What should we do with mr Cleary?

What to do with Cleary

Get rid of him and get as much compensation from the panthers.
35%
Extend his contract.
40%
Upgrade his current contract.
4%
Make him fulfill his current contract.
21%

Total votes: 91

Abraham

Re: What should we do with mr Cleary?

Post by Abraham » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:00 am

Can't make a call from our position as supporters when we are not in possession of all the facts.

I honestly can't fathom that any coach would sign a deal with a rival club 3 seasons in advance.

I also can't fathom that a premiership contender like Penrith would effectively put the next two and abit seasons on hold, and pre-order a coach (who is not Craig Bellamy).

For the time being i would call Penrith's bluff and stare them down. I would only remove Ivan if he did actually sign with them for 2021. If they go in another coaching direction then we win the mexican stand off and its business as usual.

If Ivan does commit to them, then we seek compensation from Penrith and release him AFTER we have another (better) coach ready to slip straight into the position.

A lot of what ifs, but the Board needs to be ready for any eventuality.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:07 am

If we weren't going to extend his deal last week why would we now? You reward people for their performance not because someone else is interested.

It's like proposing to a girl just because another fella bought her a drink.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:07 am

He’ll be at Penrith before 2021. Even if it isn’t the start of 2019. At some point he’ll go.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:12 am

- offer nathan, ivan and his entire family a life membership
- sign them both on 10 year $2M a year contracts
- give Nathan's brother a 10 year contract too
- buy them a house in concord overlooking the West Connex

OR

- fire Ivan

there's only two options really? :/
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:12 am

Demps wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 8:42 am
What's the difference between upgrading and extending his contract?

Essentially the same thing yeah?
Flawed poll.
I'm guessing the difference is by extending his contract you add one, two or three years to it either on the same money or on extra money. Upgrading it means you keep the current term but give him a pay rise. I just can't see the value in upgrading him if that's what the poll means. We've already got him for the next two years and don't need to pay him any more to keep him if that's what we really want to do.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:21 am

I've gone for the extension option but I don't think he'll take it even if it's offered. Failing that I don't think we have a choice but to release him to Penrith after securing maximum compensation. Unless he shows real commitment to WT by extending I think he does damage to the club through our performances and the quality of our roster. We need a coach who can attract good players to the club and I don't think Ivan will be that man if it's known he is leaving at the end of 2020.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:31 am

coivtny wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:12 am
Demps wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 8:42 am
What's the difference between upgrading and extending his contract?

Essentially the same thing yeah?
Flawed poll.
I'm guessing the difference is by extending his contract you add one, two or three years to it either on the same money or on extra money. Upgrading it means you keep the current term but give him a pay rise. I just can't see the value in upgrading him if that's what the poll means. We've already got him for the next two years and don't need to pay him any more to keep him if that's what we really want to do.
Upgrade = go from $500 to $750 to keep him happy

Extension= add a few years to his current agreement.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:32 am

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 6:56 am
Is this the official witch hunting and burn her thread or the vigilante/posse and hang him high thread?
Patience is a virtue lets see what happens

I didnt vote because their isnt an option for waiting to see what happens.All the options listed are heavily loaded in him being guilty
Can I add a wait and see option, how do I do it?

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:34 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:07 am
He’ll be at Penrith before 2021. Even if it isn’t the start of 2019. At some point he’ll go.
What happens if Nathan is like daddy and wants to go roosters after 2 years. Will daddy want to go roosters too. Better to cut our losses and get someone who is dedicated and will be here long term.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:44 am

When Ivan arrived he should have brought the pram, nappies and dummy with him.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:45 am

Swordy wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 6:41 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 5:56 am
Probably need to tone it down a bit. We have no idea what is happening behind closed doors so this is all premature.
Usually I cringe at your posts paws, but very sensible mate. I agree.
Agree as well. Until he comes out and states his intentions it's all just conjecture.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:46 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 7:01 am
The biggest priority is that he isn’t scheming to have any players skip off with him in two years if he sees the contract out. Which is why if he stays he must sign an extension. At the same time though, he’s done nothing to earn one. The only reason we’d be signing him is to ensure the next two years mean something, and maintain an outside chance of signing Nathan. Not sure all of that is worth it. Better off putting a king’s ransom on his head. I doubt Penrith want to spin their wheels for two years, so good chance they pay it. That money will be the salary of of our next coach. If what we’re paying our next coach is overs, who cares. It’s not our money 🤷‍♀️
Seriously, And, Im not having a shot at any one, but who would he even be interesting in .
They dont need another Half or 5/8, they've got that superfast young guy.
Farah is here for life and hes about our best at the moment,
Probably Marsters would be the only other one that would be likely
but Penrith have us covered in most positions

I dont think we have to worry about that if he left, thats more of a Bennett act .
Actually, I wonder if Darius likes the Penrith area??

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:06 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:45 am
Swordy wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Probably need to tone it down a bit. We have no idea what is happening behind closed doors so this is all premature.
Agree as well. Until he comes out and states his intentions it's all just conjecture.
There are a few facts that are out there and I don’t think anyone can deny them:

1. Ivan met with Penrith and didnt tell anyone
2. Griffin gets sacked and Ivan tells the tigers of his meeting.
3. Penrith have tabled an offer to Cleary
4. Cleary has said nothing since
5. If Cleary didn’t want to go, why does Pascoe and go find the need to keep saying they won’t release him, they will take legal action, why hasn’t he come out and said , this is not happening I’m not going anywhere. It can only mean one thing.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:41 am

Enough of the lynch mob stuff. Ivan has earned a truckload of credit in my eyes.

He's clearly thinking about his son's future and the importance of sorting it out. I know if I had to choose over my workplace or my son, I'd pick my son every day of the week. Ivan's taking a bullet so to speak.

He has also (allegedly) been honest enough to tell the Panthers he wants to start now rather than drag it out - which would be terrible for our club.

All are the signs of a decent human.

If the wheels fall off the bus when Ivan leaves, some hard questions need to be asked to those up the food chain.

Let's also not forget that Ivan's track record is not brilliant. He's not necessarily our Road to Damascus.

Ironically, Anthony Griffin's track record is a lot better than Cleary's.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:46 am

What We do at the Tigers is MAKE OUR CLUB the best it can be so that coaches, players and Fans want to be associated.

How many youngsters are choosing the Tigers of their own free will???

Certainly not my 5 Kids.

They were forced - but have little or no interest because we always loose.

WE KEEP CLEARY and See What happens in 6-12 moths

Eca

Post by Eca » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:57 am

Hi All
I think an extension is required and if he doesnt but elects to finish his contract, the rebuild is dead. Release then at end of year.

shifty

Post by shifty » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 11:01 am

PHOQ

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 11:15 am

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:06 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:45 am
Swordy wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
There are a few facts that are out there and I don’t think anyone can deny them:

1. Ivan met with Penrith and didnt tell anyone
2. Griffin gets sacked and Ivan tells the tigers of his meeting.
3. Penrith have tabled an offer to Cleary
4. Cleary has said nothing since
5. If Cleary didn’t want to go, why does Pascoe and go find the need to keep saying they won’t release him, they will take legal action, why hasn’t he come out and said , this is not happening I’m not going anywhere. It can only mean one thing.
1. He may have been meeting with a friend but it turned into an offer. Not sure he instigated the meeting for a job,
5. Yes this is the concerning point. As I have stated in another thread I think he will do what he feels is best for his son.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!