Luke Brooks

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6427
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: Luke Brooks

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did??
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Last edited by goldcoast tiger on Fri 28 Sep, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29702
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 5:34 am

formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 11:48 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:54 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:39 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 5:08 pm

I personally find it irrelevant, whether or not Cleary was or was not negotiating with another club.

I commend Brooks for his performances this year, really happy for him. He needs to get better again if he has any ambition of being a true Tigers (or NRL) star. That includes playing well despite off-field noise. There's no excuse, there's just the fact that he didn't poll points when we know those were clutch games for the team. Halfbacks really should be polling in those games.
Whilst I was and am still after a response from Jad, I must say that that your response seems disingenuous.

From many it would be easily accepted, but when you have written opinion on the importance of forwards laying a foundation and often break down essay like posts to point out detail that affect games, dismissing a the effects of a relatively major upheaval on the playing squad as irrelevant just doesn't cut it.
Not disingenuous at all.

All we know for sure is Penrith spoke to Cleary about a coaching role - that's the only thing truly verified. You can call that "discussions" but it doesn't necessarily involve intention to break a contract. Cleary came out a week later and confirmed he was committed to his contract.

Brooks has an opportunity every day of the week to chat to Cleary about the coaching situation, to potentially reassure himself it he has concerns.

Cleary didn't go anywhere then, nor has he gone anywhere since.

Now I can understand if that might be a little distracting, but you go out on the field and you play football. Better players put distractions behind them. Benji played this year just after his Grandad died and frankly that's far more immediate and distressing than paper talk over where your coach might be in 2019.

So I don't accept an excuse that Brooks may have polled poorly the last few weeks because he might have been distracted by the coaching talk. If he was, then it's not good enough. They were key games for the Tigers and to be off your game for such a flimsy reason is concerning.

Now personally I don't believe any such thing is true. I believe Brooks tried his best, but he didn't really stamp his authority in those key matches - particularly the Dragons game. Not all his fault, but also an indicator of why he ultimately didn't get the Dally M. And that award was legitimately within his reach.
Brooks is one part of a team, with the performance of each affecting the others and a good few of them joined WT to get on Ivan's bus.

Cleary called his talks with Penrith about coaching there "discussions", not me. I am simply quoting him and like Jad, I am interested to know, if they were not about leaving early, why do you think the WT chair spoke about not releasing him, along with the CEO who also recently spoke about Ivan compromising their friendship?
Hosing down the media speculation...nothing more

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5233
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 8:18 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am
diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did..
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Doesn't matter - he beat who he beat, whoever they are and in 2018 he was the best half playing and that is why he got the Dally M.

Have you overlooked the fact that Thurston and Cronk had much better forwards up front all season than Luke as well or that doesn't come into account.

Good on you Luke - there will always be people that want o bring you down, no matter what you do.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29702
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 8:57 am

Yeah good on him... Massive achievement

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2566
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:06 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 8:18 am

Doesn't matter - he beat who he beat, whoever they are and in 2018 he was the best half playing and that is why he got the Dally M.
In twenty years no one will be talking about weak fields. They'll just know it's the same award that Thurston and Cronk won multiple times. A great achievement.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."


User avatar
mtd
Member
Member
Posts: 2022
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 9:23 am

Post by mtd » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:51 am

Brooks you legend

User avatar
Fibros
Member
Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:23 pm

Post by Fibros » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:11 am

Brooks would be NSW 1/2 if he played for Penrith and NC played for Wests.

I put his form down to a couple of changes. Firstly no Michele Moses crying for more ball. And secondly him being constantly reassured it is his team to take control of.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4132
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:31 am

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 5:34 am
formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 11:48 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:54 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:39 pm


Whilst I was and am still after a response from Jad, I must say that that your response seems disingenuous.

From many it would be easily accepted, but when you have written opinion on the importance of forwards laying a foundation and often break down essay like posts to point out detail that affect games, dismissing a the effects of a relatively major upheaval on the playing squad as irrelevant just doesn't cut it.
Not disingenuous at all.

All we know for sure is Penrith spoke to Cleary about a coaching role - that's the only thing truly verified. You can call that "discussions" but it doesn't necessarily involve intention to break a contract. Cleary came out a week later and confirmed he was committed to his contract.

Brooks has an opportunity every day of the week to chat to Cleary about the coaching situation, to potentially reassure himself it he has concerns.

Cleary didn't go anywhere then, nor has he gone anywhere since.

Now I can understand if that might be a little distracting, but you go out on the field and you play football. Better players put distractions behind them. Benji played this year just after his Grandad died and frankly that's far more immediate and distressing than paper talk over where your coach might be in 2019.

