For all the people moaning about signings

Re: For all the people moaning about signings

Post by 2041 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:16 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:43 pm
I'd say the Morris twins, Ferguson, Lee, Macdonald, Sims, Ah Mau, CHN and Woods woukd all help improve our squad .

What's wrong with discussing it? It's the off season, if you don't like speculation come back in March because it sounds like your the one who needs to settle down.
I don't mind discussing potential signings. I just think it's ludicrous to suggest that anything short of signing basically every first-grade-standard player on the market by early October dooms the club to the wooden spoon next year.

The list you've come up with would have chewed up every bit of cap space the Tigers have and more, and after spunking all the cash for the next three years we'd have added an ageing and injury prone winger, an ageing and injury prone centre, a good winger, a fringe first-grade winger, another winger, a bench prop, another bench prop, a promising back row forward and a very good prop the club clearly didn't want to re-sign.

So we'd have plenty of depth on the wing at least.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:02 pm

2041 wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:16 pm
gallagher wrote:
I'd say the Morris twins, Ferguson, Lee, Macdonald, Sims, Ah Mau, CHN and Woods woukd all help improve our squad .

What's wrong with discussing it? It's the off season, if you don't like speculation come back in March because it sounds like your the one who needs to settle down.
I don't mind discussing potential signings. I just think it's ludicrous to suggest that anything short of signing basically every first-grade-standard player on the market by early October dooms the club to the wooden spoon next year.

The list you've come up with would have chewed up every bit of cap space the Tigers have and more, and after spunking all the cash for the next three years we'd have added an ageing and injury prone winger, an ageing and injury prone centre, a good winger, a fringe first-grade winger, another winger, a bench prop, another bench prop, a promising back row forward and a very good prop the club clearly didn't want to re-sign.

Some people want to sign everyone on the market. But then become unhinged when Easts or the Broncos try it. Go figure.

:brick:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:17 pm

I thought we had completed our squad... So we have two spots left?
It's very complicated these days

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:21 pm

The list only includes signings from June. Off contract players became available from November 17 to join in 2019.

You also need to consider your base. We had MWZ, Kev and Fonua filling key outside back positions after losing Suli & Milne very late.

We should have been chasing every proven outside back on the market, but have got no one.

Who will be our 3/4’s next year? Nofa, Marsters, Momorovski, Thompson? Which team does that strike fear into?

Backups in case of injury are Fonua and Smith before we need to start playing Garner, MCK or Lawrence (is Lovett available in the backs).

We could upgrade Price, O’Toole or Heleta but most of them are not up to reserve grade.

We are now scraping the bottom of the barrel and I would seriously consider signing Linnett, Bowen, Hudson, Ross or Sio to plug the holes.

If we don’t manage to release a couple of the bog average players we have , we end up heavy on bad forwards and bare on backs.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:27 pm

If nothing changes nothing changes, unless t improves or goes south... We need a defensive line that repels the first 3 hit ups of the opposition's sets...i dunno if it's personnel training coaches or a bit of all three.... This mob better improve or it'll just be more of the same old same ol

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 6:19 pm

I think we’re all pretty relieved we actually made any signings at all during this whole Ivan fiasco. Think we’re mostly happy with the quality of the signings and the upgrades for our development players, but what’s wrong with complaining about the club’s investment(or lack of) in our forwards?
Yes everyone agrees that Robbie is a massive upgrade on Godinet and Mcilwrick. But we still lack a prop or two. There are some monster forward packs and ours will only continue to get dominated, week in week out, if we don’t fix that area.
I can already see that we will be required to play gritty in an effort to win games. We will try to repeat our defensive game from this year and the grinding will take too much out of our players. The defensive efforts from our forwards will tire them down and other packs will give them an absolute bath. So I don’t think it’s negative to question the fact we still haven’t signed an impact prop, especially as it’s been a glaring weakness of ours for a while.

That’s why I asked yesterday if anyone knew what was happening with Latu. Or what about that Lawrie(not sure of spelling) from Dragons. I know stocks are short but surely there’s some props out there that can get the job done.
Last edited by Lauren on Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 6:32 pm

2041 wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Yeah. I said let's sign all of those players. If your happy with Benji and Farah, then good for you. Im not gonna be popping champers for these sort of signings though.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 6:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:27 pm
If nothing changes nothing changes, unless t improves or goes south... We need a defensive line that repels the first 3 hit ups of the opposition's sets...i dunno if it's personnel training coaches or a bit of all three.... This mob better improve or it'll just be more of the same old same ol
One more must be signed before March , Another must be signed before June

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 6:59 pm

Muzzy wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:02 pm
gallagher wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:32 pm
That's a small period of three months so you can't take much away from that stat either way.

Will our round 1 team be much better than this year's round 1 team? Not by much at this stage if you ask me.
Um, Our Round 1 team in 2018 defeated the 2018 Premiers and then the 2017 Premiers/2018 runners-up in Week 2 - 5 wins of 6 (dodgy Broncos game). Our problem wasn't round 1 Team but depth once Packer & hooking/dummy half problems emerged.
Godinet was the round 1 hooker. So you say he wasn't the problem but then say dummy half was the probkem.

Post by 2041 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:26 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 6:32 pm
2041 wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Yeah. I said let's sign all of those players. If your happy with Benji and Farah, then good for you. Im not gonna be popping champers for these sort of signings though.
Ok, let's talk Marshall.

First up: for better or worse, the club has a starting halves pairing already signed. It's Brooks and Reynolds. Marshall is the backup half. I'd argue he's at least as good as what most clubs run out if one of their starting halves gets injured. The Roosters - who are, let's not forget, premiers - named Mitchell f-ing Aubusson to start the grand final at half back when it looked like Cronk wouldn't play. So yes, actually I am moderately happy with Marshall as the third-choice half - no decent player is going to sign to play reggies, and I'm sure Marshall is on next to no money. If Marshall has to play 20 games, yes, we're screwed. Name a team where that isn't the case.

Second: look at that list of off contract players again. Tell me who the Tigers should have aggressively bid for to replace Marshall as backup half. Kane Elgey? Well, he's crap for one thing. More to the point, Manly offered him a chance to compete for a starting spot. So that was a non-starter. Tyrone Roberts? He's a massive upgrade on Marshall is he? And that's it.

You can't just magic starting quality halves who are willing to play reserve grade for minimum salary out of thin air. That's why I put that list up there in the first place: those are the players that have moved, and therefore those are the players that were available. I can't see a backup half I'd pick ahead of Marshall (unless you still believe in Elgey, but as discussed he was on a better wicket at Manly) on that list.

The idea that anyone thinks re-signing Farah and Marshall is meant to be a blockbuster, marquee move is bonkers. They're backups at the back end of their career, who are there in case Brooks, Reynolds or Liddle get injured. You should be comparing them to Jack Littlejohn and Matt McIlwrick. If you don't think they're as good as that type of player, you at least have to have an idea of who might have been better choices as backups based on the players that were actually available.

So, yes, we can argue about whether the Tigers should have made a more aggressive play for Brett Morris, Blake Ferguson or Edrick Lee. But deciding in early October that next year is a write off because the Tigers haven't yet signed one of the (at best) mid-range free agents that have come off the market (when they have signed the best fullback and best back row forward to have moved so far) is pretty pathetic.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:37 pm

2041 wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:26 pm
gallagher wrote:
2041 wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Ok, let's talk Marshall.

First up: for better or worse, the club has a starting halves pairing already signed. It's Brooks and Reynolds. Marshall is the backup half. I'd argue he's at least as good as what most clubs run out if one of their starting halves gets injured. The Roosters - who are, let's not forget, premiers - named Mitchell f-ing Aubusson to start the grand final at half back when it looked like Cronk wouldn't play. So yes, actually I am moderately happy with Marshall as the third-choice half - no decent player is going to sign to play reggies, and I'm sure Marshall is on next to no money. If Marshall has to play 20 games, yes, we're screwed. Name a team where that isn't the case.

Second: look at that list of off contract players again. Tell me who the Tigers should have aggressively bid for to replace Marshall as backup half. Kane Elgey? Well, he's crap for one thing. More to the point, Manly offered him a chance to compete for a starting spot. So that was a non-starter. Tyrone Roberts? He's a massive upgrade on Marshall is he? And that's it.

You can't just magic starting quality halves who are willing to play reserve grade for minimum salary out of thin air. That's why I put that list up there in the first place: those are the players that have moved, and therefore those are the players that were available. I can't see a backup half I'd pick ahead of Marshall (unless you still believe in Elgey, but as discussed he was on a better wicket at Manly) on that list.

The idea that anyone thinks re-signing Farah and Marshall is meant to be a blockbuster, marquee move is bonkers. They're backups at the back end of their career, who are there in case Brooks, Reynolds or Liddle get injured. You should be comparing them to Jack Littlejohn and Matt McIlwrick. If you don't think they're as good as that type of player, you at least have to have an idea of who might have been better choices as backups based on the players that were actually available.

So, yes, we can argue about whether the Tigers should have made a more aggressive play for Brett Morris, Blake Ferguson or Edrick Lee. But deciding in early October that next year is a write off because the Tigers haven't yet signed one of the (at best) mid-range free agents that have come off the market (when they have signed the best fullback and best back row forward to have moved so far) is pretty pathetic.
Not often I agree 2041, but yes, very well said.
"Quality Stupidity"

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:44 pm

2041 wrote:
gallagher wrote:
2041 wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Ok, let's talk Marshall.

Benji is done, he's not even a good back up, its a waste of top 30 spot, develop a junior instead.
We got too many blokes that should be back-ups but will end up as regulars. Huff and puff all you like but our roster and recruitment is not good enough.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:10 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:17 pm
It use to be your NRL squad had to be lodged with the NRL by Feb 1 of that season but with the new CBA it changed to allow clubs a bit more flexibilty around finalising squads...

