Wests Tigers provide update on 2019 NRL squad

kingbrooks
Member
Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Wests Tigers provide update on 2019 NRL squad

Post by kingbrooks » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:53 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:49 am
kingbrooks wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:03 am
Terrible squad. We overachieved this year. We won half a dozen games by 1-2 points that could go either way. Not to mention the back run of the year when we played Raiders, Knights, Manly, Dragons were all games that if there was another few minutes we looked shot. We never ever finished over the top of any team as we had no quality.

The last round was indicative of where we are at. Was an NRL side vs a reserve grade side. The worst thing is we barely had anyone out to make excuses. If those top teams turn up to play we are done. We may have lost a bit of deadwood as people say, but the emergence of Sue in the backhalf of the year was a major reason we started winning again (the only forward who could go over the advantage line).

The pack is not good enough and the backs can't create anything to compensate for it. One good signing of Matterson will not solve anything.
Your argument is illogical.

Firstly, winning "half a dozen" games by 1-2 points is actually quite good, in a season of 24 matches, so long as you don't lose another 12 games by 1-2 points. Most teams win about half of the close ones and in fact Tigers were 5-4 in games decided by 2 points or less, so better than average. You can't decry the wins "that could have gone either way", because they didn't go the other way. A close win is not a loss.

In terms of "finishing over the top", not quite sure what you mean. We did not dominate many games apart from the Manly and Souths ones, but we certainly finished over the top of several sides - esp. Melbourne twice and Roosters. It's very hard for you to be making a point about not finishing over the top of anyone, when factually we did exactly that against both Grand Finalists in both games.

The team achieved what they achieved. They can clearly do better, they can also obviously do worse. Unless you are proposing that Tigers played a perfect season in 2018, and could not possibly do any better, then it is always possible that Tigers can improve rather than regress.
Its not illogical. Yes they are good wins but on another year they can go either way and I would fear that next year. Sure you can use the inverse but I felt there were far more games that we won that we were holding on, than games that we lost where you could of said "5 more mins and we had them". The Roosters is the only loss where I felt we were coming home. Even The Eels 2 point loss, we didn't look likely to score that winner at all in the last 10....just zero attack. As I said, that run of Canberra, Saints, Manly and Knights, it felt like another few minutes in all those games and we were done in all of them. Great that we held on, but it shows a bit where we are at and that another year (next year) it could be a lot worse, hence why i fear that.

If you number our side player for player vs any team in the comp and merged them, we would be lucky to have 6 in any starting team in the comp, in some examples we would have zero of our players make another side. Literally zero. Its an ordinary roster.


InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:27 pm

Glass half empty? :deadhorse:

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3234
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:21 pm

Fact is we've lost a lot of plodders, have signed a few quality players and promoted some top quality kids. Similar squad to last year who were 9th. Still 2-3 million to spend. Let's just make sure we spend it!

Mbye > Lolohea
Farah > Godinet
Smith > MWZ (Much faster and more skilful)
Momo = Kev (Reliable and tough, over erratic)
Mikaele (almost equal to Sue. Unproven, but potential to be much much better and more consistent. People easily forget Sue's crap defence and needless penalties...)
Matterson > Grant

SO when you look at things objectively we're not worse off than last year, and have strengthened many positions. Kev and SUe were highly inconsistent players who were great on their day and awful when not. Mikaele could be an Origin player and is rated much higher than the likes of Felise, Tatola, Liolevave. Momirovski is also unproven but given the Roosters had no hesitation throwing him into a prelim final you'd say that's a fair shout as to his quality and mental strength. Likely to be more reliable as Kev, even if less spectacular in attack.

WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 3883
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:44 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:21 pm
Fact is we've lost a lot of plodders, have signed a few quality players and promoted some top quality kids. Similar squad to last year who were 9th. Still 2-3 million to spend. Let's just make sure we spend it!

