Wests Tigers provide update on 2019 NRL squad

jirskyr

Re: Wests Tigers provide update on 2019 NRL squad

Post by jirskyr » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 8:39 pm

Good news is a pretty similar roster to this one came 9th last year and defied most expectations of a wooden spoon.

We've added Matterson, Mbye, Farah and Momers to the 2018 roster and basically lost dead wood - i.e. players let go, not outbid by other clubs.

I've come to the very firm conclusion that, from a fan's point of view, you can't just look at a roster and make a summary call whether it's good or bad. The basic same roster at Eels got them to 4th and last in consecutive seasons, so it's as much about the cohesion and output of the team than the individual components.

You take Dragons for example - their 2018 pack consisted of:
Graham- a discarded Englishman
Vaughan - a former Raiders benchie
Leilua - the fat brother
De Belin - a junior with unrealised potential (was in his 8th season at Saints)
Tariq Sims - who was always of decent ability, but injury prone and inconsistent
Leeson Ah Mau - who frankly had played 9 unremarkable seasons previously at 3 clubs
Latimore - journeyman doing his job without fuss but without strike ability
Frizell - the only genuine elite-quality player

And they turned it into one of the powerhouse packs of the comp, basically filling the NSW Origin scrum. Not saying in any way that it wasn't a pack of potential, but honestly apart from Frizell and Graham none of those blokes were on rep radars even just a few years ago - but 2018 it clicked for them.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 8:47 pm

We made poor metres through our forwards last year and hurt us significantly when it mattered. I see no great improvement in this area unless young Mikaele ends up being an instant superstar.
Last edited by Telltails on Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 8:47 pm

We lack physical athleticism, power and speed across the park. The trick is to get athletes and develop them from the juniors through. When we get an athlete they move on Teddy, Teo, Fifita, Koro, JAC.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm

The bookies will set the market for 2019 based on fact and not fiction. We will be penciled in for 15th based on our squad. We may over achieve and get as high up as 12 th, but it is a bog average squad that need a urgent injection of class.

Sorry I am being brutal, but it is fact, Matherson, Moses M, have both been great signings but we need need three more of that quality to even give the eight a shot.

I have the feeling that HQ are starting to worry where we are headed in 2019

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:18 pm

supercoach wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm
The bookies will set the market for 2019 based on fact and not fiction. We will be penciled in for 15th based on our squad. We may over achieve and get as high up as 12 th, but it is a bog average squad that need a urgent injection of class.

Sorry I am being brutal, but it is fact, Matherson, Moses M, have both been great signings but we need need three more of that quality to even give the eight a shot.

Im not sure that HQ are worried about one or two Sydney teams struggling. They have one eye on expansion.

Spacecub

Post by Spacecub » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:22 pm

So filled with optomism seeing McQueen and Rochow in that squad....were in great hands

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:23 pm

Early days boys and girls.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:25 pm

supercoach wrote:

Who the hell should be concerned about the bookies market for next year. Just a joke.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:27 pm

Spacecub wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:22 pm
So filled with optomism seeing McQueen and Rochow in that squad....were in great hands
Rochow has a long term injury and rehab I thought. He's staying put surely.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:32 pm

I would move on the following players from the 2019 squad:

McQueen
Elijah Taylor
Rochow

Sentimental positions to Marshall and Farah (IMO both are not needed) but hey they are here

Positional changes:
Gamble to centre

I would give Mikaele first shot at lock and beef up Twals leg drive and upper body strength.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:37 pm

Probably crazy but i wouldn't mind seeing Fonua move to the second row where we seem light. His hands become less of an issue and if he can replicate his hits and tackle busting ability could be a revelation, it did take Lawrence years to convert sadly.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm

supercoach wrote:

Yep. They had us at 15th and Cowboys 1st this year. They just make their best guess like anyone else.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 10:38 pm

W.A.P

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 11:03 pm

The frustration for me is this squad was building and with 2-3 new players top 8 would have been likely. Cleary leaving sets us back unless someone can come here and finish the job. The junior signings over the past few years have been strong. By the time they filter through we need a solid coach of not we are back to square one. Bennett/Maguire and 2-3 strong players and we are back in business. History tells me we won’t get it done.

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 11:19 pm

cktiger wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 10:38 pm
W.A.P
We are plodders?

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 11:21 pm

Arguably this squad is stronger, however, we need 3 aggressive forwards, 2 props, 1 backrower and lock :sign:

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 11:42 pm

IDC that our coaching future is up in the air, I’m more concerned about our signings. The thing that gets me is that we really aren’t strengthening our squad. Who is even responsible for the recent signings anyway? Ivan or Pascoe or someone else?
It’s depressing to know we’ve let go of Godinet, Lolohea, Naiqama, Sue, Grant and MWZ yet only signed 2 other players as well as upgrade our junior development players.
I mean no disrespect to the players leaving or the development players, as I think it’s great we’ve offloaded some of them, but we’re still supposed to make the team significantly better and we haven’t. We only needed a centre, second rower and a prop. So now we are still in desperate need of a prop. (Though I think we ideally need 2).

Another thing that bothers me is we aren’t really building a team around Brooks, though we were told all year it was “Brooksy’s team”. Even a team like the Titans have often stated that their recruited players are signed to accomodate to Ash Taylor.
While I love him to bits, he struggles with leading a team around and I think it’s absolutely necessary we put players around him that will give him the confidence to not only take ownership of the team but take his game to the next level.
It’s paramount the club assists his development sufficiently(especially now he’s won the Dally M halfback). Even if it means having to bring in a coach to help him further evolve his game.
I seriously worry we’re going to mess him up and he’ll either revert or go elsewhere.

Does anyone know what’s happening with Leilani Latu now? We need big bodies and there doesn’t seem to be many available right now.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:14 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
Are you being real Geo

So you feel that Aloiai and MCK have remotely near another gear to find

Puhlease :brick: :brick: :brick: