•  Recent Topics
ImageImageImage
willow

Media Reports

Post by willow » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:01 pm

Marshall hails his wounded Wests Tigers
By By Ian McCullough
Sun 09th June, 6:49pm

Stand-in Wests Tigers skipper Benji Marshall hailed the performance of his young teammates as the joint-venture's battered, bruised and patched-up side came from behind to beat Penrith by 20-18 on Sunday.

Trailing 18-4 just before halftime to one of the NRL's form teams, who'd won four of their last five games, the Tigers hit back with three unanswered tries to David Nofoaluma - his second - Ava Seumanufagai and Tim Simona to seal a memorable victory at Centrebet Stadium.

Marshall, who made his debut for the Tigers in 2003, said the result was one of the best he could remember with a dozen first graders, including captain Robbie Farah, sidelined through injury and winger Marika Koroibete joining them for up to six weeks after dislocating his elbow in the first half.

"It would be one of the gutsiest for sure," Marshall said.

"At halftime we said if we could run a bit harder and tackle a bit harder we would give ourselves a chance.

"The try before halftime definitely helped, we were on the back foot for a while there and it gave us the confidence to come out and have a go."

Tigers coach Mick Potter admitted he feared the worst when his side had to defend five successive sets of six in the opening five minutes before David Simmons opened the scoring for the hosts.

However, he said his team's character got them over the line to seal a second successive win.

"I thought we did really well considering we didn't have any ball for the first five sets," Potter said.

"I think the tackle count was zero for them and when they did get the ball they beat us up a bit.

"But we showed real resilience to hang in there and the try from Tim Simona to win the game was fantastic."

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary was philosophical about the loss, saying his side were caught out by their inexperience.

"We opened the door and it was a stirring comeback and they should be congratulated," Cleary said.

"It was a tough game and it was close, the second half was one of the games where we had chances but we couldn't nail it.

"Then when we went behind, because it is something we haven't had to do for a while, we didn't handle it too well."

Cleary admitted last week's bye could have disrupted the momentum created by the Panthers' recent run but refused to use it as an excuse.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:04 pm

Tigers on the mend to push for NRL finals
By Ian McCullough
Sun 09th June, 7:21pm

Coach Mick Potter says Wests Tigers' hopes of a stirring run towards the NRL finals in the second half of the season will be boosted by the return of some of their big-name players.

After enduring a club-record seven straight losses, Mick Potter's side have now won two in a row after seeing off Penrith 20-18 with a gutsy display at Centrebet Stadium on Sunday.

The Tigers head to Brisbane next week and could have senior players Chris Lawrence, Blake Ayshford, Liam Fulton and James Tedesco back to face the Broncos.

Potter will still be without the likes of Robbie Farah, Keith Galloway, Lote Tuqiri and long-term injury victims Matt Groat and Tim Moltzen for the trip to Suncorp Stadium.

Winger Marika Koroibete will also be missing for six weeks after dislocating his elbow against the Panthers.

However, Potter, who has been forced to give debuts to seven players this year and had four of his team on Sunday with less than 10 NRL appearances to their name, said there's light at the end of the tunnel.

"We have potentially got some players coming back," Potter said.

"But it's good to know you can rely on some younger guys and over the last seven weeks, even though we have lost, we have built a bit of a buffer beneath us.

"The players are getting experience and getting the better for it, but the luxury of being able to pick some experienced players will be nice."

The Tigers' win at Centrebet Stadium was only their fourth of the season but they are now only two points outside the top eight.

Centre Tim Simona, who has just 11 games under his belt, scored the winning try with a sizzling 70-metre run which took him past three defenders before diving under the posts.

Simona said scoring his first try was not only sweet because it secured the win, but because it gone one back on Penrith's Dean Whare.

Whare produced one of the best clean hits of the season to poleaxe Simona in the second half and let him know about it in no uncertain terms.

"He was spraying me the whole game and it was a bit embarrassing being put on my back," the 22-year-old said.

"We talk heaps on Twitter, but I don't really know him, but he was giving it to me, saying 'go on, run again'.

