Ryan Matterson

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5177
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Ryan Matterson

Post by Snake » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:52 am

Finally a player that is NRL standard hopefully signed hard to believe ,let it not be the last !


wt01
Member
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed 01 Nov, 2017 12:12 pm

Post by wt01 » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:57 am

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 4:39 pm
I hear he has definitely signed.
thanks yoss

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 2366
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by tigerap » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:42 am

wt01 wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:57 am
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 4:39 pm
I hear he has definitely signed.
thanks yoss
Yoss, do you know if we are seriously looking at anyone else on our radar ?

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:10 am

Cheffo wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 7:59 pm
2041 wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 6:28 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 5:37 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 9:41 am

I would think being behind Boyd, Radley, Liu and likely Crichton, battling weekly with Aubusson, Butcher and Collins is reason enough to want to cement a permanent FG spot elsewhere, without needing another forward to tip you over the edge.

He was given permission to talk to other clubs.

The Roosters pulled the pin!

Im saying Taupau or TPJ is the reason the Roosters have let him go. That and the concussion risk.
Good player unwanted by his current club = perfect signing.

Let's be honest, we can second guess any signing. If they're young, they're unproven. If they're old, they're past it. If their current club is prepared to release them, they're useless. If their current club fights to keep them, they're probably only going to move for overs. If we're in competition with a lot of other clubs, we're probably going to have to pay too much. If we're not in competition with a lot of other clubs, the player is probably useless.
Brilliant summation of the moaners who frequent this space.
There are some fundamental flaws in your argument.

1. If a club releases a player it perceives they have a better value option. If we pick up a player at a lower value, they could be a better value option for us than we have currently.
2. Also don’t necessarily assume we are a poor option. The lack of egoes and our setup might suit certain players ie, our fullback likes our tighter setup vs the dogs. Also there are abundant opportunities to come here and influence the culture and future of our club (not everyone is particularly driven by $$$$)
3. For example if I’m a second tier player at a big club I take a risk to come here and get a decent run at cementing a first grade spot and become a big name player (think cook from Souths)

Viva Zapata
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:24 pm

Post by Viva Zapata » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:28 am

Why are some suggesting we would not have paid overs? Is there any info on the contract value?


Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5177
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:33 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:10 am
Cheffo wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 7:59 pm
2041 wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 6:28 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 5:37 pm



He was given permission to talk to other clubs.

The Roosters pulled the pin!

Im saying Taupau or TPJ is the reason the Roosters have let him go. That and the concussion risk.
Good player unwanted by his current club = perfect signing.

Let's be honest, we can second guess any signing. If they're young, they're unproven. If they're old, they're past it. If their current club is prepared to release them, they're useless. If their current club fights to keep them, they're probably only going to move for overs. If we're in competition with a lot of other clubs, we're probably going to have to pay too much. If we're not in competition with a lot of other clubs, the player is probably useless.
Brilliant summation of the moaners who frequent this space.
There are some fundamental flaws in your argument.

1. If a club releases a player it perceives they have a better value option. If we pick up a player at a lower value, they could be a better value option for us than we have currently.
2. Also don’t necessarily assume we are a poor option. The lack of egoes and our setup might suit certain players ie, our fullback likes our tighter setup vs the dogs. Also there are abundant opportunities to come here and influence the culture and future of our club (not everyone is particularly driven by $$$$)
3. For example if I’m a second tier player at a big club I take a risk to come here and get a decent run at cementing a first grade spot and become a big name player (think cook from Souths)
It is hard to explain to many it is not always about money ...obviously many are blinded by the $ but as stated above the real motivation for many is to play at the elite level of your sport .
Playing for the Tigers never hindered the progression of Woods or Teddy to rep level .
. The Tigers do offer the opportunity to progress ones career as languishing in lower grades at other clubs seems a dead end while being paid well .

User avatar
Curly Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu 03 Sep, 2015 5:21 pm

Post by Curly Tiger » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:34 am

The word I have once removed from a former great at the Roosters is that Matterson, Napa and maybe JWH are being moved on to make way for Crichton who is already coming and there is a very big play to get TPJ away from the Broncs. The back up position for them is apparently Tapau
So sounds like Marty is definitely in the market, hopefully we are considering him and maybe it's best for us that the Roosters do get TPJ

Tcat
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by Tcat » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:51 am

Curly Tiger wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:34 am
The word I have once removed from a former great at the Roosters is that Matterson, Napa and maybe JWH are being moved on to make way for Crichton who is already coming and there is a very big play to get TPJ away from the Broncs. The back up position for them is apparently Tapau
So sounds like Marty is definitely in the market, hopefully we are considering him and maybe it's best for us that the Roosters do get TPJ
The Roosters will probably just sign both.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9754
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 10:02 am

tigerap wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:42 am
wt01 wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:57 am
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 4:39 pm
I hear he has definitely signed.
thanks yoss
Yoss, do you know if we are seriously looking at anyone else on our radar ?
I've not heard anything but others like The Pom might know more.

tonza
Member
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun 04 Mar, 2018 10:50 am

Post by tonza » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 11:11 am

Matterson will be a great signing. Probably looking for a starting role which I think he will get. I dont understand the concerns regarding concussion. Yes he left the field after the football was kicked to his head and was out for several weeks, however he had wrist/hand surgery during that time. How many other times did he have HIA problems, that I must have missed?