So I don't accept an excuse that Brooks may have polled poorly the last few weeks because he might have been distracted by the coaching talk. If he was, then it's not good enough. They were key games for the Tigers and to be off your game for such a flimsy reason is concerning.

Now personally I don't believe any such thing is true. I believe Brooks tried his best, but he didn't really stamp his authority in those key matches - particularly the Dragons game. Not all his fault, but also an indicator of why he ultimately didn't get the Dally M. And that award was legitimately within his reach.
Brooks is one part of a team, with the performance of each affecting the others and a good few of them joined WT to get on Ivan's bus.

Cleary called his talks with Penrith about coaching there "discussions", not me. I am simply quoting him and like Jad, I am interested to know, if they were not about leaving early, why do you think the WT chair spoke about not releasing him, along with the CEO who also recently spoke about Ivan compromising their friendship?
Hosing down the media speculation...nothing more
Well it did not do a very good job in dousing the flames, having only stated the club's position in relation to Ivan potentially asking to leave early, nothing more. Furthermore, it would be incompetency for both representatives to mention it at all if it was not relevant to the situation.

Hosing down of speculation would have been reasonably served by stating, 'Ivan has assured us that all talks were for 2021 onwards, which he is entitled to discuss', or just about anything else that didn't mention a release. However, any such statement would be a lie if they were otherwise aware.

The situation had some effect on WT late season performance, including Luke, though to what extent none of us are sure. I will understand to some extent if talks at WT are continuing, but if indeed the club is of the position that Ivan never had any talks or intention to want to leave early, then someone's head must roll for allowing something that should have been immediately and adequately addressed, to fester for so long.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29702
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:01 am

Yet people want Cleary to contually reaffirm his position... Pascoe says something.... The media keep going with this & it's not good enough for some.

This is why they're silent

You either buy it or you don't... It's only festering because you don't believe & accept it

Things may change yes.... If and when they do I'll believe it when it's from the club, until then I'll go with what they saying

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6168
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:05 am

formerguest wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:31 am
Well it did not do a very good job in dousing the flames, having only stated the club's position in relation to Ivan potentially asking to leave early, nothing more. Furthermore, it would be incompetency for both representatives to mention it at all if it was not relevant to the situation.

Hosing down of speculation would have been reasonably served by stating, 'Ivan has assured us that all talks were for 2021 onwards, which he is entitled to discuss', or just about anything else that didn't mention a release. However, any such statement would be a lie if they were otherwise aware.

The situation had some effect on WT late season performance, including Luke, though to what extent none of us are sure. I will understand to some extent if talks at WT are continuing, but if indeed the club is of the position that Ivan never had any talks or intention to want to leave early, then someone's head must roll for allowing something that should have been immediately and adequately addressed, to fester for so long.
"Ivan hasn't asked for a release, and even if he had, we wouldn't grant one anyway."
- me paraphrasing.

Pascoe only needs two simple statements - Ivan has not asked to leave and we wouldn't let him. They are the two possible endpoints of any variations to this story and he addressed them both in absolute terms. Anything else is just speculation that the CEO does not need to engage. If Phil Gould didn't have his stupid head in the media, he would be attempting to make the same statements - all the CEOs speak in this manner where possible.

If Pascoe was to have done as you stated, comment about talks for "2021 only" etc. then I believe you open a whole line of questioning towards what in fact was discussed with Penrith, which has never been stated publicly by anyone at Tigers, and throws weight behind the idea that a 2021 transfer is something plausible, concrete, based on actual conversations of some form.

I don't know if you get that part - Tigers don't want to be party to, or speak publicly of, any talks Ivan may or may not have had with Penrith. They don't want to speak of variations based on parties they cannot control. They can only control and speak directly about the Tigers. And if Ivan didn't want to leave early, great, then why all this speculation? Why would anyone's head roll? You seem fixated on some mistake that Tigers have made by making a reference to a release?
Last edited by jirskyr on Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6427
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:09 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 8:18 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am
diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did..
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Doesn't matter - he beat who he beat, whoever they are and in 2018 he was the best half playing and that is why he got the Dally M.

Have you overlooked the fact that Thurston and Cronk had much better forwards up front all season than Luke as well or that doesn't come into account.