"So it was great to get the win for the boys."

Simona could lose his place in the centres to Lawrence next week, but with the injury to Koroibete he could find himself on the wing against Brisbane.

"I don't mind where I play, we have a lot of injuries, but we've won two in a row now and we think we can turn things around."

In Sunday's other game the Warriors continued their resurgence with a hard-fought 18-16 win over Manly in Auckland.

It was the third straight win for Matt Elliott's side who have bounced back well from a 62-6 loss to Penrith in round 10.

"I wouldn't put it down as a slick performance but I would put it down as our most meaningful performance of the year," Elliott said.

"That's a high quality team that we played tonight and we probably didn't start in the fashion we would have liked. I thought it was a real indication of where the character of the Warriors is headed."

willow

Post by willow » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:07 pm

Tigers claw their way past Panthers
June 9, 2013 - 5:33PM
Michael Chammas
Rugby league reporter

In a match that was dubbed 'the battle for the second-tier salary cap cup', the slightly worse off Wests Tigers ended Penrith's three-game winning streak with a 20-18 win at Centrebet Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

At the start of the year you would've expected most of the players that took the field yesterday to be playing in the NSW Cup or Holden Cup, but the absence of the big names did little to diminish the quality of football played at the foot of the mountains.

An incredible 80-metre individual effort from Tigers centre Tim Simona handed the visitors their second consecutive win of the season, beating Luke Walsh, Dean Whare and David Simmons before turning fullback Wes Naiqama inside out to score the match-winner.
Advertisement

The Panthers came into the game on the back of three consecutive victories against the Storm, Warriors and Dragons and attracted the biggest home crowd (16,827) since round 19, 2011.

But after ending their seven-game losing streak against North Queensland at Leichhardt Oval a fortnight ago, the Tigers continued their winning ways, coming back from an 18-4 deficit to claim victory.

The injury ravaged Tigers, already missing the likes of Keith Galloway, Chris Lawrence, Tim Moltzen and Blake Ayshford, were dealt another huge blow mid-week when their skipper Robbie Farah was ruled out after fracturing his cheekbone in NSW's Origin triumph on Wednesday night.

The news only got worse for the Tigers, who lost winger Marika Koroibete mid-way through the first half to a dislocated elbow.

But with 16 men, Mick Potter's side showed plenty of courage and determination to overcome a confident Panthers outfit for the seventh consecutive time.

Whatever momentum the Tigers gained from their last-start victory against the Cowboys a fortnight ago was gone in the opening minutes.

Mistakes and penalties saw them start the match defending four consecutive sets, before Whare's freakish offload on his way over the touchline provided Simmons with the first points of the match.

In fact, it took eight minutes for the Tigers to gain possession, but even then they dropped the pill after just two tackles.

David Nofoaluma caught Walsh napping down the short side to score the Tigers' first try of the afternoon, before Mose Masoe crashed through Adam Blair and Eddy Pettybourne to take the Panthers out to a 12-4 lead after 17 minutes.

Whare and Simmons again combined for the Panthers' third try, but this time it was Whare who was the beneficiary of the lead-up work from his winger.

On the stroke of half time, a pin-point cut-out pass from Marshall put Nofoaluma in for his second try of the afternoon.

The Tigers reduced the deficit to four points early in the second half when Ava Seumanufagai latched on to a grubber within centimetres of the deadball line to nab the first try of his NRL career.

The Tigers could've hit the lead through Curtis Sironen after he leapt above the pack to collect a Marshall bomb, but somehow James Segeyaro wrapped his arms around the ball and showed enormous strength to prevent the halfback from scoring alongside the posts.

The biggest hit of the day, and possibly the season, went to Whare for his bellringer on Simona, but the Tigers centre extracted his revenge when he beat three Panthers defenders before turning Naiqama inside-out to score a brilliant solo try.

