Liddle to Bulldogs? - SMH article

Nelson

Re: Liddle to Bulldogs? - SMH article

Post by Nelson » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:01 am

I'd hope we could fend off the Bulldogs and keep Liddle but if not then Reece Robson at the Dragons would be an option. He's also off contract at the end of 2019 and looks a talent.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:02 am

tigerbenji wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:31 am
I really like Liddle but boy hes injured a lot, if he wants to go then go, theres always someone else.
He had two shoulder record done last off season, so he never had the preparation at the start of the year to build up his body.
These types of injuries often happen because young players body have not fully matured.

How many off contracted players have the Wests Tigers approached hardly front page news.

There are a lot of if’s and but’s in situations like these.

Have the Tigers offered big money to Cook so Souths have to up the offer, and in doing so have to punt other players.

Is Madge trying to grab any Souths players that could be moved on to accommodate Cook.

Are the Bulldogs doing the same to us.

Then after all it’s just a story in a newspaper.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:03 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:50 am
supercoach wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:45 am
Yes Liddle has had a bad run with injuries, but plenty of other footballers have had a injury ridden start to their careers and gone on to play plenty of football. I would be very disappointed if we let Liddle walk
How many games did Benji miss in his first few years?
Marshall was a prodigy though. We all knew what we had with him. Liddle still hasn’t lived up to the hype. Imo anyway.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:05 am

westy81 wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:51 am
I wouldn’t let him go, yea he has had a few injuries but so did Benji in his younger days and he turned out fine
He could have a breakout year this year
Who knows Farah could get a long term injury then who do we have to replace him if we let Liddle go ?
I don’t think many West’sTigers fans would like to see him go. As an attack DH he could be right up there. It’s just the uncertainty if his body will hold up week to week.
in Ivan we distrust

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:29 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:50 am
supercoach wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:45 am
Yes Liddle has had a bad run with injuries, but plenty of other footballers have had a injury ridden start to their careers and gone on to play plenty of football. I would be very disappointed if we let Liddle walk
How many games did Benji miss in his first few years?
This is true, but Benji was electrifying and it was very clear to see that he was something very special. Liddle showed glimpses of talent but last year, in 18 games combined, I thought he was disappointing. Towards the end of the season when Farah came off and he went on, we looked worse.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:29 am

It will be a black day for me if they let Liddle go.

He is just at the point of a break out year, current hooker has 2019 left only - no brainer to me.

Still say Cook is a one trick pony - speed from DH and that is it. Not a great defender, average kicking game and for 4 million I would want a lot better DH than him.

Don't get the negatives for Liddle. He is young, at least same size as Farah, has his shoulders fixed, will have his first full pre-season under his belt, holds club record for most tackles in a game, half the cost of Cook at least etc. etc.

Keep him Madge or you will probably regret it.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:30 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:05 am
westy81 wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:51 am
I wouldn’t let him go, yea he has had a few injuries but so did Benji in his younger days and he turned out fine
He could have a breakout year this year
Who knows Farah could get a long term injury then who do we have to replace him if we let Liddle go ?
I don’t think many West’sTigers fans would like to see him go. As an attack DH he could be right up there. It’s just the uncertainty if his body will hold up week to week.
If he goes he goes. Very risky to spend big money on him.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:31 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:29 am

He is just at the point of a break out year, current hooker has 2019 left only - no brainer to me.

Still say Cook is a one trick pony - speed from DH and that is it. Not a great defender, average kicking game and for 4 million I would want a lot better DH than him.

Don't get the negatives for Liddle. He is young, at least same size as Farah, has his shoulders fixed, will have his first full pre-season under his belt, holds club record for most tackles in a game, half the cost of Cook at least etc. etc.

It's all about numbers Russ. How much/long would you sign him for?

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:41 am

Russell wrote:

Well said Russ. My feelings too. It's a lot of money for Cook and he is easily shut down as was shown in the finals if you slow the play the balls down. I think in one of those finals Cook had an absolute howler didn't he?

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:44 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:31 am
Russell wrote:

Not sure what he is on at the moment Avo - probably about 250 - 350 - I think he would be happy to stay if he knew he was wanted after Farah retires.

Depending on how he performs on the last year of his contract, he could get a good upgrade. Indecision causes a lot of players to leave when they really don't want to.

This kid can play - needs to improve his kicking game (surely Farah can help him there) and he will have it all.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:54 am

Russell wrote:

Someone had to say it.

He is no Cameron Smith, he is no young Robbie Farah.

Great attacking player but he is a momentum player and if his team has no momentum he is not a play making hooker that can steer you around or get you out of trouble.
Its an opinion!

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:57 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:44 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

Not sure what he is on at the moment Avo - probably about 250 - 350 - I think he would be happy to stay if he knew he was wanted after Farah retires.

Depending on how he performs on the last year of his contract, he could get a good upgrade. Indecision causes a lot of players to leave when they really don't want to.

This kid can play - needs to improve his kicking game (surely Farah can help him there) and he will have it all.
Let's say, hypothetically, the Bulldogs offer him 4 years @ 500k per season. Do you let him walk?

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:57 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:57 am
Russell wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

Let's say, hypothetically, the Bulldogs offer him 4 years @ 500k per season. Do you let him walk?
500-600k is a reasonable price for liddle, considering the potential he has
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 9:06 am

TheDaBoss wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

Given his run of injuries that is a hell of a lot of money to pay for potential... I don't think he's worth anywhere near that.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 9:07 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Fri 16 Nov, 2018 9:06 am
TheDaBoss wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

Given his run of injuries that is a hell of a lot of money to pay for potential... I don't think he's worth anywhere near that.
true...

so what about 300-400k?
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 9:11 am

I hope we keep Liddle, he plays a similar style game to Cook and has youth on his side.
Very talented young kid.
Injuries can't be helped and I hope he has some luck with that aspect of his career going forward.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 9:21 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
Russell wrote:

If they offer that to him now and he wants the club to counter with something similar right now then yes, you let him walk. I don't think the Bulldogs would come in with that kind of offer at this point in time though. He's not got the runs on the board to command that sort of money.

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 9:28 am

I am over the potential aspect of young players .. our club has had no success for over a decade , if the club does not think Liddle is capable of cementing a first grade spot I support moving him on . I want our club to be successful and sign players that will bring this about .. young potential can be put in the waste bin as far as I am concerned this club has wasted to many years stuttering around!! the path to success has to be rammed home.