Mbye > Lolohea
Farah > Godinet
Smith > MWZ (Much faster and more skilful)
Momo = Kev (Reliable and tough, over erratic)
Mikaele (almost equal to Sue. Unproven, but potential to be much much better and more consistent. People easily forget Sue's crap defence and needless penalties...)
Matterson > Grant

SO when you look at things objectively we're not worse off than last year, and have strengthened many positions. Kev and SUe were highly inconsistent players who were great on their day and awful when not. Mikaele could be an Origin player and is rated much higher than the likes of Felise, Tatola, Liolevave. Momirovski is also unproven but given the Roosters had no hesitation throwing him into a prelim final you'd say that's a fair shout as to his quality and mental strength. Likely to be more reliable as Kev, even if less spectacular in attack.
And to add to what you've said.. Hopefully a fit Josh Reynolds too.
No more plodders!
:sign:

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4060
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:51 pm

Yeah, Suaso had me cheering with ball in hand, but concerned when at marker or getting back into the defensive line.


User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:55 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
The reason season 2018 was so disappointing was due to the fact that we had so few injuries throughout the season and still finished outside the 8.
Of course we always expect a tough period for injuries, but what we need are players that are committed to the cause - and a coach with similar commitment wouldn't go astray either.

User avatar
sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 5613
Joined: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:06 pm

Post by sheer64 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:11 pm

I wonder if we will use Packer as a running forward instead of a decoy in 2019?
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

User avatar
palms
Member
Member
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon 20 Jul, 2009 2:09 pm
Location: Mooloolaba, QLD

Post by palms » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:37 pm

Balmainian wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:30 am
palms wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm
One of the worst squads we've ever rolled out, yet up there with the most amount of free cap we've ever had to spend.
Good to see Ivan's mind is on the job.
Sorry mate but I disagree.

Mbye
Matterson
Reynolds
Liddle
Brooks
Lawrence
Thompson

These guys are really good players, who haven’t actually all been on the field together yet.

Maybe another firey prop would be nice.

But 2 years ago we had
Rankin
Edwards
Hunt
Sironen
Lovett
Grant
Seumanfungai
Moses

I reckon that squad was worse than the current batch.
On second look, 2016 squad was VERY ordinary, probably on par considering we had Tedesco, Woods, Moses, Addo-Carr, Brooks. Just as many bog average players this year as back then but we had a third less cap to spend and Jason Taylor as coach.
The big area where we are being let down is with McDonnell gone as the junior development recruiter. Our stocks have pretty much dried up since he left.

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6364
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:21 pm

TonyTiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:29 pm
TYGA wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:45 am
The announcement is at a strange time as is the 3 players elevated to the top 30. Still 3 weeks to go until start of preseason and no decision on the coach either way. Something’s brewing.
We must be close to announcing a real coach, albeit one that won’t be bringing too much cattle across immediately if we’re promoting. Either that or it’s business as usual with the smiling assassin still at the helm momentarily, providing a vice-like grip to recruitment.
We must have plenty of dosh to spend on the last 2 placements.
I was shown an old email yesterday, sent from a panthers trainer who used to play for the tigers which proved the Ivan defection was a done deal 6 weeks ago. Shane Elford went alright as a tiger..
I have no doubt the deal was done ages ago, it is the lack of a replacement as yet that is a little alarming, and the fact he re-signed Farah and Benji.
Go hard or go home

magpiecol
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by magpiecol » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:35 pm

kingbrooks wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:53 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:49 am
kingbrooks wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:03 am
Terrible squad. We overachieved this year. We won half a dozen games by 1-2 points that could go either way. Not to mention the back run of the year when we played Raiders, Knights, Manly, Dragons were all games that if there was another few minutes we looked shot. We never ever finished over the top of any team as we had no quality.

The last round was indicative of where we are at. Was an NRL side vs a reserve grade side. The worst thing is we barely had anyone out to make excuses. If those top teams turn up to play we are done. We may have lost a bit of deadwood as people say, but the emergence of Sue in the backhalf of the year was a major reason we started winning again (the only forward who could go over the advantage line).

