Farah and Marshall to play on in 2019

willow

Post by willow » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:19 pm

Author Wests Tigers Timestamp Wed 29 Aug 2018, 04:03 PM

Wests Tigers are pleased to confirm that Life Members Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall have both signed contract extensions with the club.

Both Farah and Marshall have signed one-year contract extensions for the 2019 NRL season.

The first two players inducted as Life Members of the club, Farah and Marshall both made their NRL debuts for Wests Tigers in 2003 before starring in the club's maiden Premiership victory in 2005.

Farah is the most-capped Wests Tigers player of all time with 255 appearances for the club, while Marshall has played 221 games for the club.

Both players expressed their excitement to play one final season in Wests Tigers colours, and their delight to finish their rugby league careers at the club.

"It's exciting to finally get it done," Farah said.

"I wanted to take my time with the decision and I'm glad it's done now.

"I want to embrace everything and take it all in now knowing it's going to be my last year, and hopefully leave a legacy once I'm gone. I want to leave the club in a better place once Benji and I are gone, and I'm really looking forward to playing that role."

"It was always my intention coming back here to finish my career here," Marshall said.

"I think it's pretty special to start and finish my career at the same place, and to be able to do it with Robbie is something I never could have imagined happening.

"You can't get that opportunity to play again if you decide to retire and I didn't want to have any regrets. I still feel like I have plenty to offer, so I'm just hoping that with a big pre-season and an off-season I can stay injury-free and contribute again next year."

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary said it was great that Farah and Marshall would be extending their time at the club.

"It's been great working with Robbie and Benji this year, they both have a wealth of experience and are key members of our playing squad," said Cleary. "As we've seen throughout the season they both still have a lot to offer this club and it's great that they're going to be a part of Wests Tigers for another year.

"I look forward to working with them both again in 2019," he said.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that the club was thrilled that both players would be taking to the field again in 2019.

"It's great two have two Life Members in Robbie and Benji deciding to continue their playing careers with us for another season," said Pascoe. "Both Robbie and Benji have played key roles at the club since returning this year and we look forward to building on that in 2019.

"Both players are fan favourites and it's great that our Wests Tigers Members and fans will have a chance to cheer them on again in 2019," he said.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:21 pm

I'm shocked I tells ya.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

BermiTiger

Post by BermiTiger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:25 pm

Great news!! Faf will tear it up..... Benji we will see.

TJL

Post by TJL » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:33 pm

Must be specials for the spoon next year, both should've retired.

Post by 851 » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:37 pm

TJL wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:33 pm
Hard to argue, especially Benji, he has been bog average for over 2 months.
Go hard or go home

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:57 pm

Wow...never saw this coming....leaves 4 spots to fill with quality NRL players...keep em comin Ivan.....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:59 pm

farah yep,benji nah.

Post by 2041 » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:13 pm

TJL wrote:
Don't be ridiculous. They're backup, and they're clearly better backups than the type of dross we've traditionally run out - the McIlwricks and Littlejohns of the world.

Marshall's body isn't up to playing 20+ first grade games but he's a better option to fill in for a week or two at a time than most clubs have available. If you need your backup half to play the whole season you're probably screwed anyway. TBH I think Reynolds was a duff signing but it's a done deal now, all we can do is hope he regains some kind of fitness and manages to play next year - we weren't about to shell out another major deal for an established half, even if one was available (who did you have in mind, incidentally?)

The club obviously still believes Liddle is its number nine of the future, but so far his body hasn't been up to it. In that case the dream option is to have a backup available that's of first-grade quality but is on board with bringing the youngster through and can share the workload. Farah is an excellent option. If Liddle proves not to be up to it, obviously it's back to the drawing board. But the club apparently isn't ready to make that call just yet, and I think that's the right call.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:19 pm

Farah staying gives the chance to develop another back up for Liddle at a reasonable price rather than spending a fortune on an established one. Surely a strong one can be found who can also play another position if called upon so a bench space is not wasted. It gives us another year to get our act together. Smart move. This season has proven that Farah deserves a go at 300 games. It is a two way street.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:19 pm

Do they know they're back ups?

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:21 pm

TJL wrote:
We would have been close to being favourites this year without him. He still has great respect in the RL world.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:25 pm

At least we have kept the fans happy

And I'll bet they are on far more than they were this season

Top 8 is another two seasons away

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:26 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:21 pm
TJL wrote:
We would have been close to being favourites this year without him. He still has great respect in the RL world.
Wouldn’t mind being favourites for the spoon again. Didn’t do us any harm this year.

They’re both solid back-up signings although RF more likely to be in the top 17 - which is fine by me.

Allows us to spend more $$$ where we need it, ie. props, 2nd row, centre/wing.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:26 pm

2041 wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:13 pm
TJL wrote:
Don't be ridiculous. They're backup, and they're clearly better backups than the type of dross we've traditionally run out - the McIlwricks and Littlejohns of the world.

Marshall's body isn't up to playing 20+ first grade games but he's a better option to fill in for a week or two at a time than most clubs have available. If you need your backup half to play the whole season you're probably screwed anyway. TBH I think Reynolds was a duff signing but it's a done deal now, all we can do is hope he regains some kind of fitness and manages to play next year - we weren't about to shell out another major deal for an established half, even if one was available (who did you have in mind, incidentally?)

The club obviously still believes Liddle is its number nine of the future, but so far his body hasn't been up to it. In that case the dream option is to have a backup available that's of first-grade quality but is on board with bringing the youngster through and can share the workload. Farah is an excellent option. If Liddle proves not to be up to it, obviously it's back to the drawing board. But the club apparently isn't ready to make that call just yet, and I think that's the right call.
Thank you.

I started to read the comments and was all misery. Then i read yours.

I think you are on the money. They are good quality back up and thats how every single one of us should be looking at it.

If Liddle is playing better he gets the spot , pretty simple.

If Reynolds is playing better he gets the spot, simple.
Its an opinion!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:27 pm

Go for the 300 Robbie. No wait - 400. I look forward to seeing Robbie playing in 2030 being accused of white anting Coach Fitzhenry.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:28 pm

If they can both live with the fact they are back ups and take an ego hit, it's a good move.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Post by 2041 » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:28 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:19 pm
Do they know they're back ups?
I've no idea what the content of the contract negotiations was of course. But I've got enough faith in Pascoe/Cleary to assume that they haven't sold either Farah or Marshall a role if they have no intention of giving it to them.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:29 pm

It’s times like this I wish I was a religious man.