D-day for Benji Marshall

ImageImageImage
AmericanHistoryX

D-day for Benji Marshall

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 24 May, 2013 10:50 am

BENJI Marshall will find out shortly before tonight's crucial clash against North Queensland if he is still wanted by the Wests Tigers.

In what is shaping as a watershed day for the embattled star and the Tigers, outgoing boss Stephen Humphreys will meet Marshall's manager Martin Tauber this morning. Tauber is expecting the club to table a reduced offer to the playmaker.

Marshall recently agreed to an upgraded extension until the end of 2017, reportedly worth $4 million over five years, but Tauber said it appears the board has since gone cold on the deal.

MATCH CENTRE: TIGERS v COWBOYS

"To be frank I just want it resolved," Tauber told The Daily Telegraph.

"I meet the chief executive Stephen Humphreys (today). We will know then whether they are still prepared to stand by their original offer or whether that is to change."

Asked if he was expecting a downgraded offer, Tauber said: "All the speculation is that it won't be the same but no one has said that to us.

"Nobody has said we want to propose a change.

"All the indications are they have sowed a seed in their mind that (Marshall) is not worth it. He is not worth the extension nor is he worth the contract renegotiation."

Matty Johns debates Benji's worth to Tigers
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 24 May, 2013 11:28 am

This should be a short conversation. Show us some form and we will show you the money.

It's as simple as that.

If Tauber doesn't like it then he can piss off and take Marshall with him.

Sick of this whole circus.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 24 May, 2013 11:37 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:This should be a short conversation. Show us some form and we will show you the money.

It's as simple as that.

That's more or less how it should be.

Royce

Post by Royce » Fri 24 May, 2013 11:41 am

Why is Humpty still negotiating?

The new CEO will need some flexibility and room to move with the salary cap.

If Humpty signs blokes up for four year multi million deals, the next CEO will effectively be powerless.

delpy

Post by delpy » Fri 24 May, 2013 11:42 am

Marshall is always telling us how he likes to prove people wrong. According to his autobiography, he grew up that way. If anyone is cooling the talks, it should be him. Go out and prove to the board that you are worth $4m over 5 seasons. Hell, go out and prove to them you're worth $6m. But please understand that if the club is hesitant on signing you for such a large sum, it is not because they don't want you at the club. It is because that is what they believe you are worth. If you disagree, rather than signing for Penrith who will offer you overs, prove the board wrong, just like you claim you thrive upon.
Delpy
Wests Tigers Member

Majere77

Post by Majere77 » Fri 24 May, 2013 11:47 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:This should be a short conversation. Show us some form and we will show you the money.

It's as simple as that.

Absolutely... how can Tauber front up like he is managing the same player as Three years ago.

If Benji wants to go play Jap rugby for overs, I'll gladly get the door for him.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Fri 24 May, 2013 12:48 pm

We love you Benji but if you are only looking for benjamin$ at our club then you are more than welcome to shop around with your manager for the highest bidder.
I personally will be sad to see him leave but i couldnt see him on Mega bucks and we not being able to retain other players cause we dont have any money

tigers.patriot

Post by tigers.patriot » Fri 24 May, 2013 12:53 pm

In all fairness to Benji Marshall + believe me, i was one of his staunchest supporters, i really do not see how re-signing him for that much money let alone for that long is beneficial to this team. not with his current form + the juniors waiting in the wings. at best, benji has 2 maybe 3 'good' years left in him. it would be such a shame to lose any or all of Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses + Curtis Sironen. especially with their upside. in '05 the club had prince, in '10 + '11 when the club returned to the finals the team had lui. every other year in between + since then, the club hung its playmaking hopes more on the shoulders of benji. that record [win, loss, play off appearance] should speak for itself when considering his worth + current contract negotiations.

remember 2005 when that young team of ours won the premiership + remember all of that 'potential' they were still to suppose to still reach? cut to 8 seasons later + where did all that early success + supposed potential take the team? not really too far at all.

finally, the club has bled good players for years, only to sign poor ones [the past few years have been especially bad + its not just the blair signing]. if the tigers go in all on this with marshall, im more than certain this trend of losing good players will inevitably continue [his contract will need to be accommodated somehow] along with more missed opportunities + unfulfilled potential. please tigers, from a lifelong fan, think hard about this one.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 24 May, 2013 1:04 pm

As Hybrid said start playing some decnt football and the club will give you want and if you don't I hope they give you want I want them to give you

A firm shove in the back as you and your wanna be manager walk out the door and Ricky Stuarts phone number

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Fri 24 May, 2013 1:57 pm

any updates yet?
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Fri 24 May, 2013 4:33 pm

i think the fans have a short memory.. he has only really been playing bad this year.. last year was a up and down year not only for him but the whole team..

s*** Lawrence has been playing worse then him for longer as half the other team and cop no where near as much s***

puckster

Post by puckster » Fri 24 May, 2013 4:41 pm

Ok, it's now 4.40pm, surely we are entitled to be told what the result has been with Benji, has he signed or not ???

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Fri 24 May, 2013 4:45 pm

puckster wrote:Ok, it's now 4.40pm, surely we are entitled to be told what the result has been with Benji, has he signed or not ???
Entitled???? pmsl

As it stands he ows no one anything other then the club and his team mates... But certainly not the members for giving him a bagging for the last 2 mths.. if i was him and had members ripping into him after he has served the team pretty well since he came on board i would tell you to jam it..... and wait for the decision when he is well and ready

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Fri 24 May, 2013 4:48 pm

as it is i think the fans are being a little bit of COCKs about his form.. Yes he has been playing poorly by his own admission..

u guys are quick to love him when he is on fire but when he isnt its "piss him off now" attitude...

he has bled Black and Gold for over 8 years.. 18 mths of mixed form doesnt deserve the s*** he is copping

Hitup

Post by Hitup » Fri 24 May, 2013 4:55 pm

Great service delivering us a title, but if his just wanting the $$$ without showing the board his worth it then I agree a reduced amount should be tabled. Benji and his manager will see it as an insult with a reduced offer, but times change if this ends I hope it ends well because of the service his given our club.
If they see brooks/Benji as the next 4 season I'm all for it but not at 1million a year on current form.
Surely more players will leave so we can sign up Moses and place him on the bench a year out from Benji retiring from the nrl.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 24 May, 2013 4:59 pm

I wonder what his team mates are thinking about the Benji Circus right at this time when the clubs at its lowest of lows?

Hitup

Post by Hitup » Fri 24 May, 2013 5:53 pm

Reported on channel 10, Benji has asked for a 5 year deal worth 800k a season 150k more than his on now. He will be payed about the same as robbie.

Milky

Post by Milky » Fri 24 May, 2013 6:00 pm

Hitup wrote:Reported on channel 10, Benji has asked for a 5 year deal worth 800k a season 150k more than his on now. He will be payed about the same as robbie.
We can get 3 big name props with that money...