he didn't really stamp his authority in those key matches - particularly the Dragons game. Not all his fault, but also an indicator of why he ultimately didn't get the Dally M. And that award was legitimately within his reach.
Brooks is one part of a team, with the performance of each affecting the others and a good few of them joined WT to get on Ivan's bus.

Cleary called his talks with Penrith about coaching there "discussions", not me. I am simply quoting him and like Jad, I am interested to know, if they were not about leaving early, why do you think the WT chair spoke about not releasing him, along with the CEO who also recently spoke about Ivan compromising their friendship?

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:04 am

Nelson wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:03 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:47 pm
Question;
Brodie Croft (definitely)
Chad Townsend (probably about $500K)
Aiden Sezer (probably about $500K)
Lachlan Lewis (definitely)
Kodi Nikorima (definitely)
Adam Reynolds (probably about $550K)

DCE, Moses, Morgan, Taylor, Johnson, Cleary, Pearce, Hunt and Cronk all earn well over $550K.
Hey Nelse.
Townsend on the same.
Lewis
Sezer
Croft & Nikorima all on less but not by much except for Lewis.

On the other hand Milford, Moylan, Walker,Munster with the exception of Frawley and Austin. All their halves partners are on considerably more.
I thought walker maybe around the same but a staunch Souths fan of mine tells me they paid massive overs for him when he was off contract last.

Only Munster out of every name above would I consider a more consistent Half than Brooks.

Sorry for the rant.