Luke Brooks

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6427
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: Luke Brooks

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 7:25 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 10:29 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 10:15 pm
Geo. wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 10:04 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 9:59 pm


No I’m not guessing about the back loading , just going on what it said in the report that I read when it was announced, if it is true then we have learnt bugger all.
What did the reporter say..?

“it was 0n a backended contract”
Can you post the article..?

This is odd considering your stance on the media during the Voldermort saga yet seem to have taken this as gospel..
I’m pretty sure it was the Telegraph when they announced his signing, I don’t have the paper or the story,
I’ve already said that I was going on what was said there, and also said”if it was true”, I didn’t say it was Gospel.
Wouldn’t surprise me either way.


Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4988
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 7:26 am

I guess those impressive stats were stacked up when we had solid dummy halves at the beginning and end of season unless someone can check exactly when and prove otherwise. When Jacob hits top form and full time in 2020 he can also have the Club over a barrel demanding the same as Luke because he is just as important and Luke is already getting it. We seen the shambles when we had poor dummy halves so they deserve more than the halves.

We may have set a bad precedent paying top dollar for someone not as consistent as Jacob in performance. If the halves don't measure up they can be avoided by a good active and creative DH but the DH is crucial.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

eyewonder
Member
Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 5:02 pm

Post by eyewonder » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 7:36 am

fabulous news that this young man has resigned.
He was one of the big four that the tigers were hoping to resign
18 months back.when he did,reaction on this forum was lukewarm
to say the least.
the irony is that luke has been much more successful than both moses
and woods in the past 12 months.luke must be happy.
i wonder what woods and moses think about their decisions to leave now.

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2931
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 7:47 am

eyewonder wrote:
Wed 05 Dec, 2018 7:36 am
fabulous news that this young man has resigned.
He was one of the big four that the tigers were hoping to resign
18 months back.when he did,reaction on this forum was lukewarm
to say the least.
the irony is that luke has been much more successful than both moses
and woods in the past 12 months.luke must be happy.
i wonder what woods and moses think about their decisions to leave now.
Geez has Luke reversed his decision already, he just re-signed now he's resigned.
NRL contracts are worth nothing now days.

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 8:01 am

Brooks developed nicely in 2018. His kicking control improved. His forced in goal/repeat sets were up there with the best. In 2018 was one of the best defensive halfbacks. Probably surpassed by Pearce and Cleary. His try assists and try scoring ability were very good.
Nathan Cleary has Maloney outside him who is a great game manager. DCE can be a good game manager but can go missing as well.
For most halves the game management doesn't come till later in there career. Nathan Cleary started well in this area but has a great forward pack in front of him and Maloney next to him.

Matty John's on JT.
"There's three key developments to Johnathan Thurston," Johns said.

"Number one was his physical transformation. When you look back at him at the Bulldogs, honestly, the biggest part of JT were his ears. It's a fantastic lesson to young men who play the sport and are late developers.

"Secondly, the development as a footballer. He first came to the Bulldogs in the mid-2000s and he looked like a rabbit trying to find a hole in a barbwire fence. He was a ducker and a darter, but I didn't see a brilliant slight of hand that you see these days. He was all effort, but he was essentially a runner.


"Then he went to the Cowboys, turned up with Matty Bowen. They just played middle-third football, essentially both of them terrorizing the opposition with footwork, speed and understanding. All of a sudden, he starts to learn his craft and you see the brilliance comes in.

"The final evolution was Johnathan Thurston the man. As a young bloke, he was a scallywag, he was really cheeky. In the last five or six years, he's evolved into being one of the greatest role models that the sport has ever seen. In a lot of ways, he's turned his life around, not that he was ever a bad bastard, but now he's so good, on and off the field."
in Ivan we distrust


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29728
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 10:43 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 05 Dec, 2018 8:01 am
Brooks developed nicely in 2018. His kicking control improved. His forced in goal/repeat sets were up there with the best. In 2018 was one of the best defensive halfbacks. Probably surpassed by Pearce and Cleary. His try assists and try scoring ability were very good.
Nathan Cleary has Maloney outside him who is a great game manager. DCE can be a good game manager but can go missing as well.
For most halves the game management doesn't come till later in there career. Nathan Cleary started well in this area but has a great forward pack in front of him and Maloney next to him.