Tarl
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:21 pm

Post by Tarl » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 11:48 am

wt01 wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:57 am
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 4:39 pm
I hear he has definitely signed.
thanks yoss
Love the profile pic wt01. :pray: :P

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:57 pm

I was really happy when I first saw that it’s possible, but after thinking about it , I’m not too sure. I had him in my Fantasy team , so watched him fairly closely, his weird injuries ,Concussions and surgery,
The concussion was apparently a serious one, not just a knock on the head and when he came back , he was nowhere near the player that was killing them before that.
Very little info on what the other surgeries were about , but he’s been dropped since he came back after a couple of very ordinary games.
May be nothing, but I get the shakes when we start looking at players with bad injuries,
He would be a big risk unless he was very cheap, and he shouldn’t be cheap if he’s ok

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:20 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:57 pm
I was really happy when I first saw that it’s possible, but after thinking about it , I’m not too sure. I had him in my Fantasy team , so watched him fairly closely, his weird injuries ,Concussions and surgery,
The concussion was apparently a serious one, not just a knock on the head and when he came back , he was nowhere near the player that was killing them before that.
Very little info on what the other surgeries were about , but he’s been dropped since he came back after a couple of very ordinary games.
May be nothing, but I get the shakes when we start looking at players with bad injuries,
He would be a big risk unless he was very cheap, and he shouldn’t be cheap if he’s ok
He was injured in Round 11 and came back in Round 18. He played rounds 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 and has been named for the 1st week of the finals. When exactly did he get dropped after coming back?

He got shuffled to 5/8 when Keary was injured for about 3 games but he never got dropped.

The Queen
Member
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat 08 Apr, 2017 5:26 pm

Post by The Queen » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:29 pm

Nelson wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:20 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:57 pm
I was really happy when I first saw that it’s possible, but after thinking about it , I’m not too sure. I had him in my Fantasy team , so watched him fairly closely, his weird injuries ,Concussions and surgery,
The concussion was apparently a serious one, not just a knock on the head and when he came back , he was nowhere near the player that was killing them before that.
Very little info on what the other surgeries were about , but he’s been dropped since he came back after a couple of very ordinary games.
May be nothing, but I get the shakes when we start looking at players with bad injuries,
He would be a big risk unless he was very cheap, and he shouldn’t be cheap if he’s ok
He was injured in Round 11 and came back in Round 18. He played rounds 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 and has been named for the 1st week of the finals. When exactly did he get dropped after coming back?

He got shuffled to 5/8 when Keary was injured for about 3 games but he never got dropped.



When he got his last head knock the Roosters wanted to give him a rest and he had surgery on his wrist it was going to be two weeks out but needed longer for the wrist to come right

criwdfluffer
Member
Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:34 am

Post by criwdfluffer » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:46 pm

Clearly better backrow option than anyone we have.

Young,big,mobile and has hands.

LOves a pie.


Yes yes yessssss

WswWt
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon 11 Feb, 2013 1:27 pm

Post by WswWt » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:48 pm

criwdfluffer wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:46 pm
Clearly better backrow option than anyone we have.

Young,big,mobile and has hands.

LOves a pie.


Yes yes yessssss

People love to knit pick... even though he is a starter for the team coming first.

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:56 pm

Curly Tiger wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:34 am
The word I have once removed from a former great at the Roosters is that Matterson, Napa and maybe JWH are being moved on to make way for Crichton who is already coming and there is a very big play to get TPJ away from the Broncs. The back up position for them is apparently Tapau
So sounds like Marty is definitely in the market, hopefully we are considering him and maybe it's best for us that the Roosters do get TPJ
Would take JWH if he is being moved on, goes hard and has some mongrel.

User avatar
2041
Member
Member
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:32 pm

Post by 2041 » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:05 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:56 pm
Curly Tiger wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:34 am
The word I have once removed from a former great at the Roosters is that Matterson, Napa and maybe JWH are being moved on to make way for Crichton who is already coming and there is a very big play to get TPJ away from the Broncs. The back up position for them is apparently Tapau
So sounds like Marty is definitely in the market, hopefully we are considering him and maybe it's best for us that the Roosters do get TPJ
Would take JWH if he is being moved on, goes hard and has some mongrel.
Four or five years ago maybe. Nowadays he's a poor man's Russell Packer.

Post Reply