Potter/This year

ImageImageImage
Eddie

Potter/This year

Post by Eddie » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 8:36 pm

In the long run this year will be great for both Potter and the club. In a funny kind of way I am enjoying it more then many of the previous years. Both Potter and the club are going to benefit from this kind of year because of the amount of adversity and the experiences gained. We could have had another year of the Top 20 squad players blowing hot and cold hoping to catch fire in the Top 8 late in the year. Another year of hoping the same old players revitalise themselves. Or we could have a year like this. A year of crisis, mass injuries, floggings, youngsters, unlikely wins, turmoil etc. Where basically every single player has a chance to sink or swim, gets games under their belt.

Potter has had to stand up to an incredible amount of circumstances. The inherited squad, inherited coaches, massive injuries, board and ceo drama. I am not saying he has passed it with flying colours. Like most rookie coaches, he has made mistakes. He will probably finish in the bottom 4. However i have been very impressed how he hasn't lost his rag. He hasn't thrown a wobbly or made 1000 excuses like Tim Sheens used to do. He wants us still to win and be accountable. Not all the squad are responding to him. However Potter will be able to read those signs in that regard and make decisions of his own soon in that regard. In a few ways he already has. I was been happy with the way he has juggled the side in general, giving young players tastes of the action without burying them in the week in week out grind. Basically this baptism of fire could not have been any harsher for Potter, and this sort of experience will steel him for the years to come. He looks like a man up for the fight.

Its also great to see young players with enthusiasum, playing for contracts, competing for spots. Not all of them are going great guns,. Some won't make the cut, some will come on quicker then expected. We have shown a lot of ticker in the past couple of games in circumstances where we should basically have no chance to win the game. It has been the youngsters leading the way as well, Blair, Marshall, Anasta haven't done much as our senior pros. For me it is a bonus that we are getting 10-15 games into these kids before they are ready. Even if they are getting a hiding most weeks, the experience will benefit them in the long run. The last couple of rounds have shown the likes of Moltzen, Lawrence, Ayshford, Tuqiri, Utai, Fulton that they can't come waltzing back into the team and they can't afford to go through the motions like in previous stints.

I don' think this winning streak will amount to much to be honest. I expect us to get towelled up a few more times and finish in the bottom 4. Im not saying we are on the crest of a wave. More that this year is the year we had to have in a way. That Potter and the players will be battle hardened by the experience. That Potter will be in a great position of power to make sensible and calculated alls on the future roster. I'm seeing positive signs with the young talent and the backbone they are showing. Like we all know we also have a couple of very smart halves that might come into play later in the year or early next year. The way things have unfolded this year gives us a better chance of making the right decisions and being higher up the ladder in 2014 and 2015. Like I said in a strange way i'm enjoying it more then some other years, and i think we will benefit from it.

Pokies

Post by Pokies » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 9:30 pm

I've heard Gus Gould mention on a few occasions that you don't become a real Nrl coach until you go through a 4 game losing streak. Well potter certainly encountered that situation early on with 7 straight defeats. Throw in all the rumour and speculation that goes with a long losing streak plus our crippling injury list and our CEO resigning its been one hell of an initiation.
As you say Eddie it's amazing how calm and collected he has been through it all, most blokes would have surely lost their cool at some stage. Lets hope Potter can continue to build on this initial tough experience and turn it into a long term positive.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 9:33 pm

Cool..calm...collective .... Certainly has had things to deal with as a first year coach.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 9:54 pm

Consider where he was coaching. He was coaching a team that was in administration and players were not getting paid. He managed to get them up week after week. Probably the worst coaching scenario possible, even worse than Wests injury issues.

Puts it all in perspective.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by innsaneink » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:01 pm

Tossed into the deep end, it doesnt get much worse than this.....only way is up and we're seeing it already....patience reqd, the mess Sheens left will take a few years to be rid of, but weve started

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:08 pm

innsaneink wrote:Tossed into the deep end, it doesnt get much worse than this.....only way is up and we're seeing it already....patience reqd, the mess Sheens left will take a few years to be rid of, but weve started
Like you say, patience is key. There are some on this forum who change at the drop of a hat. Inconsistency will be our companion for some but it will be worth it in the end.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:09 pm

He has not performed any better than Sheens.
We are paying for two coaches and pretty much it's more of the same as last year.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:10 pm

Very impressed with the man,has not dodged a press conference,has not sent his captain or his assistant to face the music after a average performance. Its always been the same message,lots of hard work and we will get better,theirs been no blame game. Given a good run from the injury gods, this bloke will be a very good coach and I think by 2015 we will be up their with the front runners. Such a pleasant change from his predecessor.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:13 pm

Irvine wrote:He has not performed any better than Sheens.
We are paying for two coaches and pretty much it's more of the same as last year.
He handles the media far better with a no excuses policy unlike Sheens.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:16 pm

willow wrote:
He handles the media far better with a no excuses policy unlike Sheens.
That was funny stuff from the super coach.
I am not blaming the ref's but..........
I am not blaming our injuries but........
I am not blaming the weather but....

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:23 pm

Doing a great job .TOdays win was one of best wins in the clubs history.
12 regular it's graders out ,our captain on the sideline ,yeah I think Potter has the goods ,and like Ink said ,patience is needed .

macman

Post by macman » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:26 pm

Great post Eddie

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:32 pm

His a very good coach we all knew we need time just wait and see the guns were signing for next year will be a top team next year or after were finally showing what we can do will only get better by time.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 10:40 pm

That is a very simplistic way of looking at things. I could also look at in a different simplistic way...

I think the side ran out bookies favourites 16 times last year. And started premiership favourites. They finished 10th with more losses then wins. Therefore Sheens had them performing well below expectations. He didn't get as much out of them as he should have.

This season we have been favourites just twice yet won 4 games. So therefore Potter has them performing above expectation somewhat??. Which is a coaches job, to get something more out of the players then expected.

You could poke holes in that theory, and i could poke plenty of holes in your theory,

owley girl

Post by owley girl » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 11:42 am

Potter inherited the team. A lot of them had many years of Sheens-style coaching. Some only had Sheens as coach. Without bashing Sheens, he does seem to have an unique approach. It's no surprise to see this team struggle with a new and more structured coach. With so many injuries to established players, it's interesting to see how well players not so touched by the hand of Sheens are reacting.

Give Potter time and the team he really wants.

And yeah, I'd much prefer Potter's calm approach to press conferences than a Hasler or Toovey blaming everything from referees to judiciary to bad feng shui in the dressing room.