The pack is not good enough and the backs can't create anything to compensate for it. One good signing of Matterson will not solve anything.
Your argument is illogical.

Firstly, winning "half a dozen" games by 1-2 points is actually quite good, in a season of 24 matches, so long as you don't lose another 12 games by 1-2 points. Most teams win about half of the close ones and in fact Tigers were 5-4 in games decided by 2 points or less, so better than average. You can't decry the wins "that could have gone either way", because they didn't go the other way. A close win is not a loss.

In terms of "finishing over the top", not quite sure what you mean. We did not dominate many games apart from the Manly and Souths ones, but we certainly finished over the top of several sides - esp. Melbourne twice and Roosters. It's very hard for you to be making a point about not finishing over the top of anyone, when factually we did exactly that against both Grand Finalists in both games.

The team achieved what they achieved. They can clearly do better, they can also obviously do worse. Unless you are proposing that Tigers played a perfect season in 2018, and could not possibly do any better, then it is always possible that Tigers can improve rather than regress.
Its not illogical. Yes they are good wins but on another year they can go either way and I would fear that next year. Sure you can use the inverse but I felt there were far more games that we won that we were holding on, than games that we lost where you could of said "5 more mins and we had them". The Roosters is the only loss where I felt we were coming home. Even The Eels 2 point loss, we didn't look likely to score that winner at all in the last 10....just zero attack. As I said, that run of Canberra, Saints, Manly and Knights, it felt like another few minutes in all those games and we were done in all of them. Great that we held on, but it shows a bit where we are at and that another year (next year) it could be a lot worse, hence why i fear that.

If you number our side player for player vs any team in the comp and merged them, we would be lucky to have 6 in any starting team in the comp, in some examples we would have zero of our players make another side. Literally zero. Its an ordinary roster.
Well they dld quite well for an ordinary team.

You'll get ulcers worrying about next year. Worry if you must, but leave it for another nine months.

magpiecol
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by magpiecol » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:40 pm

palms wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:37 pm
Balmainian wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:30 am
palms wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm
One of the worst squads we've ever rolled out, yet up there with the most amount of free cap we've ever had to spend.
Good to see Ivan's mind is on the job.
Sorry mate but I disagree.

Mbye
Matterson
Reynolds
Liddle
Brooks
Lawrence
Thompson

These guys are really good players, who haven’t actually all been on the field together yet.

Maybe another firey prop would be nice.

But 2 years ago we had
Rankin
Edwards
Hunt
Sironen
Lovett
Grant
Seumanfungai
Moses

I reckon that squad was worse than the current batch.
On second look, 2016 squad was VERY ordinary, probably on par considering we had Tedesco, Woods, Moses, Addo-Carr, Brooks. Just as many bog average players this year as back then but we had a third less cap to spend and Jason Taylor as coach.
The big area where we are being let down is with McDonnell gone as the junior development recruiter. Our stocks have pretty much dried up since he left.
Really? I suggest you check out the "development players " news.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:45 pm

palms wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:37 pm
Balmainian wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:30 am
palms wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm
One of the worst squads we've ever rolled out, yet up there with the most amount of free cap we've ever had to spend.
Good to see Ivan's mind is on the job.
Sorry mate but I disagree.

Mbye
Matterson
Reynolds
Liddle
Brooks
Lawrence
Thompson

These guys are really good players, who haven’t actually all been on the field together yet.

Maybe another firey prop would be nice.

But 2 years ago we had
Rankin
Edwards
Hunt
Sironen
Lovett
Grant
Seumanfungai
Moses

I reckon that squad was worse than the current batch.
On second look, 2016 squad was VERY ordinary, probably on par considering we had Tedesco, Woods, Moses, Addo-Carr, Brooks. Just as many bog average players this year as back then but we had a third less cap to spend and Jason Taylor as coach.
The big area where we are being let down is with McDonnell gone as the junior development recruiter. Our stocks have pretty much dried up since he left.
I believe David Warwick is doing an excellent job at junior recruitment. We've got Dylan Smith, Jock Madden, Tommy Talau and Zac Cini, all Aust Schools reps. We've also picked up that young forward from the Dragons as well as some handy backs from the Bulldogs and Qld,. I can't recall recruitment of this quality at this level previously.

TonyTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by TonyTiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:42 pm

You’re correct, junior recruitment has been top notch, the problem is the NRL provides no reward or incentive for developing these juniors. When they’re ready for 1st grade they have targets plastered all over them. Hopefully they stay loyal when the time arrives.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:14 pm

palms wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:37 pm
Balmainian wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:30 am
palms wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm
One of the worst squads we've ever rolled out, yet up there with the most amount of free cap we've ever had to spend.
Good to see Ivan's mind is on the job.
Sorry mate but I disagree.

Mbye
Matterson
Reynolds
Liddle
Brooks
Lawrence
Thompson

These guys are really good players, who haven’t actually all been on the field together yet.

Maybe another firey prop would be nice.

But 2 years ago we had
Rankin
Edwards
Hunt
Sironen
Lovett
Grant
Seumanfungai
Moses

I reckon that squad was worse than the current batch.
On second look, 2016 squad was VERY ordinary, probably on par considering we had Tedesco, Woods, Moses, Addo-Carr, Brooks. Just as many bog average players this year as back then but we had a third less cap to spend and Jason Taylor as coach.
The big area where we are being let down is with McDonnell gone as the junior development recruiter. Our stocks have pretty much dried up since he left.
Surely you jest over McDonnell?

User avatar
palms
Member
Member
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon 20 Jul, 2009 2:09 pm
Location: Mooloolaba, QLD

Post by palms » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes McDonnell was a jest :)

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:18 am
Location: Central Coast

Post by coivtny » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:22 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:14 pm
palms wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:37 pm
Balmainian wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:30 am
palms wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm
One of the worst squads we've ever rolled out, yet up there with the most amount of free cap we've ever had to spend.
Good to see Ivan's mind is on the job.
Sorry mate but I disagree.

Mbye
Matterson
Reynolds
Liddle
Brooks
Lawrence
Thompson

These guys are really good players, who haven’t actually all been on the field together yet.

Maybe another firey prop would be nice.

But 2 years ago we had
Rankin
Edwards
Hunt
Sironen
Lovett
Grant
Seumanfungai
Moses

I reckon that squad was worse than the current batch.
On second look, 2016 squad was VERY ordinary, probably on par considering we had Tedesco, Woods, Moses, Addo-Carr, Brooks. Just as many bog average players this year as back then but we had a third less cap to spend and Jason Taylor as coach.
The big area where we are being let down is with McDonnell gone as the junior development recruiter. Our stocks have pretty much dried up since he left.
Surely you jest over McDonnell?
Don't think he'll appreciate you calling him Shirley.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29368
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:41 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:55 pm
Geo. wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm
Thin on for outside backs...

The pack proved they could match it with the rest in the majority of games ...the addition of Matterson will improve the balance of the pigs

The top 17 is a good squad id back them against most sides in the NRL..however we know injuries will strike at stages...it's where we need the likes of Aloiai Chee Kam to step up again and show more consistency...
The reason season 2018 was so disappointing was due to the fact that we had so few injuries throughout the season and still finished outside the 8.
Of course we always expect a tough period for injuries, but what we need are players that are committed to the cause - and a coach with similar commitment wouldn't go astray either.
It wasn't the amount of injuries it was the timing and to who .....we lost Packer and Nofoaluma within a week of each other as an example which co insided with a string of losses in the middle third of the season...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40842
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:59 pm

palms wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:21 pm
Yes McDonnell was a jest :)
You could /should of been strung up ,hung and quartered if you were serious :lol:

Even Shannon would have brought his pitchfork :D

Post Reply