Matty John's on JT.
"There's three key developments to Johnathan Thurston," Johns said.

"Number one was his physical transformation. When you look back at him at the Bulldogs, honestly, the biggest part of JT were his ears. It's a fantastic lesson to young men who play the sport and are late developers.

"Secondly, the development as a footballer. He first came to the Bulldogs in the mid-2000s and he looked like a rabbit trying to find a hole in a barbwire fence. He was a ducker and a darter, but I didn't see a brilliant slight of hand that you see these days. He was all effort, but he was essentially a runner.


"Then he went to the Cowboys, turned up with Matty Bowen. They just played middle-third football, essentially both of them terrorizing the opposition with footwork, speed and understanding. All of a sudden, he starts to learn his craft and you see the brilliance comes in.

"The final evolution was Johnathan Thurston the man. As a young bloke, he was a scallywag, he was really cheeky. In the last five or six years, he's evolved into being one of the greatest role models that the sport has ever seen. In a lot of ways, he's turned his life around, not that he was ever a bad bastard, but now he's so good, on and off the field."
Good comparison Don.
If Brooks follows JTs development path, we can see he's midway now and the best is yet to come

User avatar
TheDaBoss
Member
Member
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:43 am
Location: C'Town

Post by TheDaBoss » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 11:07 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 7:32 pm
I'm no Brooks fanboy but he is Dally M HB and you can't just fluke that result over 25 rounds.

Nobody reckons he's the best HB in the comp at peak form, but many and varied neutral judges said he was the best HB across a full season of club matches. That says perhaps his peak is not up with the best, but his consistency has become one of the best.

And he definitely has improvement in him. Maybe he won't see it, but as they say, you are only as good as your last, right?
;)
it aint over till the fat lady sings
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 1:14 pm

Having signed Brooks for 550k for 2019 and 3. Something million for the fours after that is much better value than Souths signing Cook at 4.5 million over 5 years. Given the age, position and skill levels.
in Ivan we distrust

Lauren
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun 06 May, 2018 4:07 am

Post by Lauren » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:20 pm

Tigers halfback Brooks proves loyalty is not dead in rugby league
Adrian Proszenko
By Adrian Proszenko
7 December 2018 — 3:10pm
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Whatsapp
Send via Email

What would Luke Brooks be worth on the open market?

How much would clubs be prepared to pay for the Dally M halfback of the year at a time when quality playmakers are so scarce the Panthers rehired a coach they had sacked just three years ago to keep theirs? What about if you are the club that just released Shaun Johnson, heard your English-born skipper was homesick or you’re one of the half a dozen teams desperately seeking a marquee man to lead your attack?

Loyal: Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks.

None of this occurred to Brooks. He grew up supporting Wests Tigers, has played all of his football for them and has no intention of going anywhere else. Which is why, with minimum fuss and little fanfare, he recommitted on a deal that will keep him in the black, white and gold for the next five years.

The decision to do so, without leveraging interest from other parties, would have almost certainly affected his asking price. But at a time when contracted coaches and players are horsetraded like never before, loyalty in rugby league isn’t altogether dead.

Advertisement

"I love this club," Brooks said. "I’ve been at this club for my whole career, so staying here and being a one-club player was appealing to me.

"Growing up, I’ve always been a fan of the Tigers. Living in the area, it means a lot to me.
My mum and whole family have always been big Tigers fans, the club definitely means a lot. It’s pretty much all I’ve known throughout my career. I love playing for them with all the boys we’ve got here.

"It’s tough to be loyal in the game of footy but sometimes there are some players who want to stay at the one club. Hopefully I can do that here."

Advertisement

As a youngster, Brooks bedroom was adorned with Tigers paraphernalia. Posters, soft toys, doona, the lot.

"I had all of that," Brooks chuckled. "It’s pretty embarrassing, mum buying all that stuff for me."

RELATED ARTICLE
Why Nathan Cleary was never going to Wests Tigers
PANTHERS
Why Nathan Cleary was never going to Wests Tigers
Add to shortlist

His mum, also a Tigers diehard, would be proud. Her son’s stocks are undoubtedly on the rise. Potential has turned into performance as the soon-to-be 24 year old begins to feel comfortable calling the shots for his team. It has taken just over 100 games for him to get there, but the joint-venture club will now reap the rewards. After a breakout season, he was selected as a member of Brad Fittler’s Emerging Blues squad and hopes to take his game to another level under new Tigers coach Michael Maguire.