WESTS TIGERS 20 (D Nofoaluma 2 A Seumanufagai T Simona tries B Marshall 2 goals) bt PENRITH 18 (M Masoe D Simmons D Whare tries L Walsh 3 goals) at Centrebet Stadium. Referee: Jared Maxwell, Phil Haines. Crowd: 16,827.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:32 pm

willow wrote:Tigers on the mend to push for NRL finals
By Ian McCullough

The Tigers head to Brisbane next week and could have senior players Chris Lawrence, Blake Ayshford, Liam Fulton and James Tedesco back to face the Broncos.
Let's hope we only get Teddy and Liam back, quite frankly, I think we're better off without Chris and Blake.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:49 pm

Tigerdave wrote:
By Ian McCullough

Let's hope we only get Teddy and Liam back, quite frankly, I think we're better off without Chris and Blake.
With Koro out and Nofo limping we might actually need Chris and Blake next game :(

Moh

Post by Moh » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:51 pm

Agree slightly about Lawrence, but not so much Ayshford.

I think Ayshford is really hard done by on the forums. He's tough to bring down and is far more likely to hit form than Lawrence IMO.

Of course, I'm more than willing for Lawrence to prove us doubters wrong. Love the guy!

In saying that though, I'm a huge fan of Simona. So it's tough to fit all 3 of them in along with Reddy who cannot and should not be dropped. Simona shouldn't be dropped either.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:52 pm

Tigerdave wrote:
By Ian McCullough

Chris and Blake would only bring back the bad WT form of earlier this season. At the moment we don't have every opposition team's Tom, Richard and Harry making breaks through our centres and wingers. Let's keep it that way.

GoldXR50Leroy

Post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:55 pm

Probably the best game the side has played to date, in front of a big opposition crowd and down early on only to dig deep and snatch a victory at the tail end of the game against a 'form' side.
Can't wait till we get some troops back, coach Potter is going to have a huge selection headache shortly, I hope!.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 6:35 am

Love the WestsTigers wrote:
Tigerdave wrote:
By Ian McCullough

With Koro out and Nofo limping we might actually need Chris and Blake next game :(
Unfortunately yeah, that is likely, well, certainly with Marika. Stick Rowdy out on the wing and hope Nofo is right.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 7:48 am

Moh wrote: So it's tough to fit all 3 of them in along with Reddy who cannot and should not be dropped. Simona shouldn't be dropped either.
I can't see how you can drop either Reddy or Simona. I think Lawrence has to replace Koro on the wing. Ayshford to me might have to go to the bench.

Maybe if Nofo is out Reddy goes to the wing and Ayshford comes in.

At some point though Nofo, Koro, Simona and Reddy should be our outside backs. I have no idea where that leaves Lawrence and Ayshford.

Stripes96
Location: Where the folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most

Post by Stripes96 » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 8:08 am

If I was coach, I'd have Ayshford in over Rowdy. Ayshford still looks to have some spark in him, and always bumps off a few tacklers. His defense is also solid, and he doesn't miss many tackles. Lawrence on the other hand, looks slow and is easily tackled. His defense has also fallen away in the past year too.

1. Teddy
2. Nofo
3. Ayshford
4. Simona
5. Reddy

That's my backline for next week

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Moh

Post by Moh » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 11:04 am

Yup, that is what I'd go with too Stripes.

Just hard to imagine Potter won't pick Lawrence. I haven't entirely given up on him, but how can you drop any of the players Stripes named? Pretty tough.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 11:54 am

Swap Reddya & Simon and I would go with that side Stripes but we will likely see Nofo out so it will be Reddy and Simona to the wings

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 2:33 pm

i dont like simona under the high ball
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 3:10 pm

Reddy and Simona should keep their spots.

Ashford and Lawrence fight it out for Koro's wing spot imo perhaps in a catching contest similar to Tedesco and Utai.

Lawrence has been our biggest defensive liability all year.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 4:40 pm

willow wrote: Potter will still be without the likes of Robbie Farah, Keith Galloway, Lote Tuqiri and long-term injury victims Matt Groat and Tim Moltzen for the trip to Suncorp Stadium.
Is Groat injured or just lacking match fitness?

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 4:42 pm

I think they just got Groat confused with Gavet as Groat played yesterday