Good on you Luke - there will always be people that want o bring you down, no matter what you do.
The Cowboys , with the exception of Taumololo were Crud for most of the year and is fact in the first quarter at least , our forwards were playing better than them.
I’m just saying that neither Cronk and Thurston this year , are any yardstick for comparison on anything

User avatar
hugh1954
Member
Member
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri 17 May, 2013 10:10 pm
Location: Maitland

Post by hugh1954 » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 12:28 pm

I have been a Brooks knocker in the past mainly because they say he has speed and at times i have seen that speed thru the line BUT NEVER enough to satisfy me that there is a will to put his body into those situations. I don't think Thurston had Brook's speed but he was always willing to throw the dummy and go for the hole, Brooks just doesn't seem to do that in the team ??????????????????Enough anyway to be a threat to our opponents

Balmainian
Member
Member
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by Balmainian » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 1:01 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:09 am
Russell wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 8:18 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:17 am
diedpretty wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:55 pm
You're missing the point - would you have said Brooks would poll higher than both Cronk and Thurston at the start of the year. Not only was he voted best halfback but only missed overall Dally M winner by a few points. Those saying it was a poor field are belittling what was a very impressive achievement.
Would you have said that Thurston and Cronk would have played so ordinary for a large portion of the season as they did..
While Im not saying that Brooks hasn’t improved a lot, you can’t get over excited about the fact that he was better than Thurston and to a lesser extent Cronk , when they were both struggling for a big part of the year,,
And no ones belittling what Brooks has done this year, but it’s when you start to use Thurston and Cronk as. A Yardstick; your argument gets a bit hollow.
Brooks Has had a very good year and should be really proud of that, but I think that he’ wouldn’t be making too much out of the fact that he outpolled two very out of form champions.
Most of the half’s this year were playing better than Thurston up until the last few weeks
Doesn't matter - he beat who he beat, whoever they are and in 2018 he was the best half playing and that is why he got the Dally M.

Have you overlooked the fact that Thurston and Cronk had much better forwards up front all season than Luke as well or that doesn't come into account.

Good on you Luke - there will always be people that want o bring you down, no matter what you do.
The Cowboys , with the exception of Taumololo were Crud for most of the year and is fact in the first quarter at least , our forwards were playing better than them.
I’m just saying that neither Cronk and Thurston this year , are any yardstick for comparison on anything
Cronks team playing in a grandfinal in Sunday.

Balmainian
Member
Member
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by Balmainian » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 1:06 pm

hugh1954 wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 12:28 pm
I have been a Brooks knocker in the past mainly because they say he has speed and at times i have seen that speed thru the line BUT NEVER enough to satisfy me that there is a will to put his body into those situations. I don't think Thurston had Brook's speed but he was always willing to throw the dummy and go for the hole, Brooks just doesn't seem to do that in the team ??????????????????Enough anyway to be a threat to our opponents
I thought he tested the line heaps this year.
And took heavy knocks while delivering good line balls on the edge.
Also showed major progress in defence.
The biggest standout for me was his 80 minute performances.
Consistent attacking kicking game.
He didn’t go missing very often this season and I think all of the above is why he got half of the year.

basketcase
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu 25 May, 2017 10:35 am

Post by basketcase » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 1:33 pm

Congratulations to Brooksy on a good season.

I think we need to acknowledge that The last part of the year saw the tigers with a completely new spine with Robie and Mbye. This probably impacted on him the most. The fact Robie and Mbye did make an impact is in no small measure to Brooksy.

Good work Brooksy but the best is to come.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7208
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 2:16 pm

For a lot of the season, Benji helped Brooks a lot, he would sit back and let Brooks do his thing and other times he would step in and take over. Towards the end of the season, Benji was busted and was less help to Brooks and thats when things started to slip.

Next year fingers crossed he has the grub and Benji to help out when needed

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3801
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 4:21 pm

So according to today’s paper there was a superstar trying to recruit a player to his club at the dally M’s. Said he would speak up to coach and recruitment team.

Would be keen to know whether it was Teddy to Brooks considering that all the roosters young gun halves have signed elsewhere.

They’re going to need a half in 2020, and there are not many on the market

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2812
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 4:57 pm

Harvey wrote:
Fri 28 Sep, 2018 4:21 pm
So according to today’s paper there was a superstar trying to recruit a player to his club at the dally M’s. Said he would speak up to coach and recruitment team.

Would be keen to know whether it was Teddy to Brooks considering that all the roosters young gun halves have signed elsewhere.

They’re going to need a half in 2020, and there are not many on the market
They just re-signed Adriam Lams son as a future prospect to take over from Cronk, but we know the Roosters dont just rely on potential.
Its going to be interesting watching how this pans out with Brooks - considering our obsesssion with the Cleary's and trying to make that happen, and now Brook's award we might of shot ourselves in the foot again.

Post Reply