The premiership-winning coach has only been at the club for about a fortnight, but that’s all it took to convince Brooks the pair can enjoy success together.
Having the new coach impacted on my decision," Brooks said. "The last two weeks or so that I’ve been working with him, it’s made my decision easier to stay with the Tigers. I’m excited to continue working with him.

"With Madge coming over, he’s an experienced coach who has had a lot of success wherever he’s been. He’s the right guy to take us forward."

RELATED ARTICLE
Playmaker Brooks pens long-term NRL deal with Tigers
WESTS TIGERS
Playmaker Brooks pens long-term NRL deal with Tigers
Add to shortlist

Brooks didn’t want a repeat of what happened when he was last off contract. The Holy Cross product was a member of the so-called ‘Big Four’ that also included James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses and Aaron Woods. Speculation about their futures turned into a protracted saga. Back then, Brooks’ signature was fourth on the club’s list of priorities. This time around, he is the main man. Not that he milked the situation, despite the fact his agent has close links with the Warriors and Brisbane, clubs that would outlay top dollar for a half of his quality.

"Last time it dragged on and it was played out in the media," he said. "That doesn’t suit me, me and my manager wanted to get it done before the season so we can just concentrate on playing footy.

Advertisement

"It doesn't put the club in the headlines all the time and I can get a bit of momentum from this, concentrate on footy."

As soon as they left, Moses, Woods and Tedesco experience finals football, something Brooks is yet to do. In Tedesco’s case, he also won a premiership. But the No.7 doesn’t believe the grass is greener elsewhere.

"It wasn’t hard watching them, I was happy for them to be playing finals footy," he said. "I wanted to stay at the Tigers because I want to play finals footy with them. I want to have success at the Tigers and hopefully we can do that over the next couple of years."

greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm

Post by greatodensraven » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:27 pm

^^ I like the sounds of that last paragraph. Work hard to take our team to the finals. Don’t jump ship to join a team of stars & hitch a ride...

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:31 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:27 pm
^^ I like the sounds of that last paragraph. Work hard to take our team to the finals. Don’t jump ship to join a team of stars & hitch a ride...
The words of a mature and loyal person thinking about a teams progress, not just his own. He'll be a leader with that attitude.
"Quality Stupidity"

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6175
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:58 pm

That's right mate, take your current c lkub to the finals.

Tcat
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by Tcat » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:59 pm

Dear recruitment department. More players with Brooksys attitude please and don't forget abit of talent too.

User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3016
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 9:31 pm

I think Brooks can and will go to another level above what we saw this year.

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8430
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 11:25 am

Brooks really is a loyal soldier.

With the big four nonsense he stuck around and again now despite being allegedly chased by other clubs decides to stay loyal.

Says a lot about the guy and I hope he sees a grand final victory in the Tigers Jersey.

Those snakes, rats and dogs(Tedesco, Moses, Woods) could learn a lot from this guy
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

User avatar
fibrodreaming
Member
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon 28 Mar, 2011 4:36 pm

Post by fibrodreaming » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 11:44 am

I find that last paragraph very moving. Such loyalty !

It's interesting to speculate about what motivates players. When you consider Robbie, Benji, Rowdy and now Brooks (and others) - they love the club and want to achieve success for the club and with their mates.

Woods and Tedesco on the other hand felt no sense of loyalty toward the club; and Woods actively white-anted the club while our captain.

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4251
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 12:12 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 07 Dec, 2018 8:27 pm
^^ I like the sounds of that last paragraph. Work hard to take our team to the finals. Don’t jump ship to join a team of stars & hitch a ride...
Good attitude to have!
No more plodders!
:sign:

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4138
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 12:22 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
Sat 08 Dec, 2018 11:44 am
I find that last paragraph very moving. Such loyalty !

It's interesting to speculate about what motivates players. When you consider Robbie, Benji, Rowdy and now Brooks (and others) - they love the club and want to achieve success for the club and with their mates.

Woods and Tedesco on the other hand felt no sense of loyalty toward the club; and Woods actively white-anted the club while our captain.
Nofo being quite a significant other. He epitomises what is my favourite part of sport, passion for a club.

Post Reply