Now ...Under NRL guidelines, clubs are required to confirm a top 24 roster for 2019 with the NRL as of November 1, 2018 — the start of the financial rugby league calendar — with 29 players to be signed on when the regular season commences on the first week of March, 2019.

So basically we have until March to fill spot 29 and June 30 2019 to finalise the Top 30..of course tho that is still fluid and players can be released and or picked up mid season by June 30 of that year...

The big difference is if your not in the NRL top 30 you can't play NRL without an exemption...so the likes of Luke Garner couldn't play NRL earlier this year until he was promoted to the NRL squad..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:44 pm
2041 wrote:
gallagher wrote:
2041 wrote:

Ok, let's talk Marshall.

Benji is done, he's not even a good back up, its a waste of top 30 spot, develop a junior instead.
We got too many blokes that should be back-ups but will end up as regulars. Huff and puff all you like but our roster and recruitment is not good enough.
I'm with NT and 2041 - Benji was a choice that suits the club for a lot of reasons the least of which is that he was re-signed to be a starting half. I agree and also thought he looked shot over the last few months but we really had little choice other than to play him carrying injuries. As for Farah, he also is there for a reason and I'd expect he will get more game time than Benji.
I actually think that both of them being in the squad will provide something to the rest of the players whilst we go through the upheavel and transition of coaches.
The re-signing of both of them for one more year is certainly not going to be the downfall of the club in 2019 like some seem to be making out!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:19 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm
gallagher wrote:
2041 wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Ok, let's talk Marshall.

I'm with NT and 2041 - Benji was a choice that suits the club for a lot of reasons the least of which is that he was re-signed to be a starting half. I agree and also thought he looked shot over the last few months but we really had little choice other than to play him carrying injuries. As for Farah, he also is there for a reason and I'd expect he will get more game time than Benji.
I actually think that both of them being in the squad will provide something to the rest of the players whilst we go through the upheavel and transition of coaches.
The re-signing of both of them for one more year is certainly not going to be the downfall of the club in 2019 like some seem to be making out!
I dont think it will be our downfall but i dont think its moving us forward or imroving the roster. Wehave Gamble in the top 30, we dont need him and Marshall. Lino from the Warriors would have been a consideration if we need 4 halves in the top 30.Mybe can switch to the halves if injures hitaswell. Thompson looks a better fullback than winger to me anyway.

Farah? I can just see that blowing up when Liddle starts getting more match time.Seggy and Luke were both off contract and both better players this year.

Its just side way moving, not going forward.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:26 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:10 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:17 pm
It use to be your NRL squad had to be lodged with the NRL by Feb 1 of that season but with the new CBA it changed to allow clubs a bit more flexibilty around finalising squads...

Now ...Under NRL guidelines, clubs are required to confirm a top 24 roster for 2019 with the NRL as of November 1, 2018 — the start of the financial rugby league calendar — with 29 players to be signed on when the regular season commences on the first week of March, 2019.

So basically we have until March to fill spot 29 and June 30 2019 to finalise the Top 30..of course tho that is still fluid and players can be released and or picked up mid season by June 30 of that year...

The big difference is if your not in the NRL top 30 you can't play NRL without an exemption...so the likes of Luke Garner couldn't play NRL earlier this year until he was promoted to the NRL squad..
Yeah...starting to get the gist of it... and that june 30 spot is pretty good as clubs can offload players they thought they needed but now realize they dont...recruitments a gamble and what doesnt work for one club may be just what anothers looking for

Post by 2041 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:19 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm
gallagher wrote:
2041 wrote:

Ok, let's talk Marshall.

I dont think it will be our downfall but i dont think its moving us forward or imroving the roster. Wehave Gamble in the top 30, we dont need him and Marshall. Lino from the Warriors would have been a consideration if we need 4 halves in the top 30.Mybe can switch to the halves if injures hitaswell. Thompson looks a better fullback than winger to me anyway.

Farah? I can just see that blowing up when Liddle starts getting more match time.Seggy and Luke were both off contract and both better players this year.

Its just side way moving, not going forward.
Again, though, you're complaining about who the Tigers selected to be their backup hooker and backup half. It's a sideshow. There's not a team in the comp that wouldn't be massively damaged if their first-choice 9 or either of their first-choice halves went down for an extended period.

The problems the Tigers have in the spine are (1) the guy they gave a lot of money to be their starting 5/8 can't get fit, and (2) the guy they've decided is the future in the number 9 jersey also can't get fit. As it happens, I think they got way more out of both Marshall and Farah this year than they had any right to expect. But that's not really the issue - the issue is that half the spine missed 90% of the season.

Tell me how the Storm would have gone without Smith and Munster, or Souths without Cook and Reynolds. The Roosters might have been able to cope but only because Friend is probably the weakest player on their roster, but would they have won the comp if he and Keary had barely got on the park?

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:33 pm

2041 wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm

There's not a team in the comp that wouldn't be massively damaged if their first-choice 9 or either of their first-choice halves went down for an extended period.
I'm not sure Parramatta would notice too much if their first choice 9 went down and they'd probably improve with either or both of their first choice halves going down...