Luke Brooks

goldcoast tiger

Re: Luke Brooks

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:08 am

Harvey wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 6:51 am
Likely to benefit from having a professional coach who is interested in developing him, rather than one who seems better suited to the under 10’s, given his obsession with having his son in the side
Hope that Madge has a different way of handling Brooks than he did with his half at Souths, he made a catch and pass robot out of Reynolds, and it wasn’t till Seibold rescued him that he started to show his real ability again last season,
4 million (if that’s right) will bring a lot of pressure on Luke and I hope
That he handles that well.

While I think he’s better now than previously, I still think that he’s not worth that sort of money( he’s not the only one that isn’t worth that money though) it’s not his fault that we are paying overs, but the worse part of the deal is that we are relying on backloading to do it,(if that’s what’s happening)
I hope he kills it, but if it doesn’t work out, it could get messy; as it has here before.
I thought that we’d learnt our lesson on back ending.
Apparently Not!

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:16 am

mike wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 1:14 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 9:37 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 9:31 pm
mike wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 9:16 pm
Seriously? What exactly does he have to do you in your eyes to be a top class halfback? Represent at SOO or Australian level? What criteria would you accept? Specifics please. Genuinely interested in what makes a top class halfback.
Mike, he can’t control a game.
He literally only had one good game a month last year.
Dally Ms are a nice feather but they certainly do not tell the proper story.
His kicking game is bang average.
He goes missing in big moments.
He throws masses of hospital passes.
His fifth tackle options are just not top class.

Listen, he isn’t SOO or any rep simply because he isn’t good enough. YET.

He very well might get to a higher level, but that will come with playing consistently at the level he plays for that one game a month.

We ALL hope he gets there, but perhaps before shooting down everyone who knocks Brooks, all the Brooks fan club May just want to review last years games (and every other year).
Brooks fans wear rosy glasses every off season. I really don’t know why.
He is good. It’s a good signing.
Let’s not get carried away.

Thanks for the common sense.
Thanks for your insight. A follow up question if I may. Who of the 2019 NRL halfbacks would either of you consider to be top class?
Not many, but that doesn’t mean that he is , or ever will be. Just that there’s not an over supply of top halves.
And his game management IS pretty ordinary .
I just wish that I had more confidence that Madge will make a big difference

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:23 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:08 am
Harvey wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 6:51 am
Likely to benefit from having a professional coach who is interested in developing him, rather than one who seems better suited to the under 10’s, given his obsession with having his son in the side
Hope that Madge has a different way of handling Brooks than he did with his half at Souths, he made a catch and pass robot out of Reynolds, and it wasn’t till Seibold rescued him that he started to show his real ability again last season,
4 million (if that’s right) will bring a lot of pressure on Luke and I hope
That he handles that well.

While I think he’s better now than previously, I still think that he’s not worth that sort of money( he’s not the only one that isn’t worth that money though) it’s not his fault that we are paying overs, but the worse part of the deal is that we are relying on backloading to do it,(if that’s what’s happening)
I hope he kills it, but if it doesn’t work out, it could get messy; as it has here before.
I thought that we’d learnt our lesson on back ending.
Apparently Not!
You are guessing that it is a backloaded contract that the club has agreed to.Not a good idea imho

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:31 am

I do not follow stats on individual games etc but I thought he played best when Farah gets involved and Luke as the finisher. Maybe that is not how it is supposed to be but it often worked. So "young Farah" (Liddle) is vital to be on the paddock full time 2020 (now ins calm down)
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:54 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:31 am
I do not follow stats on individual games etc but I thought he played best when Farah gets involved and Luke as the finisher. Maybe that is not how it is supposed to be but it often worked. So "young Farah" (Liddle) is vital to be on the paddock full time 2020 (now ins calm down)
I object to "Young Farah" - more like "Old Liddle" BBF.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 12:21 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:54 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:31 am
I object to "Young Farah" - more like "Old Liddle" BBF.
we will have it both ways - many a good tune is played on an old Fiddle

we can both vouch for that!
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 1:46 pm

I often bag management, but they got this signing right and deserve some kudos.

Dally M half of the year and one of our juniors.

Great work.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 1:53 pm

Silentio wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 1:46 pm
I often bag management, but they got this signing right and deserve some kudos.

Dally M half of the year and one of our juniors.

Great work.
Agree 100%. I too am very critical of our historic and continuing recruitment but nailing Brooks down when he was in demand has been a job well done
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 6:14 pm

Swordy wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 10:22 am
Luke Brooks is not the best halfback in the comp, but 14 other teams don't have the best halfback either.

He is certainly Top 6, if not higher.

He is young.

He is loyal.

He doesn't give up and when he has some good support around him he really shines. In fact, he really glistens when the forwards are on top.

I'll take him and build the club around this bloke.

Thank you and goodnight.
He performed a lot better than both NSW SOO halves last year. He might only be in the top 6 halves in the game but on last years performance he is probably higher than that.

I see signing Brooks as solving a critical position assuming he gets lucky with injuries for the next 5 years. That is a really good signing.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm no Brooks fanboy but he is Dally M HB and you can't just fluke that result over 25 rounds.

Nobody reckons he's the best HB in the comp at peak form, but many and varied neutral judges said he was the best HB across a full season of club matches. That says perhaps his peak is not up with the best, but his consistency has become one of the best.

And he definitely has improvement in him. Maybe he won't see it, but as they say, you are only as good as your last, right?

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 7:55 pm

Everybody repeats the mantra that Brooks has poor "game management" but at one stage late in the season (couldnt be bother to look up stats now) Brooks was leading the NRL in drop outs forced. The season before he was HOPELESS at that. It was a MAssive improvement.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 8:10 pm

Here's how Luke compared from season 2017 to 2018.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 8:10 pm

We haven't had much luck with our players with Tuiaki, Lawrence, Simona and Dwyer all having their careers prematurely ended. None of these players could be considered average and all had the ability to provide strike for our team.

We can find them and we have a good junior recruitment manager so I don't believe it will be too long before one or two young players emerge again from our system. After watching the three schoolboyk players in the UK, there is a bit of talent to be excited about. Remember that our last two Aust Schools halves made the NRL quickly,.

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 8:13 pm

WT2K wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 8:10 pm
That tells the story pretty clearly and like I said, that stat form line drop outs forced is critical as we were able to build some pressure on teams last year.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 8:38 pm

WT2K wrote:
They are great stats.

Shows he is moving in the right direction. His control of a game and big match moments still need some work but he sure improved under a better pack and the coach asking more of him.
Its an opinion!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 9:23 pm

What the hell are receipts?
I don't play SC

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 9:30 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 8:38 pm
WT2K wrote:
They are great stats.

Shows he is moving in the right direction. His control of a game and big match moments still need some work but he sure improved under a better pack and the coach asking more of him.
How do you measure "control" or "game management". Can you use stats on elements of his play or is that just someone's opinion?
in Ivan we distrust

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 9:37 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 9:23 pm
What the hell are receipts?
I don't play SC
Means touching the ball..ie how many times he received it..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen